AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-15, 10:22   Link #261
Plas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
The De Danaan don't have a Lambda Driver, the TAROS is directly connected to the control of the submarine not to a LD.

If Sousuke is able to pilot an AS with a Lambda Driver without special training or the use of drugs it's because of AL, the AI is a part of the Lambda Driver and the alter-ego of Sousuke. So I think that if Sousuke and AL are able to "synchronise" then the LD could be used directly without the pilote emitting gamma waves.

For me it's clear that Sousuke is not a Whispered, and nothing in the serie or the novel show that Sousuke could be a Whispered candidate.
Does TAROS require a Whispered to control it?
Old 2007-03-15, 11:08   Link #262
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plas View Post
Does TAROS require a Whispered to control it?
No, all Lambda Driver equipped AS have a TAROS, but Whispered have complete control over the TAROS so they are better at using it. The TAROS send the "image"/Gamma brain waves generated by the pilot to the LD.

The TDD-1 is an exception, only a Whispered could use the TAROS and take the control instead of Dana.

edit : I am not to sure about my first sentence, but I am sure that the ARX-7 is equipped with a TAROS a newer version than the one in the TDD-1.
Old 2007-03-15, 19:06   Link #263
Sentynal

Oh, here's that I wanted to ask for a long time now....

All of those arm slaves.... And all the advanced technology that retard Leanard....

Couldn't they be taken out by 1 of the thousands of ways that NORMAL technology has to disable electricity or just blow up the engine? Then finalize it with around 50 nuclear warheads dropped from thousands of kilometres away? I'm pretty sure nothing can survive that....
Old 2007-03-15, 22:45   Link #264
velvet nightmare

can someone give me a summary of what TAROS is?

i cant remember
Old 2007-03-15, 23:15   Link #265
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentynal View Post
Oh, here's that I wanted to ask for a long time now....

All of those arm slaves.... And all the advanced technology that retard Leanard....

Couldn't they be taken out by 1 of the thousands of ways that NORMAL technology has to disable electricity or just blow up the engine? Then finalize it with around 50 nuclear warheads dropped from thousands of kilometres away? I'm pretty sure nothing can survive that....
I'm not sure what these thousands of ways are. Most of the methods I can think of won't work on the battlefield. Pouring sugar in the gas tank? Sure, that would work if you had a sabateur. Certain other methods might not work. You'd have to look at the specifics of each method individually.

While I would be surprised if an Arm Slave was not shielded from EM Pulse, I cannot imagine it would survive an atomic bomb. Are you somhow thinking that is a good way to deal with a single machine and a single pilot? Atomic bombs will destroy almost anything, but there are reasons we don't use them for anything smaller than a city.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-16, 05:00   Link #266
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
can someone give me a summary of what TAROS is?

i cant remember
TAROS stand for Transfer And Response Omni-Sphere.

The TAROS give the possibility to a Whispered to take complete control of a system has seen by Chidori with the TDD-1 or by Leonard in COMO with the LD of the Berial.

The TAROS was also used in the Arbalest to "copy" the brain of Sousuke in the LD/IA to create the base of Al, and I think the TAROS is also used to transfer the thought of the pilot to the LD.
Old 2007-03-16, 10:01   Link #267
Plas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
The TAROS give the possibility to a Whispered to take complete control of a system has seen by Chidori with the TDD-1 or by Leonard in COMO with the LD of the Berial.
Assuming Tessa's the only Whispered Mithril member aboard the TDD-1, who could take directly control of the ship via TAROS if necessary, why does General Borda suggest that she step down and go into research? Wouldn't it be risky not to have a Whispered on board at all times? Is there another Whispered that Borda has in mind who could replace Tessa as Captain?
Old 2007-03-16, 11:56   Link #268
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plas View Post
Assuming Tessa's the only Whispered Mithril member aboard the TDD-1, who could take directly control of the ship via TAROS if necessary, why does General Borda suggest that she step down and go into research? Wouldn't it be risky not to have a Whispered on board at all times? Is there another Whispered that Borda has in mind who could replace Tessa as Captain?
The TAROS is not needed to operate the TDD-1. With the full crew the TDD-1 is able to operate at the same level than with a Whispered in control (as seen in DVMC).

I really think that the TAROS has never been put in the TDD-1 has a way to control it in battle but only as an useful tool to configure the IA and all the system without the need to teach black technology to engineer (and we have seen that the genius from the MIT wasn't able to follow Tessa ).

And Tessa, after the death of Bunny, was the only Whispered left in Mithril this is one of the reason why Jerome Borda wanted Tessa to go to the research department.
Old 2007-03-19, 12:06   Link #269
Plas

Mao & the marines

Does Mao have a tattoo, from her having been in the military and all... ? And what did she do to receive a dishonorable discharge?
Old 2007-03-19, 13:45   Link #270
Miles Teg

We no nothing about what Mao has done for the dishonorable discharge, we only know that after her discharge she has left the USA for Hong-Kong.

If she has a tattoo, it's really well hidden
Old 2007-03-19, 13:51   Link #271
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

screw the discharge... it would be quite funny if we got a full description of her "NAVY bride" scene (she only said it like in... 1-3 lines in COMO >_>)
Old 2007-04-10, 11:26   Link #272
bdragonomega

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere (probably is) but does anyone know the order of releases? Like what I should read first to get the whole storyline in order?

So far this is all i know... not really in order just all I know that is out that deals with the storyline.

Full Metal Panic (I dunno... I only know of the anime and manga... so is there actually a novel that's just full metal panic?)

Full Metal Panic the Second Raid

Full Metal Panic Sigma (comes after second raid? or is second raid?)

Full Metal Panic: Continuing on my Own (novel... dunno where this belongs timeline-wise)

Full Metal Panic: Burning One Man Force (I think this comes after continuing on my own)

Thanks
Old 2007-04-10, 15:16   Link #273
Miles Teg

You should find the information you want in this post ->

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=235
Old 2007-04-10, 18:07   Link #274
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Not sure if anyone else asked...not very story related but this happened in the novels:

When people in TDD was chatting about how they joined mithrill, Mao talked about her running away from a wedding and joined the navy. She said at first the people in the reception was refusing her but when she mentioned her father's in the air force she got accepted immediately.

What's Mao's father has to do with her being accepted? If her father is that famous how come he's not mentioned in the novel?
Old 2007-04-10, 18:13   Link #275
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I don't think she ever mentionned her father's name, but it is kinda the irony of the situation : a bride going to submit in the navy crew, despite that "important day".

we can guess that they assumed mao was serious due her situation.
Old 2007-04-10, 21:25   Link #276
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
Not sure if anyone else asked...not very story related but this happened in the novels:

When people in TDD was chatting about how they joined mithrill, Mao talked about her running away from a wedding and joined the navy. She said at first the people in the reception was refusing her but when she mentioned her father's in the air force she got accepted immediately.

What's Mao's father has to do with her being accepted? If her father is that famous how come he's not mentioned in the novel?
Ah. This requires a bit of understanding on American military culture. Mao's father is a member of a military wing that is competitive rivals with the wing that Mao is trying to sign up for.

Ergo, she was "defecting" to the other side. So they welcomed her with open arms. It was one of the funnier scenes for me, because I got the joke.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-11, 00:03   Link #277
velvet nightmare

basically people in the airforce are thought to be -educated -high tech -formal

marines (she joined the marines, not navy) are the exact opposite: -dumb - low tech -rude

so she joined the marines to spite her father who tried to force her future to marry a rich guy
Old 2007-04-11, 00:42   Link #278
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
basically people in the airforce are thought to be -educated -high tech -formal

marines (she joined the marines, not navy) are the exact opposite: -dumb - low tech -rude

so she joined the marines to spite her father who tried to force her future to marry a rich guy
That partially explains Mao's reasons, but not why the Marines accepted her. As I said, it is about the military culture in the USA, and how the competitiveness can get aggressive between the different wings.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-11, 10:27   Link #279
velvet nightmare

actually it doesnt stem from competition

you dont see any between the navy and air force

it's because the marines are the front line troops, and they're always the ones who die

the airforce simply blow up targets and they get sent in to do the dirty work, same with the navy
Old 2007-04-11, 10:29   Link #280
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
actually it doesnt stem from competition

you dont see any between the navy and air force

it's because the marines are the front line troops, and they're always the ones who die

the airforce simply blow up targets and they get sent in to do the dirty work, same with the navy
I take it that you are not familiar with military jokes then?

Cheers.