AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Delta - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 6 12.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 36.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 22.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 10.20%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 4.08%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.04%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-03, 20:15   Link #21
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The live singing scene was... a bit awkward in general. While I did like that anime, it did remind me more of AKB0048 than I would expect.
So I guess you've never seen a Macross series before?

--

Anyway, great first episode in my opinion. I've voiced a few of my worries about the series in the preview discussion, but I'm open to being wrong.

I like pretty much all of the MC's so far, though I kinda have a problem seeing how Mirage will be a viable part of a love triangle, given how clearly Freyya is running away with the price already. Oh, well. She's a Jenius, she'll overcome, I'm sure.

Anyway, the Knights are pretty much bad guys so far. They probably have "good motives" and "sensible reasons" and all that, but attacking civilian population centers unprovoked is not something you can excuse lightly, no matter how good you think your reasons are.

We'll see how next weeks develops. Fun start, excellent action and the music is growing on me.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2016-04-03 at 20:25.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 20:48   Link #22
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

Anyway, the Knights are pretty much bad guys so far. They probably have "good motives" and "sensible reasons" and all that, but attacking civilian population centers unprovoked is not something you can excuse lightly, no matter how good you think your reasons are.
Given the description they are like the Anti-UN whatever good motivations they have are moot by their actions.

Given the whole nobility thing and attacking colonies comparisons to Zeon would arise.

The NUN is more a Federation now, not a Earth Federation but a United Federation of Planets. Kingdom of Wind motivations likely range from independence to we have no space to grow as the NUN has taken nearby planets that they think is rightfully theirs.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 21:19   Link #23
xeviouses

So Hayates Nightmare dance..what is it? Breakdance or Ballet?
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 21:30   Link #24
Kazu-kun

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Poor Mirage. They don't even get her name right. lol
Old 2016-04-03, 22:49   Link #25
Darthtabby

Did people who didn't see the preview cut catch that Freyja is a Winderemeran? I think the preview cut's choice of end point may have emphasized that bit a little better. Though I guess this cut emphasized that she has special power even if what she is may be easy to miss.

I don't think this is quite as good a "gateway" Macross as Frontier. As someone who has seen previous Macross series I can largely take Walkure's flashy performance on the battlefield in stride but I think it might be too much too fast for a lot of franchise newcomers. Heck, even as a fan of previous Macross series I feel this is pushing it a little even if it is a (semi) logical extension of things the franchise has done previously. Newcomers might also have benefited from a bit more explanation about Macross history and the Zentraedi.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 22:53   Link #26
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
So Hayates Nightmare dance..what is it? Breakdance or Ballet?
TV Tropes: Bullet Dancing.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 23:30   Link #27
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

DDDAAAAMMMNNN! They cut out a lot of the fat (particularly shortening the very slow beginning), and added our MC actually flying a Valkyrie. I can't believe they made it even better than the pre-screening episode.

And yeah, to anyone new to Macross, just keep in mind that in the Macross universe, singing is so powerful that it literally has the power to stop wars (which is the reason why I'm interested THIS series as they prove that the opposite is true... it can start wars as well). I know it's ridiculous, but just as Gundam depends on Minovsky particles (or some derivation thereof depending on the series), one of the major premises of Macross is that singing can have very powerful, mass AoE, magical-like altering effects. It's like they took the DnD Bard class and ramped it up to 11.

You know what I find ironic though? Mikumo's singing voice is only 15 years old, and yet she sings as the 'veteran' of the group. Contrast this to the voice of 'newbie Freyja', who is 20. Not that I mind though; on the contrary, I'm really digging the singing voices of Junta/Suzuki Minori more than I ever did Frontier's May'n/Nakajima Megumi.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 23:48   Link #28
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Checking out the credits, looks like Delta has assistance from the JSDF again. Good, this means we will get plenty of details on aerodynamics once more.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 23:57   Link #29
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The live singing scene was... a bit awkward in general. While I did like that anime, it did remind me more of AKB0048 than I would expect....
It's as if it's all one franchise, with AKB0048 taking off from Macross and now Macross Delta taking off from there again. I never found AKB0048 as engaging as I did Macross Frontier, and the singing here seemed to take a while to get itself going. But it ended up feeling powerful and true, to me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 01:00   Link #30
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The way I see it, singing = power isn't all that out there with the shows that have existed. All the Macross to this point (though to be fair I've basically just seen Frontier), AKB0048, hell the entire Symphogear franchise, etc.

A solid first episode. Like the MC overall. Not a bad guy. Someone who has been struggling though to find where he belongs. Though props to his mech dancing skills .

I know love triangles are pretty consistent for Macross but...I'm going to struggle to see a legitimate counter for Hayate and Freyja . Seems like an entertaining pair honestly.

Good start. Some crazy stuff going on in those fights to be sure.
Old 2016-04-04, 01:44   Link #31
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Given the description they are like the Anti-UN whatever good motivations they have are moot by their actions.

Given the whole nobility thing and attacking colonies comparisons to Zeon would arise.

The NUN is more a Federation now, not a Earth Federation but a United Federation of Planets. Kingdom of Wind motivations likely range from independence to we have no space to grow as the NUN has taken nearby planets that they think is rightfully theirs.
Or coup happened and the once allied kingdom is now trying to "beat back the invaders".
Old 2016-04-04, 02:03   Link #32
wissenschaft

Ah, Macross. How I missed you. More pop songs to go with my glorious mecha action. Fun times. A pretty strong start for the show.

Mikumo better step up her game because Freyja is stealing the show. Shes quite the cute little loli lol
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 02:43   Link #33
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Did people who didn't see the preview cut catch that Freyja is a Winderemeran? I think the preview cut's choice of end point may have emphasized that bit a little better. Though I guess this cut emphasized that she has special power even if what she is may be easy to miss.
It's there, Hayate mentions it when she starts singing and running toward the Walkures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I don't think this is quite as good a "gateway" Macross as Frontier. As someone who has seen previous Macross series I can largely take Walkure's flashy performance on the battlefield in stride but I think it might be too much too fast for a lot of franchise newcomers. Heck, even as a fan of previous Macross series I feel this is pushing it a little even if it is a (semi) logical extension of things the franchise has done previously. Newcomers might also have benefited from a bit more explanation about Macross history and the Zentraedi.
I don't think it's particularly difficult to get into. Macross series in general are pretty good at making the basic setting easy to understand. In this case, humans in space, planets colonized, strange "epidemic" where people go crazy, MAGICAL GIRL IDOLS AND FLASHY MECHA TO THE RESCUE, also some random pretty boy squad out of nowhere but we'll get back to that later. Obviously if someone expects realistic fights they're going to be surprised, but I don't think Macross was ever about realistic fights, really.

(Then again, my gateway Macross series was Macross 7, so my perspective is probably skewed. )

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2016-04-04 at 03:22.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 03:35   Link #34
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Checking out the credits, looks like Delta has assistance from the JSDF again. Good, this means we will get plenty of details on aerodynamics once more.

- Tak
but will it now surpass Sentou Yousei Yukikaze in the realism involving fictional equipment department? the dancing too?
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 03:38   Link #35
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
(Then again, my gateway Macross series was Macross 7, so my perspective is probably skewed. )
According to Kawamori, your perspective should be fine coz Macross 7 is the Macross series that he's been wanting to make as both SDF & DYRL still somewhat disappointed him.

But since my first foray into the franchise is the very first SDF, I tend to prefer the Ace Combat-element. I'm still fine with the pop-songs (and Fire Bomber's rock songs, hell yeah!!). But dancing valks and dancing idols on the battlefield......... *shakes head*
Old 2016-04-04, 03:49   Link #36
Tenzen12

Great episode, it's not like I didn't expected (watching preview and stuff) but so far best premiere. Well after both Hayate and Freya get drafted, he should spend more valuable time with Mirage, I am really looking forward to it.
Old 2016-04-04, 04:21   Link #37
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Obviously if someone expects realistic fights they're going to be surprised, but I don't think Macross was ever about realistic fights, really.
Well, there is a bit more thought put into the mechanics of Macross than with other mecha (even Gundam), and since Valkyries are one of the central appeals of the franchise people who enter Macross looking for mecha dogfighting action expect to see more of it, especially in the wake of Macross Plus that was pretty much Advanced Tactical Fighter: The Anime.

Basically it's just like people who like beef eating stew for the first time and liking it, then later seeing a stew with a lot more beef than normal, and then they expect that every stew cooked in the future should have more and more beef as well. However, it should be remembered that there are people like me who also like the stew to have lots of potatoes in it

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 06:24   Link #38
xeviouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
TV Tropes: Bullet Dancing.
Not quite it, that trope (and I curse you for making me lose three hours of my life) applies to the frantic leg hopping done to avoid bullets. What Hayate did was an actual routine plus his Bullet Dance looks to be actual steps.

I love Macross just as much as I love Gundam but, for some reason I'm having a hard time accepting this series and its not because of the semi-magical singing. (Macross 7 was ok in my book) Seems my threshold is the dancing Valks...

Also for some reason I'm hoping Hayate keeps the Nightmare, the Siegfried is awesome no doubt, but the VF-17 needs more love.
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 06:45   Link #39
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Man, even if Episode 1 has added scenes like Hayate Immelman jumping into a Valkyrie and kicking ass, this episode ends with a cliffhanger!

C'mon Kawamori-san, I want more on the next episode!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 07:42   Link #40
Cerilla

We meet again, Macross. That was a fun episode. Wion is such a darling.

The battle/concert feels like more over-the-top AKB0048. I can't get enough of those hologram backup dancer. Also, you can't go wrong with breakdancing Valks.

Giri Giri Ai is a fun and great song. I am listening to it as I type this

I rate this episode Macross/10. Shame that option isn't in the poll