AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-02-18, 12:00   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 972 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Early spoiler time, guys! Credit goes to Redon and the rest at AP for the info:

-Chapter title is "I am Oden! I was born to boil!" Splash is a color page.

-The Oniwabanshu leader Fukurokuju stops Shinobu in the middle of her speech, but it's too late. As word spreads of the true reason behind Oden's behavior over the past five years, the people's opinion of him begin to change. Furthermore, the samurai has some words of his own to add: If he can endure the boiling execution, he wishes to open the country's borders to the world. In the past, the Kouzuki family kept Wano isolated from the world in order to protect it from a "certain power". However, Wano.... in fact, the whole world, is awaiting the appearance of a "certain someone". When that "someone" appears in 800 years' time, it is Wano's duty to welcome that person and lend them all the assistance they can....!!!

-However, Oden is certain that he will die this day, so he asks the people to fulfill this duty in his stead. As the samurai continues to endure his punishment, the people start cheering him on.... as he finally makes it to the one-hour deadline! However, Orochi spoils the mood: He abruptly announces that the execution will now be changed to a firing squad, and the targets will be the ENTIRE Kouzuki clan!! At this point, Oden uses his remaining strength to throw the Scabbards out of the pot, telling them to escape and never look back! He only wishes for them to help fulfill his dream of opening Wano's borders to the world. Kaidou then steps up to Oden, telling him that, as a last act of compassion, he will personally finish off the samurai, as he points a gun at him. Oden tells him that it's fine if he's forgotten, as his soul will live on. Kaidou also apologizes about the "old lady" (Kurozumi Higurashi), saying that he killed her as punishment for interfering with their earlier duel. Oden then tells him that he hopes he does his best to become stronger..... and begins reciting his last words. However, mid-speech, he receives the fatal shot from Kaidou, so the populace finish his sentence in his stead. The curtain finally closes on Kouzuki Oden, as he flashes one final smile while submerged in the hellishly hot oil.....

-Toki receives Oden's obituary, as well as his swords, which he delivered to her while he was imprisoned. She then reads a letter that her late husband left behind, explaining that if he couldn't defeat Kaidou, then most likely nobody at this time can defeat him, as Oden fought him at peak strength. He further explains that in twenty years' time, the world will most likely experience a "great war" that will split the seas apart. During that time, the "main character" of that war will rise up and topple Kaidou once and for all. When that time comes, Wano will undergo a very long winter. He wishes for Toki to use her power in case that time comes, but halfway through the letter, she tears it apart! She then tells her late husband that she's not his weakness, and to look forward 20 years into the future! Next chapter, the story finally returns to the present time....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-02-25 at 17:10.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-18, 18:16   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The way you worded it made it sound confusing. "That person", obviously Joy Boy, will return after 800 years, which will be in twenty years. I can't say I'm too fond of this whole prophecy and "chosen one" business...

Also really weird for the flashback to end there, makes me think there'll be another flashback from Toki's point of view explaining why she didn't send Hiyori into the future and of course her whole backstory (she probably knew the original Joy Boy).

And the old lady Kaido is talk about is Orochi's great grandma. He was probably pissed off she ruined their fight. That redeems him a bit.
Old 2020-02-18, 18:28   Link #3
Hakai

Flashback justified Oden's hype. Though my favorite parts about the flashback was Whitebeard and Roger(and their crew).

But I'm glad we're finally going back to present

Quote:
Oden collapses into the pot, with a smile on his face
O D. En
Old 2020-02-19, 10:03   Link #4
Hoodspirit

Oden gave his swords to Toki while being in the wooden prison.

Find the fault.

Not that he would have even needed them to break out.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 15:04   Link #5
marvelB

Okay, fixed the summary a bit, and added a few more pics! Yep, turns out that Higurashi was the old lady Kaidou was referring to, after all. I wonder if that also means he wasted Semimaru (the geezer with the bari bari power)? I haven't seen any mention of him so far, but he's gotta croak soon since Bartolomeo eventually inherits that ability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The way you worded it made it sound confusing. "That person", obviously Joy Boy, will return after 800 years, which will be in twenty years. I can't say I'm too fond of this whole prophecy and "chosen one" business...
*Shrug* The original summary I read worded it in the same ambiguous fashion, so I followed suit. Personally, my take on it is that it's not necessarily Joy Boy, but someone who inherited his will who would be the one to rise up, topple Kaidou, and open Wano's borders to the world.... namely, Luffy.

Going back to Kaidou, I'm kinda surprised he chose to end Oden's life with a gun. I had felt certain he was going to bash in his brains with that club of his. Guess even the world's strongest creature was wary of getting splashed with that piping hot oil, eh?
Old 2020-02-19, 15:54   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
*Shrug* The original summary I read worded it in the same ambiguous fashion, so I followed suit. Personally, my take on it is that it's not necessarily Joy Boy, but someone who inherited his will who would be the one to rise up, topple Kaidou, and open Wano's borders to the world.... namely, Luffy.
I think Kanon meant Luffy as in he's the next "Joy Boy". A few chapters back we were talking about how the name Joy Boy could be a title.

---

All in all, I enjoyed this flashback and am looking forward to seeing the climax unfold in Act 4.
Old 2020-02-19, 17:03   Link #7
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

this is probably the BEST chapter of the flashback!

no one else can defeat kaidou at that time? really? come on...
so oden suddenly know the future? how?
why would wano undergo a long winter after kaidou is defeated? and Toki use her powers? to move the entire kingdom ahead in time to escape the winter??
Old 2020-02-19, 19:46   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I think Kanon meant Luffy as in he's the next "Joy Boy". A few chapters back we were talking about how the name Joy Boy could be a title.
Yep, that's what I meant. Oden explicitly mentioned in a previous chapter that Joy Boy was going to return, and the current Joy Boy is obviously Luffy.

Oden stating he had reached his peak and yet never managed to produce a black sword means he was a weaker swordsman than Mihawk IMO. And when he says nobody can beat Kaidou, I guess he meant nobody in Wano. Because I'm pretty sure Whitebeard could have kicked his ass back then.
Old 2020-02-20, 21:38   Link #9
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And the old lady Kaido is talk about is Orochi's great grandma. He was probably pissed off she ruined their fight. That redeems him a bit.
It still doesn't make Kaidou "good" by any stretch, but it does make him look far, far better than Higurashi or even Orochi himself. Either way, it couldn't have happened to a nicer old lady. Kick the son of a b%$^h at it's finest, in TvTropes terms. Really hoping Bartolomeo makes a comeback not only because he'd have had time along with the others in the Grand Fleet to make it to Wano by the time Reverie Concludes, but for the extra delicious and catharsis of Orochi getting a taste of what happens when the Bari Bari no Mi is in the hands of someone allied to the people overthrowing you.

Still, a pity that Fukurokuju came off as unregretful of turning his back on Oden and siding with Orochi despite knowing that the bastard's utter scum. He probably wasn't much of a 'nice' guy in the first place, anyways.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-21, 12:04   Link #10
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
Kick the son of a b%$^h at it's finest, in TvTropes terms.
TV Tropes is pretentious post-modernism.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-21, 16:15   Link #11
Hoodspirit

If the smile of the dying Oden really meant to imply a connection between the Kozuki-Clan and the Ds, the voice of all things we had discussed recently in a previous thread, could be blood related to the Ds as well.
And if this is true, Luffy doesn't seem to be that strong in it compared to Roger, Oden and Momonosuke.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-21, 17:14   Link #12
Wandering Soul

Now I'm wondering if part of Kaidou's desire to die in a grand war is because he wants to match or outdo Oden's death.
Old 2020-02-23, 07:57   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

that is a good way to die
although during the flashback, we could not get any grasp regarding Oden's strength
so he is basically not a just king or something like that.. he is just a living patriot
and his death inspired people to die honorably like him just like Lord Yasuie

now how will Lady Toki died? suicide, probably
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-23, 08:44   Link #14
Zolton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Oden gave his swords to Toki while being in the wooden prison.

Find the fault.

Not that he would have even needed them to break out.
Are we sure the cage was made of wood? Maybe it's actually seastone?
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-23, 11:10   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolton View Post
Are we sure the cage was made of wood? Maybe it's actually seastone?
It still made no sense for him to have his swords inside his cell.
Old 2020-02-24, 14:47   Link #16
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
This Joy Boy thing sounds like some sort of folklore. Sure wish I knew what kind of folklore it is. 🤔
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-25, 17:33   Link #17
marvelB

BTW, I know it's kind of a minor thing, but I'm glad the chapter addressed the poker face Toki displayed over the past few chapters over her husband's predicament. Heck, even Oden himself was surprised by her countenance! I wonder if it's due to her experience dealing with prior tragedies during her leaps through the ages....?

Anyways, I agree with the notion that Fukurokuju was most likely already a scumbag before pledging allegiance to Orochi. Definitely looking forward to seeing that guy get his comeuppance in the present, most likely by Shinobu or Raizou (the latter of whom was considered Fuku's rival). And while we're on the subject of returning to the present..... I wonder who's going to be the one to launch the inevitable doomsday weapon/attack that threatens to wipe out all life on Wano during the arc's climax? Orochi? Kaidou? Big Mom? All three of them? I'm kinda leaning towards Orochi since he made it clear he wanted to ruin the country out of revenge, but Kaidou also wants to end the world through a global-scale war, so......
Old 2020-02-27, 09:20   Link #18
marvelB

So... this a bit sudden, but as it turns out, there is NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK. Looks like Oda came down with a little something, but he'll be back in business next week. Here's an official message from the editors:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

AP's Greg assures us it's nothing serious, so anyone assuming the worst can breathe a sigh of relief now. So stay tuned around this time next week for the next chapter thread!
Old 2020-02-27, 11:35   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Good to know it's nothing serious.

Those unplanned breaks always seem to happen at the worst times. I was really happy the story was about to go back to the present.
Old 2020-02-28, 02:26   Link #20
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
AP's Greg assures us it's nothing serious, so anyone assuming the worst can breathe a sigh of relief now. So stay tuned around this time next week for the next chapter thread!
Sure hope Oda didnít catch the Corona virus. Thatís been happening lately all over the world. 😰
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote