AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-22, 09:12   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 991 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Nice early summary is out! Credit goes to Redon and co. from AP for the info:

-Chapter title is something like "Let us die!!" In the ministory, Pound finally has a proper reunion with his daughters after 26 years!

-Luffy agrees to X Drake's request to join their alliance. However, Zoro, Franky, and Jinbei all disapprove of the idea. Zoro even gets into a brief scuffle with Drake over the issue! Meanwhile, the sibling duo of Page One and Ulti launch another attack on the Straw-Hats! However, they get blasted by Usopp (who's hiding behind Nami), so the enemy pirates focus on them instead.

-Just as Luffy is about to head for the roof once more, he ends up getting attacked once again by Scratchmen Apoo! However, this time he wises up and covers his ears to avoid damage. The enemy supernova then calls out to the falen Numbers, saying they wouldn't have lost so easily if they were sober. It's also revealed that there are TEN of the giants in total, and Haccha, one of the Numbers introduced earlier, picks up one of his fallen comrades. He then spots Franky in his Shogun mode, and.... falls in love with him!? He then starts chasing the cyborg out of the banquet hall!

-Before Apoo can call out the other Numbers, he gets targeted by Zoro and Drake, who decide to join forces against a common foe! However, at that moment, the both of them are suddenly attacked by Queen, who fires at them with a machine gun! What's more, Drake indicates that the all-star is using a special type of ammunition! Meanwhile, on the roof, both Inuarashi and Nekomamushi (both in their Sulong forms) have taken down Jack. Kaidou steps in for his subordinate, and assaults the Scabbards with his Boro Breath! However, Kinemon comes forward and slices apart the flames! He then shouts out to let he and his fellow Scabbards die with honor...!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-09-28 at 13:08.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-22, 10:26   Link #2
Itsmepatrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Im sure Jack will recover after some time as Ancient Zoans have tremendous defense or durability , endurance etc... And besides Oda still hasn't shown Jack's Hybrid Form. I think after he recover he will fight either one of the Monster Trio or Jimbei as I'm sure that Neko and Inou will now focus on Kaido.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-22, 16:24   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Even though we haven't seen his hybrid form, I kinda think Jack won't make a come-back. He's always felt like a jobber to me, it's a fitting end for him.

A Straw-Hat winning against an heavily injured Jack wouldn't be satisfying either.

Nice to see Oda hasn't forgotten Kinemon can cut fire. Expected no less.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 01:47   Link #4
Itsmepatrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
It's too early for Jack to get defeated as the war has just started so there's no way Oda will let that happen so I'm sure he will back after some time. There's no way I'd believed that an all star like Jack who's known for his incredible amount of endurance will get defeated thoroughly faster than the Tobi Roppo.



If Sakaki will not become Jimbei's opponent then I'd be rooting Jack versus Jimbei fight.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 10:20   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmepatrick View Post
There's no way I'd believed that an all star like Jack who's known for his incredible amount of endurance will get defeated thoroughly faster than the Tobi Roppo.
Jack's quick loss was to be expected. Inu and Neko we're fighting him relatively evenly back on Zou. And since the Sulong form grants a massive power boost, it's no wonder Jack got stomped badly. He could come back, but what would be the point really? We already have so many other players involved in this war and having him fight again only to lose again seems like a waste of time.
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 14:38   Link #6
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Not a fan of the Luffy accepting Drake without punching him first or make him apologise/explain himelf for what he did to Tama's village.
So out of character.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 01:17   Link #7
Itsmepatrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Jack's quick loss was to be expected. Inu and Neko we're fighting him relatively evenly back on Zou. And since the Sulong form grants a massive power boost, it's no wonder Jack got stomped badly. He could come back, but what would be the point really? We already have so many other players involved in this war and having him fight again only to lose again seems like a waste of time.
An all star got knocked out earlier than the Tobi Roppo while the War has just begun it's ridiculous no matter how you put it. You're forgetting the fact that Zoan devil fruit users especially Ancient Zoan have ridiculous amount of endurance, defense and recovery rate adding to the fact that he is also a Fishman. One more things is we haven't even seen him in his Hybrid Form so it's impossible for Oda to eliminate him at this early point in time. War has just begun so it's unrealistic for the Top executive of Kaido to go down early.So I'm sure Jack will recover at some point in time and will have a fight with Jimbei or any of the Monster Trio.

The scale of this war is still small compared to marineford as there's still no presence of the Marines in this War .At least one Admiral should participate in this war along with some vice admirals for this war to become bigger along with some other parties.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 03:27   Link #8
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
So, something interesting to note: Oda announced that he intends to reach OP's thousandth chapter by year's end! Basically, his schedule will continue the "2 or 3 chapters = break" pattern. It sure would be neat for him to hit such a huge milestone before 2021 hits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Not a fan of the Luffy accepting Drake without punching him first or make him apologise/explain himelf for what he did to Tama's village.
So out of character.
Maybe that's why Zoro and the others objected? There hasn't been any new info/pics to clarify the situation yet, but I think that would make the most sense. I do agree that Luffy's not always quick to accept an enemy's help, otherwise (he certainly wasn't too keen about teaming up with Crocodile at Impel Down/Marineford, after all...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Even though we haven't seen his hybrid form, I kinda think Jack won't make a come-back. He's always felt like a jobber to me, it's a fitting end for him.
Ah yes, surely a dude who spent several days warring with the minks (pre-Sulong state sure, but still), then put that war on hold to brazenly attack a marine vessel full of admirals, then returned to the minks to get swatted away by a gargantuan elephant (yet still survived the encounter) is a "jobber". Yep, a real pushover, that Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
A Straw-Hat winning against an heavily injured Jack wouldn't be satisfying either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Jack's quick loss was to be expected. Inu and Neko we're fighting him relatively evenly back on Zou. And since the Sulong form grants a massive power boost, it's no wonder Jack got stomped badly. He could come back, but what would be the point really? We already have so many other players involved in this war and having him fight again only to lose again seems like a waste of time.
Putting aside what Itsmepatrick said about Ancient Zoans, I can think of a couple other reasons for Jack to stay in the game: First, as minor as it may sound, we've yet to see him use any named techniques in battle. Usually, arc bosses start pulling out the fancier moves when fighting seriously. Secondly.... I think there's a possibility that Jack may be an Awakened Zoan. That may even be the reason why we haven't seen his hybrid form yet. I'd think that would be a pretty fearsome trump card to hold, even against Sulongs as powerful as Inu and Neko. Come to think of it, perhaps that's also the reason we've yet to see Kaidou or the other all-stars' hybrid states. It wouldn't be so wise for them to play their best cards so early in the game....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 06:57   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Ah yes, surely a dude who spent several days warring with the minks (pre-Sulong state sure, but still), then put that war on hold to brazenly attack a marine vessel full of admirals, then returned to the minks to get swatted away by a gargantuan elephant (yet still survived the encounter) is a "jobber". Yep, a real pushover, that Jack!
How many fights did he win (without cheating by using chemical warfare)? Jobber doesn't necessarily mean weak. It just means that his job is to lose to make others look better. In fact, if he wasn't strong, it wouldn't work.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 08:32   Link #10
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
i feel like Kinemon would have had an easier time with Doflamingo back in Dressrosa than Luffy with the way Oda is powering him up now out of no where...
__________________
khoa1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 14:24   Link #11
necrolyte
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Age: 29
^I can agree with you but this is not the first time Oda has done that so nothing new here.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 22:04   Link #12
Itsmepatrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
i feel like Kinemon would have had an easier time with Doflamingo back in Dressrosa than Luffy with the way Oda is powering him up now out of no where...
Nah one of the most important reason Kinemon can cut Kaido's Boro Breath was because of his fighting style which was the Fox-Fire style which let's him generate, attacking with and cut Fire through his sword.

Kinemon and Doflamingo already have a short confrontation in Dressrosa and Kinemon got easily injured by Doflamingo in that Skirmish.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 17:51   Link #13
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I'm not big on these off panel beatings. Seeing Inu and Neko beat Jack in an actual fight (long or short) was something I was looking forward to. Same with the Kanjuro fight. I'd rather this whole chapter was just that Jack fight.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 18:37   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Kanjurou's case puzzles me more since it had a lot of emotional weight attached to it. I know some people believe he'll come back too, but I still don't think so.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 18:42   Link #15
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I'm not big on these off panel beatings. Seeing Inu and Neko beat Jack in an actual fight (long or short) was something I was looking forward to. Same with the Kanjuro fight. I'd rather this whole chapter was just that Jack fight.
don't worry, i'm sure the anime will take that one panel and stretch it to a 10 mins fight lol
__________________
khoa1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 22:35   Link #16
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Kanjurou's case puzzles me more since it had a lot of emotional weight attached to it. I know some people believe he'll come back too, but I still don't think so.
I'd bet on him returning, but it was handled so oddly that I don't have a solid feeling about it. It's possible Oda could do a flashback to that fight, but that would also be weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
don't worry, i'm sure the anime will take that one panel and stretch it to a 10 mins fight lol
Haha! In some cases like this one, I actually hope they do.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 16:48   Link #17
Jmariofan7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
How many fights did he win (without cheating by using chemical warfare)? Jobber doesn't necessarily mean weak. It just means that his job is to lose to make others look better. In fact, if he wasn't strong, it wouldn't work.
That is pretty much what jobbing means.

Also just another forum where most are just complaints who donít get that we donít have to see every single fight in itís intirety otherwise things would go too slow and you guys would STILL COMPLAIN.
Jmariofan7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 17:04   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
So they've managed to mass produce sea stone bullets, huh? Drake didn't even know about it so they've probably been suspecting him for a while.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 19:40   Link #19
grecefar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blue Notes Blues
They shouldn't get mad at luffy for accepting drake proposal, I mean he has done it several times and for what it seems luffy is a good judge of character.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-28, 01:54   Link #20
Tommy
Mr. Prince
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Age: 37
With chapters being released less frequently, the anime is definitely gonna have to throw in mini filler arcs/episodes and flesh out these off screen fights. The Zoro vs Killer fight was so damn beautifully done that I have high hopes for this fight being animated. Their sulong forms look awesome!
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.