AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-08, 10:48   Link #1361
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I just watched the very latest Fufonfia. Hilarious.
Yeah. Episode 7 is the bomb. I'm still shell shocked after watching it. It's so subversive that I'm speechless.
Darial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 12:57   Link #1362
ickem
シェリルの為に!

So according to the interview on those scans, Sheryl didn't exist as a love interest in the original planning stages of the show. She was simply going to be a person that Ranka admired. It was going to be 2 guys and a girl like Macross Plus, but the guy who did the script composition didn't think it would very interesting so he got Kawamori to change it. So it became a battle between 2 songstresses. Basically it could be said that the DYRL Minmei and the TV series Minmei confront each other.
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 13:06   Link #1363
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

As Macross was about a pilot falling in love with an older superior and the girl next door.

Macross Frontier is about songtress vs. songtress. TV vs. DYRL. But I am not sure what they are implying. Are they trying to say that nobody wins?

But of course I love the DYRL Minmei more

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 13:21   Link #1364
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
As Macross was about a pilot falling in love with an older superior and the girl next door.

Macross Frontier is about songtress vs. songtress. TV vs. DYRL. But I am not sure what they are implying. Are they trying to say that nobody wins?

But of course I love the DYRL Minmei more

- Tak
Ah true...at least DYRL Minmei was "respectable." And I actually felt bad for her in the end.

Hmmm....that would be an interesting course to take...if "nobody" gets the guy LOL!

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 13:24   Link #1365
Tak

I suddenly have this weird feeling that by way of protoculture, Ranka and Sheryl are going to somehow be merged into one.

Then Alto don't need to choose no more.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 13:45   Link #1366
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem
So according to the interview on those scans, Sheryl didn't exist as a love interest in the original planning stages of the show. She was simply going to be a person that Ranka admired. It was going to be 2 guys and a girl like Macross Plus, but the guy who did the script composition didn't think it would very interesting so he got Kawamori to change it. So it became a battle between 2 songstresses. Basically it could be said that the DYRL Minmei and the TV series Minmei confront each other.
Oh, so Sheryl really wasn't originally planned to be a love interest? No wonder. It'll be interesting to see people twist this to convince themselves that Ranka and Alto are nothing but a red herring pair. Coming from a female's perspective, if they really made this show to be a BreraxRankaxAlto LT, that would've been more than marvelous haha Not that I don't like the scenario they went with.

Spoiler for saving space animage:

I can only read hiragana and some katakana, but since they have kanji and all, I can only form familiar suffixes and can't figure out what they mean lol Can someone here translate the character bubbles atleast? Or some more interesting/important parts? ^^ Seiyuu interviews, Brera's first impressions and the doubtful points boxes seem to be interesting. I saw a Brera vs Alto bit in the middle scans. Battle of the seiyuus, maybe?

Last edited by 4Tran; 2008-07-08 at 13:57.
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 14:00   Link #1367
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Meh, that just confirms my suspicion that it'll be AltoxRanka in the end. Sure they changed the story up quite a bit...Sheryl is now a love interest and Brera is the brother, but they kept the AltoXRanka in the equation throughout the changes that they made. That's the one thing that remained static. The feeling I got from Deculture was Ranka and Alto and that hasn't really changed as I watch the series unfortunately. *sighs*

I am VERY glad they changed it to SherylxAltoxRanka.....if it was BreraxRankaxAlto I would have zero interest in the romance part of the series.
Old 2008-07-08, 14:01   Link #1368
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Oh, so Sheryl really wasn't originally planned to be a love interest? No wonder. It'll be interesting to see people twist this to convince themselves that Ranka and Alto are nothing but a red herring pair. Coming from a female's perspective, if they really made this show to be a BreraxRankaxAlto LT, that would've been more than marvelous haha Not that I don't like the scenario they went with.
I figured you would take this as more ammo for the shipping war . But do you really think they didn't change the story significantly for the new triangle model? For all we know Ranka may not have originally been the type of character she turned out be. I would not have liked it if I had to look at Ranka's physical design as a main character exclusively for the entire length of the series. Saying that someone else "twists" things when your twisting of things is just as bad as any in the Sheryl army probably isn't the best thing .

Last edited by ickem; 2008-07-08 at 14:27. Reason: forgot to finish a thought...and typos
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 14:01   Link #1369
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

No joke, Brera has maybe had a paragraph worth of dialogue. Makes it a pretty boring love triangle if one of them doesn't talk.

Actually it makes it creepy stalker guy that wants the moe sis-loli girl. EWWWWW
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 14:04   Link #1370
Tak

Quote:
I figured you would take this as more ammo for the shipping war . But do you really thing they didn't change the story significantly for the new triangle model? For all we know Ranka may not have originally been the type of character she turned out be. I would not have liked it if I had to look at Ranka's physical design as a main character exclusively for the entire length of the series. Saying that someone else "twists" things when your twisting of things is just as bad as any any in the Sheryl army .
What she did not note was that Ranka was supposed to fulfill the role of Alto in the romance part of the story (and she was not supposed to be the love-stricken school girl she is now), while Alto and another guy, presumed to be Berea was to fulfill the roles of what Ranka and Sheryl are currently in right now.

So, heh, stay tuned.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 14:08   Link #1371
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
No joke, Brera has maybe had a paragraph worth of dialogue. Makes it a pretty boring love triangle if one of them doesn't talk.

Actually it makes it creepy stalker guy that wants the moe sis-loli girl. EWWWWW
I assume if the went they BreraxRankaxAlto route they would have integrated Brera more into the story and he would probably have had more dialogue. They would have taken the sister part out most likely.

I still would hate it though. Either way it's a lolicon pairing (looks like it at least). Considering the huge part romance plays in the series, I doubt I would have continued watching past the first few episodes.
Old 2008-07-08, 14:10   Link #1372
ani_d

Quote:
I figured you would take this as more ammo for the shipping war . But do you really thing they didn't change the story significantly for the new triangle model? For all we know Ranka may not have originally been the type of character she turned out be. I would not have liked it if I had to look at Ranka's physical design as a main character exclusively for the entire length of the series. Saying that someone else "twists" things when your twisting of things is just as bad as any any in the Sheryl army .
lol! My bad. I figured since they mapped out a boyxgirlxboy LT with Ranka already in the picture, they can only mean that Ranka isn't some red herring love interest to pave way for Sheryl. Plus, the show has been fairly pro RankaxAlto, so yeah.

I think Ranka's character design matches Alto though--especially in that above image. They look like the perfect teeny high school couple with the height difference and all.
Old 2008-07-08, 15:44   Link #1373
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Meh, that just confirms my suspicion that it'll be AltoxRanka in the end. Sure they changed the story up quite a bit...Sheryl is now a love interest and Brera is the brother, but they kept the AltoXRanka in the equation throughout the changes that they made. That's the one thing that remained static. The feeling I got from Deculture was Ranka and Alto and that hasn't really changed as I watch the series unfortunately. *sighs*
Anyway, all this is pointless since the show in planning stages may not resemble the actual show in any meaningful way. For example, SDF Macross in the planning stages was meant to be a parody of MS Gundam, Valkyries were Breast Fighters that looked like a transforming Core Fighters ripoffs without Gerwalk mode, and the captain was a woman.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 16:41   Link #1374
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Anyway, all this is pointless since the show in planning stages may not resemble the actual show in any meaningful way. For example, SDF Macross in the planning stages was meant to be a parody of MS Gundam, Valkyries were Breast Fighters that looked like a transforming Core Fighters ripoffs without Gerwalk mode, and the captain was a woman.
That is correct. Misa was originally going to be the Captain of the SDF-1, and Hikaru as he was in Macross was non-existent. In fact, nobody ever really planned a love interest for Misa.

Hikaru? Who's that?

Moreover, anyone who seen the early designs would immediately note just how far Macross had progressed. I am glad they didn't stick with the earlier designs. If they did, I don't know how Macross can continue.

Why? Because the early designs looked like a sack of crap, really. Don't believe me? Find out yourself:

- Tak
Old 2008-07-08, 17:09   Link #1375
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Oh, so Sheryl really wasn't originally planned to be a love interest? No wonder.
Very early planning and things change, like a certain producer of a certain game waking up and deciding to kill a certain someone in a love triangle...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 17:12   Link #1376
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

^^^

Wow, those designs are so bad that they're cool, especially with all the beautiful Valkyries we've come to know. Although I would totally dig an Fairchild A-10-inspired destroid (see first pic, lower left).
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 20:13   Link #1377
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Very early planning and things change, like a certain producer of a certain game waking up and deciding to kill a certain someone in a love triangle...
It made the love story epic due to that reason. :P

Last edited by cheesie; 2008-07-08 at 20:54.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 23:40   Link #1378
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
While this is true, I really don't think Kawamori did significant changes since the story is pretty much consistent with the statement. It certainly explains Ranka's persistent focus (be it love or career) in the show and stuff in expense of Sheryl's screentimes. Most importantly, it just confirmed that Kawamori preferred Ranka over Sheryl from the very start contrary to someone's self-made Kawamori history lol
Old 2008-07-08, 23:49   Link #1379
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
While this is true, I really don't think Kawamori did significant changes since the story is pretty much consistent with the statement. It certainly explains Ranka's persistent focus (be it love or career) in the show and stuff in expense of Sheryl's screentimes. Most importantly, it just confirmed that Kawamori preferred Ranka over Sheryl from the very start contrary to someone's self-made Kawamori history lol
My character's Kawamori love is bigger than your character's Kawamori love.

Ah, why must it always be about epeen...?
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 23:50   Link #1380
Tsuchiro

God... there she goes again....
Tsuchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance