AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-06, 14:01   Link #1
fma029812

"Legendary" anime

I feel like I have missed some of the "legendary" status animes. I have this issue where I tend to judge great animes before I get a chance to watch, then once I have I regret not starting them sooner (this happened to me with Haruhi and FMA). My brother keeps suggesting Eva, which I am going to start soon. I am looking for more than just that one however! I am not super picky, but have not watched Eva due to the fact that my interest in mecha was destroyed from a few bad shows I had seen when I was younger. Now that I am older, I am trying to branch out. What are some other good suggestions for epic animes that classify as a "must-see" for the average anime fan? Thank you for your input

On a quick note, by "legendary" I do not necessarily mean that it has to have been widely popular (Pokemon and Digimon would fall in this) but something that is so amazing and well done that it would be a shame for most anime fans to miss it.
Old 2012-01-06, 14:46   Link #2
Stealther

There are so many. Also depends if you have an age criteria.
If you look at 2000's I'd say Mushishi.
Old 2012-01-06, 14:50   Link #3
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by fma029812 View Post
I feel like I have missed some of the "legendary" status animes. I have this issue where I tend to judge great animes before I get a chance to watch, then once I have I regret not starting them sooner (this happened to me with Haruhi and FMA). My brother keeps suggesting Eva, which I am going to start soon. I am looking for more than just that one however! I am not super picky, but have not watched Eva due to the fact that my interest in mecha was destroyed from a few bad shows I had seen when I was younger. Now that I am older, I am trying to branch out. What are some other good suggestions for epic animes that classify as a "must-see" for the average anime fan? Thank you for your input

On a quick note, by "legendary" I do not necessarily mean that it has to have been widely popular (Pokemon and Digimon would fall in this) but something that is so amazing and well done that it would be a shame for most anime fans to miss it.
Mmm, you could have listed all of the finished anime you specified in your other thread, ya know?

Can't expect everyone digging through your profile for clues - thread link for others.

Legendary stuff, you say. Try Azumanga Daioh, Ghost in the Shell and Great Teacher Onizuka. Then there's some really old stuff (80-95), would you like those recommended as well? I'm asking because a lot of people tend to get discouraged by the audio-visual quality. It's 30 years after all...
Old 2012-01-06, 15:46   Link #4
Eragon
Still Alive

Well, I can think of one that many will agree as legendary - Berserk.
There hasn't been quite an anime like this. Excellent story and characters.

Note: It has mature content.

Others which I consider as must see anime are, Clannad and Clannad - Afterstory, Death Note, FMA - Brotherhood, Samurai Champloo.

I would add others but before that I would like to more of what genre would you like. These are the anime which most would agree on.
Old 2012-01-06, 15:57   Link #5
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Legendary anime? Great Teacher Onizuka aka GTO

It's an old series but it never gets old if you know what I mean. It's filled with tons of genres in it, mostly comedy, and fairly long.

The live action is just as good, I recommend watching it after the anime series.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2012-01-06, 16:03   Link #6
AnimeUltimate
Banned

I will recommend you to see Angel Beats, Madoka Magica and Deadman Wonderland. These animes has dark, touching and awesome story, likable cast (?) and decent animation through them.
Old 2012-01-06, 16:10   Link #7
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

The words "legendary" and "anime" belong in a sentence with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Switch off your brain and sit back for mindless fun.

I'd also recommend Spice and Wolf (economics/romance) if you didn't see my post on your other thread and Cross Game (baseball/romance). GTO is also excellent, so I second (third?) that XD
Old 2012-01-06, 16:16   Link #8
hero147

I would say Code Geass, with the hype that it had during the years it aired.
Old 2012-01-06, 17:20   Link #9
mecharobot

There are way too much to list. You could go all the way back to Mobile Suit Gundam if you wanted. Maybe even watch Astroboy or something.

If you want to go for the more obvious ones, check out Akira and the old Ghost in the Shell movie.
Old 2012-01-06, 18:58   Link #10
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

There are a quite a few out there.

My recommendations:
Cowboy Bebop It's episodic, so you can enjoy the various adventures of Spike, Jet, and company. There is also some backstory that comes up late in the show and makes the ending of this epic. Yoko Kanno's music also adds to it, and the OP "Tank" and the main ED "The Real Folk Blues" are awesome.

