AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-06-20, 07:21   Link #1461
rocawarde
Gundam Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
That's the fandom for ya ...

To be sure, I sort of warmed up to the designs (at least the Son/Grandson's ones)
Actually, those three units is for the AGE-1 only. The son/grandson will be getting AGE-2/AGE-3 respectfully. Here's a pic:

Spoiler for AGE 1,2,3:

I actually like this idea. We could get more limps to chose from when A2 comes out
Old 2011-06-20, 07:29   Link #1462
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocawarde View Post
Actually, those three units is for the AGE-1 only. The son/grandson will be getting AGE-2/AGE-3 respectfully. Here's a pic:

Spoiler for AGE 1,2,3:

I actually like this idea. We could get more limps to chose from when A2 comes out
I think he was referring to the character designs, not the mecha.
Old 2011-06-20, 07:47   Link #1463
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I'm personally hope the Age 2/3 would be radically different from Age 1. I love the Age 1, but something different to reflect a possible evolving sense of technology would be nice.
Old 2011-06-20, 09:46   Link #1464
Araxiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
I'm personally hope the Age 2/3 would be radically different from Age 1. I love the Age 1, but something different to reflect a possible evolving sense of technology would be nice.
Agreed. I got a little worried looking at that shot where the silhouettes are the same, so I hope that's just a representation and the designs will be appreciable different.

Because that means more bits to mix and match, mwahaha.
Old 2011-06-20, 10:23   Link #1465
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
My secret wish is to have Age 2 looking like 00 Gundam. Yeah, just a secret unlikely wish. But with Ebikawa as the likely designer, you never know what elements he will borrow.

Besides, it would be nice to repeat the "RX-78" the grandfather of main lineage theme again that Gundam 00 had; as my sig would show. There's got to be some similarities due to it being a direct mod, but I still wish for something that's a lot different as opposed to some minor change.
Old 2011-06-20, 11:53   Link #1466
rocawarde
Gundam Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
O! my fault

From wat I been reading about the show, it has great potential to tell a well-thought out story about legacy. The UE looks cool with the 'beam cannon' tail and 'vulcans in the palm'

I just can't wrap my head around AGE-1 other forms. Like, is the Sparrow going to only have a sword? Is Titus just gonna pound enemies into the ground?

I wish Sunrise and Bandai consider Gunpla Builders. The second half would be war between AU purist and UC purist.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:41   Link #1467
Araxiel

I'm likewise pretty excited to see AGE-2 and AGE-3 [and whatever alternate forms they have]. For me, a large part of my enjoyment of a Gundam series is the mecha designs. I'm an MS lover to the core. And AGE-1 has grown on me, I must say, even moreso now I've seen it in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocawarde View Post

I wish Sunrise and Bandai consider Gunpla Builders. The second half would be war between AU purist and UC purist.
I'd actually love to see an all-out GPB battle between UC fans on one side and various AU fans on the other. That'd be awesomely meta [even though the AU side would probably lose after collapsing into half a dozen different factions and fighting amongst themselves].
Old 2011-06-20, 12:55   Link #1468
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
I'd actually love to see an all-out GPB battle between UC fans on one side and various AU fans on the other. That'd be awesomely meta [even though the AU side would probably lose after collapsing into half a dozen different factions and fighting amongst themselves].
Bah, we have that on games already

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 18:57   Link #1469
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Correct, thanks, yes, the mecha are fine so far and I like some of them it's the character designs that I dislike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
looks like Gundam AGE brings Gundam back to its 1979's roots of appealing to both children & adults
I think that was the intention but I think those designs were more versatile and also in the various types of shows they were used in, these designs are just so bland and linked to the shows they've been used in that it's not the same IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
You know, all these discussions about character designs... And we went through the same exact discussions ten years ago, with people complaining about the big-eyed, skinny bishounen designs that Hirai did for Seed, and how they "weren't Gundam"... Plus the designs were also said to be "kiddy" and the director even commented that he made the show so kids would line up at the toy stores to gobble up the toys...

And here we are, ten years later, with a bad case of deja vu.
I totally get your point and I think I would agree with you if they had used any style but this one so I do not think this is the same issue as those controversies, these designs just aren't nearly as versatile anymore as they might have been way back when or even if they had a typical of Gundam "next-gen" level of detail compared to the usual application of these designs they might stand out nicely, which they sadly don't, so I think this is different IMO. They just don't even come off to me as "general all-ages designs" anymore at this point they are too intrinsically linked to those shows after having been used there almost exclusively for the last decade and perhaps what's even more disappointing is that most of them aren't even particularly notable ones or notably better drawn/crazily detailed (other than perhaps some of the lighting on them in the trailer) when compared to at least some of the shows they primarily come from and Gundam usually at least has memorable character designs drawn in top notch art for the time of production in whatever style they've used whether the art style pleased everyone or not.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-06-20 at 19:19.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 19:48   Link #1470
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I totally get your point and I think I would agree with you if they had used any style but this one so I do not think this is the same issue as those controversies, these designs just aren't nearly as versatile anymore as they might have been way back when or even if they had a typical of Gundam "next-gen" level of detail compared to the usual application of these designs they might stand out nicely, which they sadly don't, so I think this is different IMO. They just don't even come off to me as "general all-ages designs" anymore at this point they are too intrinsically linked to those shows after having been used there almost exclusively for the last decade and perhaps what's even more disappointing is that most of them aren't even particularly notable ones or notably better drawn/crazily detailed (other than perhaps some of the lighting on them in the trailer) when compared to at least some of the shows they primarily come from and Gundam usually at least has memorable character designs drawn in top notch art for the time of production in whatever style they've used whether the art style pleased everyone or not.
Seed designs were totally "different" when they first came out, and a lot of older Gundam fans never got used to them. So its going to be no different here. All that matters to Bandai at least is that both new and old fans come in and think of these designs as Gundam-like by the time the show is done, really, and there's no sign that its not going to happen as long as the series can stand up to the Gundam name.
Old 2011-06-20, 20:08   Link #1471
DangerMouse

Quote:
Seed designs were totally "different" when they first came out, and a lot of older Gundam fans never got used to them. So its going to be no different here. All that matters to Bandai at least is that both new and old fans come in and think of these designs as Gundam-like by the time the show is done, really, and there's no sign that its not going to happen as long as the series can stand up to the Gundam name.
I'm not saying the design choice has to be something that everyone likes or considers Gundam-like so I really do partially agree with you, it could even have been something experimental (though that'd be highly unlikely for mainstream to sell model kits of the mechs), but these aren't "different" so much as they are everywhere and have been used almost exclusively in one field for a really long time and again this is pretty subjective but while a couple of them are decent other kids shows have gotten stronger designs. I do indeed remember the complaints about the Seed's character designs being called out for being "different" and generally less gritty etc. yes, but the Seed designs were still "wider" than these in my opinion.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-06-20 at 20:42.
Old 2011-06-20, 20:15   Link #1472
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
I at least remember the complaints about them being "different" and generally less gritty etc. yes, but the Seed designs were still "wider" than these in my opinion.
"Wider"? Sure, once people got used to it, it became "wider". No reason why these designs can't become "wider" as well, once people are used to seeing them piloting Gundams.
Old 2011-06-20, 21:02   Link #1473
DangerMouse

Quote:
"Wider"? Sure, once people got used to it, it became "wider". No reason why these designs can't become "wider" as well, once people are used to seeing them piloting Gundams.
I think his art style was already spanning from young teens to adults before then, keeping the show itself away since I like his other works and a bunch of Gundam shows more than Seed/Destiny so I'd rather not get into some boring or heated Seed argument or derail the thread, as his designs were already teen/adult even before Gundam in some his earliest anime works in teen/adult shows like Scryed and Infinite Ryvius.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-06-20 at 22:20.
Old 2011-06-20, 22:21   Link #1474
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
I think his art style was already spanning from young teens to adults before then, keeping the show itself away since I like his other works and a bunch of Gundam shows more than Seed/Destiny so I'd rather not get into some boring or heated Seed argument or derail the thread, as his designs were already teen/adult even before Gundam in some his earliest anime works in teen/adult shows like Scryed and Infinite Ryvius.
And the character designer for this show is the same person as the guy who did Gundam 00, Michinori Chiba...

Doesn't mean a thing. Hirai completely altered his style for Seed, and the results were less than pleasing for some when they were first unveiled...
Old 2011-06-20, 22:37   Link #1475
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
I'd actually love to see an all-out GPB battle between UC fans on one side and various AU fans on the other.
Not exactly what you want, but close enough :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UpXEESAMfc

Quote:
And the character designer for this show is the same person as the guy who did Gundam 00, Michinori Chiba...
I thought that's Yun Kouga?

Anyway, the only gripe I have regarding the character designs, are Fleet/Frit's hair and that scientist. Those are thing that makes me feel out of place in the first PV the most.
I'm not really bothered by it, though. Look how Simon was in Gurren Lagann, and how a man he has become. I'm looking forward to see how the 3 generations concept will be played out.
Old 2011-06-20, 22:38   Link #1476
DangerMouse

Yeah, he's not the designer he's adapting the original designs for animation like he did Yun Koga's designs for 00, the designs are by the character designer of Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven.

I probably agree with you Duo Maxwell, Fleet/Frit's hair and that scientist felt out of place in the trailer, hopefully the story can make up for it...

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-06-21 at 00:21.
Old 2011-06-21, 02:15   Link #1477
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i hope level-5 still puts violence in this series i mean Golion & Machine Robo Rescue despite aimed kids still had violence in it....
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 03:24   Link #1478
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
i hope level-5 still puts violence in this series i mean Golion & Machine Robo Rescue despite aimed kids still had violence in it....
Frite had a few tons of flaming metal fall down onto his mom crushing her, the Gafran are attacking indiscriminately, and MS have people in them.

All that together pretty much tells me there will be a moderate level of violence. Maybe not like throat slits or something, but there will be death. Geared at kids or not, death is unavoidable in Gundam.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2011-06-21 at 03:38.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 03:34   Link #1479
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Frite had a few tons of flaming metal fall down onto his mom crushing her, the Gafran are attack indiscriminately, and MS have people in them.

All that together pretty much tells me there will be a moderate level of violence. Maybe not like throat slits or something, but there will be death. Geared at kids or not, death is unavoidable in Gundam.
yes i know Gundam is a war show but still.... speaking of Golion & Machine Robo
does anyone know what Gundam AGE's universe is called?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 03:54   Link #1480
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
does anyone know what Gundam AGE's universe is called?
For what it's worth, Gundam Wiki is using "Advanced Generation".