AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-28, 11:40   Link #1
duckroll
綺羅星★!

X-Men (Madhouse)

http://www.animax.co.jp/marvelanime/x-men/

Starts 1st April 2011 at 10pm on Animax Japan. Trailer is on the official site, character designs will be on the site later today.

Official blurb:
Quote:
The X-Men are reunited following the death of a teammate, and are summoned by Charles Xavier to Japan following the abduction of Hisako Ichiki (Armor). There, they confront the U-Men, a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on.

Staff and Cast:

Director: Fuminori Kizaki
Chief Animation Director: Michinori Chiba
Character Design: Ai Yokoyama
Music: Tetsuya Takahashi
Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda
Animation Production: Madhouse

Cyclops: Toshiyuki Morikawa
Wolverine: Rikiya Koyama
Professor X: Katsunosuke Hori
Storm: Aya Hisakawa
Emma Frost: Kaori Yamagata
Yui Sasaki: Yoshiko Sagakibara
Jean Grey: Yuriko Hino
Hisako Ichiki: Yukari Tamura
Beast: Hideyuki Tanaka

Source: http://www.animax.co.jp/feature/intr...ode=NN10001160

Episode Titles:

Ep1 - The Return (Gathering)
Ep2 - U-Men (Mutant hunt)
Ep3 - Armor (Awakening)
Ep4 - Transformation (Second mutation)
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 12:27   Link #2
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i wonder if the wolferine is same and some how connected to wolferine anime

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 12:42   Link #3
Grim_Reaper

So there will be no Gambit? :\
Grim_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 20:16   Link #4
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
i wonder if the wolferine is same and some how connected to wolferine anime
Wolverine is Wolverine. There is only one.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 22:33   Link #5
james0246

I hope Hisako Ichiki plays a more central role in the story. I'd hate for one of Joss Whedon's creations to be reduced to a damsel in distress...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-01, 07:41   Link #6
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Character designs are up: http://www.animax.co.jp/marvelanime/x-men/chara.html

Kinda... lol....

Considering the team behind this series previously worked on Basilisk and Afro Samurai, I'm sure it'll suck just as much if not more than Iron Man and Wolverine. This Marvel Anime thing is really turning out to be crap. Lol Madhouse.

Spoiler for Main Visual:
Old 2011-03-01, 10:34   Link #7
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Who's the girl with the tailed beast cloak? Character designs don't look too bad imo. Madhouse should just stick with movies or animes with great directors and good budget.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-01, 11:52   Link #8
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Hisako Ichiki aka Armor. She's a somewhat ''recent'' addition to the team (she was introduced nearly 8 years ago) she had the fortune to star in one of the better X-Men stories, but considering this will be her first animated depute, it looks like her luck ran out ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_Reaper View Post
So there will be no Gambit? :\
Thankfully
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I hope Hisako Ichiki plays a more central role in the story. I'd hate for one of Joss Whedon's creations to be reduced to a damsel in distress...
Being optimistic, I'm happy they actually attempted to shake up the roster and include a relatively new face instead of the regulars.

Of course, I'm not looking forward to the treatment her character will end up getting, if Iron Man was any indication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Considering the team behind this series previously worked on Basilisk and Afro Samurai, I'm sure it'll suck just as much if not more than Iron Man and Wolverine. This Marvel Anime thing is really turning out to be crap. Lol Madhouse.
I agree. I'm not even sure anymore what is up with Madhouse. The studio's output for the past year had been particularly awful, but the Marvel line up was especially painful to even look at. Horrible music, unimpressive animation, shoddy writing ... I question if there is even any effort from the creative force in making these shows aside from contract obligations.
Old 2011-03-01, 14:37   Link #9
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm not even sure anymore what is up with Madhouse. The studio's output for the past year had been particularly awful
It's called Redline, they spent a fortune on that and it bombed hard. Now that they were bought by NTV they may improve or collapse, only time will tell.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-01, 17:49   Link #10
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
It's called Redline, they spent a fortune on that and it bombed hard. Now that they were bought by NTV they may improve or collapse, only time will tell.
How did it bomb? It's not even out on DVD/Blueray yet. Everyone I know who's seen it is, says it's beyond awesome. If the sales are good, I don't see any problem.

@Arabesque, That's why I nefver heard of her. Not a bad design.
Old 2011-03-01, 19:07   Link #11
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
How did it bomb? It's not even out on DVD/Blueray yet. Everyone I know who's seen it is, says it's beyond awesome. If the sales are good, I don't see any problem.
It's intended as a mainstream movie so DVD sales are only secondary, the important thing was how it did in box office and sadly it tanked.
Old 2011-03-02, 08:56   Link #12
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
It's a movie. It bombed at the box office. Don't expect DVD/Blu-ray sales to be even notable. Anime movies which have amazing animation and take themselves seriously as a film instead of relying on a franchise brand name do not find success. Ever. It's just the way it is in Japan.
Old 2011-03-02, 09:09   Link #13
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Has Marvel discovered their co-production with Madhouse that these anime projects haven't resonated too well with Japanese audiences?
Old 2011-03-02, 12:13   Link #14
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Damn that sucks. That's very problematic for Madhouse and for Koike who worked like a decade on it. I still hope the DVD/Blueray sales are good, so he gets at least a little recognition.
Old 2011-03-02, 13:40   Link #15
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Damn that sucks. That's very problematic for Madhouse and for Koike who worked like a decade on it. I still hope the DVD/Blueray sales are good, so he gets at least a little recognition.
Animators in Japan who do stuff like always experience the same result though, so I would say they pretty much expect the outcome these days. As long as they managed to get the funding to make what they wanted in the first place, I think they're happy. Look at Yuasa's various TV series, Iso's Denno Coil, and Ando's Sword of the Stranger. All are colossal flops in terms of ratings/box office, dvd/blu-ray sales, and any remote general mainstream penetration. Denno Coil was just a huge flop that Iso pretty much left the industry.

