AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-09-26, 22:42   Link #1
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Protagonist with a set time left to live/Race against time

So after reading recent chapters of Coppelion it turns out that:
Spoiler for Coppelion spoilers if you care:

So because of this I've grown an interest in seeing a story that's mostly focused on this aspect. The main protagonist discovers he/she has a accelerated limited time left before he/she dies but wants to make the most out of accomplishing his/her goals or living their lives even more to the fullest before the end. I assume this kind of story you'd see in some slice-of-life, drama, tragedy series or mixed in too. Kowarekake no Orgel fits the bill perfectly. The only other close examples I can think of were Black Bullet (in Enju's case, not much time left before she mutates into a Gastrea) and Fullmetal Alchemist (Alphonse's temporary container could've rejected him at any time). Just remember I'm interested in seeing something focused on impending death that's so much closer than you think as the main point from beginning to end, not a subplot that shows up much, much later.

Other than that, here are some restriction and special notes:
  • 1 to 2-cour series please. Movies are fine though.
  • Not a yaoi or yuri fan so please don't post any here.
  • Doesn't have to be slice-of-life as the main genre. Just not into magical Fantasy nowadays, but very into Action, Sci-Fi and Adventure. It could vary I suppose.
  • You can recommend manga(length doesn't matter) but I'll only read it if it's been localized in English(though don't let that stop you from posting it in case it does in the future, same with anime too).
  • Nothing with lots and lots of intense NSFW sexual material and fanservice.

Thanks in advance!
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 23:05   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Have to be anime? Are you a manga or novel reader too?
Old 2014-09-26, 23:15   Link #3
jedinat

Full Moon o Sagashite
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-27, 05:19   Link #4
yetimati

Kakumeiki Valvrave, a mecha anime in which the main protag find out that normal method couldnt kill him. But in the end figure out that he actually has a set time to live. Its completed, the art is awesome by the way.
yetimati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-27, 08:22   Link #5
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Have to be anime? Are you a manga or novel reader too?
Sure, I'm flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Just read the premise. Really interesting. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetimati View Post
Kakumeiki Valvrave, a mecha anime in which the main protag find out that normal method couldnt kill him. But in the end figure out that he actually has a set time to live. Its completed, the art is awesome by the way.
I saw the first episode a while back but couldn't really get into it for some reason. Thanks anyway!
Old 2014-09-27, 09:13   Link #6
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Manga I think would be a great fit: Ikigami

Each chapter focuses on a character that learns (s)he has 24 hours left to live, there is also an overall plot involving the protagonist of the manga but for most of the manga he's in the backround
Old 2014-09-27, 13:47   Link #7
Tenzen12

Shin Angyo Onshi (manga) (manga/one movie without conclusion)- main protagonist has curse/that killing him and have to find and kill person that murderred his best friend.

Fate Zero (anime/novels) - spoiler: Iris as vessel of holly grail get weaker as grail war progress and ultimately is to be sacrificed to summon it.

Macross Frontier (anime) - space bug monsters can be calmed by singing from people who are infected by certain substance. Sherryl Nome give up on her cure to make her song more powerful.
Old 2014-09-27, 14:49   Link #8
kitten320

Air, main heroine is deadly ill.

Not exactly same thing but in these series characters try to make the most of it because they are either cursed or have people after their heads:

Akuma no Riddle - not the best series but Haru has bunch of assassins wanting her dead.

Seirei No Morbito - young prince is wanted dead by his father and eventually gets revealed that he has limited time for other reasons.

Angel Beats! - backwards, characters are already dead so they are trying to make the most of it, making up for everything they couldn't do while alive before being sent to heaven.

Hakuouki - has a character that is ill with tuberculosis and refuses to die in bed.
Old 2014-09-28, 05:38   Link #9
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Since this one isn't obvious from the premise under spoiler tag
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-28, 13:03   Link #10
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Manga I think would be a great fit: Ikigami

Each chapter focuses on a character that learns (s)he has 24 hours left to live, there is also an overall plot involving the protagonist of the manga but for most of the manga he's in the backround
This sounds even cooler that multiple MCs are involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Shin Angyo Onshi (manga) (manga/one movie without conclusion)- main protagonist has curse/that killing him and have to find and kill person that murderred his best friend.

Fate Zero (anime/novels) - spoiler: Iris as vessel of holly grail get weaker as grail war progress and ultimately is to be sacrificed to summon it.

Macross Frontier (anime) - space bug monsters can be calmed by singing from people who are infected by certain substance. Sherryl Nome give up on her cure to make her song more powerful.
Seen Fate/Zero but didn't consider it since that was revealed later. Will look into the others though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Air, main heroine is deadly ill.

Not exactly same thing but in these series characters try to make the most of it because they are either cursed or have people after their heads:

Akuma no Riddle - not the best series but Haru has bunch of assassins wanting her dead.

Seirei No Morbito - young prince is wanted dead by his father and eventually gets revealed that he has limited time for other reasons.

Angel Beats! - backwards, characters are already dead so they are trying to make the most of it, making up for everything they couldn't do while alive before being sent to heaven.

Hakuouki - has a character that is ill with tuberculosis and refuses to die in bed.
Seen Angel Beats and loved it. The others look pretty interesting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Since this one isn't obvious from the premise under spoiler tag
Been meaning to see this.

Thanks guys!
Old 2014-09-28, 16:50   Link #11
AntonKutovoi

This season's Zankyou no Terror pretty much fits your criteria.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 09:37   Link #12
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

How's about Chrono Crusade? Like fairly old, but it first come to mind based on your request
Old 2014-09-29, 21:10   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Moshidora has an important secondary character that is bedridden with the usual unknown and incurable anime disease.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote