AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-17, 14:45   Link #1741
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm not judging this in any moral way. If this were real life, of course I would be supporting the humans. But this is fantasy, and I am free to sympathize with the more interesting and "human" characters -- who are Sunako and Seishin and to a lesser extent the Kirishikis and Megumi. Except for Kaori and Ritsuko, the humans are either boring or brutal.

Sunako may "get what she deserved" (oh, how I loathe that phrase), but who of us would be safe if we all got exactly what we deserved? I think this is part of the theme of the show: we are all bloodsucking vampires, in one way or another. My own theory is that if we forget our shadows -- forget that we have evil in us -- our shadows will overwhelm us. Countries and people which think they are perfect tend to perpetrate horrors on others.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 14:53   Link #1742
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well at this point it's getting pretty crazy on both sides. I'm not really surprised to see how brutal some of the humans are getting. Really understanding that family and friends have been murdered, the fact that relatives have risen from the grave, and how this is a struggle for survival would push everyone to the brink. Killing a hypnotized villager is hardly that surprising since it's turned into an, us vs them situation. The Shiki are the enemy and anyone who helps them even hypnotized is the enemy. Obviously it doesn't work like that, but in this kind of situation could see people simplifying things down.

Sure some sympathy for Sunako, but she did create this situation. Could have kept things small, but decided to eliminate a village. Certainly the shiki must drink blood to survive. But should be possible to not have to kill off the victims. Even if they had to prey has the right to fight for survival as well. Nothing wrong with people fighting back.
Old 2010-12-17, 18:26   Link #1743
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Spoiler for Character Review from 20:
Old 2010-12-17, 22:03   Link #1744
PzIVf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
5th DVD cover is epic. Oh so epic.

The Doc remind me like a leader of racist group massacring entire black people in the village from the movie called Rosewood.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 22:11   Link #1745
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Also,do they need blood from people that are alive?

If I were to rise i'd raid a morgue with bodies of people that just died,wouldn't that work?
They could have just found a list of ppl who lived alone in a city and bunked with that person for a night, since they have hypnosis they can just command their host to forget that they were ever there. Rotate with every one within a single floor at an apartment would have been sufficient.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 05:55   Link #1746
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm not judging this in any moral way. If this were real life, of course I would be supporting the humans. But this is fantasy, and I am free to sympathize with the more interesting and "human" characters -- who are Sunako and Seishin and to a lesser extent the Kirishikis and Megumi. Except for Kaori and Ritsuko, the humans are either boring or brutal.
This might be because the humans have hardly been developed. Which humans do we really know on the human side? The show has only focused on Toshio, Seishin and the kids (Natsuno, Kaori, Akira). That's it.

I understand why you sympathize with Sunako and Seishin, but Megumi? She's one of the most inhuman character in the show in my opinion. She's incredibly selfish, shallow, and she kills for pleasure rather than necessity. She's the one shiki I'm dying to see staked.
Old 2010-12-18, 07:45   Link #1747
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I don't like seeing anyone killed, though i can agree with Kanon regarding Megumi. She at least needs to get what's coming to her, and chances are it'll have something to do with Natsuno.

Has anyone come across the first mini soundtrack yet?
Old 2010-12-18, 08:54   Link #1748
PzIVf3

Its still bugs me how the doc managed to breaks Chizuru mind control. Is it Natsuno bit him first before Chizuro? or his wife?
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 12:46   Link #1749
Manic
real men love pink

yeah they failed to show it but nats bites him before hand and commands him to keep his will, so it over rides the command chizuru gave him.

Quote:
Certainly the shiki must drink blood to survive. But should be possible to not have to kill off the victims. Even if they had to prey has the right to fight for survival as well. Nothing wrong with people fighting back.
yeah exactly i couldnt feel sorry for the shiki at all because they dont have to kill they just choose to. If they would just rotate who's blood they drink theyd never have to kill anyone. She and the rest brought this on themselves since they chose to take life instead of trying to come up with alternatives. Maybe thats why Seishin kept quiet
Old 2010-12-18, 13:43   Link #1750
Horse

Spoiler for mini soundtrack #2 @ january 26:

And still no rip of the first soundtrack...
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 16:05   Link #1751
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
yeah they failed to show it but nats bites him before hand and commands him to keep his will, so it over rides the command chizuru gave him.
So basically Natsuno has ingested blood and let Tatsumi think otherwise. I wonder how the Natsuno-Tatsumi showdown is going to be shown. There's just got to be one.
Old 2010-12-18, 22:00   Link #1752
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

Sunako may "get what she deserved" (oh, how I loathe that phrase), but who of us would be safe if we all got exactly what we deserved? I think this is part of the theme of the show: we are all bloodsucking vampires, in one way or another. My own theory is that if we forget our shadows -- forget that we have evil in us -- our shadows will overwhelm us. Countries and people which think they are perfect tend to perpetrate horrors on others.
The issue with Sunako isn't that she was wrong to want to live, or even wrong to kill people to further her own life. (This being fiction and not real life, of course) Rather, the people getting ready to storm the castle are a direct result of her attitude towards her own life and how she lives. You can't expect to dehumanize people by acting as though they are cattle and there to serve as your next meal, and then expect them to not to dehumanize you into a blood-sucking monster.

Despite that, I do pity Sunako. But her plea was painting herself as a victim of circumstance, when she is the one that created said circumstances.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 22:51   Link #1753
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
You can't expect to dehumanize people by acting as though they are cattle and there to serve as your next meal, and then expect them to not to dehumanize you into a blood-sucking monster.

Despite that, I do pity Sunako. But her plea was painting herself as a victim of circumstance, when she is the one that created said circumstances.
Perhaps we should also remember that it was her own family (and society in general, though the works that she read when she was kept in that storeroom) that dehumanised her first? Albeit after she killed for the first time because she was so hungry...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 01:33   Link #1754
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Well, the doc only got bit once by Chizuru, so he obviously just went ahead and got another vampire to bite him on the arm in order to override Chizuru's mind control that was placed on him. But the question still remains on who bit him besides Chizuru? Was it Natsuno? He did seem pretty energetic from his usual weak self during the earlier episodes when he had a chat with the other Jinrou.

Quote:
yeah exactly i couldnt feel sorry for the shiki at all because they dont have to kill they just choose to. If they would just rotate who's blood they drink theyd never have to kill anyone. She and the rest brought this on themselves since they chose to take life instead of trying to come up with alternatives. Maybe thats why Seishin kept quiet
Thinking from another world, what if that victim had recovered and remembered the events that transpired over the whole biting part? Then that person will defiantly go and tell the whole entire village that there are vampires on the loose and are going to kill us all, lets stake them! But thinking from another point, people will defiantly notice that strange reactions that the people who lost about 25% of their blood will give. Then will think that something else is up.

But then again, that does seem like a good idea of transitioning between who you bite and who you feed. But the Kirishiki family had another plan up their sleeves. They thought that if they could kill everyone and turn them all into vampires, they would not need to hide from society as a monster. But live in a peaceful, quiet village all to themselves.
Old 2010-12-19, 04:46   Link #1755
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well, the doc only got bit once by Chizuru, so he obviously just went ahead and got another vampire to bite him on the arm in order to override Chizuru's mind control that was placed on him. But the question still remains on who bit him besides Chizuru? Was it Natsuno? He did seem pretty energetic from his usual weak self during the earlier episodes when he had a chat with the other Jinrou.

Thinking from another world, what if that victim had recovered and remembered the events that transpired over the whole biting part? Then that person will defiantly go and tell the whole entire village that there are vampires on the loose and are going to kill us all, lets stake them! But thinking from another point, people will defiantly notice that strange reactions that the people who lost about 25% of their blood will give. Then will think that something else is up.

But then again, that does seem like a good idea of transitioning between who you bite and who you feed. But the Kirishiki family had another plan up their sleeves. They thought that if they could kill everyone and turn them all into vampires, they would not need to hide from society as a monster. But live in a peaceful, quiet village all to themselves.
We don't know how the hypnotic effect work, do we? We know that if the Shiki do not use hypnosis, then the victim will remember (Tohru vs Natsuno). But there is no mentioning if a Shiki bites, hypnotize the victim, then leave them alone. The victim then recovers and if the victim will remember the attack. The closest we have is Nao vs mother in law. The mother in law, after a couple days, still under hypnosis but "remember" that Nao visit her in her dream.

The best way for Shiki to survive is to maintain a small group and wander around. When things go bad they can escape quickly since they are a small group. Kinda like how the Kirishiki is at the beginning. The group consist of Tatsumi and Yoshie, the Jinroh, Mr. K the human and Sunako and Chizuru as the Shiki. But Sunako becomes lonely and want to create a village of Shiki. IMO that is a dumb idea.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 08:31   Link #1756
zero7090

hypocrite rotten old hag vs Angelic Maiden Ritsuko

this ep is full of win
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 08:34   Link #1757
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Perhaps we should also remember that it was her own family (and society in general, though the works that she read when she was kept in that storeroom) that dehumanised her first? Albeit after she killed for the first time because she was so hungry...
That's because they couldn't kill their own child. If they were able to do that, then this whole story wouldn't happen.
Old 2010-12-19, 08:40   Link #1758
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
That's because they couldn't kill their own child. If they were able to do that, then this whole story wouldn't happen.
Ok. So they couldn't kill her, so they dehumanised her. But it's wrong for Sunako to dehumanise those who dehumanised her?

I'm not saying I sympathise with Sunako over the humans. However, isn't it a bit like asking: which came first, the chicken or the egg?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-12-19 at 08:52.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 08:59   Link #1759
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Ok. So they couldn't kill her, so they dehumanised her. But it's wrong for Sunako to dehumanise those who dehumanised her?

I'm not saying I sympathise with Sunako over the Shiki. However, isn't it a bit like asking: which came first, the chicken or the egg?
No it's not a chicken and egg scenario as it is wrong for Sunako to dehumanize anyone. She was reading books in that library. She knows right from wrong. Any reason for dehumanizing that she came up with was so that she could justify killing.

Since Sunako was legally dead, her family could have done what that other guy did, took responsibility and staked her. Instead, they fed her and left the area. She could have commited suicide at any time instead she chose to kill others going beyond what it takes for personal survival to quell her "loneliness". Sucks to be her. Karma is a b***h. Hopefully, she gets what she deserves.
Old 2010-12-19, 09:35   Link #1760
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Sucks to be her. Karma is a b***h.

She pretty much says this herself when she says "this is my punishnment",I find it interesting how people try and defend her actions when Sunako herself doesn't defend them.

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire