AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-28, 16:59   Link #1
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

How do people enjoy romance anime?

I don't mean to be offensive to anybody,to neither the audience nor the creators of the said shows, but I am very curious as to why some people find them interesting?

I am pretty sure I would never watch an anime that didn't have a "mission" in it (through that is me being weird),from fighting others to become the next God to surviving in another timeline and more things like that.

I haven't watched any of this romatic anime,and I really don't find it interesting to have a story that is about two or more people's romantic and sexual relationships.

Then again,I haven't watched any,so I might be completely wrong.

I like romance when it adds a depth and a sub-plot to the story. A good example would be Shirley and Lelouch's relationship in Code Geass which affects Lelouch,his actions and even his personality considerably.

However,I can't see how a story that is about either only romance or only sex is going to have a good plot.

This is what I think about romance anime and such. If you have any points to make,please post below and convince me otherwise. Good romance anime suggestions with interesting plots might make me go through a change of heart completely and laugh at this post when I look back at it later on.

-Darky
Old 2012-02-28, 17:08   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

Simple. People watch these things to see whether particular characters pair up - or - not. If they happen to pair up, then further "examination" look for what they do as a pair.

Add a mix of drama, things can get pretty interesting.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 18:44   Link #3
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Ask Katsuragi Keima and he'll lecture you about this subject .

A romance story (or any story really) is one that centers around one particular problem (or problems), however small they may be. Without problems, then it is not a romance story. Seeing how they resolve these problems is a way to enjoy romance stories. In this way, you'll see that these romance stories are similar at the core with those anime with "missions" in it.

You will see that all romance stories has a core problem, anything from the silly ones like "indecisiveness of the male lead" all the way to grandeur like "different social standings". There's always something that makes it interesting before they go happily ever after (sometimes they even don't).
Old 2012-02-28, 20:50   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The reasons people have for watching and enjoying these shows are probably as diverse as the reasons for our preferences about anything in life. And even when you're talking about shows with romance as a major/central theme, there is a lot of variety; in the broadest of terms, you have romantic stories that center more on comedy, and those that center more on drama, and even fans of romantic anime may have strong preferences for one over the other (and tolerance levels for the various extremes).

At their heart, I would say that most romantic stories revolve around character dynamics, interactions, and relationships. The purpose of the show is thus usually to put the characters into situations where their personalities have an opportunity to clash and interact. The enjoyment, at least for me, is in seeing those interactions play out and in seeing the character dynamics develop and change over time. The "mission" of the show, as it were, is simply to bear witness to the developing relationships, get to know the characters, and follow along until the story reaches its conclusion (or sometimes non-conclusion, as the case may be).

The key for me is to get invested in the characters. Seeing a character you like fall in love with someone and have their love requited is a heart-warming feeling. And likewise, seeing their love go unrequited and witnessing them go through the pain of rejection is heartbreaking. Some people get invested by picking a pairing they like and "cheering" for them throughout the show (and sometimes then get disappointed if the show doesn't go the way they would have liked). I personally just try to go along for the ride and take it all in; there are very few portrayed relationships that I have not liked, so long as the story does a reasonable job of leading us along the journey.

I would also say that, over time, you grow to recognize certain patterns of character personalities, and the dynamics that often result can form familiar and favoured patterns. For example, one of the common patterns is characters who seem haughty and off-putting but actually are harbouring deep romantic feelings that they just can't be honest about. This sort of dynamic has a way of playing out in these stories that some people (myself included...) find rather endearing. There are lots of other common personalities and characters and, given that anime comes and go each season, you can usually find a character that you can immediately like thanks to these recurring traits.

Personally, I find romantic anime to be oddly comforting; it can serve as a sort of emotional release as I allow myself to get invested in the situations, and allow myself to feel for what the characters are going through. I have a job that stretches my mind and creativity, so I find that, in my "off-hours", I tend to look for entertainment that pushes my emotions. Rather than looking for something that makes me think deeply or that makes me feel tense and excited, I tend to love shows that can move me emotionally; shows that can make me smile deeply and make me cry sincerely. Romantic anime tends to do that for me.

So I don't know if any of that will make sense, because it ultimately comes down to the fact that I what I'm generally looking for in an anime is quite different from what you might be looking for. Different perspectives, different desires, so different preferences. I would say even in my own family, my two sisters can't comprehend why I like romantic anime so much when they don't; it's just a personal thing, I guess. The most important thing is to know what you like so that you can find more of it, and maybe every once in a while to try something new so you don't get stuck in a rut. If you're willing to try some "cross-over" romantic anime, you could probably go to the Suggestions forum and look something up. You might find yourself opening up to new experiences.
Old 2012-02-28, 21:12   Link #5
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Because fictional love is the most important thing in the entire world.

........what?

I'm serious here.

Fine, it just gives me a very happy feeling that I can't explain. I don't know why. I just think it's so sweet and adorable and it makes me squeee. XD
Old 2012-02-28, 21:29   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm a fan of romance anime. Even if ecchi or action... I still long for even a glimpse of romane in the story....

Why?

It's the emotion... I can't explain it really... Same as Chibi... it has the feeling that is different... it gives a warm mood on the story....

Hayst... it's because of LOVE!!! Love is everything! Love affects actions and moods... it definitely affects the plot of the story.... Too much action, gore is boring... romance changes the mood in an instant.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 21:42   Link #7
raitouazura
Fallen God

Romance is the sugar coating in a story, especially when involving action (just my opinion)

Romance + Magic/Superpower + Action = My favorite anime/manga

Next one will not miss
raitouazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 21:46   Link #8
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In my experience, most anime romances put enough challenges around it, or obstacles to its development, to keep the broader narrative interesting. Then it becomes a question of "Will their love prove strong enough to overcome the obstacles put in its way?'.

These obstacles may, of course, include alternate romantic possibilities, resulting in love triangles and various other love shapes. So there is definitely some conflict and question here. When executed well, this can actually make for drama and suspense comparable to watching two armies go to war, or a powerful hero trying to stop a menacing villain from enacting his/her diabolical plan.

One added benefit to a story primarily about love or romance is that the vast majority of people can relate to it. Most people have experienced romantic love at one time or another in their life, and even for those who haven't, they tend to have at least some understanding of romantic love.

I myself would probably never be satisfied with just "romance as the primary genre" anime, but such shows do make for a nice compliment to the other anime shows out there, imo.
Old 2012-02-28, 23:05   Link #9
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I myself would probably never be satisfied with just "romance as the primary genre" anime, but such shows do make for a nice compliment to the other anime shows out there, imo.
Yes, I have to agree with this. As funny as it is (because I looove to ship), straight-up romance genre without anything else going on can be a little hard to sit through. Mostly because the author/creator decides to throw in relationship drama.

...and I already ranted about that in a recent thread.

I think it's probably okay to center on romance if the series is a short one (12 eps). B Gata H Kei is a perfect example. I never got bored or tired of YamadaxKosuda...but that might have been because I was too busy rolling around on the floor laughing.
Old 2012-02-28, 23:22   Link #10
Nihokon

I like to watch romance Anime because character relationships and interactions are usually their main attraction point.

Though for romance, I prefer the ones that only have single heroine like Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. I find that the characters tend to be more developed this way.
Old 2012-02-29, 00:01   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, it’s all about taste really. Some people like action, some other enjoy horror and some other prefer romance. Then again, how can you don’t like/hate something if you never try it (even if only once) before? That’s quite weird imo. Take it like this:

X : I don’t understand why people like tea.
Me: Well, what you don’t like about tea?
X : Errmm...I’m not sure, but I always think It’s (insert negative adjective(s) here)
Me: .....have you tried it before?
X : No, I haven’t. I don't like it.
Me: ... *facepalm*

Seriously, unless it’s some kinds of drugs, crimes, morally wrong deeds, health-threatening activities or something your religion forbid, I think it’s only fair to judge something when you have actually tried it.

No offense to you specially, Darky. I just want to address something that often happen out there. I mentioned ‘you’ as in general people.
Old 2012-02-29, 00:31   Link #12
gsilver

I generally don't watch "romance" shows that spend most or all of the series with the "will they or won't they" question. Frankly, I find such shows boring. The reason why I like manga such as Love Roma so much is because it's one of the (sadly) few series that even give a glimpse as to what goes on after the couple is officially formed.

Stuff like Akazukin Chacha kind of bothers me, in that the 'official couple' from chapter one of the manga (Chacha and Riiya) is, albeit hastily, changed to a "will they or won't they" with a couple of lines of dialog late in the anime. Luckily, that's only a small portion of the show.

Then, there are shows like Boys Be. This show actually impressed me a lot when I first saw it. Each couple still spends most of the time in the "will they or won't they" phase, but it features many different couples, so it never feels like it's dragging things out, and it feels a lot more genuine than similar anime. Still, I would have liked it more if it continued to follow some of the couples afterward, but as the scarcity of such shows can attest, that's a far more difficult story to write.
Old 2012-02-29, 01:48   Link #13
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ah Boys Be. One of the two anime that got me into digital subs (the other being To Heart). Good times, for both. Bah, feel so notalgic for this series, time to go listen to the ED again...

As for me? I like watching romance anime (or even romance in general) because I like getting invested into a couple, and then read the clues and hints to make an educated guess on their chances to get together by the end of the series. On the way, I like gushing over how sweet the two are together, or make up reasons why they are meant to be together.

In other words, the very definition of 'shipping'.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 02:41   Link #14
Eragon
Still Alive

Well, first of all the answer to this question depends on how much anime the OP has seen. If he's just started and if he's into action genre then he probably won't look past it for some time. Many of us here probably started out with a shounen series and continued with that genre for quite awhile before branching out. As for why I enjoy romance anime, well its simple..It makes me happy to see two characters who are in love happy. It also sometimes helps you to appreciate the little things in life or teach the importance of relationships(Clannad & Clannad AS).
Old 2012-02-29, 06:14   Link #15
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

it depend on people preference, just like me hate most violent movie, series, anime and i don't understand why they want to see people harming each other.
what i love about anime is the pure relationships between characters which failed to find in other kind of media as much as in anime and i love to get emotional when watching anime too , so i guess that why i love romance anime

P.S: thinking of staring a why people like violent movie, series, anime thread
Old 2012-02-29, 06:39   Link #16
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I like romance anime because it develops one or more pairings (harem included) relationships in different ways. My favorites are the ones when action and romance are two major genres at the same time : my examples include Negima!, Qwaser of Stigmata and some others.

To me, combining action and romance as the main two genres of an anime combined like a fusion and will always bring people to like that kind in order to expand the horizons.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 08:22   Link #17
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Eh? Romance is never just romance, there's always drama of some sort- Even if the series is mostly comedy, they would still have some drama to build up actual romance progress.

Secondly, in my experience, Romance stories are more character focused than plot-based, or 'Mission' as you put it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 08:30   Link #18
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, it’s all about taste really. Some people like action, some other enjoy horror and some other prefer romance. Then again, how can you don’t like/hate something if you never try it (even if only once) before? That’s quite weird imo. Take it like this:

X : I don’t understand why people like tea.
Me: Well, what you don’t like about tea?
X : Errmm...I’m not sure, but I always think It’s (insert negative adjective(s) here)
Me: .....have you tried it before?
X : No, I haven’t. I don't like it.
Me: ... *facepalm*

Seriously, unless it’s some kinds of drugs, crimes, morally wrong deeds, health-threatening activities or something your religion forbid, I think it’s only fair to judge something when you have actually tried it.

No offense to you specially, Darky. I just want to address something that often happen out there. I mentioned ‘you’ as in general people.
I understand your point,and I agree that things shouldn't be judged before one actually has experience with them. However,I've also stated that this is just the way I think right now,and that I might think otherwise in the future.
Old 2012-02-29, 08:38   Link #19
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Romance anime often use the romance as a vehicle for lots of very suspenseful interpersonal drama and for character exploration, which are the things that appeal to me. I tend to absolutely not give a damn about who will end up with who (though I do tend to always wish the main characters to end up happy).

Last edited by fanty; 2012-02-29 at 12:59.
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 08:58   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkyPwnz View Post
However,I've also stated that this is just the way I think right now,and that I might think otherwise in the future.
Yeah, I noticed and that's great. I'm glad that you're not one of those people who religiously hate something they barely know.