AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-16, 09:36   Link #281
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This show is like having open-heart surgery performed by hobos with broken beer bottles and enjoying the experience.

Help me, I'm very confused.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 09:37   Link #282
HandofFate

Its kind of interesting seeing what kind of narrative they're trying for.
I wonder if some of the more 'dirty' jokes/chapters will be cut out. Even if so far, the content is similar, I feel the tone is a bit more lighthearted. And even when the joke is on her, its presented in an optimistic angle imo.

While the manga was full 100% *smh* about her situations with very rare moments of "aww good for her"
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 10:11   Link #283
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Um, is the entire series just going to be the main character being a total recluse and having her narrate about it with minimal character interaction? No real supporting cast or anything of the sort to consistently play off of her? If that comes later, that's fine. If not, I might bail from the show because I don't think I can last through an entire series consisting of nothing but monologues.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 10:26   Link #284
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
Um, is the entire series just going to be the main character being a total recluse and having her narrate about it with minimal character interaction? No real supporting cast or anything of the sort to consistently play off of her? If that comes later, that's fine. If not, I might bail from the show because I don't think I can last through an entire series consisting of nothing but monologues.
I think the point is that Tomoko isolates herself from the world (in point of fact, because she has a serious social anxiety disorder). The series is told from her perspective - and it's a very strange, lonely perspective. I wouldn't expect that to change all that much, because it seems as if this is the story of how she sees the world and (mostly fails to) interacts with it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 10:41   Link #285
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
1. Brother
2. Cousin
other than that.... Yeah just monolog...
Old 2013-07-16, 10:52   Link #286
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the point is that Tomoko isolates herself from the world (in point of fact, because she has a serious social anxiety disorder). The series is told from her perspective - and it's a very strange, lonely perspective. I wouldn't expect that to change all that much, because it seems as if this is the story of how she sees the world and (mostly fails to) interacts with it.
I do get the point and I might be praising this thing like most people if it was a short OVA series or something like Golden Boy. But as a 12-episode show? I'm already getting tired of the formula as is and I don't think I can last another ten weeks without evolution.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 10:57   Link #287
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Um, is the entire series just going to be the main character being a total recluse and having her narrate about it with minimal character interaction? No real supporting cast or anything of the sort to consistently play off of her?
The only cast members announced for the series are Kitta Izumi, HanaKana and Nakamura Yuuichi, so this is pretty much it except for characters like the manga club guy.

Quote:
I do get the point and I might be praising this thing like most people if it was a short OVA series or something like Golden Boy. But as a 12-episode show? I'm already getting tired of the formula as is and I don't think I can last another ten weeks without evolution.
Adding more characters wouldn't make Tomoko less of a loser. Her problems are internal and any evolution has to take place within herself.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 10:57   Link #288
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Awesome episode. I can't help but feel sorry for Kuroki & laugh at her at the same time. Cool to hear Gintoki's voice to.

Her freaking out over her old friend's BF break was cool to. ED was awesome to!
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 11:46   Link #289
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I can relate to a lot of things Tomoko is going through, being a fellow sufferer of (a slightly milder case of) Social Anxiety Disorder. And yet, I can't stop laughing whenever she opens her mouth or does something that will probably make 'normal' people cringe in empathy or even disgust.

We get to see how she passes her time – indulging in wild fantasies about yandere boys, and having sex on the brain all day long, only to get snapped out of it by a call from the only friend she's ever had (and who I assume will play a role in Tomoko coming out of her shell, or at least try).

I figured that portrait of hers was too good to be true. While others might perceive Tomoko as different from how we see her, I could have guessed that this guy wasn't really trying to make her looks good, but just always draws like this.

And I seriously wonder how they came up with that ED. It's been along time since I saw an ED that fit this well in relation to the episode. And the OP is awesome. if this doesn't become my all-season, all-year, or even my all-time favorite, I don't know what will.
Old 2013-07-16, 11:48   Link #290
Solafighter
Hige

The scene, where Tomoko is daydreaming about teaching the other classmates something in episode 1 and the stairs scene, where Tomoko peeks at the other student's underwear remind me very strong of this:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The classmate she was paired up with to draw portraits can't be that bad of a person. He is Kyon after all.
Old 2013-07-16, 12:26   Link #291
ChampDream
Alive

I don't know if I pity Tomoki or just laugh at her
it kinde nice to see her at least having fun with her friend
Old 2013-07-16, 12:33   Link #292
EroKing

Freebies.

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-28 at 08:34.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 15:28   Link #293
Kiltias

Yamcha rape referrence.Good lord my sides.XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Kiltias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 18:05   Link #294
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Later she will realized that she just needs a brother's love..... my guess... hohohoho.

I bet she'll be beautiful after 1 week of 8 hours of sleep everyday.... that will do even without makeup.... It's he eye bags that ruins it..... she's pretty cute IMHO...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 18:12   Link #295
erhyka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I bet she'll be beautiful after 1 week of 8 hours of sleep everyday.... that will do even without makeup.... It's he eye bags that ruins it..... she's pretty cute IMHO...
Yeah Tomoko is actually really cute especially when her hair is put into ponytails away from her face. But no matter what she does with her appearance, she needs to really change her inner self first, though getting plenty of sleep is beneficial lol.
erhyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 18:26   Link #296
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
She could still be an otaku even while pretty.... Look at her (only) friend....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 21:12   Link #297
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Tomoko looks like she need a good week of sleep
Old 2013-07-16, 21:24   Link #298
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltias View Post
Yamcha rape referrence.Good lord my sides.XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Can anyone figure out what the first part of her fantasy was referencing? The sequence is completely different from the manga where

Spoiler for manga comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
She could still be an otaku even while pretty.... Look at her (only) friend....
The problem with her personality isn't that she's an otaku. It's that she wishes her classmates would drop dead simply for having fun lives of their own, and assuming every girl who ever talks to a guy is a raging slut. None of that has anything to do with being an otaku, unless your definition of otaku is limited to the worst parts of 2ch.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 21:30   Link #299
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Tomoko's mentality resembles a lot of people I've seen online who don't have much luck in the real word. They're so hateful and spiteful, and that really shows when they try to interact with others (in some way or another), only alienating them further. It's a sad spiral, but really interesting to actually see in an anime. She's actually a realistic shut-in!

She really is cute, though, even if she really isn't supposed to be. Too bad her personality is sour, but at least it's fun to watch! I'm only hoping for the best for her, but that doesn't seem too likely at this rate. And that Fate reference made me chuckle.
Old 2013-07-16, 22:41   Link #300
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I gotta admit, that end kinda pissed me off a bit =02. Well, "pissed" might be the wrong word....maybe irritated? It was funny, but cold-blooded at the same time. It felt like that anime girl you like in some random anime liking a guy, but said guy says(away from anime girl) that girl is annoying and useless, knowing that her heartbreak is destiny =0(.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, dark comedy, high school, satire, slice of life