AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-15, 12:33   Link #41
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I thought Key's formula was light & fluffy to get you hooked in the start, and have people die off at the end. LB's anime seems to leak some dark stuff right from the start.
Yea the anime is throwing some big hints out there and playing creepy music very early on. As you suspect or perhaps already know, the VN is indeed a lot more lighter and fluffier at the start. So I would say this is more the fault of the people adapting the show and not Key changing it's formula.

Now, on a different topic, they seem to have portrayed Komari a lot different from the game. Which seems strange to me. My impression from the anime is that she's quite the weirdo, she's downright Fuuko-esque in the way she handles herself, which is great because it's entertaining, but when I played the VN she seemed a lot more naive and her sunny disposition was much more emphasized. The scenes with Komari in the VN made me feel warm because she always seemed to be smiling and spouting one happy-sounding aphorism after another. In the anime she seems to be doing and saying one weird thing after another. By the time we get to the baseball recruiting scene, both scenes in the VN and anime are comical, but I felt like Komari was being portrayed as naive to the point where it was comical in the VN vs her being so awkward in the anime that it's comical by this point. Am I the only one who perceives this difference? I dunno, it seems strange to me that a character would seem so different to the point that her personality and scenes feel different.

I'm curious to know, people who didn't play the VN: How do you feel about Komari?

Last edited by Ceral; 2012-10-15 at 12:49.
Old 2012-10-15, 13:14   Link #42
Ringil

I feel Komari is pretty much as naive and sunny as in the VN. I can see how it might be seen that she's more awkward in the anime, that whole scene of Komari's method of responding to Kyousuke's test seemed to be more like something Haruka woulda do (though Haruka probably wouldn't answer guts, bravery and friendship haha).
Old 2012-10-15, 13:19   Link #43
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
I'm curious to know, people who didn't play the VN: How do you feel about Komari?
I don't think you'll get many non-VN readers in this thread xD.

But yes, I've noticed very early in the episode that Komari has a much much more bubbly feel to her. In the VN she's the kind of girl that goes at her own...slow, slow pace but keeps everything cheerful, beautiful and pretty but the way she's portrayed in the anime...it wouldn't surprise me if non-VN readers pointed her out as the weirdo of the group...then again this group is full of weirdos...

as for those that have played the VN...well we have the privilege of knowing her background and what happened in her route so our opinion of her differs greatly from any the non-VN readers can have.

Her response to Kyousuke is pretty much the same as the one in the VN if I remember correctly.
Old 2012-10-15, 15:08   Link #44
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringil View Post
I feel Komari is pretty much as naive and sunny as in the VN. I can see how it might be seen that she's more awkward in the anime, that whole scene of Komari's method of responding to Kyousuke's test seemed to be more like something Haruka woulda do (though Haruka probably wouldn't answer guts, bravery and friendship haha).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I don't think you'll get many non-VN readers in this thread xD.

But yes, I've noticed very early in the episode that Komari has a much much more bubbly feel to her. In the VN she's the kind of girl that goes at her own...slow, slow pace but keeps everything cheerful, beautiful and pretty but the way she's portrayed in the anime...it wouldn't surprise me if non-VN readers pointed her out as the weirdo of the group...then again this group is full of weirdos...

as for those that have played the VN...well we have the privilege of knowing her background and what happened in her route so our opinion of her differs greatly from any the non-VN readers can have.

Her response to Kyousuke is pretty much the same as the one in the VN if I remember correctly.
I think you guys are both right, she seems like a spaz in the anime to me, sort of what Haruka's role would fulfill usually. I think I'll just blame it on the shows pacing, they're going through Komari's scenes very quickly. Every scene with her is dialogue and action, not much lounging around. I got the feeling she took things at a very slow pace in the VN too, also clumsy and naive, but refreshingly optimistic and friendly as well. In the anime she is always energetic and talkative in all her scenes so that the rest of her traits seem to be an afterthought. I always thought of her role in the group as the glue who keeps everyone together by getting along with everyone and making sure they're all happy too, the cheery girl. But the anime is making her appear like she is the spaz character. Maybe once Haruka and Kud come into play to show some more contrast that'll change.
Old 2012-10-15, 15:47   Link #45
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Well to be fair, if anyone is the glue in the group it's Riki...which was very well proven in Refrain.
Old 2012-10-16, 02:08   Link #46
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Well to be fair, if anyone is the glue in the group it's Riki...which was very well proven in Refrain.
Yea, I got carried away, obv Kyousuke and Riki do a lot more to keep the group together, esp the original group. The original group seems to be solid and not needing any glue outside of their main 5. What I meant was that besides Riki, I think Komari is on best terms overall with the other girls. Perhaps I am exaggerating but I think her presence is vital in keeping the other girls content. Besides being Rins best friend, she's got the connection to Anego who likes fawning over her and she seems to be the butt of the jokes for the sake of entertaining all the girls. She and Kud seem to relate well too. I got the feeling that as far as scenes with other characters go, she popped up the most frequently, besides Riki of course. She just seems to be a natural for the supporting character role.

I just think that, if they want to use her as that supporting character and butt of the jokes, it would be more appropriate if they did a better job showing off how friendly and naive she is, otherwise I see those scenes falling flat and maybe even being a little confusing if they only feature her eccentricity.

Edit: I get the feeling that there'd be something missing from the other routes if she got removed, whereas I think the other routes (Barring refrain obviously), would be exactly the same. Perhaps I go too far though...

Last edited by Ceral; 2012-10-16 at 02:23.
Old 2012-10-16, 17:27   Link #47
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Yea, I got carried away, obv Kyousuke and Riki do a lot more to keep the group together, esp the original group. The original group seems to be solid and not needing any glue outside of their main 5. What I meant was that besides Riki, I think Komari is on best terms overall with the other girls. Perhaps I am exaggerating but I think her presence is vital in keeping the other girls content. Besides being Rins best friend, she's got the connection to Anego who likes fawning over her and she seems to be the butt of the jokes for the sake of entertaining all the girls. She and Kud seem to relate well too. I got the feeling that as far as scenes with other characters go, she popped up the most frequently, besides Riki of course. She just seems to be a natural for the supporting character role.

I just think that, if they want to use her as that supporting character and butt of the jokes, it would be more appropriate if they did a better job showing off how friendly and naive she is, otherwise I see those scenes falling flat and maybe even being a little confusing if they only feature her eccentricity.

Edit: I get the feeling that there'd be something missing from the other routes if she got removed, whereas I think the other routes (Barring refrain obviously), would be exactly the same. Perhaps I go too far though...
Hmmm...Well she had no influence in the other girl's routes really (Rin aside)...
In Anego's route she only showed up for the funny scene with the guys asking the girls out as a test, and even then you can not pick her.
In Kud's route she's mostly present during the study session though you can pick others to study with.
Haruka and Mio's route she pretty much doesn't show up.

Honestly, one thing I've noticed is that aside from refrain and such, the other girls can easily vanish during routes other than their own and not affect them in the least.
Old 2012-10-16, 19:29   Link #48
Ringil

One thing I always thought was cool was how Rin would always provide a bit of helpful advice in every girl's route :P, but in general, I agree the girls that aren't a route's heroine tend to be ignored.
Old 2012-10-17, 00:25   Link #49
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Laughed how they included scenes for Kyousuke giving Rin her first 'title' and LOL'd hard the part where Kyousuke needed quotes and jotted down everything everyone said. Silence was a virtue that time.

Really glad they included some of the VN elements in the show.
Old 2012-10-17, 13:17   Link #50
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Hmmm...Well she had no influence in the other girl's routes really (Rin aside)...
In Anego's route she only showed up for the funny scene with the guys asking the girls out as a test, and even then you can not pick her.
In Kud's route she's mostly present during the study session though you can pick others to study with.
Haruka and Mio's route she pretty much doesn't show up.

