AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2018-10-06, 07:47   Link #181
Marina2

It must be hard for a character designer to design over 80+ characters in one show and make them all look good and different.
Old 2018-10-14, 04:33   Link #182
Ulin

I found this extract on Twitter, but I can't remember which page or even chapter this happens.

Spoiler for a:
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 08:20   Link #183
Marina2

^
If it is in English language then it comes from Vol.1 That page is probably the event during the audition drama. The novel version is quite different from anime in that part.
Old 2018-10-16, 20:52   Link #184
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

^what Marina2 said. In the first volume, Kumiko still was going through her obsession with feminine charm.

Spoiler:
Old 2018-10-26, 04:46   Link #185
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Clarinet members added in the official site.

Spoiler:
Old 2018-10-28, 22:34   Link #186
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I love this.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-29, 08:07   Link #187
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

At least half of those girls look kinda derpy.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-22, 07:45   Link #188
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Trumpet and Trombone members added in the official site.

Trumpet:
Spoiler:

Trombone:
Spoiler:

Notable character from the novel: Kohinata Yume. The Trumpet Prodigy who is probably as good as Reina but hates being the center of attention (basically the exact opposite of Reina).

I wonder if Yume's story will be included in Chikai no Finale. If she is ignored, we won't get to see much of Reina.

I wonder if those two Takinos from Trombone section are siblings. I sense an 'Imouto' following after her 'Onii-chan' (Not that 滝野 'Takino' is a very uncommon surname)!

There are three first years in Trombone section. What are the chances that at least one of them will come between 秀久美, I wonder.
Old 2018-12-07, 09:22   Link #189
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Saw Liz to Aoi Tori just a few hours back. It is such a beautiful movie. The last few segments really touched the very depth of my heart. I almost became teary by the end.

This movie is very close to a masterpiece. Probably it is. But it won't resonate with everyone. Young ones probably won't realize what it truly means to grow up and go separate ways. Older ones who never had that special someone in their younger days probably won't be able to appreciate this movie either.

Maybe some people will find it extremely slow. But it captured Mizore's character and her awkward relationship with Nozomi exceptionally well with its calming pace, the pastel colour shades, the fluidity in animation and the impeccable visual narration.

This movie truly made me recall some of my best friends from school who I never got to meet after graduating. Even though when we were growing up, we made a precious world where we lived on our own, made all of us part of our small and big decisions. But then, the cruel thing called growing up tore us apart.

On another note, the two stars of the next movie i.e. Shuuichi and Kanade (Eupho Year 1) only appeared from the back once each and then together in a blurry background once. Kumiko has zero role in the movie. She is just a kouhai. Talk about keeping them low key. There was no Yume (Trumpet Year 1) in the movie either. The third years never made appearances as well (although Asuka got mentioned once).

This movie also made me like Yuuko a lot more. Maybe she is a bit nosy but she is still such a caring and precious girl. Now I know why
Spoiler:

I will probably watch it with subs again but I doubt that will make any difference. The Japanese used in the movie was very straightforward and a novice like me could understand all of it.

Side note: Shuuchi and Kumiko are shown flirting with each other's wind instruments on the Chikai no Finale official ticket pamphlet.

'Indirect kiss' anyone?

Last edited by shanimebib; 2018-12-07 at 23:07. Reason: ShuKumi added
shanimebib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-11, 10:47   Link #190
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Liz and The Blue Bird Review

I was a bit apprehensive about how I would perceive this film after flatly stating that I was sick of Cute Girls Only shows but I was glad to find that the story had so much depth in its storytelling that I was able to look past that. And generally speaking these type of shows feel a lot more genuine when they’re actually written by women and it shows here too.

The film itself puts me in mind of shows like After the Rain and SSSS.Gridman where the story itself is actually pretty simple but it really excels in providing so much subtext into everything so much that such a simple message can resonate so strongly. There was a particularly strong focus on body language by the animators in order to illustrate characters emotions (show don't tell) but I also liked the way the story uses its background music to provide subtext in creative ways. For example, the beginning features a noticeably broken, half done piece when it shows only Mizore but once Nozomi enters the scene the track becomes complete and “whole”. On a side note I also liked that “Military fife”-esque music that always played when that endearing underclassman(girl?) put a brave front to befriend Mizore.

