AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Old 2009-06-24, 21:24   Link #81
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The OVA wasn't bad... I guess. The main thing that brought the story down was a lack of a convincing reason for her hysteria... OK, so she really wants to keep the baby... Why...? I expected them to explain some past in the OVA, but it never did...
The new art style was cute and nice though... It feels really different from the TV series, but it was similar to ToHeart2 OVA's, so it didn't take long to get used to.

The most memorable thing was the fanservice part at the beginning... As expected of OVAs, fearsome...
It's all completely bloody fan service man, that's all it is. I'm glad I got to see Aruruu again! That was the only thing that made the OVA bright....

Last edited by ThoHell; 2009-06-24 at 22:46.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 22:14   Link #82
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
B.) Is it? The ANN entry lists that Oriental Light and Magic is one of the producers, and they worked on the original Utaware.
Well, technically, Tears to Tiara is produced by White Fox, which is a new studio that was formed by the OLM team that did work on Utawarerumono. So, it's a different studio by name, but not a totally different studio in terms of personnel or anything. And yeah, the studio for this OVA is Chaos Project, who did the TH2 OVAs, as s_b mentioned.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 01:26   Link #83
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Soljashy
Chaos Project also did the opening for the PS2 version of the game, I believe, the animation of which I liked a lot, so I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed.

Overall, I think the OVA was OK. The character artwork is very pretty, the backgrounds are beautiful and the characters are true to themselves. The story is true to that of the original game, with some alterations of course, but that is to be expected of an adaption (we'd all rather have new material, anyway). I enjoyed watching my poor Kamyu fail at taking care of the baby.

Now for my criticisms. First of all, too much Karura. I understand that they basically made her the protagonist for this episode, and I guess I can overlook this as long as they don't keep it up, but I would have liked to see more of the other characters. Especially characters like Oboro, Benawi and Hakuoro (and even Eruruw) got very little screentime. Yes, we all have our favourites, but when I watch Utawareru Mono, I want to see the whole family.

Other concerns of mine have to do with the pacing and lack of dialogue. As someone who played the game, I know there is a lot of source material for this story. They had over twenty minutes to do a single story arc, and yet they spend so much time on Karura sitting drinking sake and gazing at the scenery. Even in the part where Uruto had to give the baby back, they only played Eruruw's song and there was no dialogue. Maybe my judgment was clouded by the expectations I've built up over the past year – if I had orchestrated this OVA, I would have mixed in elements from other skipped arcs, or at least include Karura's parable about that farm animal.

Also, I was annoyed by the blatant fanservice, which was fortunately limited to one scene.

Nevertheless, this episode, though perhaps weak compared to the best moments of the series itself, has many highlights, and it comes with a lovely opening sequence with the kind of music we've come to expect of Suara. Of course, they get bonus points for including Mutsumi in the opener. It was weird hearing so many of the game BGM tracks used in the OVA, but they fit so well that it wasn't at all distracting.

I'm looking forward to the other two episodes. Here's hoping they include Kamyu's dark side in future volumes, and hopefully reveal some of Mutsumi's past (which hardly got any exposure whatsoever in the series itself). Yes, these black-winged beauties are my brides.
This user has been diagnosed with a very rare and dangerous mutation of type Al of the pandemic Kugimiya disease (Retroviridae Kooguencephalitisvirus Kugimijavirus). The source of his infection has been identified as a Kamyu bite. Please be sensitive to him.

Last edited by Soljashy; 2009-06-26 at 19:28. Reason: typo
Soljashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 15:54   Link #84
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
The fanservice was pretty overwhelming in the beginning, I have to admit. I'll also echo, I would have rather seen more about each character, but with such a short format, I can understand how that would be a nearly impossible task. That being said, I was overall pretty pleased.

The music was very fitting to the series and I noticed the BGMs were right out of the game, so they were really fitting. I was pretty impressed with the opening sequence. The animation took a bit of getting use to, however it really grew on me quickly and I find I rather like it--Touka's sword scenes in the opening seem very natural and graceful.

There wasn't alot of humor in it, however what little they attempted was pretty well good, even if it wasn't anything new. Aruru was incredibly cute and stole most of the scenes she was in, especially the late night storehouse scene. It was probably my favorite from the ova.

Of course, this leaves me dying for more material. They can take as long as they want, as long as its good. I'd have much rather seen more of this rather than Tears to Tiara, which I've found decidely medicore at best.
Telmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 18:49   Link #85
OverFunk
It will never be the year

Lol@people expecting more than fanservice. The story has been told already, you really can't add to that.

What I liked the most was that they used the game music. Also Aruruu moe~

Animation was a little weird, it felt off when Hakuoro want to see Karura and went Touka and Eruruu called Kamyu. Still, better than the series, no primitive CG soldiers ftw.

Never forget
OverFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 19:26   Link #86
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
Lol@people expecting more than fanservice. The story has been told already, you really can't add to that.
Actually, there were a lot of little story arcs like these that were left out from the original game. Yes, I do feel that they could have concentrated more on that and cut out some of the fanservice. But there's a good chance they'll cover more of that in future volumes. I'll remain hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
Animation was a little weird, it felt off when Hakuoro want to see Karura and went Touka and Eruruu called Kamyu. Still, better than the series, no primitive CG soldiers ftw.
They did quite some adjustments on the characters' proportions. Hakuoro looks a bit more like he did in the game, and Kamyu seems to have been shortened to be closer to Aruruw's length, which makes sense since they're only a year or two apart in age (at least according to Hakuoro's speculations). I found it a pleasant change. I kind of missed the CG soldiers, though.
This user has been diagnosed with a very rare and dangerous mutation of type Al of the pandemic Kugimiya disease (Retroviridae Kooguencephalitisvirus Kugimijavirus). The source of his infection has been identified as a Kamyu bite. Please be sensitive to him.
Old 2009-06-26, 23:54   Link #87
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Good first episode of the OVA. Everyone complains about it being all fanservice, but it's not. The first episode is almost straight out of the game. The nudity was unexpected, but not unwelcome. XD

But seriously, if you couldn't figure out why Urutorii was upset, you're a moron. Anyone with half a brain cell would have been able to tell she was getting way too attached to a child that wasn't hers. Karura's role was, quite obviously, meant to steer Uruto away from getting too attached, but obviously it didn't work.

Best part of the OVA, however, is the original music from the game. In my opinion, anyway. That by far I enjoyed the most. The new opening and ending are quite lovely, as well.
Old 2009-06-27, 07:08   Link #88
Makenshi

I seriously hate stuff like this, i loved original Utwarerumono but this...

I can't even understand why people try to defend the whole 'kidnapping' thing

So she's a nany for a bit then without even hearing about they're coming to get the kid she runs off yelling 'uuh im this kids momiii!' .. I can MAYBE buy that alittle bit but everyone and their mothers show up and angel girl goes Super Saiyin tries killing everyone and then when she stops everyone goes 'Tihi you're so silly welcome home '

That's very unreasonable and.. c r a p.
Makenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 08:38   Link #89
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makenshi View Post
So she's a nany for a bit then without even hearing about they're coming to get the kid she runs off yelling 'uuh im this kids momiii!'
That bothered me too. Unlike the game, the OVA implies that Uruto is unaware of the parents coming to collect their child, which makes her running away with the baby seem rather silly.

Quote:
.. I can MAYBE buy that alittle bit but everyone and their mothers show up and angel girl goes Super Saiyin tries killing everyone and then when she stops everyone goes 'Tihi you're so silly welcome home '
To be fair, she wasn't trying to kill any of them. The On Riyaaku spell she cast on them is a sealing spell (which should be familiar to someone who is a fan of the series itself). I do think that this scene was handled better in the game, though.

Overall, a lot of scenes that made Uruto's desperation seem more natural were left out in this OVA. One scene in particular had her promising Karura that she would give back the baby when the time comes, but when Karura calls her bluff, asking Uruto to let her take care of Fumi from now on, Uruto is unable to comply. This and other scenes form a steady build-up that ultimately makes her running away with the baby a lot more believable. This is the main reason I'm so annoyed with them wasting screen time on Karura drinking sake.
Old 2009-06-27, 16:27   Link #90
Makenshi

Well whatever happend in the game sounds better tho that doesn't help the OVA.

I really loved Utaware... everything from the characters how they went together the fighting their cuteness and the bonds etc... This was just a disgrace

'boobs boobs boobs' 'crazy angel girl kidnaps a baby and attacks EVERYONE and then everyone forgives her and gives the baby to the family'

No plot and basicly nothing thoughtout through the whole episode...
Anyone who says this is good is the same people who think the naruto fillers are awesome and that they're better than the real thing..

I got so happy when i saw Utaware OVA this morning too I even SMILED!
Makenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 16:47   Link #91
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

It's a 30min show. They can't have everything in. =] I very much liked how they kept the crisis/conflict part of the show concise, and created a tranquil feel overall.

There's a bonus disc that comes with the DVD; a 13min picture drama that portrays part of that build-up.

Urutorii is caring for the child at night. Hakuoro comes in and tells her to take a rest and have Eruruu take care of the kid once a while. Urutorii mistakes this as a hint that he wants the baby out of the way so they can do "it". A humorous scene ensues, and afterward, they sit down and chat for a while.

Urutorii reminisces old times, and tells Hakuoro the story of when she first met Karura as a child. She started off by asking Karura to be her friend, but it turned into an argument after a while. The show ends with scenes of them fighting, accompanied by the ending theme song of the OVA. The last CG however, was of the two of them, who seemed to have made up already, and having fun together.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 16:54   Link #92
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
There's a bonus disc that comes with the DVD; a 13min picture drama that portrays part of that build-up.
I need to get my hands on that picture drama.
Old 2009-06-28, 00:47   Link #93
Avisch
Reality Blender

Well it was nostalgic. Utawarerumono was one of the first shows I watched when I really started to get into anime (in 2006).

Yeah not enough focus on the other characters. But since I feel the series' main problem is that it hardly gives itself enough character development. this wasn't too bad.

Why did Oboro wear his night outift.....in the morning?

Quote:
It was weird hearing so many of the game BGM tracks used in the OVA, but they fit so well that it wasn't at all distracting.
Noticed this aswell. The battle theme fit surprisingly well.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 02:13   Link #94
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Woot. Found the Chinese subs for the bonus disc. I'll get to it after finishing the sub for T3 this week.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 06:02   Link #95
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
just saw part of the OVA (saving it for one i have time)
specificlly the onsen part
when the hell did Utawarerumono turn into queens blade
Old 2009-06-29, 06:06   Link #96
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
just saw part of the OVA (saving it for one i have time)
specificlly the onsen part
when the hell did Utawarerumono turn into queens blade
And of all its scenes, you just had to watch the onsen scene. One scene with exposed nipples does not a Queen's Blade make.
Old 2009-07-05, 03:51   Link #97
Nayuki-Chan
Baka!Baka

Does anyone know the name of the song before the ending??It is sung while Uritori giving the child back to the parents?
Nayuki-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 04:01   Link #98
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayuki-Chan View Post
Does anyone know the name of the song before the ending??It is sung while Uritori giving the child back to the parents?
The song is called Unmei -SADAME- (運命-SADAME-) and is sung by Ryouka Yuzuki (the voice actress of Eruruw). It's included on the Utawareru Mono PS2 OST which I bought for this very reason.

Also, it was kind of funny how everyone was humming this throughout the OVA.
Old 2009-07-10, 04:45   Link #99
klare

saw eps 1, i must say this is not for those who have not seen the series (like me), no intro to the world settings or story

most of the time, the story moves very slow

the good part is the OP and ED, both sound like retro music and very catchy
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 01:20   Link #100
Lord Ryo
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Lord Ryo
Finally I got around to seeing this, and in very good quality to boot. I was able to appreciate the art and animation more as I got to see it very clearly. It took a little getting used to seeing the slight changes in the art but I personally think it looks a little better than the original show. The little things left out from the game didn’t make it any less enjoyable; although I was highly anticipating this I knew it wasn’t going to be absolutely perfect. But overall I found it very enjoyable, I loved how they kept the original music and even the onsen scene was good. I was shocked at how far they went considering how tame the original anime was. My only real complaint was that there wasn’t enough Touka, but I look forward to seeing more of her in the later volumes so I’ll wait patently. And this bonus disk sounds like it’ll be worth checking out hopefully I’ll get around to seeing that too.
Lord Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, aquaplus, bishoujo, leaf, ova, rpg