AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your Political beliefs?
Republican/Conservative 5 50.00%
Liberal/Democrat 3 30.00%
Independent 2 20.00%
Who cares about politics? (None) 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-08-02, 03:15   Link #1
averygamerdude

What are your political beliefs?

I'm personally a liberal/democrat. Or whatever you want. I'm curious, how about you?
averygamerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-04, 15:27   Link #2
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Most people don't know shit about labels

Since we're using America as the basis for the poll based on the terms, Republican is not necessarily conservative and Democrat is not necessarily liberal. It's foolish to even describe your positions to "less government" or "more government." You're better off listing the policies you believe and then living with the fact not everything is going to be consistent with whatever ideology you think you must ascribe to

America must change to a medicare for all system as it cannot afford not to do so, actions that properly deal with man-made climate change must be taken for both environmental and capital investment, it must end its militarism and stop waging offensive wars, it must create a standard of living that could at least guarantee that someone working on the minimum wage can afford to rent one-bedroom apartment without paying over 30% of their income, and at a minimum it must pass a universal background check on the purchase of firearms. These are not beliefs; they are facts. I care not if I would have to walk with elected Republicans to get these passed, but the moment you tie down your beliefs to parties or even ideologies, you've lost the plot

I care not for people's denial of reality; you still deserve a minimum standard of living. You know friends and family who would be sent overseas as pawns on a global chess board. You still need a habitable planet to live on. Whatever may compel the common man to defend the oligarchy as it is now, understand those people will not recognize you. They will not support you. You will not be part of their club. You're only part of one club called America, and rest assured the people fighting for these policies on your behalf shall not attack you figuratively or legislatively; they work for you
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-04, 18:46   Link #3
Top Sergeant

I'm very grateful for the extra 12% I'm bringing home every paycheck thanks to the payroll tax cut.
Old 2018-08-04, 23:15   Link #4
averygamerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Most people don't know shit about labels

Since we're using America as the basis for the poll based on the terms, Republican is not necessarily conservative and Democrat is not necessarily liberal. It's foolish to even describe your positions to "less government" or "more government." You're better off listing the policies you believe and then living with the fact not everything is going to be consistent with whatever ideology you think you must ascribe to

America must change to a medicare for all system as it cannot afford not to do so, actions that properly deal with man-made climate change must be taken for both environmental and capital investment, it must end its militarism and stop waging offensive wars, it must create a standard of living that could at least guarantee that someone working on the minimum wage can afford to rent one-bedroom apartment without paying over 30% of their income, and at a minimum it must pass a universal background check on the purchase of firearms. These are not beliefs; they are facts. I care not if I would have to walk with elected Republicans to get these passed, but the moment you tie down your beliefs to parties or even ideologies, you've lost the plot

I care not for people's denial of reality; you still deserve a minimum standard of living. You know friends and family who would be sent overseas as pawns on a global chess board. You still need a habitable planet to live on. Whatever may compel the common man to defend the oligarchy as it is now, understand those people will not recognize you. They will not support you. You will not be part of their club. You're only part of one club called America, and rest assured the people fighting for these policies on your behalf shall not attack you figuratively or legislatively; they work for you
I like the way you think.
averygamerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-10, 01:52   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
As a Libertarian, I think I'd probably take the independent option.

I differ from a lot of political activism in that I don't really think we should be out to change the world or fix every problem, or lead you all onto some kind of utopian platform. But we should try to not cause new ones. We live in a very ban-happy society, from banning words to banning straws, to banning even who you can love and marry. We target sex workers and drug addicts not because we want to help them, but because "they broke the rules". Someone's parents carried them across an imaginary line, and they should be treated as subhuman because of this. Never mind the fact it was our interventionist policies that probably forced them to abandon their homes in the first place.

And this really shows. In the country I live in, the US, we throw a ton of people in jail, thanks to mandatory sentencing. Now, I would hope that people would agree that dangerous individuals need to be put away, but a lot of this is nonviolent drug offenses.

And giving so much power to enforcement has taken its toll. Under the pretense of drugs, Police are able to target minorities and the poor under the "suspicion" (not even) having drugs. Meanwhile, ICE can just detain and capture people as long as they think they're illegal immigrants, and the TSA gets to grab you because you might just be a terrorist. Meanwhile, the NSA can listen on your phone calls because you know, scary people.

Some may say that encroachment on liberty is merely a slippery slope, but it's hard to not be worried. When Austria banned the Burqua, I thought that was unfairly prejudiced against Islam. But people told me it was okay because burqas are sexist and that it would be good to discourage this practice. Not even a year later , they're shutting down mosques. But it gets worse. So how will people answer to that? Trump's been going off about illegal immigrants. It's okay, because illegal immigrants devalue legal immigrants. Surely he'd not do anything towards virtuous hard working people that want to come legally. Are you really buying that crap?

In the end, what might have had good intentions is subject to abuse. Humans are imperfect after all, and none should be able to wield so much power, regardless of they wield a badge or they shitpost on Twitter from the White House. Instruments of fear such as ICE have no place in a free society. Nor does unlimited surveillance. In the end, just think of this noteworthy poem and remember that just because it's not you today, it doesn't mean it's not your problem.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2018-08-10 at 02:08.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-14, 10:33   Link #6
Heep
Big third leg

Cant vote since there is no left choice.
Heep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-14, 13:59   Link #7
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

If you want more ~left then I'd recommend voting democrats, assuming you're American. I understand that they're far from ideal but politics is a process of small steps. Many countries have shifted to the right, turning the left into middle-right and the right into extremists. In order to get this back into order we first have to turn the left into the middle and the extremists into something less extreme. THEN we can think about changing it to middle-left and right.

This will take years of hard voting. It's extremely easy to lapse back but in order to change the mentality of people (people, not just voters) it's unavoidable to go through the process one step at a time. And since it cannot be repeated enough times, don't stay at home on voting day.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote