AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-01-23, 00:49   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 969 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay, brief summary's out! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Baka Tono" (something like "stupid feudal lord"). In the ministory, Gotti gets taken out by the marines.

-As Oden swings his blade at Orochi, his slash is suddenly blocked! As it turns out, the one protecting the shogun is one of his co-conspirators, the old man, whose name is revealed to be Kurozumi Semimaru! The old man possesses the powers of the Bari Bari no Mi, aka Bartolomeo's future barrier ability! The old lady, whose identity is revealed as Kurozumi Higurashi, also appears to gloat at Oden. Naturally, Oden wants Orochi to give up his position as shogun, but the latter refuses. He reveals that Higurashi fooled the nation by taking the guise of Sukiyaki, and with the two elders plus Kaido backing him up, Orochi is virtually untouchable. Oden demands to know if Higurashi's ability means that the news of Sukiyaki's death was a lie, but Orochi's response to that question is hidden from us readers. However, it seems the kunoichi Shinobu knows the truth....

-Upon exiting the shogun's estate, Oden pulls an odd stunt: [i]he goes around town dancing half-naked for money! All of the villagers who once revered the daimyo are flabbergasted by his actions, but he offers no explanation to anyone, not even his closest family and retainers. Gradually, most of the populace lose faith in him, referring to him as a foolish lord. A year later, the shogun personally delivers some sad news to Oden: Gol D. Roger has died. The samurai grieves his friend's passing, though he also laughs at the same time. After another year passes, another big event takes place: The Gecko pirates square off against the Hundred Beast pirates in the Ringo province! During Moria's time in Wano, he steals the corpse of Ryuma, along with his blade, Shuusui. However, Oden merely continues to humiliate himself for pocket change as this goes on.

-Another three years go by, in which one day Orochi personally visits Kuri. Upon his arrival, Oden hints at some sort of deal he made with Orochi concerning some boats and Kaidou, but the shogun doesn't acknowledge this. He then delivers some more mortifying news to the samurai: As the yakuza boss Hyougoro the Flower continued to defy him, he not only had him sent to prison, but had his wife and SIXTEEN of his men executed!!! This is the final straw for Oden: He decides to gather together all Nine Red Scabbards in order to go put a stop to Orochi and Kaidou's tyranny once and for all....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-01-28 at 17:48.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-23, 01:02   Link #2
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Huh, that old guy having the barrier DF was a bit of a surprise, IMO. I actually find it pretty interesting to see more past users of previously-established DF abilities, though. And man, poor Oden and Hyou.... both their families really suffered under Orochi's regime. Still, Moria is definitely the chapter's highlight for me.... yes, I know his battle against Kaidou is practically ancient history at this point (we've known since Thriller Bark, after all), but I'm just glad to actually see it acknowledged, you know? I also feel this gives more credence to Moria returning to Wano in the present to get his revenge against Kaidou, despite his recent run-in with Blackbeard. Maybe he'll take up the emperor's offer and join him, after all....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-23, 08:05   Link #3
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Oden juts gave up? Whatt about just waiting there until the very old man couldn't stay awake anymore?
Sounds weird.
And what about King's Haki? He had that iirc correctly.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-23, 12:21   Link #4
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Maybe he'll take up the emperor's offer and join him, after all....?
It's not like Moria really has a choice. With or without his cooperation, Blackbeard will make use of his DF abilities. If Moria wants to live, he has to swallow his pride and team up with him.
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-23, 12:23   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Oden juts gave up? Whatt about just waiting there until the very old man couldn't stay awake anymore?
Sounds weird.
And what about King's Haki? He had that iirc correctly.
The entire thing is really weird. We must be missing some details. Why would Oden give up on killing Orochi for five years and let himself be humiliated just because of one old man with a troublesome ability? That makes no sense, there has to be another reason.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 16:13   Link #6
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The entire thing is really weird. We must be missing some details. Why would Oden give up on killing Orochi for five years and let himself be humiliated just because of one old man with a troublesome ability? That makes no sense, there has to be another reason.
There is a reason for it, but only Shinobu knows.

Chapter has been translated.

By hiding the reason for his behaviour and making it last 5 years, I couldn't form a personal connection to Oden.

In fact, the flashback made it worse for me to sympathise with the war in Wano.
I don't see how any of this flashback justifies risking the lives of so many people.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 17:41   Link #7
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yeah, the reasons for Oden suddenly kissing Orochi's ass were deliberately kept vague from us readers.... the only hint we've got so far was Oden asking the shogun about Kaidou and a "boat", if the translation I read is correct (still gonna wait for the official TL before updating the summary, though). Still, it is odd that such a free spirit as him would stoop to such lows as dancing half-naked as a "job"....

Anyway, reservations about Oden aside, that last spread of the Scabbards marching out in the sunset was pretty badass, IMO. I guess the flashback will be wrapped up in the next chapter or two before we finally return to the present....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 18:29   Link #8
Theia_Loki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
It's not like Moria really has a choice. With or without his cooperation, Blackbeard will make use of his DF abilities. If Moria wants to live, he has to swallow his pride and team up with him.
But nothing's stopping Moria from turning on him later and possibly joining forces with Luffy instead. Besides, both of them want Kaido and Blackbeard dead and Moria at least knows that Luffy only caused him hell because he attacked him. And speaking of which, Moria's DF (Kage Kage no Mi) would prove tremendously invaluable in ensuring that Kaido stays dead for good... provided they can steal his shadow and keep him permanently exposed to the sun. Even then, that would still leave whatever remains of the Big Baddie (literally) team-up of the Beasts Pirates and those of Orochi's and Big Mom's forces by the time they'd get to that point.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 19:39   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
But nothing's stopping Moria from turning on him later and possibly joining forces with Luffy instead. Besides, both of them want Kaido and Blackbeard dead and Moria at least knows that Luffy only caused him hell because he attacked him. And speaking of which, Moria's DF (Kage Kage no Mi) would prove tremendously invaluable in ensuring that Kaido stays dead for good... provided they can steal his shadow and keep him permanently exposed to the sun. Even then, that would still leave whatever remains of the Big Baddie (literally) team-up of the Beasts Pirates and those of Orochi's and Big Mom's forces by the time they'd get to that point.
Moria will most likely become an ally of Luffy's later on. But he has to play his cards right and wait for the right opportunity. It's not easy to betray an emperor just like that, otherwise Kuzan would have done so already.
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 19:45   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
So there is a reason, we just weren't told what it is, nor were any of the characters. I'm impressed the Scabbards and his family stuck by his side for five years, really shows how much they trusted and admired him. Same for Yasuie and old Hyo. Now, I just hope this reason is really damn good. This will make or break this chapter.

Now that the flashback is close to an end, I can say it. The weirdest part to me is Toki. When she was introduced as someone who once lived in a era before the Void century, I thought we were about to learn a lot of things, but when she brought it up people made fun of her and the case was closed. Since then she's been nothing more than Oden's wife and the woman who sent Momo and his retainers to the future. Her own history is being ignored. It makes me think that maybe she survived and she'll show up in the present.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 23:31   Link #11
Theia_Loki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Moria will most likely become an ally of Luffy's later on. But he has to play his cards right and wait for the right opportunity. It's not easy to betray an emperor just like that, otherwise Kuzan would have done so already.
I agree. Betraying an Emperor without suffering so badly isn't easy considering what Luffy and Bege went through with the attempted assassination turned raid on Big Mom's holdings in Tottoland. Pragmatically, swallowing your pride and accepting an allegiance with Blackbeard is in Moria's best interests in the long term, but I've got the sinking feeling that he'll end up staying in BB's service for good. Losing nearly his entire crew the first time around facing someone like Kaido left him as the man he was when Luffy's crew encountered him, and considering how Moria first reacted when he thought Absalom was alive and well implies that the two had mutual respect. Here's hoping that Perona turning up and reuniting with him safe and sound would solidify any decision to side with Luffy.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 03:31   Link #12
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So there is a reason, we just weren't told what it is, nor were any of the characters. I'm impressed the Scabbards and his family stuck by his side for five years, really shows how much they trusted and admired him. Same for Yasuie and old Hyo. Now, I just hope this reason is really damn good. This will make or break this chapter.
I sorta have at least one idea why Oden held off on his rebellion against Orochi for so long.... Notice we didn't see the shogun directly answer him when asked whether or not Sukiyaki really died from illness. It's easy for us to think that Orochi had already murdered his predecessor, but.... what if he didn't? Maybe Orochi deliberately kept Sukiyaki alive and held him hostage as leverage against Oden for this exact situation. Like maybe he's being held in that prison in Udon or something. That seems a good enough way to grab Oden by the balls, if you ask me.

As far as Toki goes, while I also find it odd that Oda hasn't explored her character any further so far, I think it's also possible he's holding off on her background for a later point in the story, such as Joy Boy's flashback, for instance. Whether or not she's still alive in the present, I can't really say..... though I don't think she's Hiyori (her childhood memories with Kawamatsu pretty much disprove that, after all). For all we know, Toki could have warped even further to the future.....

BTW, I missed this earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Oden juts gave up? Whatt about just waiting there until the very old man couldn't stay awake anymore?
Sounds weird.
And what about King's Haki? He had that iirc correctly.
Even if Oden waited for the old man to let his guard down, there's zero guarantee he'd still be able to touch Orochi.... not while Kaidou is around. Actually, even if we put aside Kaidou, enemies like the Oniwabanshu could have been hiding nearby to stop him, as well (I doubt Shinobu was the only ninja lurking nearby). I have a feeling Orochi (or at least the two geezers backing him) have prepared a fair share of contingencies in case of any potential threats....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 17:45   Link #13
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
More tie ins in this chapter. Maybe next chapter Oden loses and gets executed as mentioned in the previous chapters.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 07:09   Link #14
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 28
Did Oda just create another worse villain than Doflamingo?

Orochi is literally one of the worst because he is just a big coward and Kaido's doll
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 13:19   Link #15
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I don't think Orochi is that bad.

The cruelest thing so far was the test-feeding of smiles and shooting Yasui.
He still has a long way to go to match Doffy.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2020-01-28 at 10:21.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-29, 10:07   Link #16
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
^I definitely agree that Dofla is one grade-A scumbag tyrant (he IS a former Celestial Dragon after all), but I honestly feel Orochi's not far behind him. Let's not forget that he wanted to kill a little girl just for laughing at him, even going as far as to send Killer to assassinate her. And this was A) Despite the fact that he was fully aware of the SMILE's side effects (Toko couldn't control her laughter even if she wanted to), and B) Prior to him finding out that she was Yasu's daughter. So he otherwise wanted to execute an innocent little girl over an involuntary action that he helped spread in the first place. If that doesn't count as cruelty of the highest caliber, I dunno what does....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-29, 12:44   Link #17
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
As far as we know Orochi was never told that O-Toko ate a smile fruit. At least not in the translation I read for chapter 932.

And ordering someone to kill who laughed at you is just your normal manga-villain behaviour.
Captain Morgan was ordering the killing of a little girl over a trivial thing too.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.