AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-29, 08:15   Link #6701
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Run it through a beta?
Old 2010-11-29, 09:06   Link #6702
sasuke706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Now people are saying that my translation is so rigid, bad quality, and whatsoever. Since I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on how to improve, I'll ask you guys on what I should do as well.
Tell them to fix it so you can learn, then. If they're willing to complain but not help fix it, tell them to bug off. Remember, the Internet has all kinds of people; everyone being happy with something is utterly impossible.

P.S. This post underwent a politeness revision.
Old 2010-11-29, 09:11   Link #6703
outerelf

Teh_Ping, it's impossible to please the masses. Absolutely impossible. That's why you ignore them like I do.

But honestly, I'll agree with sasuke706, tell the people that complain that they can fix it. If they can't, well, why are they complaining? If they're willing- well, good for them. Maybe they can help with translating.

I know that I am personally a leecher because I read translations with barely a word of thanks, and without helping, but at least I don't insult the people that are translating. That's like biting the hand that feeds you.

Anyways, personally I think your translations are fast, reliable, and good quality. (Especially compared to FrankenHouse or whatever its called)
Old 2010-11-29, 09:18   Link #6704
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Trust me, I had the urge to do a complete 30-minute length rebuttal regarding this, and it won't be pretty. I'm the type who'll really shout at people if they don't let other people out of the trains first before trying to hurry up and ease their lazy bums on the hard seats (It's a Singaporean culture. 'Love your ride', as if...). Though I have to give credit to the editors, since they continually survive the wall of text and managed to stay awake before making the edits.

Nya~n, what do you mean, a beta?

Anyway, I'm going with something weird for kicks. For the earlier novels, I'll be going backwards, as in real sdrawkcad.
Old 2010-11-29, 09:32   Link #6705
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Trust me, I had the urge to do a complete 30-minute length rebuttal regarding this, and it won't be pretty. I'm the type who'll really shout at people if they don't let other people out of the trains first before trying to hurry up and ease their lazy bums on the hard seats (It's a Singaporean culture. 'Love your ride', as if...). Though I have to give credit to the editors, since they continually survive the wall of text and managed to stay awake before making the edits.

Nya~n, what do you mean, a beta?

Anyway, I'm going with something weird for kicks. For the earlier novels, I'll be going backwards, as in real sdrawkcad.
A beta is like an editor, you run your script through them to check for spelling/grammar errors before posting it. Basically, you find some guy to proof read your stuff before you post it, instead of having the editors on BT edit as you go after posting. Anyway, you should just ignore the trolls on complaining about your grammar or w/e. I think I know what you're talking about it was probably just one guy being trying to be an ass.

And lol, I kind of figured you would when I saw you registered volume 6 chapter 4.
Old 2010-11-29, 09:36   Link #6706
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Well, I'm thinking of getting either EnigmaticRepose or Tact to help out with it, but I'll leave it at the B-T wiki (Maybe I'll get the admins to quickly lock it up one week after the chapter's completed, and Vaelis' like the only one active now). Honestly, a lot of these grammatical mistakes aren't made by me (You will see me using "That's because" instead of "That is because", it feels a lot more rigid.)

EDIT: Well, I guess by now, you should know that I take a lot of pride in my work, even though I'm a slacker.

Last edited by Hell_ping; 2010-11-29 at 09:58.
Old 2010-11-29, 11:27   Link #6707
larethian

Quote:
I'm struggling quite a bit with RL as well. Lots of admin work in my office, and I've given up on translating Baka Test during work (too much). One update of each item that I'm working on each week, around the same time the season 2 episode airs.

Now people are saying that my translation is so rigid, bad quality, and whatsoever. Since I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on how to improve, I'll ask you guys on what I should do as well.
you are the translator, not the editor, there are always blocks here and there on which words to use, how to reformat the sentence, etc. if you keep spending many minutes on thinking for every sentence, it'll just slow you down. let the editors do their job.

though I also have a suggestion based on a particular observation. if you read the original works (not just TAMnI but other novels as well), you would notice that each author has a tendency to use the same words, phrases, sentence structures repetitively, if you know what I mean. similarly, when we translate we also have a tendency to use the same words to translate certain words. this is like habitual vocab. for eg., I have a tendency to translate 叫び to 'yell', and I just realize Defade (who is working on the same series as me) uses 'holler' instead. I've actually learned quite a number of alternative words, and alternative sentence structures, phrases by reading her translations. maybe it might give some insight if you read the other translations of TAMnI.
Old 2010-11-29, 12:09   Link #6708
outerelf

Hmm... But I think it makes it more consistent. Repetative, yes, but that's what editors are for, right? To suggest alternative words when deemed necessary. Otherwise it's just nitpicking, right?
Old 2010-11-29, 15:35   Link #6709
outerelf

Oh yes, that reminds me- on the To Aru majutsu no Index wiki, does anyone agree about making a page about the Vending Machine?

Spoiler for One I'm talking about:

It seems to be a place of mild importance.
Old 2010-11-29, 15:56   Link #6710
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
Oh yes, that reminds me- on the To Aru majutsu no Index wiki, does anyone agree about making a page about the Vending Machine?

Spoiler for One I'm talking about:

It seems to be a place of mild importance.
vending machine?
Old 2010-11-29, 16:34   Link #6711
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Really? All it's useful for is eating up money and being abused by a middle school girl.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:02   Link #6712
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Really? All it's useful for is eating up money and being abused by a middle school girl.
But it seems to be a meeting place. Ah, well, never mind. Forget I said anything
Old 2010-11-29, 18:22   Link #6713
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Volume 15 Chapter 1 updated.

Last Order's ahoge is actually an antenna equipped with a built-in Accelerator radar.

Quote:
"(...What's with that brat showing up in a situation like this!? That 'God' bastard sure is messing around!!)"

"(...Hahaha, that's life for you)"
Accel may acknowledge God's existence, but he sure doesn't worship him.
Old 2010-11-29, 19:10   Link #6714
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Volume 15 Chapter 1 updated.

Last Order's ahoge is actually an antenna equipped with a built-in Accelerator radar.

Accel may acknowledge God's existence, but he sure doesn't worship him.
this voluma has kinda a darker tham black vibe, things are really different when touma is not around huh?, but this is sure one of the best volumes in the series.
Old 2010-11-29, 20:51   Link #6715
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
"(...What's with that brat showing up in a situation like this!? That 'God' bastard sure is messing around!!)"

"(...Hahaha, that's life for you)"
That line is hilarious. Accelerator should be a comedian...

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2010-11-30, 09:38   Link #6716
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
That line is hilarious. Accelerator should be a comedian...
I wouldn't like a comedian who can destroy the whole place because of somebody from the audience pissed him off .
Old 2010-11-30, 09:53   Link #6717
tsunade666

bad level of anger management
Old 2010-11-30, 10:42   Link #6718
Shadow5YA

On a serious level, I wouldn't be surprised if Last Order could detect Accelerator, since he is connected to her network.
Old 2010-11-30, 18:23   Link #6719
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
It would suck if Sylixe doesn't start, but hoping for the best case scenario:

Now we have Kwei, Nera Sleith, and MerrickXasis (maybe he'll start soon) working on the earlier novels, Teh_Ping working on volume 16 and 6, Joay working on volume 15, Flere translating volume 22 (and maybe volume 19 or 20 later), hopefully Sylixe will start on finishing up SS1 later this month, Pikachuwei doing parts of volume 21, and with any luck this new translator will make a commitment to finish volume 14. I can't think of any other project on BT with this much support.
about that, sorry for taking a hiatus from tl 4 the moment, i was packing/flying back to taiwan.

plus monster hunter portable 3rd is out today, so im going to probably dump a few hundred hours into that XD

ill try and get back to finishing at least part 7, maybe the whole of chapter 8 before end of summer hols. (part 7 so long )

EDIT: TAIWAN COMPUTER HAS NO MICROSOFT WORD oO

looks like ill be translating on notepad XD

EDIT 2

small addition to part 7 i did this morning before going out for breakfast

Accelerator, meet sweep.

A note on sweep since it can be a bit confusing. The first sweep consisted of 10 "waves" of tens of millions of meteors for each "wave"

however as you can see at the end of the update misha prepares for wave 2 of sweep. so sweep is seperated into big waves and small waves. As to make it less confusing, i made the small waves "shots", which sounds not as awesome, but for practical reasons it had to be done =/

Last edited by pikachuwei; 2010-11-30 at 18:52.
Old 2010-12-01, 23:44   Link #6720
EvilSamurai

about this translation in Vol. 15

Spoiler for kanine explains his power:

Shouldn't "refraction" be 'polarization' or some other similar word since the way his power is being described sounds just like a mixture of 'refractive polarization/reflective polarization', and 'wave-propagation'. In fact it sounds like it came right out of nonlinear optics.

Anyway, would a change like this be more appropriate in light of this.

edit: nevermind, I put too much though into that.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen