Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-01-03, 19:11   Link #1
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
How do you deal with anime haters?

The title says it all. How do you deal with anime haters? I have seen a lot of anime haters on the internet on websites such as YouTube, and they really like to annoy us fans by saying anime sucks and that the people who like watching it are losers who don't go out of their houses much. Some even went as far as stereotyping all anime fans as "weeaboos" which isn't entirely true. Sure, all this can be annoying but I normally ignore them since its their opinion if they hate anime. But then again, dissing anime fans is TROLLING, which is another thing. So, anyone else here has crossed paths with these haters?
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 19:55   Link #2
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Hmmm... not yet.

Ignore them. On the internet, there is hate for just about anything.
Old 2010-01-03, 20:05   Link #3
Cryonosis
~Desu

You don't.

Internet trolling isn't much more than a hobby to pass time. When some folks get bored, they go and push other people's buttons and in turn those people have a terrible habit of posting some of the most ludicrous garbage you'll ever read.
Cryonosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 20:50   Link #4
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

I tend to ignore them too.

There's no point to argue with them since they've pretty much formed a solid opinion against anime. That....or they're just your regular anime trolls, of course -shrug-

It's not a big problem for me.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 20:55   Link #5
Dark Adonis

If they are on the internet, I generally ignore them. They are usually just trying to get a rise out of people anyway. In real life it depends on whether the anime haters are trying to push their opinions on others. If not, then I just let them be. They have a right to their opinion. I figure it's their loss.
Dark Adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 21:35   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Just ignore them... it's not worth the energy to respond to them and if you respond to them, you won't look good either. Remember, don't feed the internet trolls, or they might troll even more.
Old 2010-01-03, 22:16   Link #7
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Internet trolls thrive on the responses of the people they attack
Old 2010-01-03, 22:42   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I actually don't get much hate as a result of my affinity for animated works. I think it's largely because I just watch anime and read manga, but don't live the fandom, like so many people seem to do.

There is always the occasional douchebag who will come to me and accuse me of being childish and stupid for liking "cartoons." Chances are they probably watch Family Guy or South Park, two shows commonly watched by douchebags, so they're really just being hypocritical. I usually point this out.

And yes, I realize I'm posting this on an anime and manga centric message board, but I spend most of my time in General Chat and Tech Support anyway. >.>;
Old 2010-01-03, 22:43   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

I've seen a lot of conspiracy theorists, sexists, racists, holocaust deniers, and various other types on Youtube as well. If you're going to get upset by people on Youtube, I don't know if people who don't like anime are my first stop. Who cares, really? There will always be trolls hiding behind anonymity stirring up trouble. Not worth the trouble.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 22:50   Link #10
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
I haven't come across any but just ignore them, don't waste your time and energy, they'll just troll more if you respond.

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 22:51   Link #11
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

To people who think I'm upset by anime haters, I'm not! XD

Different people have different opinion. People love anime. People hate anime. And I respect the opinions of others. But I do agree with you, Theowne
Old 2010-01-03, 23:05   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Such behavior usually results from insecurity --- you're doing something different than they do, this threatens their fragile shell of "rightness"

Same brain thread as any form of persecution or bullying.
Old 2010-01-03, 23:13   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I've seen a lot of conspiracy theorists, sexists, racists, holocaust deniers, and various other types on Youtube as well. If you're going to get upset by people on Youtube, I don't know if people who don't like anime are my first stop. Who cares, really? There will always be trolls hiding behind anonymity stirring up trouble. Not worth the trouble.
Agreed.

You'll get every sort of comment under the sun over at YouTube. I think that I've been called a "weaboo" once or twice there, but there are very different insults that I've received there more frequently than that.

At one point, it bothered me how people could derive pleasure or satisfaction out of being callous like this, but... now I just try to ignore it, and move on.
Old 2010-01-03, 23:14   Link #14
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Ignore list, block user, subtract reputation, anything. (if you're annoyed)

Ignore them (if you don't care)
Old 2010-01-04, 00:43   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

It depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm bored I'll do stuff like argue with them or tell them to watch whatever series I think might interest them based on any examples of stuff I "should" be watching is. If I'm in a bad mood I'll just say whatever, and ignore them. If I want to avoid an argument or to try to confuse them I tell them they're absolutely right and I'm a pathetic loser for liking anime. It doesn't matter to me if they think that it is, and it doesn't give them anyplace to go with it.
Old 2010-01-04, 01:51   Link #16
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

To be brutally honest, I get way, way more flak from other anime fans for the kinds of shows I watch than I do from normal people for watching anime. I attribute this to the fact I actually keep a pretty low profile about my geek hobbies outside of geek social circles. Perhaps a little too low a profile actually - I figure that I must come across as a wokaholic, never has fun type to most people.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 05:32   Link #17
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Same way you deal with trolls.....block them. If it's Youtube and they're soiling your vid delete their comments.
Old 2010-01-04, 06:07   Link #18
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
To be brutally honest, I get way, way more flak from other anime fans for the kinds of shows I watch than I do from normal people for watching anime.
Yep.

Frankly your more likely to be harassed by other anime fans on the anime you like.

What with moe ruining anime and all the bishies in new mecha shows and idiots who watch Bleach and Naruto and can't appreciate One Pieces awesomeness or that it's overrated crap like all the other shonen and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which has a stupid K-On! art style.Everyone else's opinions are invalid because they haven't watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes which is the greatest thing ever and only liked by annoying elitists who look down upon all the ecchii harem crap.

You know things like that. A non-anime fan isn't going to look down on you for liking Clannad or Lucky Star or Hitman Reborn or any of the other hundreds of generic, exploitative, pretentious, nonsensical, immature, badly animated, badly adapted anime that at least one anime fan refuses to let anyone like.

People who hate all anime can at worst say LOL anime sucks so you suck.

EDIT: BTW the italicized bit is supposed to be exaggerated arguments from generic straw anime fans.
Old 2010-01-04, 13:08   Link #19
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Often attributed to Mark Twain

So much energy on the internet is devoted to hating stuff. It unites people even in some cases--how sad is that? The bottom line is, you won't convince anyone of anything if they have a narrow mind.

My friends are okay with me not really enjoying sports. I am okay with them not enjoying anime. Sometimes, you'll strike gold and create a new fan.
Telmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 13:16   Link #20
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Well I don't take them seriously, because I just can't take somebody seriously that hates on something so broad.

But it is kind of pointless arguing with them, because people that think like that won't want to ever admit that they're wrong.

And really, the ones on the internet are mostly trolling. People who actually don't care for anime (that they know of.) will just avoid anime, and anime forums. They won't actually come make a post about it, either.

It's the people who don't have even a single clue what they're talking about that are most likely to make a big deal out of their "hatred" for anime. And they should be ignored, because they'll never learn and they're just missing out on a lot of great stories.

Their ignorance fuels their hatred... Well, I say, let them drown in their ignorance. lol

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote