AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-07-07, 18:09   Link #21
martino
makes no files now

May someone enlighten me please, how is fansubbers.org failing? (After reading this thread I don't see what is so wrong with it)

/me thought that it serves its purpose fairly well
Old 2007-07-07, 18:29   Link #22
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Why does everything have to turn into, some kind of contest in regards to fansubs... One guy makes a resource site, some ppl complain about whats bad instead of highlighting whats good. Next a bunch of other ppl go and make their own sites to compete with someone who was just trying to be helpful...

I think we were actually trying to be helpful - what was highlighted by this thread was that the fansubbers.org recruitment base doesn't work in its current form. Then, a number of us suggested what they thought might be useful to see (not necessarily on the fansubbers.org site, not with regards to the whole idea of recruiting posts on websites).

Where exactly did this turn into a contest, might I ask?
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 22:03   Link #23
Ayanami9870
ANBU Editor/QC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Okay, I don't know how workable this is, but perhaps a rethink is needed. This idea would only take off if a number of fansubbers took part in the creation of the site, and therefore it would make it pretty difficult to start up - yet, it could be a better method.

I propose, rather than making it solely a place where ads from groups are put up, make it something more personal, and let every potential fansubber who joins have a profile that would look something like this:

Name: FalseDawn
Position: Editor/Timer/QC
Current groups: Umai, Ureshii, Solar (etc.)

etc.

Then, we could have a status - such as "Looking for new project" - "Not looking but open to requests" - and "Do not bother this subber." And perhaps, a list of upcoming projects they are looking forward to potentially work on in the upcoming seasons. Mine would look like:

Projects I'd Like To Sub: Baccano! Clannad (Toei Movie), Nanatsuiro Drops (etc.)

You could also have group profiles, detailing projects groups would like to work on and what positions they're looking for (it would be up to the group to edit the page - possibly a passworded wiki).

However, I envisage downfalls in this idea. For example, unsolicited PMs becoming more rife (perhaps there could be some sort of customisable filter could handle this?) and the sheer number of groups/individuals you would need to join to make such an idea workable - especially the number of translators, as they will be (as they always are) the most sought after. To be honest, this is a pipe dream and I think you'd have to sacrifice a whole lot of time working on a site that could do all that.

And yet, I live in hope that something as awesome as that could be created. It'd certainly make the fansubbing world feel a lot more cosy

*sits back and waits to be flamed*

That's definitely some great advice there. It's brainstorming like this that the site needs to reach the next level. If you just want to message any of the subwiki staff directly, just fill out the contact form here. This link is also on the front page:

http://www.fansubbers.org/index.php/Main/Contact

For the record, I do not host the site, or the domain. As it stands, I am merely the creator. I intend the site to outlast me and be inherited by others for use over the years so long as fansubbing is viable. The current goal, therefore, is to give it functionality. The wiki engine itself has limitations, so we'll see how much can actually be implemented.
Ayanami9870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 01:03   Link #24
Genjo
Genjo-Subs Founder
*Fansubber

umm i think theres a problem on fansubbers.org? beause i keep getting this.

Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: markupclose() in /home/ris2002/public_html/wiki/scripts/stdmarkup.php on line 393
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pvse() in /home/ris2002/public_html/wiki/pmwiki.php(1193) : regexp code on line 1
Genjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 05:06   Link #25
Ayanami9870
ANBU Editor/QC
*Fansubber

Nothing's wrong. I just gave the site a version upgrade from 2.15 to 2.20. It was temporarily down at the time while I cleared out the bugs.

I've been looking at what the site is capable of and False Dawn's suggestions are actually quite difficult to replicate 100%. It's one thing to create subber profiles and group profiles, but I don't think there is a way to individually password-protect them all or create individual login accounts for them. I also can't figure out how to make the wiki dynamically generate a listing that changes based on how people change their profile pages. Even Wikipedia can't do that. This is going to take some help.

PHP coding experts, anyone?
Ayanami9870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 12:28   Link #26
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
The thing we are aiming for is a Craigslist style website.
Old 2007-07-08, 14:28   Link #27
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayanami9870 View Post
False Dawn's suggestions are actually quite difficult to replicate 100%.

Yeah, as I said, I thought it would be pretty difficult to do things like password-protecting and other such ideas - as I don't know much about the workings of wiki or similar online editable sites like that, I don't know how far my original idea is workable. Thanks for trying though, Ayanami - I appreciate the time you've taken to try out my ideas
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 18:19   Link #28
Starks
*Scanlator

Like I said, let's not reinvent the wheel here...
Old 2007-07-13, 17:31   Link #29
GacekSSJ4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayanami9870 View Post
Nothing's wrong. I just gave the site a version upgrade from 2.15 to 2.20. It was temporarily down at the time while I cleared out the bugs.

I've been looking at what the site is capable of and False Dawn's suggestions are actually quite difficult to replicate 100%. It's one thing to create subber profiles and group profiles, but I don't think there is a way to individually password-protect them all or create individual login accounts for them. I also can't figure out how to make the wiki dynamically generate a listing that changes based on how people change their profile pages. Even Wikipedia can't do that. This is going to take some help.

PHP coding experts, anyone?
You don't have to be great expert i think, my page i wrote to learn PHP and it's working, and changing as users change profiles.
Old 2007-07-14, 12:27   Link #30
Starks
*Scanlator

I think it's cool how I was able to bring this to everyone's attention, but the real test is getting the message out to the groups so they know about the sites.
Old 2007-07-14, 14:39   Link #31
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlannY View Post
So... Is there any other method for hiring translators, other than fansubbers.org?
This forum.
Old 2007-07-14, 15:00   Link #32
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
This forum.
Add Anime-Planet's Forum to that, and the HongFire Forums have a section too...
Old 2007-08-28, 22:29   Link #33
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

I've found that anyone asking for a translator will just get ignored no matter where they ask. When I started some group a very long time ago that use to offer staff to groups needing staff I purposely made it very clear we would not offer translators. The reason for this was any group that has no translator at all isn't really worth taking seriously. Sorry if that sounds snobbish, but that is the general thought if the scene. Or it was when I was active, just guessing it still is.

If a translator wishes for more work they will go looking for it themselves, and offer their free time up publicly. The same is true with most really experienced fansubbers. I think a great idea would be to have a multi part section on FS.org with each "task" type of the process in cat.'s that freelancers can offer up their services. Along with the offer they can give descriptions of what genre of anime they most want to work on or the specific anime itself.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote