AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-09-25, 08:11   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 957 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Hey, guys! Well, last chapter was epic enough.... can the latest one top it, though? That may very well be the case, though there's little info out at the moment. Credit goes to Redon and co. from AP for the spoilers:

-Chapter title is "ULTIMATE". Splash is a color page.

-Fleet admiral Sakazuki (aka Akainu) gets in contact with admiral Fujitora. They discuss the abolition of the Shichibukai system, and its apparent replacement, known only as the SSG at this time. The blind one is also informed about the alliance between Big Mom and Kaidou, which naturally worries him. Even Sakazuki is feeling under heavy pressure over this situation....!!!

-The marines hold a meeting, and Sengoku expounds on the Rox (or Rocks) pirates, as very few marines nowadays have heard of them. They first gathered at the pirates' island of Hachinosu, and its past members included Whitebeard, Big Mom, AND Kaidou! Other famous pirates to rise from that crew included Gold Lion Shiki, Silver Axe, Captain John, and Ouchoku. Sengoku further explains that the reason why they aren't so well-known nowadays is because the government covered up their actions. Still, the Rox crew met its end 38 years ago, on an island known as God's Valley. The one who took them down.... the hero of the marines, Monkey D. Garp.


-However, the full truth behind that incident is that Garp joined forces with a certain pirate to take down Rox.... that being the Pirate King, Gol D. Roger. And if that weren't enough, Garp had to protect the Celestial Dragons and their slaves during that mission! Interestingly, it's because Garp refused to be subservient to the world nobles that he remains a vice admiral to this day. And as for Rox himself....? His full name was Rox D, Xebec, making him part of the D lineage! He sought to become king of the world, which meant he involved himself in many of the world's taboo subjects.... which is one of the main reasons why so little information about him is available. In fact, even the island of God Valley, where Rox met his downfall, was effectively erased from history after the incident occurred. But now that two alumni of the legendary Rox pirates have formed an alliance, what may now be the most powerful pirate crew in history has been born....!!!!

-Marine officer Brannew, who's in the middle of updating the bounties of the former warlords, reviews the bounties of the current emperors, as well as Whitebeard's and Roger's:

Quote:
Shanks: 4,048,900,000
Big Mom: 4,388,000,000
Kaidou: 4,611,100,000
Whitebeard: 5,046,000,000
Roger: 5,564,800,000
-During Brannew's briefing, Sakazuki appears, saying that he can't afford to send soldiers to Wano. Sengoku agrees, but he felt the need to inform the younger recruits about the past. And on that note, he brings up a pirate who was favored by Roger, Shanks, and Whitebeard alike..... Kouzuki Oden. As it turns out, Oden was one of WB's division commanders before Roger took him along for his final voyage. In fact, it appears that Wano has a common link to ALL of these legendary pirates, a fact that seems a little too coincidental......

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

More info to come once it's available....

Last edited by marvelB; 2019-09-27 at 09:19.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 08:16   Link #2
Hakai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 21
Shanks is the lowest huh... at least he's closer to the other two than BB.

Wonder where Dragon and Mihawk fit between those huge numbers.

And Rox crew was OP. We thought Roger's crew was ridiculous but this is something else
__________________
Hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 08:22   Link #3
grecefar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blue Notes Blues
damn even whitebear was in that crew.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 08:29   Link #4
Hakai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 21
Anyway I'm glad we got another chapter of just Oda dropping bombs before we go back to Wano.
__________________
Hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 08:43   Link #5
SilverGlavenus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Somewhere in this Universe
Garp and Roger teaming up ?? What a legendary sight.

Garp is a hero for a reason. I wonder what kind of monster Rox was to have such powerful crew members.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 08:57   Link #6
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
BTW, I find it rather amusing that Shiki's name gets dropped here when the previous chapter thread had a recent discussion about whether or not the movies are canonical. And on that note, I do think it would be pretty awesome if Zephyr's name were dropped on the marine side....

Anyway, we never knew much about the pirates of the pre-Roger era, so it's neat we're finally learning more about this Rox fella. Sounds like he was a real beast, too (probably even more so than Kaidou, lol ). I'd love to see a flashback about this guy...
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 10:31   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Rox had one crazy crew. They should totally make a flashback movie telling the story of how he was taken down by Roger and Garp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Sin View Post
Shanks is the lowest huh... at least he's closer to the other two than BB.
Probably because Shanks is rather peaceful for a pirate. He doesn't represent as much of a danger as the others.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 10:53   Link #8
Hakai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 21
Yeah I thought that as well.

And even without considering that

Whitebeard - Strongest man
Kaido - Strongest creature
And big mom has been around for much longer compared to Shanks.

So all in all Shanks being a little lower compared to them makes sense I guess.
__________________
Hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 11:56   Link #9
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yeah, Shanks' status seems to be special, even among the emperors. I mean, not only did he end the Marineford war, the Gorosei were even willing to meet with him during the Reverie. I still doubt the idea of him being related to the world nobles (mainly because that would feel too similar to Doflamingo), but I figure he must have some special connection to the WG's top brass to garner such treatment....

And as far as the bounties are concerned.... poor Ace. He was a mere 5 billion away from reaching his old man's heights before his untimely demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Rox had one crazy crew. They should totally make a flashback movie telling the story of how he was taken down by Roger and Garp.
Rather than a movie, I'd rather we had a special chapter, like we did with Shiki. Not sure if Oda can make it happen, though....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 12:01   Link #10
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
That is one OP crew. Rox alone sounds a nightmare for anyone to deal with if it took both Roger and Garp to take him down.

Shanks having the lowest bounty makes sense considering he doesn't really cause trouble.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 12:41   Link #11
The Small One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, Shanks' status seems to be special, even among the emperors. I mean, not only did he end the Marineford war, the Gorosei were even willing to meet with him during the Reverie. I still doubt the idea of him being related to the world nobles (mainly because that would feel too similar to Doflamingo), but I figure he must have some special connection to the WG's top brass to garner such treatment....
Well, he was at Raftel together with Gold Roger, so he should know the secrets of the void century. Probably reason enough to talk with him. Maybe he knows something to blackmail them.

I wonder how many pirate crews there even were at that time. In the beginning it was said, that Gold Roger started the age of the pirates, so a they maybe were something rather rare at that time. Which explains why they had to be extremely powerful to stand against the marines.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 13:15   Link #12
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
The Rox hype is here. Although I suspect that neither Garp nor Roger were in their prime when they took him down.

Shanks having the lowest bounty doesn't surprise me for reasons already stated. Not to mention that he's by far the youngest and thus has had a lot less time to accrue his bounty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, I find it rather amusing that Shiki's name gets dropped here when the previous chapter thread had a recent discussion about whether or not the movies are canonical.
Shiki, Zephyr, and Douglas Bullet are canon characters. But the events in their movies are not canon.
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 18:43   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Rather than a movie, I'd rather we had a special chapter, like we did with Shiki. Not sure if Oda can make it happen, though....
How about a special chapter and a movie that expands on it?
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 00:05   Link #14
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Celestina
I wonder other than Shirohige and Shanks, every Yonko was aiming for domination itself. As for Roger, my best guess is Luffy will team up with.. probably Issho or Smoker from Marines to take both Yonkou.
Ramero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 00:48   Link #15
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
How about a special chapter and a movie that expands on it?
There is no way that it is not coming at this rate
__________________
cyberdemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 05:55   Link #16
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
For an info bomb like that to be dropped... it makes you wonder how insanely powerful Rox had to be.

Then again, although Roger was King of the Pirates, it makes me wonder just how truly powerful he was. We know that he had the power to hear "The Voice of All Things", and we can assume he had to be a Haki master of some sort... I wonder if his bounty is/was so high because he learned EVERYTHING about the Void Century, rather than being some super-powerful pirate like Big Mom or Kaidou.
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 06:05   Link #17
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Celestina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
For an info bomb like that to be dropped... it makes you wonder how insanely powerful Rox had to be.

Then again, although Roger was King of the Pirates, it makes me wonder just how truly powerful he was. We know that he had the power to hear "The Voice of All Things", and we can assume he had to be a Haki master of some sort... I wonder if his bounty is/was so high because he learned EVERYTHING about the Void Century, rather than being some super-powerful pirate like Big Mom or Kaidou.
Just remember that he and Garp always fight neck to neck when it comes to fighting. Oda already give clue on how close Garp and Roger's relationship that are akin to eternal rival. It's already indicated that Roger was indeed very powerful. I mean... he and Garp manage to defeat Rox and perhaps make BM, Kaido, Shiki and Shirohige retreat as well.
Ramero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 06:38   Link #18
Hakai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 21
It was stated(or at least strongly implied) that Whitebeard was Roger's equal/rival. And Whitebeard had the title of World's strongest man, so I'd imagine a prime Roger would be the strongest character in One Piece til now along with Whitebeard.

Well he was the Pirate King.
__________________
Hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 06:42   Link #19
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Updated the first post a bit! As with the previous chapter's spoiler, there's a bunch of pics but no full summary yet, so I guess we have to wait for the full release as far as the latter is concerned. Anyway, some stuff we've gleaned so far is that we got the full name of Rox (looks like it's officially spelled "Rocks", but I kinda feel like sticking with Rox, heh ), he was involved in the "God Valley incident" where marines and pirates joined forces to take him down, and despite those future emperors being part of his crew, they were apprentices at the time, so they were nowhere near as powerful then as they became once they founded their own crews. Oh, and according to the pics, Shanks became an emperor six years ago, so he was the "newest" Yonkou prior to Blackbeard's rise to power. Also, I believe Brannew states that he's calculating the new bounties for the ex-Shichibukai, so I'm personally looking forward to learning the new prices on their heads....

And on the subject of bounties, the Yonkou's prices were a bit off from yesterday's summary, but it's fixed, now. Lastly, Sengoku and Sakazuki seem to be discussing Wano and Oden at the end of the chapter. Guess they're preparing to set off for war, then.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 07:19   Link #20
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
i wonder why Oda choose now to bring up Rox?
is he going to make an appearance?
__________________
khoa1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.