AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-08-08, 19:31   Link #181
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Are you guys talking about an iPad 4? The third generation iPad has been out for a while now.
Old 2012-08-08, 22:11   Link #182
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Are you guys talking about an iPad 4? The third generation iPad has been out for a while now.
It is the third generation iPad, but it isn't marketed as the iPad 3. The iPad 3 is suspected to be the fourth generation iPad. It is like the iPhone 4S was the next iPhone, but not marketed as the 'iPhone 5'.
Old 2012-08-08, 23:11   Link #183
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
It is the third generation iPad, but it isn't marketed as the iPad 3. The iPad 3 is suspected to be the fourth generation iPad. It is like the iPhone 4S was the next iPhone, but not marketed as the 'iPhone 5'.
I wouldn't expect it to be marketed with a number. At least with the iPads, it seems that Apple is trying to get away with the numbering system. Think about their other product lines: there's the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, iPod Nano, Airport Extreme, and so forth; none of them have numbers in the marketing. There are numbers in the product identifiers, but the average customer won't identify the product based on that. The iPhone and iPad were unique in that sense. Now that the product lines have arguably matured, Apple may be looking to remove excess identification.

Most Apple products are identified based on time of release ("late 2007") or generation (3rd generation).
Old 2012-08-09, 00:02   Link #184
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

How does iCloud work? Doesn't it allow you to stream content from a PC to your iPad? Could I take content from DVDs and Blu-rays and rip them to my PCs HDD and then watch them on an iPad with iCloud? Could I do the same with fansubs?
Old 2012-08-09, 02:34   Link #185
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Yes, that was a typo on my part.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 15:28   Link #186
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
How does iCloud work? Doesn't it allow you to stream content from a PC to your iPad? Could I take content from DVDs and Blu-rays and rip them to my PCs HDD and then watch them on an iPad with iCloud? Could I do the same with fansubs?
Not really. iCloud is a cloud storage system (similar to Dropbox and Skydrive), with the major difference being how it's integrated with the devices. While it can be used for pure online storage, the devices (iPhone, iPad, OS X, etc.) keep synchronized through iCloud. For example, in my past, I would have to synchronize my iPhone and iPad through my computer. Now, if I change something on one device (such as a contact's information, or a calendar entry), all devices are automatically updated to reflect the change if they're online. If they're offline, the changes are made when they come online.

You can stream from your computer to your iPad over a wifi network (which is what I do). Depending on the program you use, this can even be done over the internet.
Old 2012-08-09, 17:09   Link #187
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
You can stream from your computer to your iPad over a wifi network (which is what I do). Depending on the program you use, this can even be done over the internet.
And this is unrelated to iCloud? This sounds like something I'd use with an iPad. Does anyone have more info on this? Someone they can tell off the top of their heads or maybe they have a link to something on such programs?
Old 2012-08-09, 18:41   Link #188
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
And this is unrelated to iCloud?
Unrelated to iCloud. Again, the main purpose of iCloud at this point is to synchronize productivity applications and to create system configuration backups, and it's now being pushed more aggressively for synchronizing work documents. The amount of space you get by default (free) is 5 GB. It's very good for what it does.

Quote:
This sounds like something I'd use with an iPad. Does anyone have more info on this? Someone they can tell off the top of their heads or maybe they have a link to something on such programs?
Here's the one that I use: http://www.airplayit.com/

It's free, although at the moment support for subtitles seems to be broken. There are paid apps (usually $3-5 I believe) that carry out the same functions.
Old 2012-08-09, 19:00   Link #189
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Unrelated to iCloud. Again, the main purpose of iCloud at this point is to synchronize productivity applications and to create system configuration backups, and it's now being pushed more aggressively for synchronizing work documents. The amount of space you get by default (free) is 5 GB. It's very good for what it does.

Here's the one that I use: http://www.airplayit.com/

It's free, although at the moment support for subtitles seems to be broken. There are paid apps (usually $3-5 I believe) that carry out the same functions.
So normally support for subtitles works. It just had an update that broke the ability to play subtitles? Also, would you recommend any of the paid ones, or does the free one work just as well? Also, how would I get content from my PC to work wirelessly and transmit data to an iPad? Would a USB 2.0 wireless adapter do the job?
Old 2012-08-09, 19:24   Link #190
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
So normally support for subtitles works. It just had an update that broke the ability to play subtitles? Also, would you recommend any of the paid ones, or does the free one work just as well? Also, how would I get content from my PC to work wirelessly and transmit data to an iPad? Would a USB 2.0 wireless adapter do the job?
This is the only one I've used, so I don't know how the paid ones compare. You can read reviews on them from the iTunes Music Store; I had looked into two others, and I'm sure there are others.

Wireless transmission would require a wireless router. The iPad has wireless support built in (support for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, a/b/g/n). If your computer is plugged in to the router via ethernet it doesn't matter, as it's still on the network and the iPad would be able to find it.
Old 2012-08-09, 19:27   Link #191
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So I'm guessing you can watch fansubs this way. Do you think you could take content from DVDs and Blu-rays, put them on your PCs HDD, and then watch them on an iPad via these programs?
Old 2012-08-09, 19:29   Link #192
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
So I'm guessing you can watch fansubs this way. Do you think you could take content from DVDs and Blu-rays, put them on your PCs HDD, and then watch them on an iPad via these programs?
If you encode them, sure. That's how I've watched a number of my DVDs.
Old 2012-08-09, 19:36   Link #193
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

This is a solution to the lack of a micro SD card slot for me. And CR works if you pay $7 a month; a low fee. I guess I'll end up getting an iPad. The third generation one since the iPad 4 isn't supposed to hit for another six to nine months from now (Q1 or Q2 of next year).
Old 2012-08-09, 20:31   Link #194
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
This is a solution to the lack of a micro SD card slot for me. And CR works if you pay $7 a month; a low fee. I guess I'll end up getting an iPad. The third generation one since the iPad 4 isn't supposed to hit for another six to nine months from now (Q1 or Q2 of next year).
It's all a matter of your intended usage, and also working with the iPad's capabilities (and around its restrictions). I have a 16 GB iPad (3rd generation) and the space is sufficient for me, but I'm the type of person who tends to bring my computer everywhere anyway. I don't have music loaded onto it (music is on my iPhone), and while I have some select photos for showcasing, I haven't loaded my entire photo library. If I were going to travel somewhere I might load it up with some videos, but 16 GB is sufficient if I re-encode videos to have a smaller file size. You also don't leave videos on the device - watch it, remove it, and reload.

That's just a matter of working with the limitations.

If you're looking to leave your computer at home and/or won't have internet access, I could understand why greater internal storage would be desirable. If that's your type of scenario then I don't think that the iPad is a particularly good choice.

Otherwise, it's a pretty versatile little thing. If you ever get tired of the touch-screen keyboard you can pair up a Bluetooth keyboard and use that for text input. Mine was a gift and not an intended purchase, so I'm still trying to figure out the best ways to optimize it for my own usage. Since I have no qualms about lugging my computer everywhere the iPad tends to get overshadowed a bit. My tech-illiterate mother recently bought one for herself and it's pretty much completely replaced her computer, though.
Old 2012-08-09, 21:36   Link #195
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I have a question for the iPad owners here who bought their iPads. You think an iPad is worth getting if you think you'll use it a lot and you have the money to get one? They are pricey. That is why I ask.

@Ledgem: It seems like I would have uses for a tablet. I don't have any portable computers. No laptops and no ultra portables.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-08-09 at 21:53.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 23:07   Link #196
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
@Ledgem: It seems like I would have uses for a tablet. I don't have any portable computers. No laptops and no ultra portables.
I could see why you were looking at something like the Surface, then.

I don't really know how best to advise you without knowing more about your day-to-day usage and intended usage for the tablet. If you're just interested in having something for multimedia viewing and web browsing (but no flash games or things that would require a mouse), a tablet - any tablet - would probably be fine. I can't speak for Android, but I know that there are productivity apps on the iPad that would allow you to get some light work done (there are equivalents to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). The only potentially sticky issue is in transferring files easily between your iPad and your main computer, which will need to be done through web services (Dropbox, iCloud). It's not a huge issue, but I'm pretty sure you'll feel some frustration - at least initially - over not being able to just plug it in and mount it as a disk device.

The big question in my mind is whether you'd be better served by an Android-based tablet over an iPad. I don't really know anything about the Android devices other than that they're cheaper and seem largely functionally equivalent. There are two reasons why I would choose an iPad over an Android-based tablet, and these are both specific to me: 1) I already have a number of other Apple products, so the flawless synchronization between them is very appealing; and 2) I like the iOS ecosystem and the "walled garden" approach. It's a turn-off to a lot of people and I admit that I would have hated it years ago, but I no longer have the time to tinker and mess around with my systems. If it works flawlessly and doesn't take up my time to troubleshoot, I'm happy.

In your case, you're using a PC (I presume) and don't use an iPhone (I presume). You're not invested in any other iOS apps, and synchronizing with the iPad or an Android device would require configuration either way. In other words, they're both equal. I don't think that the iPad is any more capable than most Android tablets. Unless there's some killer application on iOS that isn't on Android, what does the iPad offer over most Android devices?

I mean, I can recommend the iPad, but I really don't know if it's worth the extra money over an Android tablet for someone who isn't using any other Apple products. If you decide to go with an iPad, consider going with the 32 GB version if you can afford it.

Either way, this conversation has been beneficial for me. I was inspired to look around, and found a few other productivity applications that make the iPad more useful. Tomorrow I'll leave my computer at home and will just take the iPad. I've seen many of my classmates doing that; I might as well try it out.
Old 2012-08-09, 23:47   Link #197
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I read an article of the best tablets available. The third generation iPad ranked number one. The Google Nexus ranked number two, but I really don't think I want that. Maximum of 16 GB, I don't know if I can wireless stream video from a PC to it, and the app store isn't as good with android. If I want something like that, I might get the rumored 'iPad mini' which will launch to compete with the Amazon Fire and Google Nexus. I gotta see how big the screen is on them.

Ranked number three in this article was the Asus Transformer Prime, and it costs the same as a 16 GB iPad. However, I read reviews and there were some negative reviews. People saying that tech support from Asus is poor and one guy said his unit bricked after a certain update and Asus support wasn't really helping him so he got a refund at Best Buy.

The Apple tablets are just the best, currently. The OS works the best and smoothest with iPads, the tech support should be good with Apple, the app store is the best with Apple, the quality is just top notch in every regard with Apple tablets. I'm currently thinking of getting an Apple tablet because if I'm going to invest in a tablet, I might as well get something that'll be good quality. I could spend $600 on an iPad and things will be great with it, or I could spend $400 on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab (ranked 4th in the article) or $500 on an Asus Transformer Prime and deal with an OS that isn't as good, have access to an app store that isn't as good, and in the advent of technical issues, deal with tech support that isn't good. Right now, with tablets, you get what you pay for.
Old 2012-08-10, 06:08   Link #198
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
I read an article of the best tablets available. The third generation iPad ranked number one. The Google Nexus ranked number two, but I really don't think I want that. Maximum of 16 GB, I don't know if I can wireless stream video from a PC to it, and the app store isn't as good with android. If I want something like that, I might get the rumored 'iPad mini' which will launch to compete with the Amazon Fire and Google Nexus. I gotta see how big the screen is on them.

Ranked number three in this article was the Asus Transformer Prime, and it costs the same as a 16 GB iPad. However, I read reviews and there were some negative reviews. People saying that tech support from Asus is poor and one guy said his unit bricked after a certain update and Asus support wasn't really helping him so he got a refund at Best Buy.

The Apple tablets are just the best, currently. The OS works the best and smoothest with iPads, the tech support should be good with Apple, the app store is the best with Apple, the quality is just top notch in every regard with Apple tablets. I'm currently thinking of getting an Apple tablet because if I'm going to invest in a tablet, I might as well get something that'll be good quality. I could spend $600 on an iPad and things will be great with it, or I could spend $400 on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab (ranked 4th in the article) or $500 on an Asus Transformer Prime and deal with an OS that isn't as good, have access to an app store that isn't as good, and in the advent of technical issues, deal with tech support that isn't good. Right now, with tablets, you get what you pay for.
The article you read is out of date if it doesn't bring up either the Asus Transformer Infinity or the Asus Transformer T300. If fact, the Galaxy tab is pretty far behind right now given its hardware and I would not recommend it. Lastly, the Prime is all but phased out at this point, having its place taken by the Infinity.

I will agree that Asus RMA is in fact not as good as Apple's. But I haven't had any real issues with Asus when I dropped my Prime and they repaired for free.

Why are you so much against the Android OS? For the everyday use, ICS/Jelly Bean has ironed out the majority of issues that Honeycomb had with sluggish handling and response time. The application store really isn't too different unless you're looking for a very specific App that most everyday users won't touch.

Here's the very basic run down of technical features at each price range

$500
New iPad - Best screen on the market, only 16 GB for base model. No MicroSD for expansion. 2048x1536 resolution
Infinity - Second best screen, 32GB Base model. Flash for the camera. MicroSD for more storage. 1920 x 1200 resolution

$379-400
iPad 2 - Basically a New iPad without the excellent screen and only 512MB RAM. God awful camera compared to any of the other 3 tablets listed here. 16GB base model. Can be found for $350 when on sale. 1024×768 resolution
T300 - Basically a gimped Infinity with an inferior display. 512MB More RAM than iPad 2. MicroSD 1280x800 resolution

You'll likely notice that the Android offerings have more features than the iPad, but that's more or less needed to draw customers away from Apple's tight foothold on the high end tablet market.

Last edited by problemedchild; 2012-08-10 at 06:22.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:14   Link #199
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'd just like to chime in with some thoughts on some of the features you listed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
$500
New iPad - Best screen on the market, only 16 GB for base model. No MicroSD for expansion. 2048x1536 resolution
Infinity - Second best screen, 32GB Base model. Flash for the camera. MicroSD for more storage. 1920 x 1200 resolution
It's true that the iPad lacks a camera flash, and I would not be surprised if the Infinity's camera were better overall. It's pretty awkward to use a tablet to take a photo of something, though, and that's doubly true when you have a nice case on it.

For example, my iPad's case has a cutout for the camera, but the case is like the covers to a book. Normally the front cover that protects the screen is folded behind the iPad when it use, but this blocks the camera. In order to use the camera, then, I need to hold that cover away from the back at least a little bit, but I can't put it back over the front because it would block the camera controls. So, on top of the awkwardness of holding such a large device to take a photo, I also need to hold out the front of the case.

Everyone has different uses and expectations, but the majority of cellphones have cameras now; I'd say to use that instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
$379-400
iPad 2 - Basically a New iPad without the excellent screen and only 512MB RAM. God awful camera compared to any of the other 3 tablets listed here. 16GB base model. Can be found for $350 when on sale. 1024×768 resolution
T300 - Basically a gimped Infinity with an inferior display. 512MB More RAM than iPad 2. MicroSD 1280x800 resolution
I've heard the arguments made that Android tablets are a better deal and/or more capable based on hardware specification comparisons. The counter-argument used to be that it didn't matter, because somehow Android was still slower and less responsive than iOS. Based on what you've written it sounds like Android may have caught up, but the point still stands that the hardware specs - at least, on Apple's side - aren't a critical factor. Newer hardware will always be faster, but the user experience and capabilities of the machine are the same. It only becomes an issue near the machine's end of life, when it's receiving some updates that put it to its absolute limits.

TL;DR: software is more important than hardware specifications when it comes to performance on tablets.
Old 2012-08-10, 18:24   Link #200
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
I'd just like to chime in with some thoughts on some of the features you listed:

It's true that the iPad lacks a camera flash, and I would not be surprised if the Infinity's camera were better overall. It's pretty awkward to use a tablet to take a photo of something, though, and that's doubly true when you have a nice case on it.

For example, my iPad's case has a cutout for the camera, but the case is like the covers to a book. Normally the front cover that protects the screen is folded behind the iPad when it use, but this blocks the camera. In order to use the camera, then, I need to hold that cover away from the back at least a little bit, but I can't put it back over the front because it would block the camera controls. So, on top of the awkwardness of holding such a large device to take a photo, I also need to hold out the front of the case.

Everyone has different uses and expectations, but the majority of cellphones have cameras now; I'd say to use that instead.
Ya, I think I've taken a grand total 5 pictures total with my tablets. It's just clunky to move around.