And of course the whole storyline itself was basically about subtext specifically with the story of Liz and the Blue Bird and how it applied to the relationship between Mizore and Nozomi. It’s funny because when Taki talked about how Mizore needs to be more expressive and is holding herself back, that’s when I realised that the Liz and the Blue Bird story didn’t quite fit and wondered if there would be twist to reveal the positions are actually the opposite of what was established. Sure enough, that’s exactly what happened: Mizore thought she was Liz who was captivated by the bird but it turns out she was the blue bird that needed to spread her wings and fly away from the nest.

If I have a complaint it’s that I don’t think it did enough to convince me that Nozomi was Liz. There’s not really much indication to suggest Nozomi was that enamoured with Mizore and it doesn’t really make sense when you consider how easily Nozomi left her the first time. I also don’t know what to make of the fact that Mizore’s infatuation with Nozomi pretty much looks like romantic love but that’s an issue I’ve always had with this show. I’ve been told that this phenomenon (where the line between romantic love and friendships is blurred) does exist among certain Japanese schoolgirl environments and that there’s even a term for it (though I can’t remember the name) but I’ll never know for sure if these are accurate portrayals or just “Hollywood-ised” portrayals overdramatising what actually happens in real life. If I also have another nitpick, it’s that the world around Mizore is far too forgiving towards her self-inflicted acts of social exclusion. People don’t jump through hoops to include you: If you exclude yourself, you’re pretty much done for. That's a downward spiral that I'm all too familiar with. Not that I think Mizore would deserve it but that is what normally happens. I think When Marnie Was There gets that better.

I did like how colourful and relevant the side characters were and not just that girl that tried her best to befriend Mizore. Leave it to Kousaka to use that long established no nonsense attitude and cut through the bullshit. I'm also pretty confident that Library Girl's gonna flip a lid at someone someday. It's gonna be a massacre I tell you.

I wasn’t blown away by this story and it’s always going to be an uphill battle getting me to empathise with highschool girl problems, but I do appreciate the absolute truckload of creative and varied subtext throughout the film from a storytelling perspective. It’s really impressive from a technical point of view.

Last edited by Haak; 2018-12-11 at 11:05.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-11, 11:32   Link #191
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Scratch what I said earlier. My impression of the movie changed for the better after my re-watch. It captured the small and seemingly mundane emotions so exceptionally well. I particularly loved the window scene with Nozomi's flute reflecting the sunlight on Mizore's uniform. It strongly showcased how simple things about Nozomi meant the world to Mizore. But then she was always a step behind. The moment she opened her eyes from her smile, Nozomi already went back to her own world. That was simply breathtaking.

It was amazing how both of them thought themselves as the 'Liz' of the story and the other being the Aoi Tori. Their ultimate show of love was setting the other one free! And the one who was set free, reciprocated those feelings by accepting the other's decision.

From the footsteps' sounds that were slightly different to the change of directions, from the flapping of the skirts to the both of them entering what would ultimately be their worlds without the other. Just wow! Such a powerful representation of visual storytelling. And the bird's flight when they let go of each other was simply astonishing. As someone tweeted back then, no wonder why fellow animators, directors and several big names in the industry present during the pre-screening of the movie gave a standing ovation and a round of applause during the credit roll.

I was thinking about giving this a 9/10. But my re-watch changed the opinion entirely. A 10/10. And I cannot seem to get the OST out of my head. The ED [girls,dance,staircase] was so soothing and yet heart-wrenching. Brilliant!

Btw, I stand corrected. Yume does appear in multiple clips in the anime. Even in the library in one of the clips. Look out for a glasses girl with a single braid down her left shoulder. Yep. That's our Kohinata Yume from the novel.

Meanwhile, Saxophone were added a while earlier. So, here they are.

