AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-11, 12:35   Link #421
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post

Also, one small pair of comments that were left out due to the time constraints placed upon Kyon's commentary was a favorite of mine:

Spoiler for space:
One small comment that Kyon made that I read in the BT translation that wasn't in the movie was

Spoiler for Scene where Kyon and adult Mikuru visit Nagato's apartment:

I remember giggling at that part, kinda sad it wasn't there.
Old 2010-04-11, 15:34   Link #422
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Finally relented and watched the camrip sub, and am quite glad I did. Once again KyoAni has done what they do best, and that's improve upon the original. Yes, the part up to Taniguchi's return does drag a bit, but it does in the novel as well. But God damn does it ever make up for it... ^_^

Easily the most gorgeous animated movie I've ever seen. My jaw is still dropped from the rooftop scene. I can easily see how someone could mistake it for a real background. Can not wait to get my hands on a Blu Ray of this. Yay for US and Japan being in the same region...

Best scene is the stabbing scene (as I knew it would be). Psychopathic Ryoko is gloriously psychopathic... The BGM was perfect, and the twirling around was just an amazing touch. Awesome, awesome, awesome movie... 10/10 ^_^
Old 2010-04-12, 14:04   Link #423
Blayne Barudorii

Oh and Haruhi had an absolutely gorgeous Zettai Ryouiki in this movie.
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Old 2010-04-12, 19:54   Link #424
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Zetta--

I must have this movie in HD.
Old 2010-04-13, 07:51   Link #425
kniteowl

Anyone else watch the extra part after the ending credits with more random Yuki in the Library, I was half expecting Kyon to show up and pick up Nagato to go somewhere... or is this the foreshadow of a scene in Volume 7?

Spoiler for Vol 7:
Old 2010-04-14, 21:45   Link #426
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

After watching the movie, who was that Phantom Girl that push Kyon?????

It might be one of the new characters in Vol. 9...
Old 2010-04-14, 21:51   Link #427
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post
After watching the movie, who was that Phantom Girl that push Kyon?????

It might be one of the new characters in Vol. 9...
It is not explicitly stated who the person was, but during the story that finishes the Disappearance arc we are given a pretty big hint as to who pushed Kyon.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-04-15, 17:56   Link #428
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
It is not explicitly stated who the person was, but during the story that finishes the Disappearance arc we are given a pretty big hint as to who pushed Kyon.
Actually, we're given a pretty big honkin' hint who did it in the movie, and that's no one. Itsuki states clearly that the doctors could find nothing wrong with Kyon, and that he was just in a coma for some unknown reason. Whether you argue that everything we saw during the three days of Disappearance was overwritten once Kyon solved it, and never happened; or it happened as shown only with Yuki subconsciously back to normal and going through the motions (of having emotions), aware of everything that would happen, only to rewrite everything back to normal once Kyon went into the past, one thing is apparent. Everything behind Kyon being in the hospital was clearly part of the "clean-up" to put the world back to normal, and that involved implanted memories (including "the girl" pushing Kyon down the stairs) at least up to the point when Kyon is taken to the hospital (never happened camp), and possibly up to the point where he wakes up in the hospital ("acting" Yuki camp).
Old 2010-04-15, 19:35   Link #429
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My memory of the resolution of this event is fuzzy. I've not read that novel (7) in over a year now, maybe two.

However think alone the lines of quigonkenny...that everything did happen as Kyon encountered...and it was covered up after he pressed the "Enter" key. Trouble is...I don't remember. Though in some ways it would make sense...if Mikuru's theory about time is correct and that everything is predeturmined...thus it did happen...and for those few days....Yuki altered the World...then altered it back because that was how things happened....but it is very confusing.

And as I said...I've not read the resolution is a few years.
Old 2010-04-16, 13:18   Link #430
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

minor question

Spoiler:

and kyon was really knocked down by the 'phantom'?

i thought it was just to make him believe that he didnt got stabbed sexily in the back
Old 2010-04-16, 20:13   Link #431
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateApril3rd2009 View Post
and kyon was really knocked down by the 'phantom'?

i thought it was just to make him believe that he didnt got stabbed sexily in the back
From Haruhi's persepective, of course. What Haruhi sees is the world after all.

And my guess is Yuki reset the world to the point the day after Haruhi babbles her stuff about the Christmas party, i.e, Dec 17.

From Kyon's view, nothing significant happened that day. Disappearance starts Dec 18. So slotting in something in 17 was easier.

From Haruhi's perspective, Kyon had an accident on Dec 17 and in hospital for 3 days (I think)
From Kyon's perspective, he was stuck in a changed world till the 20th (I think).

So it somewhat adds up, I think.
Old 2010-04-16, 20:32   Link #432
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Spoiler for resolution story

Spoiler:

Old 2010-04-16, 21:02   Link #433
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateApril3rd2009 View Post
minor question

Spoiler:
Spoiler for very much a spoiler for later novels:

Last edited by baltakatei; 2010-04-16 at 23:07. Reason: blabbity blah
Old 2010-04-16, 21:39   Link #434
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

o thanks very much for the replies
Old 2010-04-16, 23:59   Link #435
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Spoiler for very much a spoiler for later novels:
Spoiler for vague:
Old 2010-04-19, 08:06   Link #436
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
Anyone else watch the extra part after the ending credits with more random Yuki in the Library, I was half expecting Kyon to show up and pick up Nagato to go somewhere... or is this the foreshadow of a scene in Volume 7?

Spoiler for Vol 7:
I actually believe that it's the inspiration for the fabricated memory Yuki creates to tie herself and Kyon together in the Disappearance-verse. Sort of like how they tacked the prologue to Sighs onto the end of the Sighs arc. Only this is anime-original.
Old 2010-04-20, 18:54   Link #437
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Man, I couldn't resist it anymore and gave in to the dark side... I ended up watching the cam-rip, which I must say was actually pretty good for a camera job. But its still a camera rip in the end.

Here's how I rate the movie...
First let me just explain, when you've been Chinese for too long, yes I'm a BBC and we're cheap-ass down to our very core. Anyway, when you've been Chinese for too long, you don't bother rating movies/series/games on a 1-10 scale anymore, it simply becomes:
- Download/stream worthy. (NO, not everything automatically qualifies for this one, don't wanna waste bandwidth)
- Archive worthy. (things that deserve a place in your hard drive)
- Purchase/cinema worthy. (now THIS one is the level thats REALLY worth letting your money exit your wallet)

Well, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu goes FAR beyond 'purchase worthy'. Hell, I'm even more desperate to watch it in the cinema now, AND buy it when comes out on blu-ray. I'm even gonna pay full price for it, discount or no discount.
Man, I do kinda envy the viewers who watched the movie but haven't read the novels.

Is it just me? Or did that stab seem more painful when watching the movie than reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
My jaw is still dropped from the rooftop scene. I can easily see how someone could mistake it for a real background.
Huh?
I thought is WAS a real background.

Quote:
Spoiler for resolution story

Spoiler:
Now that really does sound like something Koizumi would say, nice deduction.
But yeah...
Spoiler:

There were a few things they skipped out though, which I did want to see:
Spoiler:

But then, there's been many times where they had to skip some of Kyon's inner monologue due to time constraints in the TV series, so nothing new there.

Does anyone know how much of their budget KyoAni bombed on this movie? After watching it, it does make you think "so THAT'S where all the money went..."

I think the best part of this movie was Kyon's 'realisation' sequence. I can see where people are coming from when they said that part was very EVA-like, but the whole cinematics and emotional impact was delivered amazingly.
I was sort of expecting Pokemon shock kind of lighting effects during the time travel parts, but I guess we won't see that until the 'resolution' episode... if its EVER gonna be animated.

禁則事項です

Last edited by Mecha_Trueno; 2010-04-20 at 19:14.
Old 2010-04-20, 19:24   Link #438
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
Man, I do kinda envy the viewers who watched the movie but haven't read the novels.

Is it just me? Or did that stab seem more painful watching the movie than reading the book?
It's the ability of animation/live action to visually show it to you (enhanced as well) instead of you having to picture in your mind. While reading you, and I did the same as well, likely said "oh Kyon's getting stabbed by Asakura, where did that come from?" instead of thinking "Wow! He just got stabbed!" Visually it is an impressive scene and likely one that they focused on to get correctly adapted.

Quote:
Huh?
I thought is WAS a real background.
It was animated. I've seen many film bookmarks (whose links have expired, thanks a lot) that show it's a animation rather than real. Unfortunately, none of the backgrounds in the guidebook are from that scene.

Quote:
Now that really does sound like something Koizumi would say, nice deduction.
One thing:
Lawyer superpower#3: Pure logic...

Quote:
But yeah...
Spoiler:
The beauty of that explanation is that any plot holes that could come up are solved simply by that person.

There's one big question if we continue down that line of thinking:
Spoiler:

Quote:
There were a few things they skipped out though, which I did want to see:
"You should script your lies better" after they got changed.
- "Does this girl have concept of knocking?"
- "I'm sure her stomach is made of the same stuff as everyone else, the only thing different is that brain of hers" when Kyon comments on the hotpot

But then, there's been many times where they had to skip some of Kyon's inner monologue due to time constraints in the TV series, so nothing new there.
They left out my favorite Koizumi/Kyon dialogue!
"So am I just paying for Suzumiya-san only?"

If you're paying for me as well, I'll tell you even more.

"Then, I'm all ears,"

Quote:
Does anyone know how much of their budget KyoAni bombed on this movie? After watching it, it does make you think "so THAT'S where all the money went..."
Keep in mind that they started working on the movie at or around August 2009, giving about 5 months to work on one piece of animation (if we assume that everything was done by January, if it wasn't, then they had 6 months). They didn't air anything in the Fall or Winter coups so they had the chance to focus solely on this movie. For a company that churns out weekly episodes, that's a lot of time and detail for one movie.

Quote:
I think the best part of this movie was Kyon's 'realisation' sequence. I can see where people are coming from when they said that part was very EVA-like, but the whole cinematics and emotional impact was delivered amazingly.
I was sort of expecting Pokemon shock kind of lighting effects during the time travel parts, but I guess we won't see that until the 'resolution' episode... if its EVER gonna be animated.
Kaisos will get onto me about having hope, but I think the success of this movie almost guarantees we'll be seeing the resolution animated, if nothing else simply to finish what they started.

That whole sequence was one of the best monologues/talking to oneself/hitting oneself over the head/mindtrip scenes I could imagine. I cannot wait to see that in person.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-04-20 at 19:29. Reason: providing link to joke
Old 2010-04-20, 21:30   Link #439
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

I entered into a throes of ecstasy from watching-

Spoiler for Near-End Scene Spoiler:

Cheers.
Old 2010-04-20, 21:34   Link #440
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Kaisos will get onto me about having hope, but I think the success of this movie almost guarantees we'll be seeing the resolution animated, if nothing else simply to finish what they started.
Actually, I don't doubt that we'll be seeing another season. With this kind of financial success, there's no reason not to.

They had just better do it quickly. After Little Busters, of course.
Closed Thread