AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-05-14, 17:38   Link #61
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I only chose that site as it came up first when I typed "typing speed test" into google.

To be honest, I don't see how the source material would particularly effect it. The only valid criticism is that it requires you to copy & type.

If you want to see how well you do without copying, just do the test and disregard what it says and type whatever you like. Obviously it will tell you you have 100 errors or something, but you'll still get a recording of your typing speed.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 18:42   Link #62
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I seem to get 70-100 WPM depending on word length in whatever I'm typing. With just my left hand, I can manage about 50, + a few.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 07:00   Link #63
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Your speed was: 68wpm.

You made 1 mistake, your mistake is shown in bold text:

ME thought I saw the grave, where Laura lay, Within that Temple, where the vestall flame, Was wont to burne, and passing by that way, To see that buried dust of living flame, Whose tombe faire love, and fairer vertue kept, All suddenly I saw the Faery Queene: At whose approch the soule of Petrarke wept, And from thenceforth those graces were not seene. For they this Queene attended, in whose steed Obliuion laid him downe on Laura's herse: Hereat the hardest stones were seene to bleed, And grones of Buried ghostes the heauens did perse. Where Homer's spright did tremble all for griefe, And curst th'accesse of that celestiall theife.
My first test below 70, but I detect a hell of a lot more than ONE mistake in this text (and the mistake was a capital letter lol)! Wtf is this....
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 12:57   Link #64
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I only chose that site as it came up first when I typed "typing speed test" into google.

To be honest, I don't see how the source material would particularly effect it. The only valid criticism is that it requires you to copy & type.

If you want to see how well you do without copying, just do the test and disregard what it says and type whatever you like. Obviously it will tell you you have 100 errors or something, but you'll still get a recording of your typing speed.
Yeah, mine jumps up to 80 WPM when I'm just typing free-associated words from my head. Pretty decent considering my inefficient 3-fingered typing style.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 16:49   Link #65
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I got 90 WPM with 3 mistakes (I hate this damn laptop). It's much, much easier to type things that are free flowing from my head I must say though.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 22:10   Link #66
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
64 with no mistakes, but I spent ages trying to correct shit.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 23:48   Link #67
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

83 with no mistakes. 90 when I was just typing random things. I need to improve my accuracy, though. I spent so much time backspacing. I'd probably be faster if I didn't bother with proper capitalization, too...
Old 2011-05-16, 03:03   Link #68
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
My first test below 70, but I detect a hell of a lot more than ONE mistake in this text (and the mistake was a capital letter lol)! Wtf is this....

What's happening is that the site and sample texts are themselves poorly written and not checked for typos -_-. If the sample text has a typo'ed word in it, you're gonna have to write it like that or it'll claim you made a mistake since all the test does is compare the given text to what you wrote. That's what I found most annoying the test .. No capitalized letters when needed, and the more common ones where ' is not used where it should ..
Old 2011-05-16, 03:06   Link #69
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What's happening is that the site and sample texts are themselves poorly written and not checked for typos -_-. If the sample text has a typo'ed word in it, you're gonna have to write it like that or it'll claim you made a mistake since all the test does is compare the given text to what you wrote. That's what I found most annoying the test .. No capitalized letters when needed, and the more common ones where ' is not used where it should ..
There's also a lot of poor attention to punctiation in a lot of those texts, I've noticed. It's what threw me off the most when I was taking the test the other day.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 03:49   Link #70
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

90 WPM with a few backspaces/no mistakes, 96 if I speed through with mistakes. On my second try I should mention I backspaces a bunch of times and went down to 82.
Old 2011-05-16, 04:33   Link #71
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Got 42 with 2 errors, which is way faster than what i always expected. Thought mine is at range of 20 wpm or so
Old 2011-05-16, 13:51   Link #72
Xacual

I didn't check mine but I know from a typing course back in highschool that I used to type quite slowly. I also know that what increased my typing speed or at least the only thing I'd really done for years was playing online games. When you don't have a voice program like ventrilo or otherwise open it's really critical to type messages fast so you don't fail at your own role for typing.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 19:15   Link #73
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Netbook keyboard. High 60's to mid 70's no mistakes. Significantly faster if I don't backspace to correct mistakes (100-115). I'll try with a good mechanical and my Thinkpad keyboard later.

I generally follow the standard typing way that we are taught with the notable exceptions of "y" which I use my left hand pointer, and "b" which is my right and pointer instead of the other way around. Ring finger often replaces pinky for q z and p.

Quote:
Who else types like 4 to 5 words and realize they made a mistake so ends up backspaces your 4 to 5 words to correct that mistake?
I do this as well
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 20:22   Link #74
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Got 42 with 2 errors, which is way faster than what i always expected. Thought mine is at range of 20 wpm or so
Surely you're not serious ? 20WPM would mean that the post you wrote took one minute to write .. That would be awfully slow. Well even with 42, I'd suggest to practice and improve typing speed if 60 is what is considered as average.
Old 2011-05-16, 22:27   Link #75
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Surely you're not serious ? 20WPM would mean that the post you wrote took one minute to write .. That would be awfully slow. Well even with 42, I'd suggest to practice and improve typing speed if 60 is what is considered as average.
60 is averaged for this forum. According to wikipedia it's about 33 WPM. Wikipedia could be wrong though.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 09:53   Link #76
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
60 is averaged for this forum. According to wikipedia it's about 33 WPM. Wikipedia could be wrong though.
Well the citation to that statement points to this source:
Karat, C.M., Halverson, C., Horn, D. and Karat, J. (1999), Patterns of entry and correction in large vocabulary continuous speech recognition systems, CHI 99 Conference Proceedings, 568–575.

Too bad we can't look it up ourselves. And 1999? That's an outdated source...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 18:08   Link #77
Cream

94wpm , 4 mistakes . All from commas , oh how lovely , 500 , commas , used , everywhere , in , the , text .
Old 2011-05-24, 10:08   Link #78
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

70 wpm with 1 mistake. Apparently i fumbled one word at the end: "swuare" instead of "square"

EDIT: 2nd Attempt was 73wpm with no mistake. Guess that's around my typing speed ^_^

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
eplipswich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 11:33   Link #79
sa547
*Author

I did 62wpm as a copywriter a few years ago, sometimes I let my fingers feel the keyboard while my eyes are glued to the screen.
Old 2011-05-24, 19:00   Link #80
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Your speed was: 55wpm.

You made 1 mistake, your mistake is shown in bold text:

The use of the Queen, in a dignified capacity, is incalculable. Without her in England, the present English Government would fail and pass away. Most people when they read that the Queen walked on the slopes at Windsor -that the Prince of Wales sent to the Derby- have imagined that too much thought and prominence were given to little things. But they have been in error; and it is nice to trace how the actions of a retired widow and an unemployed youth become of such importance. The best reason why Monarchy is a strong government is, that it is an intelligible government. The mass of mankind understand it.
Having to copy the text definitely slowed me down a lot. It doesn't help that I don't normally write in such a manner. Still, kinda interesting.

Narf.