AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-30, 11:09   Link #141
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I agree with this,I'd even say Monster being turned into an anime was a lucky anomaly,his other works like 20th century boys got a live action movie trilogy adaptation and "happy!" had a TV drama adaptation.
As for his recent work like "pluto",it's also getting a live action movie adaption I think.
I'm not that familiar with his other works, but do you think that the setting and many of the characters being European might have played a role in Monster being animated? Could have posed some challenges for a Japanese live action production.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 13:55   Link #142
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'm not that familiar with his other works, but do you think that the setting and many of the characters being European might have played a role in Monster being animated? Could have posed some challenges for a Japanese live action production.
You're onto something,I hadn't thought about that.
Probably why we'll never see a japanese live action of a certain seinen manga set in Italy that we're both fan of
Old 2011-11-30, 16:14   Link #143
Undertaker

Quote:
You're onto something,I hadn't thought about that.
Probably why we'll never see a japanese live action of a certain seinen manga set in Italy that we're both fan of
But with that being said, that didn't seem to impact the fact Nodame, Bloody Monday, etc still got adapted into drama. Japan's got enough mix-blooded celebrities to make it happen it they were set on it.

I still think it was more of timing than anything. the 90s anime/manga boom caused more series to get adapted in early 2000s and when the bubble burst due to under-performance (as relentlessflame somewhat mentioned) and coupled with the fact that drama/movie adaption seems to gather better response and even increased the sale of its source and it was a no-brainer.

Heck many manga-adapted drama nowadays will also promote original work and even giving them out as drawing prizes.

All this I think force anime studio to find new source to fill time slots and leads to LN and 4-koma seinen series as the next logical source and they strike gold with those adaptions been appealing to otaku crowd in addition to their original target demography.

Quote:
I agree with this,I'd even say Monster being turned into an anime was a lucky anomaly,his other works like 20th century boys got a live action movie trilogy adaptation and "happy!" had a TV drama adaptation.
As for his recent work like "pluto",it's also getting a live action movie adaption I think.

Just to give a few other exemples Ikigami got a live action movie
Liar Game has got 2 TV drama seasons and 2 movies (2nd one comes out next year)
Soil got a a TV drama
drops of god got a tv drama
And I'll finsh with something more oldschool (but I could go on):
Oldboy got a live action korean movie adaptation.

And really I feel like I could do the same thing with Shojo/Josai,to me those tend to get live action adaptions rather than animes as well.
BTW, Lair Game was awesome, Toda was incredibly cute in that one.

Which reminds me, that brings up another point. If those moe/fan service series are supposedly aim at otaku crowd only, why would the sale of original LN/manga increase? Afterall they are suppose to aimed as same target right? The fact is that these moe/fan service series had different target originally but was adapted in hope to catching otaku crowd and most of them were successful in doing that which actually brought otaku market into LN/4-koma market.
Old 2011-11-30, 17:24   Link #144
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Even as someone who likes moe, I do dislike the growing lack of variety we see today. What was the last high fantasy anime (other than an ecchi-driven show)? What was the last space opera anime? How many recent anime didn't have the country of Japan and/or a high school as the primary setting of the work?

Because there used to be plenty of anime shows that had different primary settings from that - Cowboy Bebop, Ergo Proxy, Trigun, Monster, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Record of Lodoss War, El Hazard, Magic Knight Rayearth, The Slayers, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Vandread, Saber Marionette J, Planetes, and I honestly could go on and on here.
This so much. Certain genres, settings and styles that I enjoy immensely became rarer and rarer during the 00s until they finally died out somewhere along 2007/2008.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 17:52   Link #145
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
But with that being said, that didn't seem to impact the fact Nodame, Bloody Monday, etc still got adapted into drama. Japan's got enough mix-blooded celebrities to make it happen it they were set on it.
Whoah,bloody monday got a drama?I missed that.

Quote:
I still think it was more of timing than anything. the 90s anime/manga boom caused more series to get adapted in early 2000s and when the bubble burst due to under-performance (as relentlessflame somewhat mentioned) and coupled with the fact that drama/movie adaption seems to gather better response and even increased the sale of its source and it was a no-brainer.
To get back to liar game (Toda is cute but I preffer how badass Shota is )which I think illustrates this.I still secretly hope for an anime but when I see the drama getting 4 or 5 times the ratings of a late night anime (and I doubt the anime would sell many dvds) I figure the producers must be thinking "why bother with an anime?"

Quote:
Heck many manga-adapted drama nowadays will also promote original work and even giving them out as drawing prizes.
Heck,not just dramas,the second season of kaiji seemed like one big promo for the movie that came out a couple weeks ago (and I think it did quite well at the box office)
Old 2011-11-30, 17:53   Link #146
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
This so much. Certain genres, settings and styles that I enjoy immensely became rarer and rarer during the 00s until they finally died out somewhere along 2007/2008.