Saxophone:

Spoiler:
Old 2018-12-13, 12:41   Link #192
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was such a great movie. The direction was particularly stellar, the best out of all the Kyoani movies I've seen. It didn't initially hit me, but when they talked about going to the pool and it just cut to another scene at school set after that, I realized the whole movie would take place at school. And sure enough, it did, except at the very end when the two finally left. The school was yet another cage, perhaps more for us viewers. I wonder if we're going to see these events (festival and pool) in the other movies.

Regarding Mizore's love for Nozomi, it felt totally romantic to me as well. I know it's not what the story was about, but it's really hard for me not to see it.
Old 2018-12-13, 15:11   Link #193
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was such a great movie. The direction was particularly stellar, the best out of all the Kyoani movies I've seen. It didn't initially hit me, but when they talked about going to the pool and it just cut to another scene at school set after that, I realized the whole movie would take place at school. And sure enough, it did, except at the very end when the two finally left. The school was yet another cage, perhaps more for us viewers. I wonder if we're going to see these events (festival and pool) in the other movies
Well I'll be damned. I didn't even catch that one.

It's kinda funny to see a rare few negative responses to this film over on MAL though. This particular bit stood out to me:
Quote:
The transitions don't guide the viewer's eyes so much as throw them all over the screen, and there's a lot of random cutaways to objects lying around the room or to the side of a character's limb without any real purpose or meaning,
I guess this guy didn't get the point about the body language. Or maybe he didn't care? I guess one could make a point that the storytelling method of this film is a bit too esoteric and not very "user-friendly" to everyone's tastes. Or perhaps unnecessarily over-complicating a rather simple issue? I did feel like the 110% directing felt a bit wasted on a simple story (unless one views it as a romance), but then again it was still largely well received.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-14, 04:01   Link #194
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

The Main Visual reads 「もっと、もっと強くなれるー」"We can become stronger and stronger".

Alright! The character list included Asuka in the cast (listed as college student Year 1)! I am so glad that she is going to appear in the movie. But as expected, there is no Kohinata Yume. It means that Reina's role may be slightly limited if the movie uses Novel Vol.5 Part I and Part II's contents (most of Part II of Vol.5 has been adapted to Liz to Aoi Tori from NOT Kumiko's POV).

Maybe in the third year Reina will get to shine again (Season 3 pls)!

Edit 2: Final sets of sections added.

Tuba, Euphonium and Contrabass:

Spoiler:

Last edited by shanimebib; 2018-12-14 at 06:08.
shanimebib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-14, 19:13   Link #195
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kumiko looks great in that

And so does Sapphire for some reason.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-14, 20:45   Link #196
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanimebib View Post
The Main Visual reads 「もっと、もっと強くなれるー」"We can become stronger and stronger".

[img]https://i.imgur.com/aXaU7mg]

Alright! The character list included Asuka in the cast (listed as college student Year 1)! I am so glad that she is going to appear in the movie. But as expected, there is no Kohinata Yume. It means that Reina's role may be slightly limited if the movie uses Novel Vol.5 Part I and Part II's contents (most of Part II of Vol.5 has been adapted to Liz to Aoi Tori from NOT Kumiko's POV).

Maybe in the third year Reina will get to shine again (Season 3 pls)!

Edit 2: Final sets of sections added.

Tuba, Euphonium and Contrabass:

Spoiler:
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-15, 02:32   Link #197
deadite

So many Tubas
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-19, 11:07   Link #198
bastek66

Holy shit so fluffy

Last edited by bastek66; 2018-12-19 at 11:27.
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 06:27   Link #199
Ulin

Some new illustrations I've seen on Twitter

https://twitter.com/anime_eupho/stat...47718038949888
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 19:32   Link #200
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

^the one below has been well received in Japan unlike popular belief in the West.

Spoiler for indirect kiss:

Heck, Shuichi has more likes than any other from his year (including Kumiko !). Probably it has something to do with the novel.

Spoiler for novel relationship:

Tags
hibike euphonium, movie, music