AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2019-12-27, 01:42   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 967 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Yo, guys! Time for the last chapter for the year! Credit goes to AP's Sandman and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Roger's Adventure". Splash is a color page, as well as a new year's drawing of the Straw-Hats.

-Oden's journey with Roger continues as they locate Poneglyphs together. First they visit Water 7, where they meet Tom's gang, including Franky (though it seems he only meets Oden, not Roger himself). Their next trip is to Fish-man Island, where the crew has a meeting with a younger Neptune and Sharly (who predicts not only the birth of Shirahoshi, but also her being an ancient weapon, and a precursor of the island destruction prophecy she makes as an adult). Later, they visit the Poneglyph in the sea forest, which contains Joy Boy's apology message. Soon, Toki falls ill, so the crew makes a stop at Wano, in order to get her treated, as well as to see the Poneglyph. There, Oden reunites with Kinemon's group.... but he makes the visit brief. He actually wants to stay, but he soon leaves at Toki's urging.

- The pirates next land at Zou, where we're introduced to the previous duke of the mink people (whose name is something like Duke Hitsugisukan. Anyway, he's a ram-type mink). There, they reach the last Poneglyph, which Oden discovers has the Kouzuki clan crest engraved on it. However, before Roger can set off for the final island, a slight hiccup occurs: Buggy comes down with a bad fever, and is forced to stay behind. Shanks and Crocus stay behind as well to nurse him back to health. Though his two swabbies and doctor have sat out on the final leg of the journey, Roger finally succeeds in accomplishing what no one else has done before: sailing around the entire world. Oden records that on the day of arriving at the final island, they learned many truths: Of the Void Century, the "D" clan, the Ancient Weapons, and that Wano was once part of the world at large. Roger, who's standing in front of the vast amount of treasure, is laughing with all his heart as he says he wishes he were born in the same era as Joy Boy. He then announces that, as the first people in 800 years to discover the island, they should name it, which he does...... as LAUGH TALE.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-01-10 at 16:03.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-27, 01:50   Link #2
marvelB

Heh, now I see what Oda meant in his Jump Festa message about being afraid of spoiling too much! At least now we have total confirmation that the final island is meant to be called "Laugh Tale" instead of Raftel. It's also now clear that the One Piece is indeed a physical treasure.... though Oda's been saying that in interviews for years, anyway. And why the heck didn't Franky tell Luffy that he met Roger in the past? Did he forget or something!?
Old 2019-12-27, 03:08   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Heh, now I see what Oda meant in his Jump Festa message about being afraid of spoiling too much! At least now we have total confirmation that the final island is meant to be called "Laugh Tale" instead of Raftel. It's also now clear that the One Piece is indeed a physical treasure.... though Oda's been saying that in interviews for years, anyway. And why the heck didn't Franky tell Luffy that he met Roger in the past? Did he forget or something!?
I think it was based on Tom's order that all of them must seal their lips tight so they won't be captured by WG. Tom bait himself so the rest of Tom Workers also are not arrested since his group was, officially create Oro Jackson so Iceberg, Franky, and even Kokoro should be also arrested.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-27, 03:46   Link #4
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Considering this is the last chapter of this year, and with all the pieces we have in play (Oden and Roger's journey, Toki being from the same era as the Void Century, the treachery of Orochi, and that's just from flashbacks).... considering that the third act of a Kabuki play is the tragic one, and we're already getting hints that there's going to be a lot of Hitting The Fan coming up, you think we're going to have and explosive start to the New Year? And I don't mean the good kind of explosive either.

On a side note, there's two things I keep wondering. Again, just how strong Roger was: we see him clash with a Devil Fruit-powered Whitebeard and they pretty much draw even. Plus, is it just me, or do Devil Fruits seem to not be a thing in the past? I get that Oda used them as a gimmick when he first started the series, but we're only getting a handful of Devil Fruits in flashbacks compared the the many we've seen in present-day story. I guess the works-for-the-story excuse is that an interest in Devil Fruits didn't happen until Roger's death kicked off the Golden Age of Piracy.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-27, 12:05   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kind of a shame Stampede had already spoiled the Laugh Tale thing. It would have made the ending of this chapter even better. I wonder how translators are going to deal with the fact they've been spelling the name of the island wrong for 90+ volumes.

Did we already know that Shanks and Buggy never set foot on the last island? Although it seems like Shanks still found out some of the secrets, given his special treatment by the Five Elders.
Old 2019-12-27, 14:03   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Did we already know that Shanks and Buggy never set foot on the last island? Although it seems like Shanks still found out some of the secrets, given his special treatment by the Five Elders.
We didn't know until now. Which means that Shanks doesn't know the entire truth nor does he know where Laugh Tale is. As for his meeting with the Five Elders, it begs the question: who exactly is Shanks? We still don't have the slightest idea of what he's doing or what his goals are. Quite the mystery, indeed.
Old 2019-12-27, 14:40   Link #7
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
And why the heck didn't Franky tell Luffy that he met Roger in the past? Did he forget or something!?
He never met Roger. Only one he met was Oden.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-27, 14:49   Link #8
grecefar

Man I feel bad for shanks and buggy, I thought they reached the island with roger all this time.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-27, 19:47   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
We didn't know until now. Which means that Shanks doesn't know the entire truth nor does he know where Laugh Tale is. As for his meeting with the Five Elders, it begs the question: who exactly is Shanks? We still don't have the slightest idea of what he's doing or what his goals are. Quite the mystery, indeed.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Sucks for them, but I guess Shanks didn't really mind. In fact, he probably chose to stay behind with Buggy so he would have something to look forward to.
Old 2019-12-27, 22:21   Link #10
Ramero

I just pray that Usopp didn't receive the same fate as Buggy does.
Old 2019-12-28, 03:12   Link #11
Kaz_

All those interesting things happening yet all I can think is that Shanks probably inherited his Gryphon sword from Gol D Roger.
Correct me if Im wrong, but the hilt and and blade looks almost the same to me.

Last edited by Kaz_; 2019-12-28 at 03:22.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-28, 12:37   Link #12
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
dat young big mom tho
Old 2019-12-28, 13:00   Link #13
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i'm gonna make a lot of people mad but i'm ready for this flashback to be over... it's been way too long
Old 2019-12-28, 16:50   Link #14
grecefar

Love the last two pages, I wanted to cry too.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-28, 17:31   Link #15
Rainbowman

Quote:
Heh, now I see what Oda meant in his Jump Festa message about being afraid of spoiling too much! At least now we have total confirmation that the final island is meant to be called "Laugh Tale" instead of Raftel. It's also now clear that the One Piece is indeed a physical treasure.... though Oda's been saying that in interviews for years, anyway.
I look forward to the final arc that is Laugh Tale.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-28, 19:31   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This chapter left me wondering why everybody readily believed Roger's claim that he had conquered the Grand Line. What proof did he provide?

And I'm thinking Luffy's crew will have a completely different reaction when they reach Laugh Tale and uncover all those secrets. Rayleigh did tell them they may not come to the same conclusions they did.
Old 2019-12-29, 00:58   Link #17
marvelB

Heh, I guess Sharly is Fish-man Island's spoiler provider! And speaking of the underwater isle, it appears that both Roger and Oden heard the voices of the sea kings? I also thought the previous duke of the minks looked pretty cool. Extra points for him being a herbivore instead of a predator like the current dog and cat! And.... apparently, another of Usopp's lies came true? Poor Buggy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This chapter left me wondering why everybody readily believed Roger's claim that he had conquered the Grand Line. What proof did he provide?
Yeah, I'm curious about that, too. Maybe he provided a trinket of treasure or a photo to the press (like to Morgans) or something? I mean, I doubt mere word of mouth alone is enough to convince the entire world of his deed....
Old 2019-12-29, 11:29   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
And.... apparently, another of Usopp's lies came true? Poor Buggy....
About that... the line was made up by the original typesetter. That scanlation was quickly used to make others that were uploaded all over the internet and now tons of people think that disease actually exists, turning it into a real Laugh Tale.
Old 2019-12-29, 12:07   Link #19
The Small One

I think it's kinda strange that according to this chapter, Big Mom has been in possession of a road poneglyph since Roger's time.
Isn't it strange, that nobody managed to reach the last Island in all this years?
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-29, 12:19   Link #20
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I think it's kinda strange that according to this chapter, Big Mom has been in possession of a road poneglyph since Roger's time.
Isn't it strange, that nobody managed to reach the last Island in all this years?
When you can't decipher the code, you can't reach there. On Straw Hats, only Robin can decipher it while WG already kill every Ohara Citizen except Robin.
I think Big Mom already mention it when Roger make a heist on her turf.