AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-23, 21:04   Link #161
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'll check out light soy sauce. I don't want it too salty. I'll have half chicken broth, half beef stock. I might just buy some chicken stock, actually. The chicken broth will still be put to use (I used some for brown rice and it turned out good).
That's how I make chicken rice. Instead of water, I use chicken broth to cook the rice. Super yummy.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 21:12   Link #162
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
That's how I make chicken rice. Instead of water, I use chicken broth to cook the rice. Super yummy.
For white rice as a side dish, and as plain, I like a bit of soy sauce on it. For brown rice, I like to use chicken stock or chicken broth to give it enhanced flavor. If I use chicken stock with brown rice, I add a bit of salt to it, but not too much.
Old 2012-04-23, 21:17   Link #163
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
For white rice as a side dish, and as plain, I like a bit of soy sauce on it. For brown rice, I like to use chicken stock or chicken broth to give it enhanced flavor. If I use chicken stock with brown rice, I add a bit of salt to it, but not too much.
Yeah, you definitely need to enhance the flavour for brown rice, or else, it will be difficult chewing weird tasteless crunchy texture. Adding too much salt to brown rice will defeat the purpose of eating it for its nutritional value.

Old 2012-04-23, 22:15   Link #164
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Reduced sodium soy sauce tastes nasty as hell, so I just use my soy sauce parsimoniously and ensure that I don't add too much kosher salt when cooking the dish beforehand.
Old 2012-04-23, 23:00   Link #165
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Reduced sodium soy sauce tastes nasty
So does low sodium V8 juice. The stuff she recommended to me isn't low sodium, though.

Is kosher salt better than Morton salt for any reason? Kosher salt is natural and a bit less sodium and salt with iodine is not completely natural? I'm just guessing, but I've seen people say to use kosher salt in recipes, specifically citing it, and I don't know what makes it preferable.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:10   Link #166
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Kosher salt tastes better than table salt, and it's easier to use from a salt cellar. I love salt cellars. They are so much better than shakers or grinders for cooking.

Sea salt also has a very different taste. Sea salt is good to use if you want to watch your sodium intake, because it's actually made up of several types of salt, many of which do not contain sodium ions.
Old 2012-04-24, 20:52   Link #167
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'll have to look for kosher salt sometime. I'd like to see how it tastes better. I figured it just taste the same as table salt.

Got an idea for a marinade I want to try sometime soon. Soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, pineapple juice, and fresh minced garlic. Try that on some meat. I was thinking of trying it on boneless pork chops. Let it marinate for 1-2 days. Could be really good.
Old 2012-04-24, 22:32   Link #168
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

You don't want to marinate for more than 24 hours or the meat will be cooked by the acid, which may cause it to get overcooked when you put it on the heat. Acid can cook meat pretty darn quickly.

Fresh pineapple (and its juice) also contains bromelain, a natural enzyme that tenderizes meat. If you leave meat in the presence of that enzyme too long it will get mushy and gross. If you want to use pineapple juice as part of a marinade, use canned pineapples or juice because the enzyme is destroyed during the canning process.
Old 2012-04-24, 23:05   Link #169
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
You don't want to marinate for more than 24 hours or the meat will be cooked by the acid, which may cause it to get overcooked when you put it on the heat. Acid can cook meat pretty darn quickly.

Fresh pineapple (and its juice) also contains bromelain, a natural enzyme that tenderizes meat. If you leave meat in the presence of that enzyme too long it will get mushy and gross. If you want to use pineapple juice as part of a marinade, use canned pineapples or juice because the enzyme is destroyed during the canning process.
Thanks for the pointers. It is tiny cans of Dole canned pineapple juice, so it should be fine.

I think I might just leave out the balsamic vinegar and just use the other three components. Will the soy sauce tenderize the meat, too? Does anyone think I should add a bit of vinegar in it, too, or would the flavors be the best with just pineapple juice, soy sauce, and garlic?
Old 2012-04-24, 23:08   Link #170
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Just made some Salted Caramel Slice. Waiting for it to cool before I can cut it... Can't wait.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 23:21   Link #171
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers. It is tiny cans of Dole canned pineapple juice, so it should be fine.

I think I might just leave out the balsamic vinegar and just use the other three components. Will the soy sauce tenderize the meat, too? Does anyone think I should add a bit of vinegar in it, too, or would the flavors be the best with just pineapple juice, soy sauce, and garlic?
You need acid for it to be a marinade. You could also brine it, which uses salt instead of acid to alter the meat's flavor and cooking time.

My roommate makes a brine using kosher salt, Chinese five-spice, star anise, cinnamon, crushed garlic and soy sauce. It's a bit Asian-y though, so if you're doing something beyond just a roast, it's best to use a different flavorful liquid.

I use my own brine which is more general: water, kosher salt, crushed garlic cloves, black pepper, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, rosemary, marjoram, olive oil and white wine. Boil the alcohol out and dissolve the salt--it takes quite a lot--into the water, then let it cool. Then put the meat into it and let it brine overnight.

Make sure you rinse it well before cooking else it'll be very salty.
Old 2012-04-25, 02:12   Link #172
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

Make sure you rinse it well before cooking else it'll be very salty.
You are talking about the brine you make, right? For this week, I'm not going to make a brine, just gonna try the soy sauce marinade. I might as well add some balsamic vinegar, I have a bunch of that to use.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:49   Link #173
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

hey i can't cook much, but sometimes when my parents are out of town,then what can you do
i can make an omlete, get some bread and there one time meal ready
once i was breaking an egg in the frying pan and it broke in my hand ,that was really messy
Old 2012-05-03, 12:53   Link #174
zprime

Quote:
I'll check out light soy sauce. I don't want it too salty. I'll have half chicken broth, half beef stock. I might just buy some chicken stock, actually. The chicken broth will still be put to use (I used some for brown rice and it turned out good).
If I may suggest, do not use light soy sauce.

Use the regular, but decrease the volume used.
1 tbsp-> 1/2 tbsp or even less.
Also, to replace the soy sauce wih chicken broth/beef broth is a great idea because usually they come packed with salt.(if they are premade like campbell or similar item)

I generally don't cook with salt out of preference, because the ingredients these days (even chicken meat is soaked in saline) already have salt in them.
zprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 11:31   Link #175
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Was craving for this, so I forced myself to make some. Fried anchovies/nuts + sambal

Old 2012-05-04, 13:31   Link #176
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Was craving for this, so I forced myself to make some. Fried anchovies/nuts + sambal

Is it sweet and spicy?! I love sweet and spicy!!! abd also plain fried anchovies ( tuyong dilis) with garlic and onions is one of my favorite morning breakfast!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:03   Link #177
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Yup, there are many versions but I happen to like sweet and spicy version. Oh yes, anything with plain fried anchovies is good enough for me!

Old 2012-05-04, 16:35   Link #178
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

You're both from Malaysia, right? Must be a thing you guys like to eat there. Fried anchovies is so foreign of a food item to me.
Old 2012-05-04, 16:42   Link #179
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
You're both from Malaysia, right? Must be a thing you guys like to eat there. Fried anchovies is so foreign of a food item to me.
It's hard to get it in the UK and even if you manage to get it, it's really expensive. So fried anchovies is like a luxurious food to me.

Old 2012-05-04, 17:24   Link #180
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I'm Filipino. Dried Anchovies is like a special of the needy people like me. I know a neighbor of us that eats dried anchovies every day!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote