AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-22, 03:38   Link #621
pyormin

10/10 , A masterpeice , and manga is really good too..read it if you have a chance.
pyormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 08:25   Link #622
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
The Space Ninjas perhaps?
That was actually quite funny and I would have missed it.
Maybe referring to younger audiences wasn't the right choice to express my thoughts. I better should have said that they should have been more focused on certain more serious parts of the story for the whole 26 episodes. Keep it more like the manga, you would easily understand what I mean with that if you have read it.
Space Ninja where in one episode, and a quite silly too... I didn't like it either but... have you seen how they develop even those character in the end? (very briefly indeed, )
I've read the manga and is great, but is very different from the anime version with the exception of few episodic chapter (for example Tanabe is integrated in the plot from beginning, in the anime, and she is very different in both characterization and meaning). Different choice for the two productions with the anime more focused on story and development and the manga more episodic and... [i]philosophic[(/i]. Both great and with their own meaning and style.

Quote:
Sorry again for the crappy English.
well...then what I have to say about mine? ;_;
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 09:05   Link #623
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Now that's a bold claim. Say what you wish about Hachimaki but he at least has a distinct personality, something that many an anime character lack totally. I am curious why you dislike him so much.
He is stuborn, childish, single minded, shouts and uses violence when others disagree with him. First he treats Tanabe like crap, then suddenly he finds out he likes her and then he just discards her because he wants to go to jupiter. Instead of thanking all the people that were there when he was suffering from that space disorder thing, the smart Hachimaki gets to the conclusion that friendship, family and love isnt what saved him but that "fast and powerful" von braun engine. How selfish can a person be? So now he decides to discard his "humanity" and treats every other person like trash... goes to the extent of ignoring ppl in danger willing to leave them to die or kill them if it helped him to get on that spaceship. But this doesnt last long and soon he finds out that he isnt happy being alone and what did he do? Few weeks before leaving he selfishly asks Tanabe to marry him, get her pregnant and leaves for Jupiter for 7 years >.<

There is simply nothing i like from Hachimaki.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 10:05   Link #624
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
hen suddenly he finds out he likes her
Suddenly? Really?

Quote:
So now he decides to discard his "humanity" and treats every other person like trash... goes to the extent of ignoring ppl in danger willing to leave them to die or kill them if it helped him to get on that spaceship.
So he thought that ends justify the means for a while. Big deal. He changed his mind in the end, did he? But somehow this is also a point against him. Why do I have the suspicion that if he didn't marry Tanabe there would have been plenty of people outraged by that, too. Damned if does, damned if he doesn't.
Not to mention that Tanabe's "love is the answer to everything" mantra is no less onesided and inflexible than Hachimaki's "the ends justify the means" but for some reason I don't see you bash her. Even though he saw the error of his ways (to an extent at least) while she had to be saved by Deus Ex Machina after getting into trouble due to sticking to her philosophy.
Now, of course, two wrongs don't make it right but for me, part of the beauty of Planetes is that the characters are flawed. While a lot of what you say about Hachimaki is true, there are other sides to his character. once he takes a decision he follows his dream to go to Jupiter relentlessly, I really don't see what's wrong with that, once he overcame the Locksmith mentality which plagued him in several episodes. If you were to pick a totally unlikeable character from Planetes, it will have to be this same Locksmith. Now that's a grade A bastard, if there ever was one.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 11:42   Link #625
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Your trying to make Hachimaki look good by comparing him with others flaws but that doesnt change anything of what i said.

You mentioned his determination as a good point. Determination can be used with good intentions or bad ones. A terrorist carrying a bomb attached to him has plenty of determination but that doesnt mean it is something good. Hachimakis intentions were good but he was definitly taking the wrong way to achive his objectives. He quit his job without saying anything to his friends, coworkers or even his girlfriend so that HE could focus on his new goal. He might not care about others but that doesnt mean others wont worry about him. And the fact that he was willing to kill other human beings that hindered his goals made me dislike him even more. What kind of sick determination is it that needs you to kill someone to prove it?

Again... im the one that doesnt like this kind of person... if you do then good for you.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 01:53   Link #626
Theowne
耳をすませば

Great series indeed. My full review is here. I found this anime really moving and satisfying in the last half. I think that the beginning of this anime is a bit slow and will drive off a lot of the audience, which is a shame because when I finished it, I really did have to sit back for a moment and reflect, that maybe this was something special.

I can see by the debate going on here that it didn't appeal to everyone in quite the same way. For me personally, all I can say is that it has entered my top 10 for sure.

Apart from the characters and character development, I like the absence of clear morality in the show. The terrorists aren't portrayed as faceless villains. The anime actually makes you sympathize and understand them even as you are disgusted by the violence they perpetrate. Tanabe's morality also would have gotten them killed if they hadn't been saved by the shuttle bus.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-08-09 at 12:00.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 03:34   Link #627
firehawk12

I agree with you, but I'm still kind of mixed on the ending, specifically the segment on the moon.

It was simultaneously very moving but also very hamfisted I think it was the first time I was crying and rolling my eyes at the same time. :lol:

But either way, it's at the top of my SF list - regardless of medium.
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 06:49   Link #628
ShatteredHope
Doomed Forever

Resurrecting an old thread!

Rewatching Planetes in Blu-ray...

And I was VERY amused that the "Orange Pocket" tickets in episode 9.... were REALLY talking about the Church of Scientology.

The text is too small to read on the DVD release. Thanks to the Blu-ray release we can now see the religious undertones of this great series! ^_^

Or something like that. XD
ShatteredHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 21:31   Link #629
Jehuty

Totally bringing back this old thread for this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40797342...ace/?gt1=43001

Y'know, it looks like the scenarios seen in the anime may not be that far into the future after all...
Old 2011-01-12, 07:48   Link #630
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Planetes is one of my first recommendations for those new to anime.

I do however feel bad that I may be spoiling them straight up... Maybe not!

I loved the ending of Plantes the word game was just a beautiful scene and how it ended almost brought a tear to my eye. It left me wanting to know so much more about the characters and that's a big thing for me.

Definitely one of my all time favourite television shows.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-02, 12:43   Link #631
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Space junk reaching tipping point, Kessler warns
Quote:
Cape Canaveral, Florida [Sept 1, 2011 (Thu)]: The amount of debris orbiting the Earth has reached "a tipping point" for collisions, which would in turn generate more of the debris that threatens astronauts and satellites, according to a study released today in the United States.

Nasa needs a new strategic plan for mitigating the hazards posed by spent rocket bodies, discarded satellites and thousands of other pieces of junk flying around the planet at speeds of 28,000kmh (7.7km per sec), the National Research Council said in the study.

The world's first space smash-up occurred in 2009 when a working Iridium communications satellite and a non-operational Russian satellite collided 790km over Siberia, generating thousands of new pieces of orbital debris. The amount of orbital debris tracked by the US Space Surveillance Network jumped from 9,949 catalogued objects in December 2006 to 16,094 in July this year.

"The current space environment is growing increasingly hazardous to spacecraft and astronauts," Mr Donald Kessler, the former head of Nasa's Orbital Debris Program Office who chaired the study team, said in a statement.

REUTERS
Time to make Toy Box a reality, perhaps?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 23:39   Link #632
Hollowgolem

Preachy as it was, the series did make some good points. Some of them about geopolitics, some of them about science and space exploration, and some of them about humanity's drives, as individuals and societies (the bits with Tsiolkovsky's quote in the anime especially; "He made his personal dream the duty of humanity," or something like that, was Hachimaki's comment, as I recall).

That's the importance of good art, I think. It looks forward to where humanity is going to be, and gives warnings. In Western art, titles like Brave New World and many of Aristotle's plays (Ἀχαρνῆς, especially, and in an unexpected way Λυσιστράτη, which was kinda sorta reenacted a couple of years ago) give warnings about human nature that have been variously ignored and heeded, to the peril or benefit of those involved.

Just because they're in newer media, we can't afford to not think of things like manga, comics, novels, television series, movies, and anime as profound and capable of providing important insights into the world.

And, of course, it's not like Planetes made up Kessler Syndrome. In fact, here is Kessler's own response to the collision two years ago. The problem, of course, is that the driving forces behind space exploration right now are competitive. They either involve money (especially telecommunications money) or national security concerns right now. Neither of these tend to be pursued with anything that resembles careful planning or moderation.

Remember that Planetes, treating the people dealing with the debris as pariahs, as undesirables relative to the rest of the crew on ISPV7 was being optimistic. It's looking much more likely that we'll just fill the whole atmosphere with so much debris meaningful space exploration won't be possible until enough stuff has significant orbit decay. Worst-case, a bunch of the satellites already in place come a-crashing down as well, and we drop back 70 years for as long as it takes for the 800-1000 km. range above the planet to clear out.

Our carelessness might just trap us on our pale blue dot.
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 19:47   Link #633
Gpower

http://qz.com/78283/could-taking-dow...aunching-them/

Space junk will never be a problem and this entire concept is fictitious? The European Space Agency disagrees.
Gpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 04:51   Link #634
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

What might a Hollywood version of Planetes look like?

Maybe like this:

Gravity

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Sandra Bullock portrays Dr Ryan Stone, a medical engineer on her maiden voyage to space. Midway through the mission, the shuttle is completely destroyed when stray pieces of debris hit them. Communication with Earth gets cut off. The only way back home is to venture farther out into the blackest of black in the vast void of outer space...
As it were, a couple of scenes from the trailer above already remind me heavily of Planetes: the opening one with a loose piece of debris hurtling towards the shuttle, and the closing one with Bullock's character spinning into space. Both scenes were also enacted in the anime, albeit in entirely different contexts.

Gravity opens on Oct 4, 2013 (Fri).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-05, 09:13   Link #635
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

pretty good series. The themes seemed well done to the point it reminded me of Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 when Dante starts talking about the unfair births across the world to which Edward can't think of an answer to that.

Gotta say I think the romance was better handled in the manga than in the anime. While Hachi and Tanabe get some nice scenes, as soon as the former quits the job for Jupiter, the darker atmosphere makes it look a bit like toxic love. It didn't help that Hachi once vented on Tanabe for his mentor's death.

Still I gotta admit the romance was better written in Planetes than Vinland Saga
Spoiler for season 3 spoiler:
Old 2023-07-10, 06:31   Link #636
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I reread the manga and found it way different from the anime. Hachimaki feels a lot nicer in the manga and doesn't pull the trigger the trigger. In the anime, he is almost Inuyasha and actually pulls the trigger only to realize there were no longer bullets.