4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.96%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-12, 13:56   Link #161
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

The series is going to do three arcs, however each arc is progressively longer in terms of source material. First arc was 1 volume, second arc was 2 volumes, third arc is 6 volumes.

Last edited by Proto; 2016-07-12 at 14:30.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 14:24   Link #162
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
Alternate world stories tend to feature protagonists who are surprisingly fast learners, but it is not particularly uncommon for the story to address the what the protagonist needs to learn. A particularly well-known example is Twelve Kingdoms.

Insofar as illustrating "what really happens when someone is dropped in a place they don't know their left from right", I am skeptical that Re: Zero is that well-suited of a vehicle. There are 2 issues, both related to Subaru's powers.

The first is that Subaru undergoes significant mental strains from his resets. Much of his problems are from the fact that he loses the relationships he built before when he dies, and he still carries the burden of the experience of death and what occurred before. This is a necessary plot device if the author were to show the bad ends, and the impact of the resets should be addressed, but it sets Subaru far apart from a normal alternate world story.

This was why in the previous episode's discussion, many users prefer to consider Re: Zero a look at the Groundhog's Day plot rather than the alternate world plot.

For an example of a story that only looks at a protagonist who is thrown into a world he does not understand and the consequences, Now and Then, Here and There is a better example.

The second is that Subaru's powers leaves him with increasingly prominent marks that he has the blessings of the world's devil equivalent. If a supernatural being blesses the protagonist in any visible manner at all in most alternate world stories, it is the world's benevolent entity. We have already seen reactions to this mark from others around Subaru. This is a handicap that is not an inherent in a realistic examination of alternate world stories. Nor is it incidental: We have seen significant reactions to this mark in both arc 2 and arc 3.
It's common course for isekai fantasies to make things go the MCs way regardless of what they'll have to learn, but the thing about Re:ZERO is Subaru barely learns anything. The Witch's Curse is also the examination of how a summons from a supernatural being isn't necessarily a good thing when it usually is. And calling it a look at a Groundhog's Day plot is undercut when Steins;Gate, ERASED, and Madoka Magica abide by similar concepts and delving into the after effects therein. A plot device more than a narrative element, else classifying them as sci-fi, drama-thriller, and magical girl becomes egregious. Context also matters, since the implications for being sent to a high fantasy world aren't the same as a post-Apocalyptic dystopia, and people calling it an examination of the isekai story more than other genres are justified in thinking so
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 15:40   Link #163
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Am I the only one who finds this tendency for the "Truly insane" in anime to do all kinds of inhuman contortions very peculiar and/or interesting?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 15:55   Link #164
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Am I the only one who finds this tendency for the "Truly insane" in anime to do all kinds of inhuman contortions very peculiar and/or interesting?
Can you be more clear? Do you mean you like insane anime or that you hate them but find them interesting? Or are you referring to insane people in anime?

Personally "insanity" is fairly boring, be it people or plot, since it just means there's no rules to follow, a license to defy common sense. Too convenient, so doesn't move me.
Old 2016-07-12, 16:58   Link #165
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
It's common course for isekai fantasies to make things go the MCs way regardless of what they'll have to learn, but the thing about Re:ZERO is Subaru barely learns anything. The Witch's Curse is also the examination of how a summons from a supernatural being isn't necessarily a good thing when it usually is. And calling it a look at a Groundhog's Day plot is undercut when Steins;Gate, ERASED, and Madoka Magica abide by similar concepts and delving into the after effects therein. A plot device more than a narrative element, else classifying them as sci-fi, drama-thriller, and magical girl becomes egregious. Context also matters, since the implications for being sent to a high fantasy world aren't the same as a post-Apocalyptic dystopia, and people calling it an examination of the isekai story more than other genres are justified in thinking so
I respectfully disagree. The reason Subaru was able to solve the situations he was is because he did learn a lot and I don't mean just learning about the source of the problems he faces either. The knowledge he gains about characters thenselves, the lore, the customs, language, aspects like magic etc, even the bits he gradually learns a about Return by Death contributed to it slowly broadening his character while simultaneously making certain flaws more apparent. He's put all things into practice at one time or another.

And honestly whether things will eventually go his way is irrelvant. The point is whether he's actaully earn things to go his way or not. In 90% of fiction we know the hero/protaginst win out against adversity in the long run, but as with anything worth it's salt the devil is always in details. The issue with most people have with Isekai stories is more often than not work simply exist fellatio the MC rather than challenge him and his ideals, eventually forcing a change in character. So one of the things that make Re:Zero is more refreshing is that he isn't just allowed to get away with anything because he is protagisnt.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-12 at 17:21.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 17:37   Link #166
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Can you be more clear? Do you mean you like insane anime or that you hate them but find them interesting? Or are you referring to insane people in anime?

Personally "insanity" is fairly boring, be it people or plot, since it just means there's no rules to follow, a license to defy common sense. Too convenient, so doesn't move me.
No I mean, insane people in anime tend to make all kinds of weird contortions like this Beetlejuice character.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 20:28   Link #167
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
No I mean, insane people in anime tend to make all kinds of weird contortions like this Beetlejuice character.
This is usually because the average viewer wont pick up on crazy unless it's over acted
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 22:00   Link #168
DemonneoPT

I think Betelgeuse is hilarious. He is fun to watch but at the same time a very scary fellow. And the voice acting is just godlike! I like seeing this type of characters as villains in fantasy worlds. He kinda reminds me of Caster from Fate/Zero.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 22:43   Link #169
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
I think Betelgeuse is hilarious. He is fun to watch but at the same time a very scary fellow. And the voice acting is just godlike! I like seeing this type of characters as villains in fantasy worlds. He kinda reminds me of Caster from Fate/Zero.
Agreed. Villainous characters like Betelgeuse are good theatrical fun. The fact he manages to be genuinely menacing through all the silliness is what puts him over-the-top and makes him an excellent villain.

Plus, as crazy and random as he seems, he is acting with a general goal in mind. He is working in support of the Witch and her cult. So while he certainly seems crazy, there is a method to his madness. This gives his character some depth, in my opinion.
Old 2016-07-12, 23:27   Link #170
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

F@$* you, Betelgeuse. My kokoro is brokoro.

That is all.
Old 2016-07-13, 11:30   Link #171
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post
That's what I'm hoping. The most annoying portions of the show is him dealing with his internal strife and agony. Lashing out at Rem when she's just about to kill Subaru is one thing but brooding over his argument with Emilia and death's everyone's death is just gets old time and again.

I seriously hope he puts his foot down and mans up to what he needs to do.
You are aware than his "blood knight" mode is just another form of brokeness and it will get either mended or replaced by some other character flaw, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarforcex View Post
I believe Ram is way closer to barusu... but i guess nobody cares about non daring moe girl¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ram best girl
I agree, that Ram is best girl, that said even though Rem doesn't have such endearing character she make up for it by pure dedication, I think she is one that should end with Subaru and get happy end (I will take Ram for myself in meantime)
Old 2016-07-13, 13:10   Link #172
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
You are aware than his "blood knight" mode is just another form of brokeness and it will get either mended or replaced by some other character flaw, right?
I don't recall him brooding those about two things for that long anyway since things kept happening in the interim. Especially about everyone's deaths. He just found out about this horrific tragedy at the end of the last episode he was barely able to process what just happened. People have broken and angsted for less.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 23:49   Link #173
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So, I just watched the episode and……it’s......pretty cool. And the end credits reminds me of Tarantino movies (which itself is homage of old western movies). And Puck’s still the best :
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-07-14, 13:38   Link #174
SeaDoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Images
FTW!
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 05:14   Link #175
larethian

Spoilers
Spoiler for radio 16 post-live
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 20:09   Link #176
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Does anyone have foot fetish? I don't but... the preview for the next episode indicates that your fetish might come to fruition.

https://youtu.be/WyZx3DF8NU8?t=38s
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 21:35   Link #177
Cicili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Does anyone have foot fetish? I don't but... the preview for the next episode indicates that your fetish might come to fruition.

https://youtu.be/WyZx3DF8NU8?t=38s
Priscilla understands her target audience. This is fanservice.
Cicili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 13:55   Link #178
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I've just marathoned the series and I'm mindblown. I like the way it makes so many transitions from comedy to tragedy. It's like they try something gore, and every time there is another violent scene, it tops the previous gore scene. Episode 15's ending was incredibly violent.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 21:33   Link #179
snkpro386

I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting so late, as I only just recently started watching Re:Zero. Never read the source, never read the manga, it's my first time in this setting.

Let me put out a warning for those like me who haven't watched this show yet: you are not prepared.

"Heh heh! How cute! You reprinted a quote from World of Warcraft to express your feelings in a clever memetic fashion!"

No friend, you are not ready for episode 15. You cannot possibly be prepared for what is in store here. I wasn't.

My mind is devastated. Not since Hunter X Hunter has a new anime done this to me. Nagatsuki and White Fox must be watching my despair right this moment, laughing like jackals at my misery over watching mere cartoony caricatures torture me in such a way.

I cannot wait for the next episode. What has this show done to me?
snkpro386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 09:27   Link #180
The One Above God
Kamijou

^I don't think any of the anime only fans were ever prepared .

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote