AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2019-12-19, 10:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 966 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Time for some pre-Christmas spoilers! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Roger and Whitebeard". The ministory involves Chiffon getting arrested by the marines.

-The Roger and Whitebeard pirates clash! During the brawl, Oden tries to get a piece of Roger for himself, but the Pirate King easily takes him down. After three days and nights pass, both crews eventually call a ceasefire and become friendly with one another. In fact, they even throw a party! During the festivities, Buggy points out to Shanks an interesting fact about Teach: the boy never slept once in his entire life....

-During the festivities, Roger tells WB and Oden about how he's been unable to reach the final island in the Grand Line. As he shows them a copy of the text written on the Poneglyphs, he discovers that Oden is able to understand the ancient writings! After learning this, he implores Whitebeard to lend him Oden for a year, which the old man reluctantly agrees to. In exchange, Roger gives WB his treasures and supplies, though the old man refuses to accept it.

-Oden soon continues his adventures, but now at the Pirate King's side. At the end of the chapter, the crew reaches Skypiea, and the samurai is seen carving Roger's message on the Shandoran golden bell.....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2019-12-20 at 13:02.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-19, 10:57   Link #2
marvelB

Heh, Oden sure got humbled by Roger, didn't he? Anyway, for me the highlight of the spoilers so far is that tidbit about Teach. We're gradually learning more about his abnormal body....

Also, some around here should be familiar with the drill by now, but this bears repeating: While the magazine's technically supposed to be on break next week, holiday spoilers have a tendency to leak earlier than usual, so don't be surprised if we have one last chapter before the year ends!
Old 2019-12-19, 11:00   Link #3
Hakai

Images
TWO GODS!

So this is what a Pirate King level clash looks like.
Old 2019-12-19, 11:43   Link #4
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I was wondering how Skypiea works. Since it cloud island I guess it move to new world during Roger time then move back to Jaya during Luffy time. Unless Roger deliberately move back to grand line.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-19, 12:03   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It really is nice to see Oden couldn't hold a candle to Roger and therefore Whitebeard. Really interested in what Roger told Oden exactly to convince him to join, and if Whitebeard let him go easily or not.

The bit about Teach is interesting, but I don't know what to make of it.
Old 2019-12-19, 16:38   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
I was wondering how Skypiea works. Since it cloud island I guess it move to new world during Roger time then move back to Jaya during Luffy time. Unless Roger deliberately move back to grand line.
Well, even if he went to the NW, that doesn't mean Roger couldn't have continued his adventures in Paradise and the other blue seas afterwards. That being said, the impression I always had was that Skypiea always floated around the general area of Jaya (it would certainly explain why we later learned that the Shandian tribe had a history with the sky people prior to their island getting blasted onto their turf)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The bit about Teach is interesting, but I don't know what to make of it.
Well, like I said, it contributes to the hints we've had about Teach having a unique body. I mean, there's what Marco said at Marineford about his "abnormality" making it possible for him to possess two DF abilities, and of course, there's Ace's line about Teach having "double lives" during their fight (which many previously misinterpreted as Ace referring to Teach's age, but that was not the case). Plus, those sleepless nights of his could explain that childhood pic of him Oda drew in an SBS some years back:

^Could the insomnia be what made him so sad and miserable back then....?
Old 2019-12-19, 17:36   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I think it runs deeper than that. I suspect that Blackbeard's past will be tragic. Although he's committed some heinous atrocities due to his selfishness and ambition, he'll probably be somewhat of a sympathetic villain in the end. This story has shown us on several occasions that there's no absolute black and white with these characters. I think even Akainu has his reasons for being so extreme with his ideologies.
Old 2019-12-19, 19:06   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

In case you guys haven't heard of it... We won't get this chapter tomorrow like usual. Unless another group steps up to the plate, which I find unlikely, we'll have to wait until the official release on Sundays from now on. That means no chapter on Christmas week either, though we may still get spoilers.

Quote:
Well, like I said, it contributes to the hints we've had about Teach having a unique body. I mean, there's what Marco said at Marineford about his "abnormality" making it possible for him to possess two DF abilities, and of course, there's Ace's line about Teach having "double lives" during their fight (which many previously misinterpreted as Ace referring to Teach's age, but that was not the case). Plus, those sleepless nights of his could explain that childhood pic of him Oda drew in an SBS some years back:

What I meant is that I can't imagine how insomnia is connected to him being able to wield two DF abilities at the moment.
Old 2019-12-19, 19:30   Link #9
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I think it runs deeper than that. I suspect that Blackbeard's past will be tragic. Although he's committed some heinous atrocities due to his selfishness and ambition, he'll probably be somewhat of a sympathetic villain in the end. This story has shown us on several occasions that there's no absolute black and white with these characters. I think even Akainu has his reasons for being so extreme with his ideologies.
Unlike Cowboy Bebopís Pierrot Le Fou or Akame Ga Killís Minister Honest which Akainu could possibly go against.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-20, 01:38   Link #10
WyrdMonger

^Just like with Teach, an SBS image also depicted Alainu with an unpleasant childhood. I theorized he lost everything to pirates.
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-20, 12:02   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, turns out the chapter was released, after all! It wasn't as unlikely as I thought.

Whitebeard is such a tsundere. He wouldn't say goodbye to Oden but he told his men to give back the supplies Roger gave them because he was afraid Oden and his family would starve. I really hope he'll get to meet Oden again. Logically, he should since Roger only asked to "borrow" him for a year. Of course, it's also possible Oden will go straight back to Wano after his journey with Roger is over.

Izo's reason for staying with Whitebeard was that he "likes this ship better".

I haven't watched the Stampede movie but shouldn't Bullet be there? I haven't noticed him.
Old 2019-12-20, 13:29   Link #12
marvelB

Well, I think this chapter more or less clears up that discussion we had in the previous thread about how Roger "hears" the Poneglyphs.... while it seems they call out to him, they still don't "tell" him the particulars of what was written on them, which was why he needed Oden's assistance. But what I found particularly interesting was that, in the translation I read, he refers to the Skypiea Poneglyph's voice as a "she"... so if the translation is correct, it seems that all the voices he hears are distinct, in a sense. Perhaps we'll learn more of this once Luffy or any of the other Straw-Hats further hone their CoO....?

BTW, I also thought the marines from the ministory looked pretty cool (even if the guy holding Capone's wanted posted looked a little like Doflamingo). Kinda hope we'll see them appear in the main story...
Old 2019-12-22, 05:25   Link #13
marvelB

And now for a special bump! As many may know, this is around the time of year that the Jump Festa is held! This is also around the time that, during the event's OP panel, Oda tends to give a special message, which usually contains a hint or two to future events of the main story! Well, here's his message for this year! Credit goes to the folks at AP for the info:

Images

Quote:
"Hello, everyone who came to Jump Festa! This is your King speaking! Actually, I lied. This is Oda.
The year of the 20th anniversary of the One Piece TV series really hit us with all its fury. There have been tons of events, illustrations, films, the whole thing was jam-packed, huh! I would like to use this chance to seriously thank everyone who took the time to join in!" To all the staff involved in all of this: Great work, everybody! Now you can finally rest. But, well... As for the source material, I don't think I'll have any time to rest myself. In fact, I've already destroyed all my own chances at a break! Are you enjoying the adventures of Kouzuki Oden so far? I've been worried about revealing spoilers in this arc, so I've been super careful drawing it. If I don't keep myself in check, I'll end up plotting out the entire rest of One Piece's story right there. [Note: He probably means spoiling so much, that everybody is gonna be able to guess the ending.] While I'm showing all these flashbacks, Luffy's party's adventures are having their stakes risen as well. They'll soon be faced with the reality that you have to bring sacrifices to fight for the things you believe in!! Well, of course, Luffy is not the sort of person to think about those sorts of things though.
The Wano Kuni arc is finally moving towards its climax as well!! I've been looking forwards to drawing Wano Kuni a lot, so I'm psyched! And once it's over, things are going to be grim. Sabo will...!! Vivi will...!! Hancock will...!! AAAAAAAA...!!! OK.
Last but not least, the exhibition you all came here for is just about to begin! Please take a close look at everything!!
The next year of One Piece will also be
SO, SO MUCH FUN!!
~December 2019, Eiichiro Oda
^Whoa, looks like Oda's hinting at heavy stuff happening to certain characters (Sabo, Vivi, Hancock). And I find that line about Luffy's group being forced to make sacrifices particularly concerning, as well. Of course, it was already obvious that going to war against two emperors would be no cakewalk, but now it sounds like Oda is really going to drive home what it means to face those who stand at the summit......
Old 2019-12-22, 14:25   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Sounds like 2020 will be quite the jam-packed year for One Piece. I presume Wano will finish by the end of next year. And we'll probably get those updates on Sabo, Vivi, and Hancock during the intermissions in between acts. Good stuff!
Old 2019-12-22, 16:47   Link #15
Theia_Loki

Quote:
I haven't watched the Stampede movie but shouldn't Bullet be there? I haven't noticed him.
I found him near the foreground wearing a coat with a fluffy fur lining and brandishing a sword.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-22, 19:11   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Rather than concerning, I find the lines about sacrifices reassuring. It'd be total bullshit if they could win against two Emperors without losing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
I found him near the foreground wearing a coat with a fluffy fur lining and brandishing a sword.
I figured he had to be there, he is supposed to be a canon character after all.
Old 2019-12-23, 14:17   Link #17
Zolton

I have no idea how being unable to sleep translates to being able to eat two Devil Fruits, and yet it's obvious that it does. There's a theory it has something to do with the rumor Luffy heard about people from snow countries who don't sleep, but I doubt it. Blackbeard's condition sounds pretty uncommon. I wonder if it's possible to steal a person's ability to sleep? If you can steal a person's shadow, lifespan, memory, or make them unable to stop smiling and laughing.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 17:42   Link #18
marvelB

BTW, anyone else notice how there was a moment during Roger's chat with WB and Oden that mirrored a scene from Luffy's post-Marineford flashback? They both shout out "I'm gonna be...!!!" before the rest of the line is cut off from us readers and we instead see the reactions of their buddies (which are simply blank stares). Of course, the most obvious thing to assume was that both of them said "Pirate King", but seeing as this is the second time Oda pulled this stunt, I can't help but wonder if there was more said than the mere obvious....?

Quote:
Rather than concerning, I find the lines about sacrifices reassuring. It'd be total bullshit if they could win against two Emperors without losing anything.
Oh, I don't disagree with you, but I still find the line rather foreboding, seeing as it's coming straight from the author himself.....
Old 2019-12-23, 19:40   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
BTW, anyone else notice how there was a moment during Roger's chat with WB and Oden that mirrored a scene from Luffy's post-Marineford flashback? They both shout out "I'm gonna be...!!!" before the rest of the line is cut off from us readers and we instead see the reactions of their buddies (which are simply blank stares). Of course, the most obvious thing to assume was that both of them said "Pirate King", but seeing as this is the second time Oda pulled this stunt, I can't help but wonder if there was more said than the mere obvious....?
I didn't notice. That's interesting. I wonder what the line is in Japanese, "I"m gonna be" might be a biased translation, since everybody expect them to say "Pirate King".
Old 2019-12-24, 09:18   Link #20
marvelB

^Yeah, I'm also a bit curious how it was phrased in the original Japanese. In the meantime, here's a (translated) comparison of the two scenes in question:

Luffy (chapter 585)

Images

Roger (chapter 966)

Images

^And as I mentioned before, the reactions of Ace/Sabo/WB/Oden in their respective flashbacks are essentially the same, even. I really wonder if Oda will address this further at some point....