The problem is that they didn't die out, they still exist and are being made despise the transition from anime to drama/movies there are also tons of new anime that are completely new as genre.

The main issue here is that U.S. company are not licensing certain genre that were popular back in 90s in west and fansubbers (the English ones) are not picking them up. Instead, they base their pick up on what Japanese and East Asians likes while eliminating the more niche series.

Besides many series Triple_R listed can also group into fan service/moe type. El Hazard, Magic Knight Rayearth, Saber Marionette J are all consistent with current trend as well.

Really, you give me a genre and setting and I'll give you at least 1 show a year that will match it.

Quote:
Whoah,bloody monday got a drama?I missed that.
Yep, 2 seasons, 1st season was really good and pretty much follows the 1st series. 2nd season wasn't quite as good mainly because 2nd series was still serializing at time.

Here's the link in dramawiki

I don't knwo if there is english subber for it as I got my J drama from either Chinese subber or from TV when I went back for visit.
Old 2011-11-30, 18:00   Link #147
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Really, you give me a genre and setting and I'll give you at least 1 show a year that will match it.
Sci fi in space that doesn't involve mechas?

There was a new Cobra series in 2009,but what else?
Old 2011-11-30, 18:25   Link #148
mecharobot

Quote:
Okay. Give me a space opera, high fantasy a historical drama. Give me cyberpunk, steampunk and straight adventure. Give me an idol anime. Give me classic scifi.

And note that none of these may not be some comedy and otaku pandering variants (eroge adaptions and such). So no, Idolmaster and Full Moon are not one and the same. I do watch obscure stuff myself and nowadays I never watch the mainstream ones (right now I'm watching Les Miserables, which is from *gasp* 2007). But hey, I'm lucky since you are here and can give me shows from the past three years that I missed. I can't wait to see more LoGH, Twelve Kingdoms, Monster, Rose of Versailles, Full Moon, Gunbuster, Ghost in the Shell (and the list goes on indefinitely).
Old 2011-11-30, 18:47   Link #149
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Give me a space opera, high fantasy a historical drama. Give me cyberpunk, steampunk and straight adventure. Give me an idol anime. Give me classic scifi.

And note that none of these may not be some comedy and otaku pandering variants (eroge adaptions and such).
Loaded request. And "idol anime that is not otaku pandering"?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 18:54   Link #150
Undertaker

Quote:
Sci fi in space that doesn't involve mechas?

There was a new Cobra series in 2009,but what else?
This is actually a hard one that you are throwing out since even in 90s, there are hardly any space drama without mecha. Most are from 70s and 80s like LoTGH or Yamato. Galaxy Rail, etc.

anyway, for post 05 and sticking to TV, other than Cobra I can think of Glass no Kantai in 06, Moonlight Mile in 07, Tytania in 08 and Level E in 11.

Anyway, speaking of Liar Game earlier, I was surprise to notice that Kaitani's other work One Out actually has an anime adaption in 08, probably due to the popularity of Liar Game drama and it's gambling baseball theme. Although I do know that his newer work Rei no uri ~yokusha Oda girikyoukonouso was made drama last year and while different than manga it was a fun and interesting series starting Ishihara Satomi, AKB's Oshima Yuko, and Tanihara Shosuke.

Quote:
Okay. Give me a space opera, high fantasy a historical drama. Give me cyberpunk, steampunk and straight adventure. Give me an idol anime. Give me classic scifi.

And note that none of these may not be some comedy and otaku pandering variants (eroge adaptions and such). So no, Idolmaster and Full Moon are not one and the same. I do watch obscure stuff myself and nowadays I never watch the mainstream ones (right now I'm watching Les Miserables, which is from *gasp* 2007). But hey, I'm lucky since you are here and can give me shows from the past three years that I missed. I can't wait to see more LoGH, Twelve Kingdoms, Monster, Rose of Versailles, Full Moon, Gunbuster, Ghost in the Shell (and the list goes on indefinitely).
Dude narrow it down a bit, besides you do know the ones you listed are mostly classics that span over 25 years right? Besides, how many cyberpunk and steampunk are there before 2005?

Are you looking a high fantasy or historic?

I can give you 3 historic right off my head in past 3 years and if you are just looking for anime with historical setting and not actually about historical fiction then there are a couple more.

Myouge Mono
Saikyou Bushou-den Sangoku Engi
Souten Kouro

I don't know why you list Full Moon, there are ton of magical girls shows around if nothing else, Precure. If you are hell bend on it been shojo manga than Shugo Chara. If it's just about being idol then Skip Beat and while you might not like to hear but Idol Master more about being idol than Full Moon ever was. Full Moon was romance comedy first and foremost. Either way Kirarin Revolution is a 135 beast from 2006-2009.

Rose of Versailles is unique it self as a shojo manga there probably never going to be another shojo manga like that that place itself as historical fiction and as such not likely to have another anime like it. So this one I'll conceit. But there are enough serious shojo romance around that putting this out here seem counter-productive.

Straight adventure/high fatasy is fairly easy: Katanagatari, Hakuouki: Shinsengumi Kitan, Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu (Legend of Legendary Heroes), Otome Youkai Zakuro, Pandora Hearts, Guin Saga, Sarai-ya Goyou, etc

Sci-fi: Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin, Deadman Wonderland, 07-Ghost, Togainu no Chi, Fireball Charming,etc.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-11-30 at 20:03.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 19:52   Link #151
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
How many recent anime didn't have the country of Japan and/or a high school as the primary setting of the work?
Hmm, speaking of the domination of high school settings: Suppose someone wants to hold a contest involving high school uniforms (Saiseifuku? ). I wonder just how many anime seasons you could go back without finding at least 10 entrants in a given season...
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 20:09   Link #152
Undertaker

But high school setting has been around though.

What I can't stand right now are people who keep quoting classics as examples yet neglect to point out that the few they listed were spread out over 25 year period. Then, when past 10 year doesn't suit their argument it'a past 5 years and now it's limited to past 3 years, and I'll be damned if someone don't limit to this year and then this season....
Old 2011-11-30, 20:24   Link #153
stormtrooper

Some people have bad memories and it just shows that.
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 20:25   Link #154
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
Some people have bad memories and it just shows that.
I agree with this since I saw some Japanese rankings on anime and they are usually recently hyped anime.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 20:40   Link #155
mecharobot

Quote:
What I can't stand right now are people who keep quoting classics as examples yet neglect to point out that the few they listed were spread out over 25 year period. Then, when past 10 year doesn't suit their argument it'a past 5 years and now it's limited to past 3 years, and I'll be damned if someone don't limit to this year and then this season....
So you're admitting that the last three to four years have been a lackluster in this regard?

Also, your attempt to mash different peoples opinions as one is pathetic.

editing as answer to edit:

Hyouge Mono - Japan
Saikyou Bushou-den Sangoku Engi - Chinese made, but I guess it fits
Souten Kouro - A derivative action show
Shugo Chara - 2007, magical girl
Precure - Magical Girl, sentai
Idolmaster - game derivative otaku pandering
Skip Beat - 2008

Also, obviously our definitions of scifi and fantasy are different. I'd say Guin Saga, LoLHeroes and maybe Fireball are close enough. Katanagatari is in Japanese setting and it's a derivative show from a battle type anime and is actually a kind of satire. What you're doing is listing a lot of derivative works. Soups when I ask beef. Then there is also the issue of their half-assed production, but that is another story.

Last edited by mecharobot; 2011-11-30 at 21:29.
Old 2011-11-30, 20:42   Link #156
Brimstone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
I agree with this since I saw some Japanese rankings on anime and they are usually recently hyped anime.
Because those tend to be base on popularity, you can't expect a ten years old series to be just as popular as what's airing now.

I like Evangelion, but it's not going to occupy my mind when there's Persona 4, Working'!! and Fate/Zero this season.

Quote:
So you're admitting that the last three to four years have been a lackluster in this regard?
Yeah nice try yourself at spinning his words, but it's a number game- you can't compare the number of good shows over 3 years vs the ones over 25 years. Of course there's going to be more good shows over 25 years than 3 years because it's over a broader range.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 21:02   Link #157
Undertaker

Quote:

Also, your attempt to mash different peoples opinions as one is pathetic.

I never say that, I do find it interesting that in addition to Full Moon, you put Gunbuster as your example when that series is just as much a fan-service series as any that has been shown recently, could it be that you ran out of titles to list? Because the titles I listed were titles that were almost devoid of any female character, and if that's is not a requirement...
Old 2011-11-30, 21:26   Link #158
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, there was an animated Space Battleship Yamato movie in 2009. There is going to be a series in 2012 for it as well.

There was the Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssy OVA series in 2002 and 2003.

Galaxy Railways series from from 2003 - 2007.

There was Welcome to the Space Show in 2010 (if that counts...never watching it)
Old 2011-11-30, 21:40   Link #159
mecharobot

Quote:
I never say that, I do find it interesting that in addition to Full Moon, you put Gunbuster as your example when that series is just as much a fan-service series as any that has been shown recently, could it be that you ran out of titles to list?
Obviously meant as an idol anime and a super robot show. I guess you're going to try and list TTGL and a bunch of random robot shows next.

And you did say exactly that. Stringing different peoples opinions together in order to try and build an argument. Then generalizing it. Tut, tut.
Old 2011-11-30, 21:46   Link #160
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Welp, looks like this discussion is going on a turn for the worse.

Discussions on moe always go down this muddy road, that's why it's both annoying and entertaining at the same time.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trends