AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-02, 17:27   Link #541
LightDragonman

True Art Is Angsty I guess.

Still though, all things considered, she probably was one of the most developed and likable characters in the show. Honestly, she should have been the main focus, as Haruto and Shouko are rather boring.
Old 2014-01-03, 08:44   Link #542
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
True Art Is Angsty I guess.

Still though, all things considered, she probably was one of the most developed and likable characters in the show. Honestly, she should have been the main focus, as Haruto and Shouko are rather boring.
Makes me wonder if the producers and writers completely underestimated Saki's likability. That dopey manga spinoff is just throwing bones at the fans.

Sunrise should just take her character concept and apply it to another mecha series were she's the real main character.
Old 2014-01-03, 09:16   Link #543
Key Board
Carbon

my theory is that they knew Saki and A-Drei would be popular
but they also knew that they these two won't be getting much screen time in S2
so PoV manga is a consolation, somewhat..
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2014-01-05, 10:17   Link #544
Divino

In the newest chapter of the Saki manga (chapter 7 I think). It is confirmed that A-Drei wanted to release her before the execution, but he couldn't do it because of the tight security and he told her this along with telling her he would still do it afterwards. So all this blaming towards A-Drei for Saki'steatment seems rather pointless after he did everything he could as a enemy of the opposing side in order to help her.
Old 2014-01-05, 13:46   Link #545
LightDragonman

Still could have kept her from being caught in the first place though.

Anyways, no wonder that she was rather defiant towards him after the execution, as he failed to free her before than. I wonder if he apologizes to her later on.

Also, do you think the manga will expand on what she was feeling after Haruto's death?
Old 2014-01-05, 14:07   Link #546
Frontier

I would hope so.

I was immensely disappointed that, even after giving her a scene in the finale that focused on her feelings for Haruto, they never bothered to show her reaction to his death like they did with Shoko.
Old 2014-01-05, 14:08   Link #547
Nitestorm

Events in the manga don't exactly match up with events in the anime though (for example, L-Elf was present when Saki offered herself to Haruto and even tried to defend him when L-Elf attempted to cut off his head - L-Elf also urged Haruto to go ahead and attack Saki). I wouldn't take too much stock into it.

Besides, in the anime she was giving him the silent treatment and only released her as "penance" for losing faith in L-Elf when she finally confirms that it wasn't L-Elf who shot him (in as few words as possible). If he actually wanted to let her go he would have done so without any strings attached.

What is Saki continued to be silent? It doesn't seem like he would have released her. What is she lied and told him there was no body jacking involved?
Old 2014-01-05, 14:12   Link #548
Nitestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I would hope so.

I was immensely disappointed that, even after giving her a scene in the finale that focused on her feelings for Haruto, they never bothered to show her reaction to his death like they did with Shoko.
Ultimately, I think the events between Haruto and Saki are lost to history - Saki probably keeps all that stuff to herself (there really is no reason for anyone to know - its not that important in the grand scheme of things). Unless Saki wants to generate unneeded friction between her and Shoko. Remember Shoko's reaction to his death is narrated by Akira, she wouldn't know how Saki would react unless she actually told them, and I don't see a reason why she would.
Old 2014-01-05, 18:35   Link #549
Fjoergyn

The drama of Saki and Haruto never existed at least for me

The novel ends this month, hopefully a different vision of the epilogue.
Old 2014-01-06, 10:59   Link #550
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitestorm View Post
Ultimately, I think the events between Haruto and Saki are lost to history - Saki probably keeps all that stuff to herself (there really is no reason for anyone to know - its not that important in the grand scheme of things). Unless Saki wants to generate unneeded friction between her and Shoko. Remember Shoko's reaction to his death is narrated by Akira, she wouldn't know how Saki would react unless she actually told them, and I don't see a reason why she would.
I think Saki is more the type to take it to her grave. By keeping it a secret. It becomes Haruto and her secret only.

I think Pino knows Haruto and Saki kissed, and she knows Haruto had sex. (probably not with whom?) Things won't leak unless Pino reveals it, but Pino's a bit of a blabber mouth.

Maybe Saki will work out some kind of deal with Pino? Or maybe they'll reset her memories again. 200 years is a long time to keep a secret
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2014-01-11, 13:56   Link #551
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Sunrise doesn't like fleshing out romances in their mecha anime like those guys who make Macross.

Both girls were left hanging.
Old 2014-01-11, 15:33   Link #552
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I take it you haven't seen Zegapain, Mechalord? Not that I disagree with you though.
Old 2014-01-11, 18:43   Link #553
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Sunrise doesn't like fleshing out romances in their mecha anime like those guys who make Macross.

Both girls were left hanging.
Saki was initially an unimportant extra, so I'm glad she got more screentime in the final product. She ended up being one of the best female characters of Valvrave.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-01-12, 03:24   Link #554
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
I take it you haven't seen Zegapain, Mechalord? Not that I disagree with you though.
Quite a few things in VVV reminds me about Zegapain, actually.

anyway, to me Zegapain is just one more show that teaches you, that being a "main heroine" in a sunrise mecha show just mean being a love interest decoration and motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Saki was initially an unimportant extra, so I'm glad she got more screentime in the final product. She ended up being one of the best female characters of Valvrave.
They said in the BD interviews that Akira used to be the (main?)heroine

My theory is that Saki and Akira used to be one character, but split into two in the final draft.
Quite a few of their roles overlap.
Old 2014-01-12, 07:30   Link #555
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
They said in the BD interviews that Akira used to be the (main?)heroine

My theory is that Saki and Akira used to be one character, but split into two in the final draft.
Quite a few of their roles overlap.
No, Saki existed. She was in the 'other high school students' designed by Hoshino and didn't have a character sheer of her own. Shoko was always the main heroine, Akira had her own character sheet design, so she seemed more important as did Lieselotte.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-01-25, 06:11   Link #556
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
No, Saki existed. She was in the 'other high school students' designed by Hoshino and didn't have a character sheer of her own. Shoko was always the main heroine, Akira had her own character sheet design, so she seemed more important as did Lieselotte.
The idea that original characters' importance (by "sheet" count) is not making sense. Let's count Hoshino's design:
Haruto: 6
L-Elf: 5
Lieselotte: 1
Shoko: 2,
Aina: 1,
Akira 3,
Mari: 1,
Rukino: 1/3 (note: she only had the family name),
Irori: 1/2,
Rion: 1 and 1/2,
Pino: 1,
Puru: 1

Irori and Mari have more coverage, and their initial role were not important. Lieselotte has less sheet than Rion. The description sepcifically stated that Akira was the heroine. Mari played bystander role most of the time. Shoko is nearly invisible in the second season.
According to Hoshino's note, Shoko was an ojousama who doesn't resemble an ojousama. She is masculine and she has charisma among students. Shoko's V shape hair pins are coincided with VVV. Her description of Mari was Mari was not the tradtional beauty as Saki, and Mari was not the high class beauty as Takahi.

From the TVCM draft, the character reltionship are almost finalized. Haruto and L-Elf are called "hero" and "dark hero". Shoko is named "heroine". She was not Haruto's childhood friend, but they have feeling for each other.

Back to Saki's discussion. The BD book didn't confirm the meaning of Saki's name. 90% of the time, the writing of Saki's kanji is Saki from that majong anime. That kanji Saki stands for "smiling/laughing". It is often used for hanasaki(the flower is laughing or the flower is bloosoming). It could be something else.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
Old 2014-03-28, 01:52   Link #557
LightDragonman

SO does anyone know where I can find scans of Saki's spinoff manga? All the ones I've seen only have it up to chapter 6.

And I know I'm just venting here, but I still can't see A'Drei as a good match for her. I mean, I get that he's a pretty nice guy, and did let her go, but I can't get over the fact that she was humiliated, tortured, and basically lost everything she had as an idol all because of him. He's literally one of the main causes of her suffering.

Do the shippers just ignore that, and only go for the superficial reasons?
Old 2014-03-28, 16:13   Link #558
Key Board
Carbon

1) Yeah, I actually do know where to get the chapters. At least I used to know. I'm not sure if it's still hosted. And even if it was I can't post the link here. My suggestion is google it.

2) there's been.. discussion over that. you're kinda late to the party. Actually the party is prety much over..xd
In a gist, Saki and A-Drei are arguable the prettiest girl and boy from the series, and people like to pair beautiful people together. Some also want them to be consolation prizes for each other, because well, they went through a lot. That being said, you DO have to ignore a lot of things for the pairing to make sense. I agree that there's a bit too much bad blood between them even though, it's not really his fault. He's a soldier in war. There's a 200 years gap which does leave some room for that, but AFAIK A-Drei did not become Kamitsuki and 200 years into the future Saki is still carrying Haruto in her heart.

Funny you mention the spinoff. It just very recently concluded. Like 2~3 days ago
Old 2014-07-25, 03:14   Link #559
LightDragonman

I just looked up the translations to the Drama CD. Apparently Saki still holds Haruto close to her heart, even as she's teasing A'Drei about kissing and the like. Guess Sunrise decided to throw the shippers of her and the latter (for gosh knows what reasons) a bone. Personally, I can't stand that ship, but it is good to know that she still sees Haruto as the one who gave her hope.
Old 2014-07-25, 03:34   Link #560
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
I just looked up the translations to the Drama CD. Apparently Saki still holds Haruto close to her heart, even as she's teasing A'Drei about kissing and the like. Guess Sunrise decided to throw the shippers of her and the latter (for gosh knows what reasons) a bone. Personally, I can't stand that ship, but it is good to know that she still sees Haruto as the one who gave her hope.
That and the calendar picture of her and Haruto, obvious Sunrise know which pairing is the most fan favored and make the most sense, but Okouchi have to write some stupid drama in it just for the stake of it. Though I do hope Saki will move on from Haruto, no used in clinging to a dead man and especially to someone who doesn't even love her.

Off topic, you should check the anime Aldnoah Zero and as well as the A/Z anime thread. Most of the VVV regulars(me included) are there.

Tags
characters