Satoshi Kon is arguably the only anime director who managed to actually find serious recognition and relative success worldwide while doing what he loves in an uncompromising and high quality way. Oh and look where that got him. Struck down by the heavens. It is clear that fate is telling us that anime does not deserve to be a serious medium, and that people should just stop trying to pretend it is. Anime = half naked girls with big boobs scrubbing each other's backs in the bath while foam covers all their sensitive regions.
Old 2011-03-02, 14:07   Link #16
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Animators in Japan who do stuff like always experience the same result though, so I would say they pretty much expect the outcome these days. As long as they managed to get the funding to make what they wanted in the first place, I think they're happy. Look at Yuasa's various TV series, Iso's Denno Coil, and Ando's Sword of the Stranger. All are colossal flops in terms of ratings/box office, dvd/blu-ray sales, and any remote general mainstream penetration. Denno Coil was just a huge flop that Iso pretty much left the industry.

Satoshi Kon is arguably the only anime director who managed to actually find serious recognition and relative success worldwide while doing what he loves in an uncompromising and high quality way. Oh and look where that got him. Struck down by the heavens. It is clear that fate is telling us that anime does not deserve to be a serious medium, and that people should just stop trying to pretend it is. Anime = half naked girls with big boobs scrubbing each other's backs in the bath while foam covers all their sensitive regions.
That's just sad. Another big problem imo is that Animators are dependend of Japan. It's pretty much the only country with an anime culture. I'm pretty sure most of the fans appreciate something more out of an anime. A good story, non G-cup girls etc. I mean, how can an animator experiment with a new anime, if it has to have fanservice. I hate how Japans taste in anime has changed over the years. Have people really become that horny and desperate, that boobs, pantyshots and generic crap are the way to succes. It's just wrong and disgusting. I don't have any problems with anyone enjoying those kinda shows, don't get me wrong. But I hate how big of an influence it has on the anime culture.
Old 2011-03-02, 14:38   Link #17
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I don't think people became horny and desperate. I honestly just think that many normal adults don't really want to give anime as a medium a chance anymore because of the association with the fanbase. But said fanbase is also the most consistent form of revenue because they are suckers who have no quality standards and a lot of money which they will part with easily. So the gulf between artistic or creative shows (which would interest normal people who are not into otaku crap) and otaku shows grows more and more. The otakus don't really want shows like that, since it doesn't interest them, and so they won't support such shows. But the overbearing presence of the otaku culture makes it such that people who would be interested in those shows simply don't want to be associated with watching anime at all. Hence in the end, there is a very, very tiny audience left for those shows.

That's how I see it anyway.
Old 2011-03-02, 19:42   Link #18
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
I don't think people became horny and desperate. I honestly just think that many normal adults don't really want to give anime as a medium a chance anymore because of the association with the fanbase. But said fanbase is also the most consistent form of revenue because they are suckers who have no quality standards and a lot of money which they will part with easily. So the gulf between artistic or creative shows (which would interest normal people who are not into otaku crap) and otaku shows grows more and more. The otakus don't really want shows like that, since it doesn't interest them, and so they won't support such shows. But the overbearing presence of the otaku culture makes it such that people who would be interested in those shows simply don't want to be associated with watching anime at all. Hence in the end, there is a very, very tiny audience left for those shows.

That's how I see it anyway.
That actually makes more sense I guess the people that grew up with 80's , 90's anime are the ones you're referring to. I wonder when the otaku took over. Was it early 2000 (around 2000-2002). Before there was hardly any moe and fanservice. Not as much as nowadays anime anyway. When did the target audience change from non-otaku to otaku? I cannot stand the amount of fanservice shows. I'm open for any genre, but the abundant fanservice and moe makes them really hard to watch.
I wonder what non-JP's fans standpoint on this is? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. If you compare the sales from Japan alone to worldwide, I bet Japan still sells more.
Old 2011-03-02, 20:24   Link #19
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Satoshi Kon is arguably the only anime director who managed to actually find serious recognition and relative success worldwide while doing what he loves in an uncompromising and high quality way.
You mean, other than Miyazaki and Mamoru Oshii, right? I kind of wanted to add Hosoda to the mix, but I don't think he is that well-known outside of Japan and anime fans.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 20:27   Link #20
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
That actually makes more sense I guess the people that grew up with 80's , 90's anime are the ones you're referring to. I wonder when the otaku took over. Was it early 2000 (around 2000-2002). Before there was hardly any moe and fanservice. Not as much as nowadays anime anyway. When did the target audience change from non-otaku to otaku? I cannot stand the amount of fanservice shows. I'm open for any genre, but the abundant fanservice and moe makes them really hard to watch.
I wonder what non-JP's fans standpoint on this is? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. If you compare the sales from Japan alone to worldwide, I bet Japan still sells more.
Otaku never took over, they always were the main audience for the kind of anime we are talking about here. Late night anime is simply an evolution from the OVA market in the 80's and 90's, neither the target audience nor the business model has changed much, the same is true about the amount of fanservice for that matter.

Anime aimed at an adult audience, with some notable exceptions, were never mainstream. On the other hand, there were more shows for kids and teenagers because up until the late 90's these anime had great ratings.

About what non-Japanese like, well Infinite Stratos is the first or second most downloaded anime this season, make of that what you will.

Tags
madhouse, x-men