Old 2008-03-10, 15:29   Link #61
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I'll make it super simple:

Uncheck "Enable" here: opera:config#BitTorrent
Just uncheck that box and click save.
Thank you! It worked

Edit: Also, I wanted to ask other thing. Every 5 minutes I'm getting this advice; at first I didn't really care, but not it IS bugging me.

Last edited by Shana; 2008-03-10 at 17:14.
Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 18:52   Link #62
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I dont want to create a separate thread for it ... its not Opera browser centric but all my browsers . When I play Flash Video on any browser there is no sound I have all the necessary codec but yet no sound (swplayer and flash codec). To hear a video I have to download and watch it .... Please help me bring sound into my world : (

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Download .. Search from the list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
IUncheck "Hide file types opened with Opera"
That was my undoing after I did the 'uncheck' found the solution : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I'll make it super simple:

Uncheck "Enable" here: opera:config#BitTorrent
Just uncheck that box and click save.
Thanks for posting that was really helpful ^^
Old 2008-03-10, 21:06   Link #63
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Will that really do it? My Opera is set to open torrents with a separate BT program, but when I clicked your link "Enable" was still checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
Thank you! It worked

Edit: Also, I wanted to ask other thing. Every 5 minutes I'm getting this advice; at first I didn't really care, but not it IS bugging me.
It seems like you have an incorrectly configured POP3 account with GMail. If you want to continue to use the account with Opera's services, make sure that you entered the right account and password information. You can access your mail accounts from Tools > Mail and Chat Accounts. Click on your GMail account and click on "Edit" to bring up the screen where you can enter your password properly.

To use POP3 with GMail you must enable it from within your GMail preferences. It didn't used to come enabled by default and I doubt that Google has changed that. Here's what I have for my account:

Incoming POP server
Server: pop.gmail.com
Port number: 995
Authentication: Auto (Plaintext)

Outgoing SMTP server
Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port number: 465
Authentication: Auto

If you want to retain your account and just have it stop checking for messages, go to the "Incoming" tab. Uncheck "Check for new messages every #minutes" (should be the third option from the bottom). If you want to remove the account entirely, select it and hit Delete from the "Manage accounts" window.
Old 2008-03-10, 21:15   Link #64
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Another question regarding Opera usage which did bother me quite a bit back when I last tested it as an alternative... What's with the RSS aggregation behavior? I'm so used to Firefox's drop-down-menu way of handling RSS feeds that Opera's style just feels... way too weird. Is there a way to change that?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 21:18   Link #65
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The newsfeed system seems to be designed to work the way that the mailer does, to a lesser extent. If you use Opera for your mail this is a rather convenient way of doing things, as you're almost checking your mail and newsfeeds at the same time. I don't think that this behavior can be changed, but then I'm not sure how else newsfeeds would work. I'm not familiar with how Firefox's system works, could you explain it?
Old 2008-03-10, 21:23   Link #66
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I'm not familiar with how Firefox's system works, could you explain it?
Firefox simply adds the feed as a bookmark, and whenever you click on it, you get a drop-down menu with the latest entries (the amount of entries displayed varies from feed to feed, so I guess it's a server-side thing). It's extremely convenient to browse AnimeSuki other sites which don't rely on text feeds, such as torrent listing sites and podcasts. You can access a separate page which has more detail, I think, but I don't use it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 21:35   Link #67
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Will that really do it? My Opera is set to open torrents with a separate BT program, but when I clicked your link "Enable" was still checked.
It's possible to configre Opera to open torrents with another program without following my advice, but my way is simplest and that option should really be moved into the preferences dialogue.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 12:47   Link #68
Shana

Quote:

It seems like you have an incorrectly configured POP3 account with GMail. If you want to continue to use the account with Opera's services, make sure that you entered the right account and password information. You can access your mail accounts from Tools > Mail and Chat Accounts. Click on your GMail account and click on "Edit" to bring up the screen where you can enter your password properly.

To use POP3 with GMail you must enable it from within your GMail preferences. It didn't used to come enabled by default and I doubt that Google has changed that. Here's what I have for my account:

Incoming POP server
Server: pop.gmail.com
Port number: 995
Authentication: Auto (Plaintext)

Outgoing SMTP server
Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port number: 465
Authentication: Auto

If you want to retain your account and just have it stop checking for messages, go to the "Incoming" tab. Uncheck "Check for new messages every #minutes" (should be the third option from the bottom). If you want to remove the account entirely, select it and hit Delete from the "Manage accounts" window.
You God! How can you get all those answers? Thanks, it worked

And no, I don't have another problem XD
Old 2008-03-11, 22:33   Link #69
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ He's a legend

At least he is better then any hotline support I've ever called
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:15   Link #70
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Aw, shucks...

Well, question on my end. I bought my girlfriend a Macbook and Opera is really the main article to transfer over. I'd say 80% of her computer usage is spent in Opera (20% in MS Word) so I'd like to ensure that everything is transferred smoothly. I did the move from Windows to Mac myself about a year ago, but the only thing I cared about what mail information, really. She has wand passwords, widgets, and a load of other stuff to carry over.

I think I've got everything set up nicely (with the exception of Newsfeed icons - this is something NSW helped me with back then, but I seem to have forgotten the solution), except for the darn widgets. Where is the widget data stored? Opera on her system lists all of her widgets but I can't seem to open any of them. Uh oh, don't tell me - the widgets .dat or .ini file contains the paths to the widgets on her Windows system, so I'll need to change the paths to where they are on the Mac system? If that's the case that's actually not too bad... anyone have any ideas?
Old 2008-03-15, 03:47   Link #71
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

The newsfeed icons are in the profile/images directory.

As for widgets, I'm afraid I don't really know. I use so few of those that it was easiest just to download them again when I changed installations. Just copying over profile/widgets didn't do it?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-03-15, 14:04   Link #72
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Didn't seem to, as the widgets don't open (not sure why). Oh well, she said she doesn't care too much about it because she actually wasn't using widgets as heavily as I'd thought she was. The mail stuff was the big concern and it seems to be OK. I should ask Opera to document the default locations of files for various OS versions... and since I have access to all operating systems (and a fair bit of time) offer to do it for them, I suppose
Old 2008-03-15, 15:37   Link #73
Doughnuts

Quote:
Uh oh, don't tell me - the widgets .dat or .ini file contains the paths to the widgets on her Windows system, so I'll need to change the paths to where they are on the Mac system? If that's the case that's actually not too bad... anyone have any ideas?
You've answered your own question, that's exactly it. Just do a quick find+replace on the path name, widgets.dat is just a text/xml file. You'll need to copy over widgets.adr too.

I think for the newsfeed items you just need the profle/images dir and opera.dir file, can't confirm that though. Visiting the websites the feeds are from might work.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 17:18   Link #74
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Under Mac OS X Opera splits itself into two main directories. Mail and a "thumbnails" directory (I think this is thumbnails for Speed Dial) are under /user/Library/Application Support/Opera. The main Opera preferences are contained under /user/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences/.

I don't think I simply dumped all of my files from the Windows install into the Mac version when I switched over, and I wouldn't recommend it. The primary preferences file (opera6.adr I believe) contains paths to other preferences and directories; overwriting it with the Windows one would cause it to try looking for the Windows directory structure, which doesn't exist.

Under Windows, my Opera install (which started with version 7, or maybe 6) had all directories contained within Program Files\Opera. Apparently as of version 8 or 9 the behavior is different; Program Files\Opera only contains the core program. Practically everything else is contained in Documents and Settings\Program Settings\Opera (Program Settings is a hidden directory - turn on "show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options to access it).

Anyway, there are two Widget files - widgets.adr contained in the main preferences folder, and widgets.dat contained in the "Widgets" folder. The adr file just contained some widget data; the .dat file contained more data, including a path to the widget data (directed to the widget's .zip file) - this is the file Doughnuts mentioned. I tried changing the paths but the widgets still wouldn't open. I typed in the path fully, case-sensitive, and tried putting the space normally as well as in the UNIX-friendly way (for example, /preferences/Opera\ Preferences/) but it didn't make a difference. My girlfriend will just delete her old widgets and download them again if she feels that she needs them, as she hasn't used most of them in a few months... also, now that she has Mac OS X's widgets, I have the feeling that she won't be using Opera's anymore. (I say that because I showed her how to add new Mac OS X widgets as compensation for messing up her Opera widgets, and then I was quickly kicked off her computer - apparently this excited her and she immediately began browsing the Mac OS X widget library.)
Old 2008-03-17, 01:49   Link #75
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Under Windows, my Opera install (which started with version 7, or maybe 6) had all directories contained within Program Files\Opera. Apparently as of version 8 or 9 the behavior is different; Program Files\Opera only contains the core program. Practically everything else is contained in Documents and Settings\Program Settings\Opera (Program Settings is a hidden directory - turn on "show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options to access it).
This is optional behavior. Ever since I first started using Opera you've had a choice when installing Opera. The installer asks if you want to use individual Opera profiles for each user on the computer. If you check the box it will put preferences into ...Documents and Settings\Program Settings... If you don't check the box it goes into Opera\Profile.

Once you make a choice for an installation it will not ask again when you upgrade. This question is only asked when installing into a brand new directory. This has not changed from my first use of Opera to the current Kestrel.

Old 2008-03-19, 16:51   Link #76
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

In case anyone is curious, there's finally a new build that I find good enough to use: build 9841. Just don't press the help button (F1) or it will probably crash. Aside from that its pretty stable.

Old 2008-03-19, 19:03   Link #77
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

<I had designed a website so I was checking it out on diffrent browsers to check the design . So my FF was open> >>Realization<<

Okay out of curosity I was tempted to press F1. My Opera closed FF was on my screen . I was like what the fudge a sick joke @_@ Then I realised and remembered : )

But for a few moments I had wtf expression on my face . But at the end it was hilarious
Old 2008-03-19, 22:50   Link #78
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

OMG! When you press F1, Opera transforms to Firefox! Thanks for telling us about that unusual bug. It's quite funny.

Old 2008-03-20, 01:46   Link #79
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Now it seems rather dumb on my part but at that moment it was seriously wtf hilarious . Beauty of this release is it even keeps your Ospell integrated . Btw I forgot to thank NSW for posting build 9841 ^o^

EDIT : OSPELL doesnt run properly on this build . I reinstalled the previous version of Opera and OSpell ran fine . Is this a bug or do I need to further tweak my java options ?

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2008-03-20 at 02:10.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 02:48   Link #80
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Now it seems rather dumb on my part but at that moment it was seriously wtf hilarious . Beauty of this release is it even keeps your Ospell integrated . Btw I forgot to thank NSW for posting build 9841 ^o^

EDIT : OSPELL doesnt run properly on this build . I reinstalled the previous version of Opera and OSpell ran fine . Is this a bug or do I need to further tweak my java options ?
My Ospell stopped working also, but I deleted it and downloaded the latest version of Ospell and then it worked again. I don't know why, though I could imagine several reasons.

Tags
browsers, opera, software