Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2020-10-18, 05:53   Link #101
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I don't remember much about the 3rd movie, since I saw it so long ago, but I do remember I enjoyed it. The changes were welcomed compared to what the original series had. I especially liked the new girl who was introduced. All in all, I felt it was great to change the direction of the story-line, so that the movies can be its own story instead of rehashing what was in the past.
My core problems with EVA 3 movie are that the story transition from EVA 2's ending is so jarringly sudden & clunky. It feels like I missed a movie in between which is especially made clear with how EVA 3 doesn't have any original scenes from the preview at the end of EVA 2. Also, the side-protags became such unreasonable (if not out of character) jerks to a post-comatose Shinji by not properly filling him in on the 3rd impact that he undeliberately caused and just guilt-tripping him all the time. And then Misato & co were puzzled why Shinji escaped from them and joined Kaworu who treated him decently? Gee, I wonder why? Maybe if you actually treated him like a human being, Shinji wouldn't run from you especially when he has the potential to destroy the world, again. Shinji is lame, but he's not a crazed lunatic. If Misato's crew treated Shinji decently, he wouldn't be motivated to do whatever he was about to do with Kaworu. The whole thing just feels forced.

I don't hate a new direction for the movie 3. But a much more natural narrative flow & less plot-dictated unreasonable characters would've done wonders (like in EVA 1 & 2 movies). Let's hope they do that for EVA 4.
Old 2020-10-18, 19:22   Link #102
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I have a suspicion 3+1 may ignore much have what happened in the prior film, just as Abrams did in the last Star Wars movie. Anno wrote himself into so many dead ends that I don't see how he can resolve all of them.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 16:01   Link #103
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Did that video say 23rd January 2021 is the date of the final movie?
Oh, hey - my birthday!
...Okay. I don't think I'm the only one in this forum who has carved a special part in his heart just for Evangelion. Regardless of the controversies, NGE is a classic and it's also one of the first animes I've ever followed from beginning to end and even bought the DVDs of.

So you can imagine how...dismayed I was with what Anno did for the Rebuild series. Never mind all the bluster he initially put out, boasting that "there is nothing more contemporary than Eva" or something along that line - if anything, I feel that he didn't really have anything NEW to say. Whereas the original series was in some aspects the accidental byproduct of his depressive period, Rebuild feels more like being administered the wrong medication, slipping into a case of delirium tremens and waking up naked in a bad neighborhood on your city's outskirts.

Rebuild feels like a marathoner that started strong and went down very familiar avenues, then quickly lost track of where he should be going...but that'd be assuming he had a destination in mind in the first place. If I were to be even less charitable, I'd simply accuse Anno of brazenly hijacking Evangelion and using it as a sacrificial lamb to install his new company, Studio Khara, as the rightful successor to GAINAX. The animation quality is certainly very good, but bloody hell, Anno...it seems like you reserved all your genius for your Godzilla stint and saved nothing for your own personal creation.

There were things here and there that hinted at something bigger and lore expansion - such as Kaoru's cryptic comments that could be interpreted as Rebuild being some sort of time loop/groundhog day/alternate universe where Shinji is supposed to make a different choice. What about the multiple Adams? The Key of Nebuchadnezzar? And what about those deceitful previews that make it sound like the script was scrapped and rewritten several times beyond recognition before the release dates? (assuming, of course, that these weren't just blatant misdirection and the staff having a laugh at our expense) Sure, color me intrigued. But three movies in, I have to toss those hopes into a flaming trashcan and clamp my nose to avoid inhaling the noxious fumes: the story is all over the place, it does not feel like they have a long-term plan of where the story should go (and they are therefore making things up as they go) and while 2.0 seemed to offer a big "oh, snap" departure for the norm that stoked our excitement for a quick follow-up, Anno took it as an excuse to run away with Eva and push the boundaries towards the absurd.

I mean...a levitating naval armada, really? Misato trying to be some sort of stoic spaceship captain from the 1970s/1980s? And now Evas using a Nimitz and a Queen Elizabeth as surf boards? Anno...lay off the meds. Please. For crying out loud. Eva doesn't need a makeover like this.

