AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

Old 2014-04-07, 11:12   Link #81
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
You have watched S1, right? I wouldn't recommend going through S2 if you haven't, since S1 set up the characters' relationships, rivalries, and the roles they play in the group. Although it is very light and optimistic, Love Live isn't an inconsequential slice-of-life; there is character progression to be found in S1's story that will probably carry over in S2.
Yes, I watched through S1, for the record. For whatever reasons the cast and the story (and especially the singing) just did not click with me. The premise in S2 may picque my interest a little more, but the music could bean impediment for me. Starting out like a musical also didn't help either - I generally dislike musicals.

Will give it a try nonetheless, though.
Old 2014-04-07, 11:56   Link #82
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Ahh how I missed Love Live!

Mainly Honoka though. Her promotion was great and I'm glad to see she is as happy-go lucky as ever. It's why I love her so much and she's always able to cheer me up in an episode even when I'm most depressed.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 14:48   Link #83
Dop
Mmmm....

I absolutely loved that it started with a big ol' musical number. Great way to get the show off to a good start, I thought.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:13   Link #84
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Definitely a surprise with Honoka becoming the student council president. Of course one that made sense a few moments after realizing it. I mean school politics are just a big popularity contest anyways and who really is going to have more popularity than the leader of Muse who helped save their school? In reality seems like Umi is really going to be doing most of the work there with Honoka more the puppet President .

As a whole enjoyed the episode, was nice to see the group again. Though was a bit iffy with Honoka seemingly randomly dragging her heels for a good chunk of the episode. The explanation made sense which made it ok.

Certainly not a shock that Nico would do something drastic like a showdown with Honoka. If anyone there is determined to keep chasing the idol dream after their time in school is over it's her. No way she wouldn't try everything to make it happen.

Definitely nice to see all the NicoxMaki bits there. They really seem to be willing to go running with that pair . Probably not at all expected when the first season got going, but really picked up popularity as things went along.
Old 2014-04-07, 15:34   Link #85
Birdway
Banned

It seems female friends can't get along in anime or else they get paired by some fans, not like I care much since it's just only a small part of the fandom.

About the episode, omg are they really serious with Honoka as the school prez?
Umi would be more fitting but doesn't wants to stand out much anymore, Kotori is more in to behind the scenes work...and the others... they lack either discipline or confidence.

Uh... so isn't like Honoka was the best option, it just happens she was the only option left!!! .
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 16:04   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
It seems female friends can't get along in anime or else they get paired by some fans, not like I care much since it's just only a small part of the fandom.

About the episode, omg are they really serious with Honoka as the school prez?
I think that Eri was deeply, deeply inspired/moved by Honoka back in Season 1. Honoka vs. Eri was a major conflict and war of wills for the first two thirds of Season 1, and Honoka won that (granted, she definitely had help, but still, she won it). So Eri became a big Honoka admirer in her own way.

Now, I'm sure that Eri realizes that Honoka isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. But Eri believes in Honoka, so she was willing to put that aside, and throw her support behind Honoka becoming her successor (there was one bit of Eri dialogue in this episode that hinted at that).

My read of this school is that Eri is the most respected girl in the school while Honoka is probably now the most popular girl in the school after Muse played a key role in saving the school. So who's going to get up against Eri wanting Honoka to be her successor?
Old 2014-04-07, 16:34   Link #87
kitten320

Honoka as president barely makes any sense, she is the last person I would probably choose. I just can't see her doing paperwork.

Besides why exactly did Eri quiet to begin with? Is it because of upcoming exams and stuff?

Otherwise enjoyable episode, a good kick off. Might be better than 1st season if they keep it up. Looks like they are going on a training camp next episode, leaving school grounds.
Old 2014-04-07, 16:35   Link #88
Birdway
Banned

I'm sure nobody has a word against it though.

However, isn't realistic to expect trust based on faith or admiration alone and not feats like Eri is, that is why she is respected.

But for this series 'realistic' isn't a word with strengh for some things so why bother with it?
Old 2014-04-07, 17:03   Link #89
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Besides why exactly did Eri quiet to begin with? Is it because of upcoming exams and stuff?
Probably (also) because of the 3rd years (Eri, Nozomi, and Nico) graduating in a few months (April, IIRC), so they probably want to give successors a chance to settle in so things can be confidently left in their hands after they leave.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 17:06   Link #90
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Honestly the one part that requires a bit of stretching is the idea that Eri thought it was a good idea to put Honoka in a position that requires a lot of paperwork. I can see her respecting Honoka in a lot of ways and appreciating her leadership. But she should know better than anyone what kind of job the normal school president has.

As to how she got voted in it seems pretty easy. Anyone who legitimately would want to go against her (good luck trying to beat out the school idol who saved the school) probably transferred the heck out of there when they found out the school was getting shut down. School president of a dead school might be less impactful. Not like the student body in general would have a problem. They love Muse and again she saved the school. Easy enough for people to vote her in.

Really just odd that Eri would suggest that kind of thing for someone who is more action than calculating paper pusher and that Honoka wouldn't stop Eri from suggesting such a weird idea.
Old 2014-04-07, 17:26   Link #91
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
The same thing happen with male friends as well, the pairing subculture is strong already, not to mention fun!

Anyways, nice first episode! I got hooked into this series by accident but I'm not regretting it!
Btw, Rin fan here o.o/

Oh yeah, it's been a while so remind me please. Was Eri already on the end of her terms as president in S1? Somehow it feels weird having a new president without advancing a grade. Are these elections normally held in the middle of the school year and not in the end?
Old 2014-04-07, 17:38   Link #92
Quickersand

Quote:
Nico x Maki has been a thing since day 1, almost four years ago. Not a fan of shipping myself, but it's been pretty implied in PVs and Drama CDs.

Speaking of four years, this August marks their 4th anniversary. Does it feel weird to anyone else that there's actually character progression now? Like progression beyond their original bios. Eri isn't President anymore. I don't think they'll break the real life group up, but I wonder how they'll proceed after the 3 graduate...
Quickersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 17:49   Link #93
Birdway
Banned

^
Sigh...

@ erneiz_hyde
I agree, it can be lots of fun but when some take it seriously or as fact it gets annoying/creepy (i.e. don't want to approach Nanoha subforum, it's too creepy).

@ FlareKnight

IKR.

Now that Eri has made that decision she will have to deal with the outcome and guide Honoka with her job, so more tan giving up the position Eri will be like the true prez in the shadows because since now she is responsible of Honoka's actions as the school prez. .
Old 2014-04-07, 17:59   Link #94
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Yes, I watched through S1, for the record. For whatever reasons the cast and the story (and especially the singing) just did not click with me. The premise in S2 may picque my interest a little more, but the music could bean impediment for me. Starting out like a musical also didn't help either - I generally dislike musicals.

Will give it a try nonetheless, though.
Sorry, your first post was kinda vague and it seemed to imply you didn't watch S1. Thanks for clearing that up.

If you didn't like S1, I'm not sure if S2 will be a game breaker. Some new developments that you can look forward to this season will be Mu's showdown against A-RISE, the possible formation of the 3 subgroups (Lily White is Umi + Rin + Nozomi, Printemps is Honoka + Kotori + Hanayo, BiBi is Eli + Nico + Maki), and the graduation at the end of the school year. It's entirely possible for that last one to be postponed for a future 3rd season though, which I wouldn't mind.

Quote:
It's inevitable with this kind of anime.

Personally, the only romantic relationship I can justify is that between Honoka and Kotori, since Kotori sucks up to Honoka all the time. But fans and the production staff have been pushing Nico x Maki, Rin x Hanayo, and Eli x Umi for the longest time. As a hetfag, I can't quite comprehend it. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickersand View Post
Speaking of four years, this August marks their 4th anniversary. Does it feel weird to anyone else that there's actually character progression now? Like progression beyond their original bios. Eri isn't President anymore. I don't think they'll break the real life group up, but I wonder how they'll proceed after the 3 graduate...
Was Eli student council president since the start of the franchise or was that something that came with Hanada's anime? The PVs don't give me the impression that she held any special position.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 18:00   Link #95
Candyshark

It could be calculated move from Eri to teach Honoka some discipline. Eri knows Honoka isn't someone who back downs from her obligations easily but she lacks concentration sometimes. It could be good form of training for her plus putting someone in the charge that does things differently compared to more strickter Eri or Umi. Will see if it too exhausting for our leader to coordinate both responsibilities.

P.S: when did they do Eri bikini photo shooting and why I wasn't invited for extended expertise session.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 18:21   Link #96
Birdway
Banned

@ Tempester
Isn't the only one, even Idolm@ster suffers of that .

Oh, btw, I read the anime plans on splitting the girls into 3P teams.

That aside, I also read this series is gonna get 24 episodes divided in 2 cours(the second for July). Maybe it was a fake from April's Fool?
Old 2014-04-07, 18:25   Link #97
Quickersand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Was Eli student council president since the start of the franchise or was that something that came with Hanada's anime? The PVs don't give me the impression that she held any special position.
Been so long, don't remember. But looking at her bio on the site, says she is Student Council President. But I don't remember if that's ever been updated or if it said that from the start.

And as for the girl romance, considering that this series comes from a magazine that focuses on "waifu games", I doubt they'd throw a male romantic interest in. I'd hate to see those readers' reaction to their girls being taken.

Another note on character progression this season, I like that they're explaining the formation of their subgroups.
Quickersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 18:47   Link #98
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickersand View Post
And as for the girl romance, considering that this series comes from a magazine that focuses on "waifu games", I doubt they'd throw a male romantic interest in. I'd hate to see those readers' reaction to their girls being taken.
I never expect them to. It's not that popular (yet?) in North America, but one of the reasons why Love Live is a huge success in Japan and some other East Asian countries is because it panders to many types of people. If you like yuri, there's plenty of teasing in that regard. If you're into het or waifu-claiming, check out Snow Halation. There's also a significant teen girl fanbase for Love Live from what I've heard, and I can understand how it can appeal to such an audience.

This multi-demographic appeal can be compared to K-ON's. In fact I doubt that we'd see this franchise in the same form today if it weren't for K-ON's success and influence.

Also, it's nice to see that the subgroups are indeed confirmed for S2.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 18:57   Link #99
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Paperwork is a significant part of being a Student Council President, but so is being a bit of a figurehead. Ideally, you want somebody with at least some charisma in that role, and Honoka does have charisma in flying colors. I think that this might be particularly important here given how this school is just now recovering from near-death. Yes, they have saved the school, but they might want to further cement that recovery by fully cashing-in on Honoka/Muse's popularity. After Eri graduates, it will be Honoka that will be welcoming all the new first years. and that would be very fitting for those first years who chose this school largely because of the efforts of Muse.

So while I was pretty surprised at Honoka becoming Student Council President, I do think she's better-suited for it than some other members of Muse are. For example, I'd take her over Kotori, as Honoka is the much more decisive and emotionally strong of the two girls.

Aside from all of the above, I like what Candyshark wrote above.
Old 2014-04-07, 19:09   Link #100
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Certainly are good reasons for it to be able to have wide popularity. A good variety of personalities and certainly these anime series have been great for being able to explore their characters more.

Could be pretty fun if they did decide to focus on subgroups a little. Certainly some good potential for individuals to stand out in groups of 3.

Wonder if they'll target the battle against A-Rise as the big showdown or actually follow through with Honoka's intentions and it with toppling Love Live itself or focusing more on the graduation. Regardless should be good music to enjoy and no doubt a good deal of drama near the end .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Paperwork is a significant part of being a Student Council President, but so is being a bit of a figurehead. Ideally, you want somebody with at least some charisma in that role, and Honoka does have charisma in flying colors. I think that this might be particularly important here given how this school is just now recovering from near-death. Yes, they have saved the school, but they might want to further cement that recovery by fully cashing-in on Honoka/Muse's popularity. After Eri graduates, it will be Honoka that will be welcoming all the new first years. and that would be very fitting for those first years who chose this school largely because of the efforts of Muse.

So while I was pretty surprised at Honoka becoming Student Council President, I do think she's better-suited for it than some other members of Muse are. For example, I'd take her over Kotori, as Honoka is the much more decisive and emotionally strong of the two girls.

Aside from all of the above, I like what Candyshark wrote above.
When considering the long term side of it, probably is the smart move. This year gives Honoka the experience she needs to handle the job when Eri and the 3rd years move on. Or at the very least gives Umi and Kotori the experience in supporting her behind the scenes . Certainly for a school that close to shutting down might be best to abuse the popularity of Muse for as long as they are attending or else they might end up in that same position again.

Certainly Honoka isn't the complete package for that position, but probably the best option. Certainly when you go down the list the levels of confidence to take on that kind of job is questionable.

Tags
idol, music