Ghost in the Shell(movie) IMHO, the best version of the story. Oshii really brings the question of humanity to the fore in this, and the visuals and the music are both top-notch. The TV series is very good with its own appeal, but the movie is more epic in my opinion.

Toradora! Great romantic comedy with realistic and ultimately likeable characters. There's more drama in the second half but the ending is a very good one.

Voices of a Distant Star. Visual masterpiece that is only 24 minutes long. Gorgeous scenery.

seconding Clannad

Galaxy Express 999 a series from the late 70s and early 80s. Explores the human condition via a train that goes from space.

Fist of the North Star an 80's classic. Warning: It's so MANLY that you may find yourself growing more chest hair. Kenshiro is one of the most GAR heroes ever.
Old 2012-01-06, 20:04   Link #11
kitten320

You ask for legendary but not damn popular one? A bit confusing for me because I know some really awesome anime that can't be missed but they are not popular and then I know damn popular anime that are crap =/

I'll try to list the middle and shows about which I heard a lot before watching and then liking them:
Air* - if you don't mind drama and something more down to earth.

Angel Beats* became very popular the moment they started to air, I delayed my watch at first but then got really into it.

AnoHana had probably become a new recent star, watched it when it was airing and right now it is quiet well known and is suggested a lot.

I'm sure you heard about Berserk* at least once. Delayed my watch for more than a year and now regret it because it really was a good series. Movies are coming out soon.

Not ever hearing about Clannad* would be shameful.

Claymore* another big title that was a surprise for me.

Code Geass* an interesting mecha show with anti main character just like in Death Note.

Elfen Lied was my second anime ever watched and its title is still mentioned a lot. However, it is very gory and has a lot of nudity but no hentai.

Fate series became very popular. My suggestion of order is: Fate/Stay Night -> Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade work -> Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero is the best though and it is a prequel but if you watch it first, Night series will lose all positives. Movie is better to watch after Night series because it is alternative version where beginning was shortened a lot and might be confusing without watching TV series.

Full Metal Panic is a mecha show, don't like mecha myself but this one was really good.

GTO* can't be missed. It has some very memorable characters especially Onizuka and Urumi Kanzaki.

Inuyasha* is a childhood show for many people which I personally consider good.

Of course Madoka Magica* can't be missed either.

Kanon2006*, kept hearing about it almost as much as about Clannad.

Kept hearing about Shiki* a lot after it finished airing.

Soul Eater are popular shounen series.

Steins;Gate* is a new star about which people keep talking. Involves time travel.

Hope I got it right.
Shows with * are standing strong on my list for one or another reason, mostly because they made me feel for characters. Though Elfen Lied is strong on that aspect too and AnoHana wasn't bad either.
Old 2012-01-06, 22:11   Link #12
Niji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
That was really helpful, thanks Larthak.

I go with what I consider legendary, and not necessarily popular. May mention classics. Sorry if you dont find some legendary. It is not really a well defined expression

Several legendaries were mentioned in the other thread as well. IMO Saiunkoku Monogatari, though the males are mostly bishie type, and the lead is female. Seirei no Moribito. And other shows mentioned there.

ALL other Ghibli movies IMO. Howl's moving castle, Tonari no Totoro, Whisper of the heart, the cat returns, ponyo etc. Though Mononoke Hime and Spirited away, which you have seen already, are prolly the deepest ones. Oh, Nausicaa I consider in the same league as those two, or close to them.

IMO THE show you have to see asapissimo is GTO. So, herewith, gadzillioning it I am not a fan of comedy, or romance. But this series is outstanding, and very special.

Eva is definitely worth watching IMO. The end is disputable, but the whole show is still one of my most important ones, apart of the fact that it wrote anime history.

Critics of Eva call RahXephon the better show, that is somewhat similar. I havent gotten into it yet, usually miss the Eva feeling after like 2 epis and drop it again.

Escaflowne - Legendary, early mecha, and "universe hopper" series. Oldish but really charming, and fun. Good battles, and interesting story too (and my favorite cat girl )

Ergo Proxy - gothic feeling, philosophical and entertaining at the same time. If the question of machine <-> sentient being rings the tiniest bell with you, go watch it.

History's strongest disciple Kenichi - martial arts, weak boy gets strong. Worth watching anytime, for the title "legendary" a bit borderline IMO. But totally worth it. Some of my favorite anime chars ever, and rare mixture of martial arts, romance, comedy, good strong male chars, good strong female chars.

Tenjou Tenge - classical martial arts show, I would say, good show, fun fighting, again good strong male and female chars

Planetes - legendary, outter space series, outstanding char development.

Well and of course the Legend of the galactic heros, I mean if a name is program... rather oldish, outter space drama. If you get past the oldish design, and the somewhat slow development it is outstanding.

Simoun - also an oldish series, considered slightly yuri (they are sexless, which yes indeed tends more to the female appearance). Very beautiful aircraft series in a different universe.

Legendary IMO is also Black Lagoon first and second season. It has no time travel, set in modern time, and is over the top violent. Still an awesome show.

I hide behind my desk against the rotten tomatoes flying, but legendary is a title I would give Naruto any day (though it was also popular). The first 100-120 epis work, then come the dreaded fillers, and later follows Shippuden. I switched out after about 120 epis, and never got back. Shippuden I hear seems to be good. But Naruto has its weaknesses which one has to have tolerance for. Legendary it is anyway though

Legendary are also all Dragonball series IMO. Gotta like the lead, though.

Speaking Ninja, but for grown-ups: Basilisk - had me glued to the screen. Basically the battle of 2 Ninja clans with pretty cool special abilities. Also a Romeo and Julia type romance.

Samurai X - few OVAs, prequel to the series Busou Renkin, if I am right. OVAs are outstanding.

Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi. Supernatural beings are playing havoc and a group of very different people are fighting them. Really fun if feudal Japan, Shintou, Youkai and stuff are interesting to you.

Legendary movies like Akira and Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade.

If one says Utawarerumono one should also say Guin Saga. If you despise court intrigue, may want to dismiss it. Otherwise it is really good. Different universe, different time.

Legendary are also Macross and Gundam franchises. Though check in which order you should watch what. They are so huge, one is busy for a while. Some space travel, some mecha, some romance in duo or trio form etc.

Last edited by Niji; 2012-01-06 at 22:31.
Old 2012-01-07, 05:45   Link #13
dametsuna

i am surprise that no one ever mention isekai seikishi no monogatari and zero no tsukaima!
you really need to watch these two.
Old 2012-01-07, 07:24   Link #14
Niji

Gotta have a high tolerance for tsundere for Zero no Tsukaima, that is why I left it out.

But just remembered Kino no Tabi. Totally a legendary anime, along with Mushishi. The later was named in the other thread I think, I second it an say, both KnT & Mushishi are episodic, shows with traveling, and outstanding. Mushishi is extremely beautifully made, Kino is very special.
Old 2012-01-08, 19:52   Link #15
fma029812

Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting so many replies! I will start going through these
Old 2012-01-08, 20:02   Link #16
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Almost no Akira ?

That thing is a master piece.
Old 2012-01-08, 21:12   Link #17
AnimeFangirl

If you watch Dragonball, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Initial D, Evangelion and Fist of the North Star, that should be enough for the "legendary" stuff.
Old 2012-01-08, 23:07   Link #18
fma029812

Here is my profile from myanimelist: http://myanimelist.net/profile/fma029812 you should be able to find my list here I think.
Genre does not matter so much, BUT I have loved FMA (hence the user-name) Haruhi, Death Note, Spice and Wolf, Wolf's Rain, Angel Beats, Ghost in a Shell (all series) etc...

Last edited by fma029812; 2012-01-09 at 01:10.
Old 2012-01-09, 01:13   Link #19
fma029812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Mmm, you could have listed all of the finished anime you specified in your other thread, ya know?

Can't expect everyone digging through your profile for clues - thread link for others.
Thanks, I am sorry. Fairly new to this board, I will do so in the future. Thanks for linking that.
Old 2012-01-09, 01:26   Link #20
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealther View Post
There are so many. Also depends if you have an age criteria.
If you look at 2000's I'd say Mushishi.
second on that, Also Cowboy Bebop was good!
Closed Thread