AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-08-08, 10:43   Link #81
rpapo

I was so close to the end of the chapter, I didn't want to post any of it before I'd finished it all. Besides which, I was trying to get a good handle on Banri's and Chinami's attitudes in that last conversation. Judging from this conversation and other evidence, it would appear that besides being a voice-actor and a film studies student, she is also a bit of a paparazzi.

See the back cover of volume 3, where you find Chinami (drawn in chibi style) apparently chasing somebody with an open video recorder in her hand.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 19:51   Link #82
Anonymous_Slider

Location: Together with my family, my samsung champ, and my Lenovo T61
I'm wondering while re-reading volume 1. Is Banri really a crybaby?
Spoiler:
Anonymous_Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 04:50   Link #83
rpapo

Where I am at right now, in the second chapter of book two, it would not appear so. Back when I was translating the beginning of book one, I attributed it to a comment I saw about much of the masculine parts of his personality having been split off into Banri's Ghost. Even now, Banri's Ghost definitely speaks with a more masculine (or at least young male) tone.

It could be that as he adapts to college life and gains friends, he is resolving the problems he was having at first.
Old 2012-08-13, 04:52   Link #84
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Wait can i ask for a spoiler?
Who does banri pick at the end of v2 and what happens to mitsuo
Old 2012-08-13, 05:00   Link #85
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen3dge View Post
Wait can i ask for a spoiler?
Who does banri pick at the end of v2 and what happens to mitsuo
Well, first of all, I haven't read that far. However far you see the translation over at Baka-Tsuki, it is unlikely that I have read more than 2-3 pages further at any given moment in time.

That said, though, I have the publisher's blurbs about volumes 3-5 to make guesses from. From those,
Spoiler:

It would also appear that in these books, time is moving very slowly. By volume 5 they have only reached summer vacation of their freshman year, so only 4-5 months have passed in all.

EDIT: I expect that in the next few months the Japanese manga for Golden Time will get further into the plot than I am in the translation of the light novel. I expect to be involved in the translation of that as well, at least in the proof-reading capacity I am in right now. Then we may find the manga providing guidance for me in the translation of the light novel. The manga has already provided me with a few corrections to the light novel translation as it is, simply by virtue of it being a graphic rendition of the story. Pictures don't need translation from Japanese . . .

Last edited by rpapo; 2012-08-15 at 10:32. Reason: Additional commentary.
Old 2012-08-19, 10:43   Link #86
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Since there it seems to be no manga thread, I'll point it out here.

Golden Time chapter 5 was scanlated. I don't remember the same scene to be that romantic in the novel (In the original felt that it was more about compassion and budding together in hard times; If it was changed, then I like it).

edit : It looks like 5 & 6 were released at the same time.

Last edited by Okashira; 2012-08-19 at 11:58.
Okashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 12:07   Link #87
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
Golden Time chapter 5 was scanlated. I don't remember the same scene to be that romantic in the novel (In the original felt that it was more about compassion and budding together in hard times; If it was changed, then I like it).
There are two things going on here: (1) I am not the best of translators (a mid-level amateur at best), so it is quite possible that I missed some of the nuances of the conversation, and (2) the manga is somewhat different from the book. Those differences have largely been in playing up the appearance and flirtatiousness of the girls . . . and in dropping almost everything related to Banri's Ghost.
Old 2012-08-31, 05:34   Link #88
rpapo

Well, I've just seen the raws for the manga chapter 12, and I have two comments: (1) it does indeed bring you to the end of the first light novel volume, and (2) the manga adaptation is slowly incorporatingi more of the details from the book. Though the manga adaptation skips entirely over the prologue scene, with Banri and the running club, chapter 12 of the manga does indeed refer back to that scene. Though I don't envy the mangaka's position: he had to draw the reader into the story quickly, while the light novel could take it's time doing so, since the reader had already committed to buying the whole volume. And the light novel definitely took it's time in gathering momentum.
Old 2012-09-02, 00:50   Link #89
csuree
The Most Hated™

well.. it is nice that the story does not progress too fast, as we know when you are in love every day is special so every day, every moment is important, so i am happy about the story not progressing too fast (5 volumes for 4-5 months) because it really gives you an insight about how their relationship is evolving slowly and steadily.

you might got out that Banri might be a cry-baby in the first volume....but think about it this way....he lost his memories a year prior... he has to recuperate like 18 years in 1 year, he has to go through every step of life in high speed, and many thing that he experiences as new might be also "hitting the heart" so to say and given that after the accident everybody has alienated from him cause of the personality change he might feel happy given the smallest little things.....

sometimes i also feel like this that something small is filling me with so much happiness....

The manga has great illustrations...it is what i imagined in my mind while reading....

i really love the story.....it is so heart warming

HUHU.. i just saw you are a honda crx owner....as a die-hard JDM fan i envy you a little, you have a nicely maintained car there, many many more accident-free miles and happy memories with and "in"<wink> IT.
I don't have a jdm yet, but working on the issue

Last edited by csuree; 2012-09-02 at 01:00.
csuree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 05:09   Link #90
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuree View Post
HUHU.. i just saw you are a honda crx owner....as a die-hard JDM fan i envy you a little, you have a nicely maintained car there, many many more accident-free miles and happy memories with and "in"<wink> IT.
I don't have a jdm yet, but working on the issue
Then I'll turn you a slightly deeper shade of green: we actually own two: a 1998 DX and a 1991 DX. Unfortunately, both have automatic transmissions. I am in the process of cleaning up and repainting the 1991 now (it will be bright blue metallic color). Both cars cost me only $800 apiece, but I have spent far more money than that getting them fully repaired.

Back on topic, though. Beyond the fact that I have the raw scans for chapters 7-12 now, and will receive the actual tankobon (paid for!) next month, my project is actually the light novel. Day by day, page by page. I am leaving the scanlation of the manga for others to do, though I will gladly proof-read it if they ask me to.
Old 2012-09-03, 05:26   Link #91
csuree
The Most Hated™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpapo View Post
Then I'll turn you a slightly deeper shade of green: we actually own two: a 1998 DX and a 1991 DX

Nope i did not turn green....i am actually happy. think the optimist way....You always have a back-up for your favorite car.....That is awesome.....

i will be a little sad if the manga passes the LN translation <i hope it will not bring you down>, but i will read it regardless of it....

gambare...
Old 2012-09-03, 05:32   Link #92
rpapo

Quote:
i will be a little sad if the manga passes the LN translation <i hope it will not bring you down>, but i will read it regardless of it....

gambare...
I cannot let it bother me, since there is no way short of a miracle that I will be able to get so good and so fast at translating, so quickly, that I would be able to prevent them from passing me up.
Old 2012-09-03, 10:28   Link #93
rpapo

Quote:
Nope i did not turn green....i am actually happy. think the optimist way....You always have a back-up for your favorite car.....That is awesome.....
Green is for envious in English. See http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rpapo/...2012_09_03.jpg.
Old 2012-09-16, 14:40   Link #94
csuree
The Most Hated™

wow...that blue is phenomenal.....it is one of my favorite shade of blue......

BTW i knew you said green for envy...usually i don't get envious of people having something that i don't have....life is different for every one of us and if we get envious of our neighbor, friend, etc. we lose focus of our own desires and dreams... i only get envious of ugly guys having super cute girlfriends... :P that is why i lost focus....getting myself a girl...i'm still single

uff.... i did not read GT for two weeks...i need to catch up

also my wish is a 2001 Lexus Is200 i hope in a year or two it will become reality...(i want to drift a bit)
now i own a red 2006 Dacia Logan :P
Old 2012-09-16, 15:47   Link #95
rpapo

Quote:
wow...that blue is phenomenal.....it is one of my favorite shade of blue......
The color is off the shelf: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=898494

I am using a three-layer finish: primer (2x,sanded each time), base color (3-4x), clear coat (6-7x). Then I have to wait several days before wet sanding and polishing. The result is getting better all the time, considering the first time I ever painted anything on a car I was over fifty years of age.

That 1991 CRX project is advancing slowly. I painted the driver side door yesterday.

Quote:
uff.... i did not read GT for two weeks...i need to catch up
You haven't missed too many pages, since I haven't progressed as much in the past two weeks as I usually might, between home matters and difficulties with some of the Japanese grammar.
Old 2012-09-18, 05:24   Link #96
csuree
The Most Hated™

i did not mind the quantity,

even that brought my spirits up....

Kaga was clearly jealous when Linda gave him the sneakers. Banri is a little thick headed if he did not realize...or he was obsessed about his questions about Linda....
Well he did find out that they were classmates and they were going out before the accident.
But i think he clings too much to his past and loses sight of the girl right beside him...

i love how detailed the story is....it focuses on every day, not like traditional stories that only write about the significant ones.
Old 2012-09-18, 05:40   Link #97
rpapo

Quote:
Kaga was clearly jealous when Linda gave him the sneakers.
Yes, but she doesn't want to admit it to herself yet, from what I can see.

Quote:
Banri is a little thick headed if he did not realize...or he was obsessed about his questions about Linda....
Well he did find out that they were classmates and they were going out before the accident.
But I think he clings too much to his past and loses sight of the girl right beside him...
There may be a bit of fixation on promises he may have made but doesn't remember. Japanese worry about their promises, or so we are told.

That said, though, he was sure drowning in her presence a few pages ago.

Quote:
I love how detailed the story is....it focuses on every day, not like traditional stories that only write about the significant ones.
Well, let's see: the story starts in early April, and it appears we are in May now. And we know that volume 5 occurs during summer vacation, which in Japan would be the month of August. Volume 1 covered several weeks, but skimmed over much of that. Volume 2, to all appearances, only covers 3-4 days.

But then again, Toradora covered exactly one year in ten volumes.
Old 2012-09-18, 06:29   Link #98
blade82

do you have some pictures of vol5 rpapo?
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 06:39   Link #99
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
do you have some pictures of vol5 rpapo?
Apart from the cover, not yet. Amazon JP shipped my copy last night, so I expect to have it by the weekend. The day I get it, I will scan the illustrations and covers and post them at B-T, as usual, unless somebody else beats me to it.
Old 2012-09-18, 06:43   Link #100
blade82

thanx and good luck with the grammar
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, dengeki bunko, love triangle, romance, school life, shounen