AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-24, 18:30   Link #1
Miyilu

Unhappy WMT Series

I'm desperately searching for WMT-Series (other than Akage no Anne.... already got that from this site ^^) on DVD...or fansub or whatever...just anything!!!

Can anybody help me? Where can I (from europe) buy japanese DVDs... or are there even english DVDs with series like for example Little princess Sara?!

If they're not licensed, how come there're no fansubs out there?

Pleeeaaase help meee
Old 2004-03-24, 19:01   Link #2
oDin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyilu
Can anybody help me? Where can I (from europe) buy japanese DVDs...
Can't help you with your other questions.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
http://www.amotokyo.com/
http://jungle-scs.co.jp/en/index.htm
Old 2004-03-24, 20:21   Link #3
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Why aren't there any fansubs of the World Masterpiece Theatre series? Simply
put, not many people today would be interested in the beautiful stories that
they depict. Today's fansubbers seem more interested in series with obscene
amounts of fanservice, shallow plots and over done CG effects.

If your interested in finding all the series on DVD (or some other media) this site
will be useful to you. It lists the series names, in several languages, as well as
the year they aired. If used with a site like CDJapan, your search should become
slightly easier.

Good luck hunting.
Old 2004-03-25, 20:56   Link #4
jennwenn

I think some of the World Masterpiece Theater series are released in Korea with English subs. Try YesAsia or KoreanDVDs (too lazy to link, just google 'em.....)

R3 Korean DVDs are a hidden treasure. They are waaaaaay cheaper than Japanese R2 DVDs, sometimes even cheaper than R1s!

And if you speak French or Spanish or something, they may be released in Europe. I'm not sure about that though...
Old 2004-03-26, 00:29   Link #5
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Talking

i am a diehard Classic anime collector
oldies on my collection
Classics anime
perrine en familie TV DVD
Heidi of the mountain TV DVD
Candy Candy DVD TV 1-115
Galaxy express DVD TV1 to 36 DVD
etc etc ...I havent seen those series eg..princess sara etc but they say its really good i will keep on eye on that
Old 2004-03-26, 00:32   Link #6
Yamano667
Banned

Red face

there are not being fansubed because popularity is almost nil ..raw material is almost impossible to get ..so tough luck

Last edited by Yamano667; 2004-03-26 at 00:46.
Old 2004-03-26, 04:10   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
there are not being fansubed because popularity is almost nil ..raw material is almost impossible to get ..so tough luck
A statement such as that just deserves to be proven wrong..

So for raw availability, if your willing to spend the money and get these great series:

Heidi (Alps no Shojo Heidi): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-164 to BCBA-176, all instock at CDJapan.

Dog of Flanders (Furandaasu no Inu): This one is actually licensed.

3000 Leagues in Search of Mother aka. Marco (haha wo tazunete sanzen ri): It's currently being fansubbed. DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-77 to BCBA-89, all instock at CDJapan.

Raccoon Rascal (arigama rasucaru): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-102 to BCBA-114, all instock at CDJapan.

The Story of Perrine (periinu monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-416 to BCBA-428, all instock at CDJapan.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (toomu sooyaa no bouken): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-190 to BCBA-201, all instock at CDJapan.

The Robinson Family Lost at Sea (kazoku robinson hyouryuuki fushigina shima no furoone): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-572 to BCBA-583, all instock at CDJapan.

Lucy of the Southern Rainbows (minami no niji no ruushii): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-548 to BCBA-559, all instock at CDJapan.

Story of the Alps, my Annette (arupusu monogatari watashi no annetto): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-707 to BCBA-718, all instock at CDJapan.

Katri, girl of the Meadows (makiba no shoujo katori): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-683 to BCBA-694, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Princess Sara (Shoukoujo seera): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-395 to BCBA-405, all instock at CDJapan.

Tale of Pollyanna, Girl of Love (ai shoujo porianna monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-560 to BCBA-571, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Women (ai no wakakusa monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-695 to BCBA-706, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Prince Cedie (shoukoushi sedi): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-847 to BCBA-856, all instock at CDJapan.

The Adventures of Peter Pan (piitaa pan no bouken): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-406 to BCBA-415, all instock at CDJapan.

Daddy Long-legs (watashi no ashinaga ojisan): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1085 to BCBA-1094, all instock at CDJapan.

Story of the Trappe Family (torappu ikka monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1105 to BCBA-1114, all instock at CDJapan.

Buch Baby, Little Angel of the Grasslands (sougen no chiisana tenshi busshu beibii): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1095 to BCBA-1104, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Women II, Jo's Boys (wakakusa monogatari nan to joo sensei): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1241 to BCBA-1250, all instock at CDJapan.

Tico of the Seven Seas (nanatsu no umi no tiko): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-857 to BCBA-865, all instock at CDJapan.

Romeo's Blue Skies (Romio no aoisora): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-839 to BCBA-846, all instock at CDJapan. (CDJapan calls this one "Romeo and the Black Brothers" for some reason)

Lassie (meiken rashii): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1251 to BCBA-1256, all instock at CDJapan.

Remi the Homeless Girl (ie naki ko remi): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1235 to BCBA-1240, all instock at CDJapan.

Every episode of every series is available on DVD. Raws aren't impossible to get, they're just really expensive.
Old 2004-03-26, 09:46   Link #8
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Yeah, as was said, it's not that groups don't want to pick up these shows. I'm sure there are a lot of groups that would love to subtitle a older show from the 80s or 90s, but the fact of the matter is that a new raw is a Winny job. Log onto Winny and grab your raws. Free of charge and hassle (if you're lucky heh). Getting raws for those older series are a whole 'nother game. You either need someone in your group with cash to shell out (rare, few enough bums have jobs, let alone cash for R2 DVDs :P) or something willing to send you the DVDs and work on your terms (rare).

It's a shame, but that is how it is.
Old 2004-03-26, 12:10   Link #9
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
\Dog of Flanders (Furandaasu no Inu): This one is actually licensed.
I thought the movie version was licensed, but not the TV series?

Anyway, (illegal) raws aren't that hard to find. I've seen some on WinMX...
Old 2004-03-26, 12:36   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Your right, only the movie is licensed. My mistake.

Dog of Flanders (Furandaasu no Inu): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-177 to BCBA-189, all instock at CDJapan.

As a side comment there are movie versions of every World Materpiece Theatre
series. However, I would recommend against them. Although good in and of
themselves, they are nothing more than heavily, to the extremely, edited
versions of the TV series. Basically they took the television series and compress
it to fit a running time between one or two hours long.
Old 2004-03-26, 17:27   Link #11
Yamano667
Banned

Wow you guys are rich to buy all those series on DVD
and spend on tax and custom duties ...and then subbing them
I will let you know when i win the 32 million jackpot and then i will buy them

Quote:
A statement such as that just deserves to be proven wrong..

So for raw availability, if your willing to spend the money and get these great series:

Heidi (Alps no Shojo Heidi): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-164 to BCBA-176, all instock at CDJapan.

Dog of Flanders (Furandaasu no Inu): This one is actually licensed.

3000 Leagues in Search of Mother aka. Marco (haha wo tazunete sanzen ri): It's currently being fansubbed. DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-77 to BCBA-89, all instock at CDJapan.

Raccoon Rascal (arigama rasucaru): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-102 to BCBA-114, all instock at CDJapan.

The Story of Perrine (periinu monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-416 to BCBA-428, all instock at CDJapan.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (toomu sooyaa no bouken): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-190 to BCBA-201, all instock at CDJapan.

The Robinson Family Lost at Sea (kazoku robinson hyouryuuki fushigina shima no furoone): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-572 to BCBA-583, all instock at CDJapan.

Lucy of the Southern Rainbows (minami no niji no ruushii): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-548 to BCBA-559, all instock at CDJapan.

Story of the Alps, my Annette (arupusu monogatari watashi no annetto): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-707 to BCBA-718, all instock at CDJapan.

Katri, girl of the Meadows (makiba no shoujo katori): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-683 to BCBA-694, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Princess Sara (Shoukoujo seera): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-395 to BCBA-405, all instock at CDJapan.

Tale of Pollyanna, Girl of Love (ai shoujo porianna monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-560 to BCBA-571, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Women (ai no wakakusa monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-695 to BCBA-706, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Prince Cedie (shoukoushi sedi): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-847 to BCBA-856, all instock at CDJapan.

The Adventures of Peter Pan (piitaa pan no bouken): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-406 to BCBA-415, all instock at CDJapan.

Daddy Long-legs (watashi no ashinaga ojisan): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1085 to BCBA-1094, all instock at CDJapan.

Story of the Trappe Family (torappu ikka monogatari): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1105 to BCBA-1114, all instock at CDJapan.

Buch Baby, Little Angel of the Grasslands (sougen no chiisana tenshi busshu beibii): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1095 to BCBA-1104, all instock at CDJapan.

Little Women II, Jo's Boys (wakakusa monogatari nan to joo sensei): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1241 to BCBA-1250, all instock at CDJapan.

Tico of the Seven Seas (nanatsu no umi no tiko): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-857 to BCBA-865, all instock at CDJapan.

Romeo's Blue Skies (Romio no aoisora): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-839 to BCBA-846, all instock at CDJapan. (CDJapan calls this one "Romeo and the Black Brothers" for some reason)

Lassie (meiken rashii): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1251 to BCBA-1256, all instock at CDJapan.

Remi the Homeless Girl (ie naki ko remi): DVD Catalog Numbers: BCBA-1235 to BCBA-1240, all instock at CDJapan.

Every episode of every series is available on DVD. Raws aren't impossible to get, they're just really expensive.
Old 2004-03-26, 17:33   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Not really. I'm actually surprised no one in Japan is doing rawfeeding onto Winny as these World Masterpiece Theater series often air on the classic channel on CS satellite. Sometimes, they would also do re-runs on regular TV.

For me, Heidi~WataAnnette were shown even before I was born. Hence, the only way I was able to watch them were through re-runs on Saturday morning. I don't know if they still do them, but judging that these animes are our pasttime I have no reason to say they may still air them.
Old 2004-03-26, 17:36   Link #13
Yamano667
Banned

well if you get the raws ..I will sub them
Old 2004-03-26, 18:07   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Wow you guys are rich to buy all those series on DVD
and spend on tax and custom duties ...and then subbing them
..to brag is so easy but to do the real work in subbing is hard !!
First... You actually think I own all those?!

That's what, about 300 R2 DVDs?!
At 3,800 yen a disc that about 1,140,000 yen!
Average it out to plus 10% for shipping, import and duty fees.
So... about 1,254,000 yen...
add another 4% for the currency exchange...
1,304,160 yen total. $15,600 Canadain or $12,000 American.
Frankly speaking... I have far better things to spend that much money on.

Noone said you had to buy them all. But if you intend on getting a series for
your collection or for raw purposes, it certainly isn't hard to get the raws/DVDs.

My honest opinion: I work on old series, I don't mean 4 or 5 years old either.
Safest number would be between 12 to 20 years old. For the series I work on,
I'd wager 90% or more of the work per episode revolves around cleaning up
the raw and banging my head against the desk trying to figure out how to fix
it. As easy as it would be simply to crop 30 pixels off every side and drop
close to 2500 frames from the video, that option isn't really plausable.

The translation, timing, typesetting and editing portions of the process are
the easiest, by far. If I had DVD sources like those I'd be in heaven, half or
more of the work that I do wouldn't need done.

Quote:
well if you get the raws ..I will sub them
Raws are easy to get. I provided you with all the information you'll need.
Go find them yourself!

ARGH!!
Old 2004-03-26, 18:20   Link #15
Yamano667
Banned

well I do have better things to waste my money on
i rarely buy anime on DVD
Old 2004-03-26, 18:22   Link #16
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
First... You actually think I own all those?!

That's what, about 300 R2 DVDs?!
At 3,800 yen a disc that about 1,140,000 yen!
Average it out to plus 10% for shipping, import and duty fees.
So... about 1,254,000 yen...
add another 4% for the currency exchange...
1,304,160 yen total. $15,600 Canadain or $12,000 American.
Frankly speaking... I have far better things to spend that much money on.

Noone said you had to buy them all. But if you intend on getting a series for
your collection or for raw purposes, it certainly isn't hard to get the raws/DVDs.

My honest opinion: I work on old series, I don't mean 4 or 5 years old either.
Safest number would be between 12 to 20 years old. For the series I work on,
I'd wager 90% or more of the work per episode revolves around cleaning up
the raw and banging my head against the desk trying to figure out how to fix
it. As easy as it would be simply to crop 30 pixels off every side and drop
close to 2500 frames from the video, that option isn't really plausable.

The translation, timing, typesetting and editing portions of the process are
the easiest, by far. If I had DVD sources like those I'd be in heaven, half or
more of the work that I do wouldn't need done.

Raws are easy to get. I provided you with all the information you'll need.
Go find them yourself!

ARGH!!

Well, if you don't need the DVD version and would settle for the LD-Box sets or even a VHS version of them, you can easily find them at the various locations around Mandarake and used anime shops for much cheaper for around 10,000-20,000 yen per set. Especially those "newer" WMT series which are only 26 episodes.
Old 2004-03-26, 18:27   Link #17
Yamano667
Banned

VHS=they take too much space and DVDs saves space and quality stays there
forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Well, if you don't need the DVD version and would settle for the LD-Box sets or even a VHS version of them, you can easily find them at the various locations around Mandarake and used anime shops for much cheaper for around 10,000-20,000 yen per set. Especially those "newer" WMT series which are only 26 episodes.
Old 2004-03-26, 19:08   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
VHS=they take too much space and DVDs saves space and quality stays there forever
To be honest, I have my doubts for the DVDs ability to maintain their quality "forever." Such was the case sales-catchphrase for LaserDiscs back then only to find that ten to fifteen years later, laser rots occur.

I agree with the "take too much space" definitely. I'm just amazed how my bookcase can handle the weight of all that LDs without breaking apart.

On the other hand, LDs are great since the discs are large - they can cover beautiful and large LP-size cover designs and extras. My Cardcaptor Sakura 18-disc LD-box set is a treasure...
Old 2004-03-26, 23:18   Link #19
Yamano667
Banned

My Cardcaptor Sakura is also my treasure *hugs the DVDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
To be honest, I have my doubts for the DVDs ability to maintain their quality "forever." Such was the case sales-catchphrase for LaserDiscs back then only to find that ten to fifteen years later, laser rots occur.

I agree with the "take too much space" definitely. I'm just amazed how my bookcase can handle the weight of all that LDs without breaking apart.

On the other hand, LDs are great since the discs are large - they can cover beautiful and large LP-size cover designs and extras. My Cardcaptor Sakura 18-disc LD-box set is a treasure...
Closed Thread