AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2010-09-28, 19:59   Link #2141
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
keyword being "meant"...
Really i think the parade was just too poorly animated... namely instead of feeling lively, exciting and fun, it felt more like a series of character poses with some animation in between... sure this kind of stuff is typical of anime, but sometimes you do expect a little more.
Well hopefully that lil bit will be improved upon for the DVD version.

And Master calling Gazille/Gajeel 'Mr. Shooby Doo Bop' was hilarious. XD
Old 2010-09-28, 21:09   Link #2142
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
well not sure if i want to type this since it might ruin a lot of you for a good time so i'll put it in a spoiler. and maybe its just me and you guys won't see it at all, but just incase you don't want erza ruined for you, don't open

Spoiler:
The animators have this tendency to get her face wrong half the time, possibly due to different teams working on the show. You can even see it in a few of the OPs, like so:

They were doing better for quite a while, but she looked weird again for the parade.

In other news, they forgot to explain Luxus's Dragon Slayer magic. I suppose it's still possible next week (or the week after, if the one-week-break I heard about is accurate).
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 10:53   Link #2143
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Mirajane's been doing most of the work and has the magical ability to back it up.

I suspect long run it is going to be Erza or Lucy though. I can't see Natsu growing in to it.

Grey doesn't seem interested in leading and that makes the next best choice Levi.

Of course given how badly wrong some things have been they could end up with a troika of Happy, Elfman and Gerard. Or Ultear.
The prospect of Mirajane is interesting. She's definitely fairly strong, but she'd done more bookkeeping and bartending than actual leading. However, it does feel like she has potential. Her Take Over seems to be the strongest of her siblings, whcih I'm a bit put off by. Elfman supposedly Took Over the "King of Beasts" and yet is weaker? Was hoping for a bit more from a King of Beasts.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for someone who is really strong and showcases leadership potential, and while we have strong people, I don't really see anyone in that role just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
keyword being "meant"...
Really i think the parade was just too poorly animated... namely instead of feeling lively, exciting and fun, it felt more like a series of character poses with some animation in between... sure this kind of stuff is typical of anime, but sometimes you do expect a little more.
I'll admit, I expected a bit more in this regard. Especially early on, there were more stock animation footage, but I think quick and detailed action scenes can be more expensive to produce, so they save money by having a still character shot with speed lines, and reusing footage. This is a common thing especially among anime series that air on TV. But that reason alone is why I docked Fairy Tail a half a star on Anime-planet (see my sig), to give it 4.5 out 5 stars.

OVA's tend to have better fight animation, since they aren't stretching a budget to fill an arbitary number of episodes (12-13 or 24-26), and thus can focus on making the fights good. And of course, a good director will find various tricks to make a fight good, while still keeping costs down. Still frame with speed lines is just the cheapest, most common way to stretch a fight (yelling and powering up comes in second).

I just hope Fairy Tail doesn't copy DBZ too much. I tolerated it during the Laxus fight as a homage, but I hope they keep it real.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 11:13   Link #2144
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The prospect of Mirajane is interesting. She's definitely fairly strong, but she'd done more bookkeeping and bartending than actual leading. However, it does feel like she has potential. Her Take Over seems to be the strongest of her siblings, whcih I'm a bit put off by. Elfman supposedly Took Over the "King of Beasts" and yet is weaker? Was hoping for a bit more from a King of Beasts.
I think the strength of someone's take over depends a lot on that person's magical power than just which creature they take over.

If you recall, Mirajane was having a tough time defeating the King of Beasts herself on the mission where Lisanna got killed, so clearly the actual beast was a lot stronger than Elfman's current Take Over of it.

It's not just that Satan Soul is a powerful Take Over, it's that Mirajane has the incredible magical strength to back it up.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 21:59   Link #2145
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Episode 48 - Lucy in thigh-highs? In the immortal words of Hikaru Sulu, "Oh, my!"

This is an interesting situation, where a decision to continue was made late enough that what was obviously intended as a finale was edited into a continuity episode. I did find the whole Laxus/Gramps dynamic with the Fantasia rather moving, though I must confess Laxus' motivation seemed rather feebly explained to me, especially given that his attitude seemed to turn on a dime after Natsu and Gajeel whupped him.

I'm awfully glad this show got a new lease on life - it's a lot of fun. One wonders if ratings/DVD sales were so much better for FT than they were for say, D.Gray Man - another seemingly popular shounen adaptation that was terminated in the middle of the story.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 22:44   Link #2146
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Episode 48 - Lucy in thigh-highs? In the immortal words of Hikaru Sulu, "Oh, my!"

This is an interesting situation, where a decision to continue was made late enough that what was obviously intended as a finale was edited into a continuity episode. I did find the whole Laxus/Gramps dynamic with the Fantasia rather moving, though I must confess Laxus' motivation seemed rather feebly explained to me, especially given that his attitude seemed to turn on a dime after Natsu and Gajeel whupped him.

I'm awfully glad this show got a new lease on life - it's a lot of fun. One wonders if ratings/DVD sales were so much better for FT than they were for say, D.Gray Man - another seemingly popular shounen adaptation that was terminated in the middle of the story.
I agree the Laxus/Makarov dynamic was pretty nice. Can feel how close they were when Laxus was younger and that even after all this happened they still care a lot about each other. Of course Laxus just snapping out of it after losing seems like quite the massive shift. When seeing him get expelled it's almost hard to imagine he was the same guy who set up the Thunder Palace and unleashed Fairy Law. Wonder what might happen with Laxus down the road. If he can mellow out a little he could turn out to be a pretty good guy. If Gajeel can get redemption then I can't really count out Laxus returning in some form down the road.
Old 2010-09-30, 00:35   Link #2147
Clarste
Human

Laxus makes the most sense when you see him as a kid who just threw a tantrum. He knew that what he was doing was wrong halfway through it, but was too stubborn to stop, and the more people told him how pointless it was the more stubborn he got. After losing all that momentum though he's just sort of ashamed of himself.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 02:13   Link #2148
blewin

concur. I actually shed a few tears while the entire guild did the finger thing for Laxus.

This apparently was intended to be a final episode, showing all the past characters with Lucy commenting FT being the best guild. Still, who would mind more FT episodes! The atmopshere of Fantasia was well done. It's so much more better than my imagination and the manga. All the colours, magic, sound.... Great to see Juvia and Grey teaming up to do that bit of the show.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 12:15   Link #2149
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
concur. I actually shed a few tears while the entire guild did the finger thing for Laxus.

This apparently was intended to be a final episode, showing all the past characters with Lucy commenting FT being the best guild. Still, who would mind more FT episodes! The atmopshere of Fantasia was well done. It's so much more better than my imagination and the manga. All the colours, magic, sound.... Great to see Juvia and Grey teaming up to do that bit of the show.
Considering all the cr@& that Laxus did in the previous episodes, I'm surprised
they used their index fingers, and not their middle ones.........
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 13:16   Link #2150
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
That's not how a family should treat one another.
Old 2010-10-02, 07:55   Link #2151
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
I loled
Old 2010-10-02, 20:53   Link #2152
OkamiNoKaze

Episode 48 was great, especially the Fantasia part, Liked Erza doing her sword dancer thing. I'll agree, it felt like the show could end there, again glad to see it's not.
Old 2010-10-03, 13:13   Link #2153
Kaijo
Banned

Considering we're getting another 50 episodes of this, what are the chances we can get a subheading forum for Fairy Tail like Bleach and Naruto? Railgun and Index look like they got one, since they are getting second seasons as well.
Old 2010-10-03, 13:23   Link #2154
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Considering we're getting another 50 episodes of this, what are the chances we can get a subheading forum for Fairy Tail like Bleach and Naruto? Railgun and Index look like they got one, since they are getting second seasons as well.
It's been said time and time again that it's probably not gonna happen: look at the volume of posts, it's even lower than Highschool of The Dead and that didn't get a sub-forum.
Old 2010-10-03, 13:54   Link #2155
Bern-san

don't know if it has been posted but here an image with some of the new characters of second year (anime hibiki)

Spoiler for Second Year:
Old 2010-10-03, 15:27   Link #2156
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
It's been said time and time again that it's probably not gonna happen: look at the volume of posts, it's even lower than Highschool of The Dead and that didn't get a sub-forum.
Certainly not lacking at possibilities for topics if people wanted to talk about them. Though at the same time there is the volume issue. Unless the discussion really picks up nothing is going to happen. I mean D.Gray-Man didn't get a sub-forum and it had a ton of episodes as well.

Anyways I suppose with Laxus you do have to see it as a giant tantrum and something that was building up for a long time. His frustrations over his father's expulsion, being in Makarov's shadow, the goofiness of the guild in general, all just seemed to build up until he snapped and lost himself. Curious what his future will be. Unlike his father it's not like he's going to go out and make some dark guild while plotting revenge. I'm sure he's made enough money from S class quests to be secure for a while.
Old 2010-10-03, 16:43   Link #2157
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Certainly not lacking at possibilities for topics if people wanted to talk about them. Though at the same time there is the volume issue. Unless the discussion really picks up nothing is going to happen. I mean D.Gray-Man didn't get a sub-forum and it had a ton of episodes as well.

Anyways I suppose with Laxus you do have to see it as a giant tantrum and something that was building up for a long time. His frustrations over his father's expulsion, being in Makarov's shadow, the goofiness of the guild in general, all just seemed to build up until he snapped and lost himself. Curious what his future will be. Unlike his father it's not like he's going to go out and make some dark guild while plotting revenge. I'm sure he's made enough money from S class quests to be secure for a while.
Between the manga and anime and large cast, I think there's be more than enough topics for a sub forum. But if not, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I assume Laxus will come back into play once he gets around to doing the arc with Laxus's father. I think it was said in the manga or anime that Ivan wants to take the lacrima out of Laxus's body to sell or something.

Spoiler for speculation that covers some manga bits:
Old 2010-10-03, 17:40   Link #2158
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Index got one first season. It looks like the criteria is of the order of the mods think it will get over a hundred substantive posts per episode or so [Dragonauts didn't get its own forum and it got twice the posts Fairy tail's had so far, for example.]

If we posted lots of Art that might help.

Some stuff from deviantart, mostly colourisation.

Spoiler for Pictures:

Last edited by dahak; 2010-10-04 at 06:39.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 18:20   Link #2159
Clarste
Human

The idea of spamming the thread to force the mods to give us a subforum amuses me.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 18:49   Link #2160
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The idea of spamming the thread to force the mods to give us a subforum amuses me.
That won't work directly since they want to see, as I understand it, substantive discussion rather than just a clack.

Spoiler for Pictures:

Last edited by dahak; 2010-10-04 at 06:39.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen