AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-01, 21:37   Link #1
Alen

Anime like Death Note? (hear me out)

I had long hesitated to start watching Death Note but, damn, am I glad I did. One of my new favorites.

Basically, what I loved about it was the fact that it always had me guessing as to what the hell was gonna happen next. What is Light going to do? How is L going to respond? What new twist is coming up (seemed like there was one every 3 episodes!)? I also liked the confidence and 'non whininess' of Light. Honestly, it was the only show I've ever seen that had me going "What in the world is going to happen now?" and I HAD to keep watching to find out.

Maybe it was just me? Anyone else who felt this way about it have any recommendations?

Also I would prefer it to have a similar atmosphere...the kinda foreboding feeling.
Old 2011-07-01, 21:55   Link #2
Westlo
Lets be reality

Steins;Gate perhaps? Kinda going out on a limb here since the first half isn't exactly what you're after (mostly build up) but from the snippets I've caught about the second.. it might just fill your "What in the world is going to happen now?" quota.

Seen Madoka as well?
Old 2011-07-01, 22:32   Link #3
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

It's been awhile since I watched Death Note, so I can't say with 100% certainty that it is like it, but how about Code Geass?

I know a lot of people put Code Geass and Death Note together into the whole "Mind Game" category, which it sounds like is what you want. You want that whole "what is coming next" thing, and Code Geass certainly has a lot of that also. Along with plenty of plot twists that make you go "Oh man, I gotta watch the next episode to see how it'll end."

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2011-07-01, 22:39   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'll second both Code Geass and Steins;gate, they both fit to some fairly large degree anyways.
MAL
Old 2011-07-02, 03:57   Link #5
Aqua Knight

Code Geass definitely to watch after Death Note.

But Steins;Gate,well, it fits but not as perfectly as CG.
Old 2011-07-02, 05:41   Link #6
Wakan Tanka

Maybe Ergo Proxy.
Old 2011-07-02, 11:14   Link #7
Alen

Seen Ergo Proxy, liked it. Guess I'll try Code Geass.
Old 2011-07-02, 14:32   Link #8
ArrowSmith

Answer is there is nothing like Death Note.
Old 2011-07-02, 14:55   Link #9
Alen

^ Thats what I'm thinking because nothing else I've watched has given me the same feeling. But it can't hurt to try Code Geass.
Old 2011-07-02, 15:14   Link #10
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
What about Steins;Gate? Seriously? Are you just gonna ignore it even though it was suggested twice?

.. You really do want to watch S;G, I assure you.
Old 2011-07-02, 15:45   Link #11
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

nuh-uh here's the correct answer: go watch liar game. it's jdrama but it has really good pacing. Like seriously, if you think you can't get into j-dramas the j-drama you should try is this one.

i personally was bored by dn half the time since it's pace is slow and whatnot and it gets esp draggy after ep 20 or whatever that thing blahblahblah and for liar game I had my eyes glued to the screen.

Only caution is episode 1 and 2 are okay but from episode 3 liar game is really FUN and has exactly what you're looking for.
the thing that you're looking for isn't code geass obviously from what you said.

Other jdramas I would recommend just based on wanting to finding out what happens next or how it ends
would be
JIN and watashitachi no kyoukasho.
JIN's first episode is sorta boring but by episode 3 you should be hooked. it's a really amazing drama. I personally never though i could sit through a jidai-geki anything let a lone a 12 episode drama but it's just so well done and it does have a connection to modern times so it's not 100% jidaigeki in that sense..... this is the only jidaigeki thing I've ever wached and I also love it just out of dramas in general.

Watashitachi no kyoukasho's pacing is slow but I was really interestedd in finding out the truth and how it'll end.

JIN has season 2 so maybe by the end of that you'll know everything.

Liar game and JIN are based on manga. not to mention all three have lovely background music/sound effect/ost etcc etc
my j-drama review blog entries.
http://choronghi.wordpress.com/?s=reviews

all three fit the
had me going "What in the world is going to happen now?" and I HAD to keep watching to find out.
.the kinda foreboding feeling.