That said, I'll still watch the last movie, if only to see how this mess all ends. But I refuse to consider it the better Eva. If anything, I'll just stick to 1.11 and 2.22 and ignore the two sequels.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2020-10-24 at 16:15.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 22:39   Link #104
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-14, 06:41   Link #105
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Shocking, shocking, truly - the last Evangelion film (for now) has been delayed. What with the new SoE I guess it's not really surprising.
Old 2021-01-14, 07:40   Link #106
-G1-

I pray to God this is truly the last one. I love Evangelion, but I feel the series becomes less and less respected the more Gainax tries to milk it. Interesting video in relation to this: Can You Live Entirely Off of Evangelion Merchandise?

I also will need to rewatch all of these since I remember nothing since they first came out. I was 16 back then. It's been a long, LONG time.
-G1- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-14, 08:09   Link #107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Gainax at this point has nothing to do with the franchise. Khara isn't even using them for production assistance.
Old 2021-03-03, 06:20   Link #108
SidVicious
Anime addict

Final Evangelion Film to Stream 1st 12 Minutes on Sunday

The official Twitter account for the Evangelion franchise announced on Wednesday that the "first 12 minutes, 10 seconds, and 10 frames" of Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time (Shin Evangelion Gekijō-ban :||), the "final" Evangelion film, will stream on the YouTube channels of Amazon Prime Video and the Studio Khara on Sunday.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...sunday/.170178
Old 2021-03-08, 09:29   Link #109
Ichinotachi

Just as a warning for everyone, the entire movie was already leaked and no, it is not an /a/ leak, this comes from japan with actual evidence of it. The sad part are not even the leaks, is the fact that they're true.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 15:45   Link #110
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

This sure brings back memories. When I first joined this site, everybody was commenting on the 3.0 movie.
Old 2021-03-08, 18:00   Link #111
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Grognards on 4chan: seething and coping. "Worst movie ever. I dub it non-canon."

French fans:

Spoiler:
Old 2021-03-09, 03:25   Link #112
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post
Just as a warning for everyone, the entire movie was already leaked and no, it is not an /a/ leak, this comes from japan with actual evidence of it. The sad part are not even the leaks, is the fact that they're true.
So basically, even third time around, they couldn't stick the landing?
Old 2021-03-09, 05:25   Link #113
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

*Sigh* Anno upgraded from antidepressants to Tide Pod.

Though this time and judging by certain viewers' comments, it almost sounds as if Anno is deliberately trying to hammer the final nail into Eva and exhorting the fans to move on and stop clinging onto it.

Jesus, Anno, you were doing quite well until the latter half of 2.0...you'd have been better off animating Eva: ANIMA instead.
Old 2021-03-09, 06:15   Link #114
LG-MAX 2.o

Final Evangelion Film's 1st Day Sells Over 530,000 Tickets for Over 800 Million Yen: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...on-yen/.170411
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-09, 10:59   Link #115
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Most watcher seem happy how it end, ofc there are people who going to complain regardless. But as far as final movie goes, It actually pretty good in closing down the story.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-09, 14:46   Link #116
Dextro
He Without a Title

TBF I was more intrigued by the direction that the movies took after 2.0 than anything else so I'll reserve judgement until I can watch the final movie. I have no idea where Anno was going with this anyway.
Old 2021-03-09, 14:52   Link #117
Robotech Master

Everything I've read from people sharing their thoughts/reviews after seeing it in Japan has been pretty satisfying.
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-10, 09:30   Link #118
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Most of those unhappy with the final movie are grognards who disliked Rebuild from the start anyway, and consider those who liked those movies as subhumans with poor taste. They are found in 4chan and twitter.
Old 2021-03-10, 22:55   Link #119
Ichinotachi

Quote:
The people that are angry at how this ended are basically the usual cancerous shipping fans that cannot separate the story from their favourite girl, those are the ones complaining the most not only in the west but in Japan too.

The ending was pretty decent for what it is, there are many things that were left without any answer or explanation but at least Anno gave everyone a way to move forward by breaking the cycle once and for all.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-11, 00:54   Link #120
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Hideaki Anno : I am like 60 year old now why I must give shit to Otaku taste? I am going to make movie what I wanted and nobody can stop me.

Hideaki Anno = the most based man in 21th century
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote