AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Who Has the Upper hand?
Light (Kira) 130 47.10%
L 81 29.35%
Equal ground 65 23.55%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-01, 06:17   Link #41
Lost

^ Not really, he surmised that from the time-periods at which the criminals were dying. Of course, its just a assumption on L.'s part at this stage; but to us it appears different, because as you said, we know that Kira is a student.
Old 2006-11-01, 14:21   Link #42
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

I think Raito is still too full of his damn self. Always performing good scores and all...
Unfortunately, he butts in a shadow (L) he can't see or grab, which is envelopping him little by little.

Yes, L, in the current state, is outsmarting Raito, unless Raito enters seriously the game of "who's gonna catch the rabbit first".
Old 2006-11-01, 14:23   Link #43
DribCC

Send a message via AIM to DribCC Send a message via MSN to DribCC
\/ Because we don't see that much of L. in an episode its harder to believe his theories. He doesn't nearly get as much face time on screen as Light, which means he has less time to explain the reasoning behind his theories. This laso means that the shorter explanations givin by L. are weaker. Where as Light gets all the time he needs to explain himself. And as for Light being too rash, I'll admit that Light comes off as irrastional but he only explins the currnet step he his on at a givin time in his master plan. We know that he is going to purify this world of all the rotten people in it and bcome the God of this new world all while useing the Death Note to do this. But we don't know exactly how he is going to do this, but understand that Light is a ginuse and he isn't the type of person to get fly by the seat of his pants. Light is always thinking four to five steps ahead.
Old 2006-11-15, 10:44   Link #44
Psylocke

IMO, currently Light has the upper hand. He has access to more information but not too sure where it's going to step off from now (ep 5)
Old 2006-11-15, 15:46   Link #45
illogicalcow
nyah

not sure if up to episode 6 counts as a first impression, but L seems to be at an advantage in spite of the lives that were lost. i can't imagine light picking up L's identity at this point, where by 6 L seems REALLY close to light's identity. one more hint to get light, but L seems so much farther away.

as for pre-bus-jacking, it feels like L is playing a much tighter game, but light has a (super)natural advantage. i would say even ground up to then.
Old 2006-11-15, 21:03   Link #46
michaelman90

I'd say that Light has the upperhand, and has been for the most part. They're both pretty equal in intelligence (I'd say L is smarter, though), but Light has the Death Note, which ups his chances quite a bit, even though L is extremely cautious.
Old 2006-11-16, 06:59   Link #47
xfuture

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-19, 20:12   Link #48
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Hmm, well. After episode 7 I'm kinda torn. Maybe because there was not much shown from, L whereas we got to see a lot of Lights inner thoughts and fears and also how well he dealt with them.

At first, I felt he panicked a bit too hastily and I was about to "lol", and mock him at how mediocre he had become at the first sign of trouble but he immediately turned it around by exhibiting what I would call, "world class shrewdness." The guy’s ability to pick up on the slightest detail and use it to his advantage is second to none. Extraordinary even!

So, with what looks like up to now his only real threat gone, plus the fact that his father is on the task force... No, scratch that. I feel that factor will ultimately be pivotal in a rather negative way for Kira in the future plot. But for now I guess it is an advantage, however, a swiftly depleting one.

I'm going to give this round to Kira. Spontaneously and luckily as it was for him to bump into Naomi at such a time, I feel the whole desperate encounter has given him an edge. I believe, or at least I hope, our young megalomaniac has gained something from the reality of almost being exposed. Well, knowing, Light, unpredictable as he is, I guess he will either prosper from the incident, or immaturely rise in confidence... Who knows…?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2006-11-21 at 06:07.
Old 2006-11-20, 18:18   Link #49
division
x/0

I voted Light. Not because he's "smart" or has the death note, but because he seems to have a form of arbitrary main-character shield which makes things always work out his way in the end.

If I were to vote based on actual character behaviors, I'd vote for either "L" or, given the option, "Light bungling something up by virtue of being psychotic and not as smart as he thinks he is."
Old 2006-11-25, 23:46   Link #50
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I haven't read the other responses but I'd say Light still has the advantage and will continue to have it...Light has the death note and the help of his reaper which gives him an ultimate advantage...Now if the question is merely whether or not Light will get caught I'm not sure the answer but in-terms of him simply having the overall advantage he still does...He is a bit too psycotic and arrogant for his own good but he has the death note at his beakon call...Even if he was to get caught or cornered in some way he'd still have the option of giving away half of his life to see names(Not that he would want to, but if it's him and L trapped in an ally who knows?)...After episode 8 I think the writer wants the audience to believe Light is being cornered, but I see it more of L being too brazen in his analysis (For obvious reasons we know this--L is going to over-analyse to the point he'll make mistakes aswell)...Light has to be more careful than he has been up to this point, but even with mistakes in judgement the death note gives him the upperhand especially if he's forced to play it...
Old 2006-11-26, 05:22   Link #51
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
I think Light will overcome L, but I don't think he'll reach his main goal in the end either. He's just too evil to be able to succeed >.<
Old 2006-11-26, 06:31   Link #52
Darashinai
R.Y.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by division View Post
I voted Light. Not because he's "smart" or has the death note, but because he seems to have a form of arbitrary main-character shield which makes things always work out his way in the end.
Ditto, hense my boredom with him.
Old 2006-11-26, 07:47   Link #53
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Hm, that's exactly what's been bugging me about Light, circumstances generally working out in his favor by extraordinary coincidence. But yeah, that and Ryuk undeniably gives him a bit of an edge. Without it, he'd have been in big trouble already.
Old 2006-11-26, 09:26   Link #54
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
as of ep 8 imo...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-28, 00:44   Link #55
division
x/0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DribCC View Post
But the biggest problem I feel is this. It feels like L just pulls his theries right out of his ass! I mean how could L even begin to think that L[ight]* is a student. We know this because the series fallows Kiras side of the story fr the most part. There is no way to know that Kira is a student from the evidence the police have gathered.
*(editted at that point, by me, for what I assume you meant to say)

Maybe he watched Hikaru no Go too ^^? I know back around ep 3 or 4 I was thinking it would be only a matter of time before his scheduling painted him as a student in much the same way Waya surmised the "Sai" was a child.

I do somewhat agree with you, however. The way it was described by the police in that episode did certainly make it sound like it could be anyone holding down an 8-to-4 job.
Old 2006-11-28, 01:08   Link #56
anselfir
Style Über Alles

For the show to progress, L must learn more and more of Kira, which by definition will make L's position more advantageous. Kira has yet done anything that would damage L's life in any way. Even if the current investigation stops, you think the show will stop on a lame reason like "nobody would work with L anymore?"

So far, everything that kira did that would hinder the investigation at best gets him a draw. he's never confused or misled L enough to force the investigation into a totally wrong direction.
Old 2006-11-28, 01:18   Link #57
Xerion12
Rawr! And stuff.. D:!

Quote:
*(editted at that point, by me, for what I assume you meant to say)

Maybe he watched Hikaru no Go too ^^? I know back around ep 3 or 4 I was thinking it would be only a matter of time before his scheduling painted him as a student in much the same way Waya surmised the "Sai" was a child.

I do somewhat agree with you, however. The way it was described by the police in that episode did certainly make it sound like it could be anyone holding down an 8-to-4 job.
Well, not that this means anything but.. In the movie L pieces together the times all he criminals died and it somehow graphs out some japanese symbol for highschool or something.. And he says "Oh, he might be a student!"
Old 2006-11-28, 02:55   Link #58
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

My key thing is L can have signed affidavits, paperwork, official documents, strategies and schematics, or anything else you can discuss that points to him being on the blood-trail of Light (And I mean everything but the finite evidence), but no matter who wants to use the blind-folded "Scales of Justice" for examination,... the bottomline is, a name and a face is all that is needed for Light's side of that mutual scale...You can put 1,000 tons of $hit on L's side of the scale, but a name and a face for L will equate it or easily tip the scales in Yagami's favor...Worst case scenerio Light has to give up half his life to easily attain it...Worser case even is if L somehow reveals "Kira's" identity, but the contrast to that is L must still prove how and what he's been doing...Light has no such hurdle to pass if he has a sheet of death loose-leaf, a face, and a name...He even has the ability to cause confusion after that fact by manipulating others via the deathnote(He could start a war if he wanted right in the heart of Japan just to stall if need be)...IMO, L won't have the advantage until he HAS THE ADVANTAGE (Clearly--which means he has Light at death point)...L has the awesome task of figuring out who, what, and why, while Light's task is only figuring out the who part with an invisible shinigami who aids him and the deathnote at his disposal for the ultimate endgame...As great as L has been and despite the mistakes Light has made up to this point, until L has clearly won he's still at a disadvantage...completley (He's doing a damn good job though despite this HUGE disadvantage he can't even fathom)...

LOL he simply can't kill others with the stroke of a pen guys...
Old 2006-11-28, 03:33   Link #59
division
x/0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
My key thing is L can have [stuff], or anything else you can discuss that points to him being on the blood-trail of Light (And I mean everything but the finite evidence), but no matter who wants to use the blind-folded "Scales of Justice" for examination,... the bottomline is, a name and a face is all that is needed for Light's side of that mutual scale
That's hardly fair, IMO. While L is being less careful with his identity than Light (I haven't watch the most recent episode), assuming he's using a false name. Light needs to know "Xxxxx Xxxxx is 'L', and this is what he looks like" for his win scenario against L. L, on the other hand, needs to know that "Xxxxx Xxxxx is 'Kira'" to win.

I don't see why you think it's some trivial matter for Light to discover L's identity when L is in fact substantially more covert in his actions and behavior than Light is. Or at least to the degree where he can't hide behind the invisble hand of the Death Note, so he actually puts thought into covering his tracks.

Light doesn't strike me as deep-thinking enough to legitmately cover his tracks well enough to say "discovering his identity is near impossible" (supporting events: entire fbi "arc", and the end of ep 2).

Additionally, even if you want to say L only wins if he can send Light to jail... I don't recall them telling us that Light's been destroying or burning pages from the death note as he's been using it. Having a log book of all the people he's suspected of killing will be pretty incriminating, especially any unreported deaths or causes of deaths. Let alone the ability to see Ryuk at that point, who may even just explain what's going on.
Old 2006-11-28, 16:14   Link #60
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
That's hardly fair, IMO. While L is being less careful with his identity than Light (I haven't watch the most recent episode), assuming he's using a false name. Light needs to know "Xxxxx Xxxxx is 'L', and this is what he looks like" for his win scenario against L. L, on the other hand, needs to know that "Xxxxx Xxxxx is 'Kira'" to win.

I don't see why you think it's some trivial matter for Light to discover L's identity when L is in fact substantially more covert in his actions and behavior than Light is. Or at least to the degree where he can't hide behind the invisble hand of the Death Note, so he actually puts thought into covering his tracks.
Dude bring it back a little...I never said Light getting L's name was trivial by any stretch...I just said that all of L's evidence is rendered pretty unsubstantial if Light was to figure him out first (which he's probably as close as L right now since his father is working directly with him)...Again faced with death or ultimate humiliation worse case scenerio he gives up half his life and just needs to see him...L once again has to do more than just figure out who "Kira" is...

Also don't discount the fact that police or agents may be much less willing to work for L given the deaths of many agents already which puts him at the disadvantage in man-power (and the ability of the men he does have who may fear "Kira" thus not produce results)...He'll he had to come out of hiding to devise a new plan with a localized unit who's chief is "Kira's" dad...How can L not be at the clear disadvantage I ask??

Quote:
Light doesn't strike me as deep-thinking enough to legitmately cover his tracks well enough to say "discovering his identity is near impossible" (supporting events: entire fbi "arc", and the end of ep 2).
Light has made mistakes because he's an arrogant academic teenager who seems to be playing a game (which means he wants to play this game)...If he wanted to he could stop this madness but is playing to continue it...He's immature and was intoxicated with power from the start which makes for a bad combination...Having his relative location found out propelled him to really start his game with L when he didn't even have to...Whatever the final results he has still shown ample critical thinking skills and deduction ability (as in eps 8 and 9), he is quite intelligent and cunning especially since his first mishap (Exposing his location), but no one is so smart that they'll make no mistakes and I never said finding his true identity is impossible by any means...Conversely L's mistakes cost people their lives as we've seen which doesn't quite equate to Light having the "WTF-face" paranoia when he makes a mistake...

Quote:
Additionally, even if you want to say L only wins if he can send Light to jail... I don't recall them telling us that Light's been destroying or burning pages from the death note as he's been using it. Having a log book of all the people he's suspected of killing will be pretty incriminating, especially any unreported deaths or causes of deaths. Let alone the ability to see Ryuk at that point, who may even just explain what's going on.
I never said L only wins when he sends Light to jail...I said he wins when he WINS...To me that could mean he has a gun to Light's back with one hand, the DeathNote under his arm with the other hand, a digital cam somewhere with the undeniable proof on it, AND a mask on his face...Simply catching Light on some percieved flimsy evidence isn't enuff...As smart as L is he can't even come close to comprehending an invisible shinigami from soul world is helping a Japanese teenager become a God of sorts...Without the deathnote in hand how do you prove any of this?? Even with the DeathNote in hand the public or jury has to be convinced a notebook can kill people...What you gonna do right Light's name or arbitrarily kill some Joe Schmo? IMO L will stay at the overall disadvantage even if he wins a battle or 2, because the DeathNote doesn't exist for him...I doubt anyone could truley understand what Light is going thru right now (Not that I agree with it morally)....

Honestly though, L's mistakes cost lives, Light's mistakes cost Ryuk's his red-apples...