Last edited by xxanimefan4_ever; 2011-07-02 at 16:17.
Old 2011-09-15, 11:45   Link #12
Alen

Anything else? Seen Code Geass. Amazing, just what I was looking for. Lelouch is similar to Light - very confident and knows what hes doing. Steins Gate (seen about 8 eps) is OK.

Something more on the side of Death Note and now Code Geass.

Thanks!
Old 2011-09-15, 14:50   Link #13
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

You should try Monster. It's a great mystery series that keeps you guessing what's going to happen next. Its main character is very different from Light but is very competent in his own right and enjoyable to watch. Also, the show has an amazing villain. All in all, it has a very deep compelling plot that is well thought-out and keeps you watching until the very end.

There is also Higurashi - another great mystery/thriller series that keeps you wondering what's going on and just when you think you've figured everything out, it throws you into a completely different direction. Another great show with interesting premise.
Old 2011-09-15, 15:38   Link #14
kitten320

Sadly Death Note and Code Geass are the only of their kind, haven't seen any other shows where we would have a negative protatongoist...

But I'll try to suggest something with suspence:
I know that this one is considered as children show and does have a lot of comedy but once Dennou Coil comes to its main core at around episode 16, it actually gets entertaining and makes you guess just what is going on and how will it end. Though main character is annoying...

I don't remember if it was you who said no ghosts in some other thread so I'll say it again... Ghost Hunt... The closest thing I saw to those two... It has suspence and also makes you wonder: What's next?! Series are seperated in different arcs, some better than others. As title suggest it is all about ghosts but also some voodoo stuff. The main male protatongist never whimps and always acts cool and knows what he is doing. Also quiet knowladgable since they go in a lot of details. That will be my main suggestion.

Monster is a seriouse detective series with a lot of things going on and usually ends with cliffhamgers.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is mostly suspence based.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin has quiet a few cliffhangers.

Shiki is kind of show where you know who is the culprit but it still keeps your attention.

Sadly that's all I know so far, I'm searching for similar shows myself.
Old 2011-09-15, 17:34   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought Dennou Coil was pretty entertaining right from the very beginning myself.

That "foreboding" feeling pretty much underpins many of the pseudo-Asian imperial dramas like Seirei no Moribito and Twelve Kingdoms, and many other shows like Noein, Scrapped Princess and Ergo Proxy. Kure-nai is another possibility.

I'd put Monster ahead of all of these.
Old 2011-09-15, 19:36   Link #16
Alen

I've seen Ergo Proxy and Phantom, both were great. I guess its finally time to try Monster.
Old 2011-09-15, 20:19   Link #17
kitten320

Yeh you should, it is a good one. A bit dragged but still good.
Old 2011-12-09, 00:34   Link #18
Letterbox

Talking An Anime By The Creators of Death Note

I was advised after asking the same question you have to watch BAKUMAN (not bakugan). Bakuman Is by the creators of death note and as of today only has 7 dubbed episodes, it has two subbed seasons though.
Old 2011-12-09, 07:53   Link #19
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Bakuman has the same mangaka, but the story is nothing like it all
Old 2011-12-11, 13:57   Link #20
Undertaker

This one is harder to find in English due to it being an order series (mid-late 90s) and not exactly U.S. fan cup-of-tea.

But if you like Monster or the detective mind battle. Try out Kindaichi Shōnen no Jikenbo (Kindaichi Case Files) like Death Notes and Monster it is adapted from manga and has Jdrama available as well. Considered to be the pioneer of mystery manga and the best in its genre, much darker and complex than Detective Conan.

One Outs, anime adaption of Shinobu Kaitani's other work (mangaka for Liar Game). It's another series about battle of trickery through games. This one is about a main character with 68~80 mph pitch velocity who manipulates the rules in a gambling baseball.