AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-19, 19:54   Link #1
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Share me some goodies!

Ok I posted in someone elses thread, but didn't get much out of it. So I would like to create my own thread just to bring more attention...

-----------
Can you guys recommend/filter anime that falls into the category of drama/romance based on:

Shows that I liked: KGNE(heavy fav), True Tears(heavy fav), Ef - a tale of memories (heavy fav), Shuffle (above average, but not as good as previous two), Onegai teacher(fav), REC(fav), Chrno Crusade(fav), Fate/Stay Night(heavy fav), Claymore (not really romance, but I think it helps give you guys an idea- heavy fav).

Shows that I hated: Kanon, Air TV, Ah My goddess, midori days, maburaho, and saikano.

To explain why I hated these six, they were simply just boring to me. Kanon I dropped after ep 2, but I finished Air and realized I wasted my time. Ah My goddess was just so damn slow paced and boring, and I guess so-so character designs played a part in it. Midori Days... actually i'm not sure if this was a romance, but I think it was and I remember it was just plain stupid, along with maburaho. Saikano started out horrible and ended up dropping that too. I thought it was incredibly slow placed and on top of that, character designs aren't what i'm looking for.

Something to note: I realize that Clannad is very popular, but i also see its character design similar to Kanon and Air TV, which I do not like at all so I will not watch it.

I don't know what kind of trend I have, but I think I prefer a certain type of character design. It doesn't matter how "good" a series is, if I don't like looking at the character designs, it will be like torture for me. If you can recommend stuff close to shuffle, kgne, ef, true tears, fate/stay night, that would be best. (Does school days fit this list?)

Obviously a romance has to have some substance and emotional impact in it, if it doesn't have these I probably will drop it (ie Maburaho - although i liked the designs here more than kanon/air duh... lol).

I am currently watching 5 centimeters per second, kimikiss, kanokon.

Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Edit: How is ToLoveRu and itazura na kiss? Those don't seem to bad and fit my "trend."

------

Also if you have some action anime that is good, might as well list it down. I liked gundam seed/00, code geass, FMP (all of em), noir, madlax, black lagoon, gunslinger girl, tenjou tenge, ikkitousen (lol), and that's all I can think of. Post away!
Old 2008-05-19, 20:52   Link #2
Loli Gurl

I suggest H2O~footprints in the sand~. It is drama and romance.

Itzura na Kiss is good. I'm currently watching it. I think it's romance, comedy. I'm not sure about drama.
Old 2008-05-19, 21:08   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It seems like you like romance series, so why not give Myself ; Yourself a try? REC might be exactly what you're looking for too. H20 Footprints in the Sand is a hit or miss, but be warned that it contains fantasy like Kanon/Air.

Itazura na Kiss is good, and ToLoveRu is...not romance/drama. It's comedy/ecchi with a romance triangle motif that will probably continue until the very end.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-05-19 at 21:24.
Old 2008-05-19, 21:12   Link #4
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

I took a look at H2O and Myself; Yourself, and they seems to fit my criteria... YAH!! Thanks! Already watched REC, but Itazura na kiss seems to be widely supported. So I will look into that too.

Thanks for the input!
Old 2008-05-19, 22:26   Link #5
james0246

I am sure you have probably seen it, but Vision of Escaflowne meets many of your requirements (albeit being a less recent title than many of your likes and being composed of both your drama/romance desires as well as action desires). Very good epic romantic drama with some great action and a wonderful mixture of shoujo and shounen themes and character designs.

That being said, Itazura na Kiss is significatly better than ToLoveRu, but neither are specifically dramas nor romances (or at least not a deep romance).
Old 2008-05-19, 22:41   Link #6
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Hello again.

I wouldn't say School Days is like anything you've listed. It's a bit... unusual in the romance genre.
Itazura na Kiss is pretty good. It's more of a shoujo romantic comedy than a drama though, but I would expect more drama to come into play later in the series.

For other recommendations, you might want to try out Da Capo, which has been likened to Shuffle! with character designs similar to ef's. It moves even slower than Shuffle! at the beginning, but it becomes quite good in its final episodes.
If you end up liking Da Capo, try out Gift ~eternal rainbow~, which is quite similar.

Shakugan no Shana is pretty similar to Fate/Stay Night. It's a sort of action/fantasy with a touch of romance and drama. It's a bit longer with two seasons and a possible third though.

If you're a mecha fan, you want to try out Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, if you don't dislike the style. It's a bit on the comedic side like Full Metal Panic!, but it gets serious at times too.
Old 2008-05-20, 02:13   Link #7
Romalokp2
ecchi, funny,harem=great

^
I wouldn't say School Days is like anything you've listed. It's a bit... unusual in the romance genre
omg i just saw that and hated it
i wouldnt recomend this one
Old 2008-05-20, 06:00   Link #8
blewin

You might like Honey and Clover. It has romance, drama and also some comedy. Very realistic and emotionally evocative, bittersweet and engaging issues.
Old 2008-05-20, 06:29   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Gurren Lagann is on the other end of the spectrum when compared to Code Geass. The most epic thing that ever happened to anime.

I'd still suggest that you should watch a couple of episodes of Clannad first and decide whether you should continue. Or else you will miss the joy and tears we will experience in the greatly anticipated After Story.

EDIT: oh and Macross Frontier and Soul Eater are amazing as well.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2008-05-20 at 06:45.
Old 2008-05-20, 15:30   Link #10
nanafan
horo fan

i second honey and clover it's got comedy and the romance you are looking for, also think you should watch the second season too, itazura na kiss, and clannad(kind of like kanon but i think its better)
Closed Thread