Notices

Old 2019-10-18, 22:04   Link #41
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Cobra? Okay, that certainly is random.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-18, 22:52   Link #42
Frontier

Watson settles into his typical role of Holmes' assistant/manservant, partially because he needs Holmes to solve his case and partially because he feels guilty for running over him .

The Opening is very fitting for the kind of eccentric, jazzy, series this anime is. We got the indications of a Holmes, Watson, Moriarty power trio (while also hinting at Moriarty's traditional villainous turn), a blonde in fishnets (Irene Addler?), a younger girl in a pink dress and poor Watson with Mrs. Hudson .

How old is this florist lady? Isn't there like an age-limit for being an idol? Not that she wasn't cute, but that seemed more suspicious then the eye-mole thing .

Mary Morstan! Traditionally Watson's love interest/wife in the Holmes mythos, here she's presented as a girly girl rival detective who charms her way into solving a case (hence "little devil girl detective"), with her sister Lucy as muscle. Obviously we see Watson is somewhat smitten with her, at least right up until she used him to get a leg up on Holmes, but he was still blushing at her when he confronted her at the end. It'll be interesting to see how their relationship develops in this incarnation .

In all fairness, it's hard not to peg Lucy as a guy with the way she dresses and her deep voice. The most feminine thing about her is her boots .

The Baker Stree...I mean, Kabukichou Irregulars make their proper debut. Poor Watson does not have good luck with these kids .

I love how the criminals want Holmes to say how he figured it out, not knowing he's going to elaborate on it in a Rakugo skit .

I guess that Cobra guy tied everything together and worked as a reference, but still pretty random .

Wouldn't be a Holmes/Watson dynamic without Watson bailing out Holmes .

So, yeah, the kid is Moriarty, Holmes' iconic archenemy. Which pretty much explains how he figured out the case to be able to tell Watson so he could be there to save Holmes. Looks like he'll be one of the more interesting updates of a Sherlock character in this incarnation...
Old 2019-10-19, 02:19   Link #43
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Cobra from another SH novel?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-19, 04:03   Link #44
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This case was boring. Way too easy to figure who the culprit was since there was only one candidate anyway. The motives were harder to figure, but it seems like they just wanted to do a Cobra reference.

To the surprise of no one, the OP indicates James will be the villain.
Well, imagine seeing that title about a particular unique trait then remembering that The Red Headed League had the same plot, then watching the entire thing knowing what will happen

Maybe what will become interesting for me with this series is identifying which short story or novel they're adapting that week.

Also that Cobra guy was a twist that wasn't in the original story so if it's a reference to another work I don't know where it came from
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-19, 05:49   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post

Also that Cobra guy was a twist that wasn't in the original story so if it's a reference to another work I don't know where it came from
“The Speckled Band”.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-19, 06:31   Link #46
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I knew it.

Though I wanna see the show adopt the Hounds story. That story shit me scared as yougin.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2019-10-19, 06:37   Link #47
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
“The Speckled Band”.
ooh if they're going to sprinkle in elements from other stories that are not going to be adapted then that will definitely make things more interesting!

Also I was wrong last time those aren't canned apricots but canned oranges which is worse
Old 2019-10-19, 08:25   Link #48
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Since Sherlock is using rakugo and not many peeps may know about it, allow me to share a vid of it.

And since I'm Canadian (I have Filipino nationality originally and got it back, but I don't think highly of it now), may I introduce Katsura Sunshine, one of the few Westerners who were trained as rakugoka.

Old 2019-10-19, 09:46   Link #49
Tenzen12

I remember this story
Old 2019-10-19, 09:48   Link #50
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I knew it.

Though I wanna see the show adopt the Hounds story. That story shit me scared as yougin.
I'm curious how they might adapt The Sign of Four since they're already introduced Mary.
Old 2019-10-20, 00:10   Link #51
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I admit that the OP is kinda catchy:

----

http://pipecat-kabukicho.jp/goods.html

The official site has a boatload of merchandise, including a power bank.

Old 2019-10-20, 10:23   Link #52
Frontier

Quote:
I admit that the OP is kinda catchy:

----

http://pipecat-kabukicho.jp/goods.html

The official site has a boatload of merchandise, including a power bank.
Agreed .

Wonder how soon until we meet the new female characters in the Opening...also a montage of dudes with Lestrade, so wonder what their deal is .
Old 2019-10-20, 20:20   Link #53
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Anyone been able to locate any indication that Mary has a brother in the SH mythos? Tried the various wikis meant for it, but I can't find any mention.

Old 2019-10-20, 21:14   Link #54
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

AFAIK Mary didn't have a sibling in the original stories.
Old 2019-10-20, 22:00   Link #55
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Guessing that I was correct.

Someone mentioned off hand about Lucy being a gender counterpart for the brother supposedly. Don't know if an adaptation had Mary with an older brother or something.

Old 2019-10-20, 23:25   Link #56
Frontier

Quote:
Guessing that I was correct.

Someone mentioned off hand about Lucy being a gender counterpart for the brother supposedly. Don't know if an adaptation had Mary with an older brother or something.
I guess it would explain why she exists and is handled the way she is.

(I seem to remember her having a sister in the RDJ/Jude Law Sherlock movies, but she might just have been a "gal pal").
Old 2019-10-21, 00:39   Link #57
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
montage of dudes with Lestrade, so wonder what their deal is .
Probably significant characters acting as potential characters for the detectives working under PCB.

With the guy in a hoodie, me thinks that it could be Jack himself.

Old 2019-10-21, 00:41   Link #58
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Anyone been able to locate any indication that Mary has a brother in the SH mythos? Tried the various wikis meant for it, but I can't find any mention.
Isn't she supposed to be the sole heiress to her father's fortune?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-21, 21:07   Link #59
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I'm not really that familiar with her in the original Victorian-era SH, so I wasn't really sure.

Old 2019-10-24, 19:04   Link #60
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...48491016179712

FUNI announced the main cast.