AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-03-15, 09:56   Link #21
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Yet nothing... NOTHING about the White Washing that happened in Dr Strange.
I heard a lot more complaints about The Ancient One being "whitewashed" than I have about Iron Fist. In fact, the only I've heard about the latter is on this forum, and that wasn't even complaining, it was just mentioning the existence of the complaint.
Old 2017-03-15, 18:10   Link #22
Twi

There were nothing but complaints when it came to the Ancient One, more so considering that was done because putting a Chinese Actor in a Tibet-born role would have been really offensive and China wouldn't let them put an actor from Tibet into the proper role.
Old 2017-03-15, 22:51   Link #23
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
There were nothing but complaints when it came to the Ancient One, more so considering that was done because putting a Chinese Actor in a Tibet-born role would have been really offensive and China wouldn't let them put an actor from Tibet into the proper role.
And I understand those complaints, even though I thought Tilda Swinton did an amazing job in their version of the role. I also understand why they did it. A potential boycott backed by the Chinese government is a lot more threatening than one backed by the comparatively tiny SJW community. Especially when the latter is a particularly fickle audience anyway.

I'm just not seeing any kind of real blowback regarding Iron Fist. Sure, I can Google and find references to it, but that's pretty much always the case. People are always complaining about something. And I didn't exactly have to do that for Doctor Strange, or Fant4stic, or even the new Spider-Man, which were/are having similar casting kerfuffles.
Old 2017-03-16, 00:09   Link #24
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The main complaint about Ironfist is from the comic fans, who are fearing that the mystical elements are being removed entirely. This is more damaging than any argument about race.
Old 2017-03-16, 02:52   Link #25
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Pretty bad that people are calling this white washing. XD
Frankly, Marvel comic is suffering in black-washing for whatever their reason racial equity or what so those people complaining white-washing issue for this are doesn't make any sense.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 18:25   Link #26
GDB

About three episodes in so far. First episode was really strong, second really weak, and third was about on par with expectations from Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and DD2. Only REAL complaint so far is:

Spoiler for Details:

*edit*

Okay, holy crap episode 4. No spoilers for it, but to summarize it, "Cut the crap and start to the real plot now" about sums it up. Hopefully it keeps this momentum going.

Last edited by GDB; 2017-03-17 at 20:39.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 17:00   Link #27
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
So far so good for me. At the very least I'm finding it easier to get into this show and want to burn through it more than some previous Netflix Marvel shows. What Danny Rand is trying to do in the first few episodes makes sense and I like how it builds up to his major struggles.
Spoiler for Episodes 1-6:

Fingers crossed that this keeps going strong. In the end tastes vary. Just for me it has been a good ride so far.

Edit: And yes I did basically marathon this in a day.
Spoiler for Ep7-13:

In the end, good times. I wouldn't say it is the best Netflix Marvel show. As a whole I don't think it holds up that well. Though I might put it 3rd after the first two seasons of Daredevil.

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2017-03-19 at 04:04.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 10:22   Link #28
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Frankly, Marvel comic is suffering in black-washing for whatever their reason racial equity or what so those people complaining white-washing issue for this are doesn't make any sense.
Can we not ____ Wash anything and just do more shows and movies about the MANY different racial characters? I've been dying for Black Panther or Static Shock (and if Jaden Smith gets that roll I WILL jump off this flat planet)
Old 2017-03-19, 10:28   Link #29
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

this show seemed slower to start than other marvel shows. i get they have to develop danny's struggles, but it took a long time to get to the point where people finally realized who he was.

him trying to figure out his morality is also a little annoying. he's to naive.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2017-03-19 at 11:29.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 10:48   Link #30
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally watched Iron Fist. A good show even though it's not impressive like the earlier Marvel-Netflix shows. At least it shows that Jessica Henwick's character Colleen Wing is a talented fighter unlike the embarrassing fight from GOT.

PS: I find it weird that this the 1st Marvel-Netflix show that Critics hate but viewers love.
Old 2017-03-22, 11:36   Link #31
AntonKutovoi

It was an OK series. Liked it more than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, and it was miles better than Agent Carter. Well, except that Jones had a better villian. Still not as god as DD or Agents of Shield as far as Marvel TV series goes.

Last edited by AntonKutovoi; 2017-03-22 at 13:14.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 13:12   Link #32
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

I've also finished it. I liked DD (both seasons) more, and Jessica Jones at parts was better. I think it was overall better than Luke Cage. Although the dialogue sometimes bothered me. Just felt so weird at times and out of place. I can't really explain why though.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 17:11   Link #33
sayde

I guess I gotta be the one to say it. Don't hate me for my opinion, but this has become my favorite Netflix series of the MCU. I feel like after the first 3 episodes, the pace got better and the action felt more frequent and consistent in comparison to other series. I didn't know anything about Iron Fist going into this. So that may have worked out to my benefit too.

On a side note, it's been very rewarding seeing Claire's character evolve throughout the course of all these different netflix projects.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 15:49   Link #34
GDB

Through episode 10 now. Gotta say, for a guy who's supposed to be in perfect control of his mind, body, and emotions... Danny has a far worse temper than Matt Murdock. Hell, it's almost as bad as the temper on Jessica Jones.

Not liking the turn the series has taken the past episode or two, though. Starting to feel a bit aimless like DD2 and Luke Cage.
Old 2017-03-24, 16:10   Link #35
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Through episode 10 now. Gotta say, for a guy who's supposed to be in perfect control of his mind, body, and emotions... Danny has a far worse temper than Matt Murdock. Hell, it's almost as bad as the temper on Jessica Jones.
I can see why you'd feel that way. Though I do think it's explainable to a degree. I mean I would assume he probably didn't get a lot of opportunities to learn how to deal with the pain of emotions stemming from love and betrayal during his time in K'un-Lun. Physical pain and fear strike me as the things he learned to control the most.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 04:38   Link #36
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Well it was... dissapointing, the lead has absolutely no fighting chops, he looks like he's tap dancing in every fight, Claire feels shoehorned for continuity, and above all it felt like watching a literal child playing superhero, wich was probably intended, if we go by the 'lost 15 years in a mystical monastery getting phisically abused by warrior monks', giving him absolutely no tools to deal with his trauma or get emotionally mature.
All that could probably have been overlookef if the lead didnt look like a hipster and could pretend to fight, I'm sure that top notch fighting coreography could have saved this, but all in all it was average and a step down when compared to Jessica Jones or Daredevil, probably on par with Luke Cage.
Old 2017-03-28, 16:03   Link #37
GDB

Finally finished it. Definitely the weakest of the Netflix series. I felt like it was at least better than Luke Cage until a little after half way through, but then it just fell apart. They clearly didn't know where they wanted to go with this series, nor what they wanted to accomplish. By the end I feel I neither understand the character of "Danny Rand" nor care about him, which is a first for these series. And unlike Luke Cage, he barely used his powers at all, making him feel like a cheap knockoff of Daredevil 99% of the time.

Also, shave your beard and get a haircut, you hippie.
Old 2018-07-20, 08:38   Link #38
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Season 2 Teaser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-07-20, 12:23   Link #39
Twi

Not giving me the hype vibes I need to remain interested.
Old 2018-08-16, 11:04   Link #40
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Season 2 Trailer.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
martial arts, marvel cinematic universe, netflix, superheroes