Honestly, one thing I've noticed is that aside from refrain and such, the other girls can easily vanish during routes other than their own and not affect them in the least.
Well kind of my point here, they're not together at all past the common route. But when they are together, she gives a reason for a lot of the other girls to be there. E.G. A friend for Rin, someone that's Naive as Kud for Kud to relate to, the other girls to goof around with. Glue was the wrong word to use, that makes it sound like she's in some sort of leadership position.

Edit: In a group setting I think she helps out a lot in making the other girls feel comfortable. I'm just rambling about the feelings I got when playing the game, so it's pretty refutable, but in my mind her presence makes it more feasible for the girls to be there.

Last edited by Ceral; 2012-10-17 at 13:39.
Old 2012-10-17, 13:50   Link #51
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
That makes me think about the "let's clean the baseball clubroom" moment. Riki noted how "strong" she was. Plus her debate with Sasami (no, I'm taking care of them) - she sure is, in the groups chemistry, more important than any other female member (mio, haruka, etc) and it seems she is somehow aware of it.
Group Chemistry. A little cliche, but I like it .
Old 2012-10-17, 14:33   Link #52
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

No one keeps the group together. The group came together because everyone is a part of it... I believe that's the whole point.

Spoiler for HEAVY SPOILERS:

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-10-17, 14:59   Link #53
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Kind of forgot what we were talking about. Original point was that Komari came off as more of an oddball than I remembered her. And that this change might affect the group dynamic to the point that we have a slightly different character and feel compared to the VN when we get to the group scenes. At this point I think her oddness makes for a funnier show, but if they dont' show off more of her naivete and optimism, it will be interesting. She comes off as a bit of a spaz now. They did show off other parts of her personality, but like I said, it feels like an "afterthought" instead of a real defining part of her personality which I felt they did well to define in the VN in her intro.

Sort of like how one viewer in the Eps. 2 discussion thread mentioned there being a disconnect between Rin screaming at Masato then acting super shy in front of Komari. Komari going from super spaz to something else might be a lot more noticeable, but maybe not if they build on her more.

Edit: Indeed I do think she adds a lot to the group though. This is sidetracked from my previous point, but once she's added to the group, the feel changes a lot from what I perceived, now we've got a real moe show, now we've got Rin being extra shy. We've got the guys giving some funny reactions that they aren't used to because of this quirky character. It's a much different show with her around.

Anyway to tie the two points together, since she's involved in a lot of the scenes, if they choose to animate those, and stick with this new bubbly Komari, it will be strange and new at least compared to the VN. Maybe not in a bad way.

Last edited by Ceral; 2012-10-17 at 18:34.
Old 2012-10-19, 22:00   Link #54
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Uhh..I'm late to the thread and the mini-discussion about Komari, but have you guys forgotten "that" scene near the end?

And also the description about her: "sociable, easily, gets along with other people", right at the very start, as I remember from the visual novel. If she is indeed portrayed as her character should be, then there's no problem. In a way, she is Rin's polar opposite, and her personality thus runs in a tangent with Kudo's (this is why I suspect they had many common route scenes together). She should be outgoing, a little bit wise, clumsy, sweet, as "normal" a girl as visual novel conventions go.

Spoiler for The WHOLE of Little Busters! how could you guys forget:
Old 2012-10-21, 10:24   Link #55
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

After watching a second time Episode 3, I felt its adaptation regarding characters a bit worse than I initially thought.
The first problem I've got with this episode was how Haruka was portrayed. Past the noticeable difference in voice acting (probably due to the direction), Haruka felt quite pushy and demanding. It was already weird for her not to simply ask, her lecture felt quite off. And suffice to say, seeing her only now for only 2 short scenes doesn't really make sense, since she raids quite often Riki's class (a bit like Kyou in Clannad).

Masato was particularly weird was well: checking the VN again, he was shown as downright annoyed after Kengo's setup, and even more with Yuiko's intervention, to the point he was getting serious at it. So seeing the muscle sensation and his pumped side there was off once again.

But like I said, my major gripe in ep3 was how Yuiko felt "plain mischevious" without really the kuudere side to it: past the slow "threats", she was shown "amused" during her fight with Masato, instead of plainly punish him for his foolishness (characterized with her cold profile pose in the VN).
So really, the differences are notable imho.
Old 2012-10-21, 10:27   Link #56
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

Yeah, I noticed Haruchin to be kind of different here in the anime than on the VN, especially her voice. Even though the seiyuu is the same she sounds so... different in the anime.
Old 2012-10-21, 10:31   Link #57
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
After watching a second time Episode 3, I felt its adaptation regarding characters a bit worse than I initially thought.
The first problem I've got with this episode was how Haruka was portrayed. Past the noticeable difference in voice acting (probably due to the direction), Haruka felt quite pushy and demanding. It was already weird for her not to simply ask, her lecture felt quite off. And suffice to say, seeing her only now for only 2 short scenes doesn't really make sense, since she raids quite often Riki's class (a bit like Kyou in Clannad).
I agree with you about how Haruka is portrayed in this episode. Like I mentioned in the episode 3 anime thread, she does not give me the same vibe as I usually get when she's interacting with Riki. Her character personality is changed up a bit (or more) from the VN, but it's possible I'm not remembering it clearly. I don't recall any scene like that where she lectures Riki or has any desire to talk about rules. 'Only put papers in your desk?' Was something like that ever said or at least hinted at in the source material? I need to check the VN and see how that scene went again, it's been a half a year since I played it.

EDIT: Okay, after checking the game, I see what happened and I seriously don't like how the anime handled it... Not only did Haruka lecturing Riki did not happen, in the anime, it looks as if Haruka is a bossy character which she is not. They pretty much cut the entire joke short and that subtracted from Haruka's silly nature which will give anime only viewers the wrong impression of her character. Instead of the lecture we get Haruka saying something along the lines "Amazing isn't it? Imagine what my classmates thought when I opened it (with a sincere smile). I'll forgive you since you're my friend, but if a stranger stuck their hand inside your desk they'd be furious." Something like that. It was a very playful scene which sets up what kind of character she is and the anime adaption totally botched it. Oh and the "only put papers in your desk" did happen but in a playful manner, not in a lecturing way like the anime handled it. I understand there are time restraints, but to change up a scene in that kind of way I find unacceptable...

Last edited by Snuffle; 2012-10-21 at 11:04.
Old 2012-10-21, 11:11   Link #58
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

Hopefully they don't forget of Kud "Wafuuu"
Old 2012-10-21, 13:05   Link #59
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkark07 View Post
Hopefully they don't forget of Kud "Wafuuu"
She said it in the PV, so I highly doubt they'll forget it. I mean come on, to forget Kud's Wafuu is like having a Naruto anime without him saying Dattebayo...
Old 2012-10-21, 14:48   Link #60
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Masato was particularly weird was well: checking the VN again, he was shown as downright annoyed after Kengo's setup, and even more with Yuiko's intervention, to the point he was getting serious at it. So seeing the muscle sensation and his pumped side there was off once again.
For this one, I think we might have different impressions of Masato in the original scene. Masato was, even in spite of his outright "seriousness" when faced with Kurugaya's challenge, still being somewhat of a fool - saying idiotic things and even looking quite goofy fumbling after his weapon. (Did they still use the same weapon in the anime?) Do remember, Key has budget issues regarding CGs and whatnot, and in the vanilla Little Busters! the "serious" Masato sprite is not an indicator of his real emotion, one has to look at the text and context. In some scenes it's used for comedic irony, in others it's appropriate to the situation.

For the others I can't comment without context.