AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 35 44.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 39.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 13.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-31, 14:03   Link #41
MarmoO

Good episode, even with that low budget (watching this reminded me of one Shinobuden episode, where ninjas were explaining how anime series are made, too many moments with characters looking “cool”). I have to admit, this one changed my opinion about Shion, now she looks more like a pure, innocent girl who has sometimes problems with controlling her own emotions, after watching this I like this character much more (well earlier it was more like: "die Shion, die" - I had something similar with Miss Wednesday/Vivi from One Piece). Scene in torture room, where she openly declared her feelings, without any backing down, was one of the best I have seen. Great character, good episode. Now, I don’t understand few things:
1. Mion also was helping her, why wasn’t she punished?
2. How did they made up? (I think the only way for Mion would be to do the same thing to herself what Shion did).
3. Why, during Watanagashi Mion was the one, who said she didn’t forgive Shion?
4. I think, Watanagashi is a chapter where Shion started to believe that Satoshi is dead and Mion and Oryou are responsible for killing him. What made her believe that?
Old 2006-07-31, 15:15   Link #42
NykylaiHellray

I guess we can nearly safely assume now that Shion was pretending to be Mion in eppisode 8.

With the words saying things like, "thats when the demon awoke in me". It is looking even more that Shion was the insane one.

This epecially confirms the idea that Mion has never killed anyone like she said in chapter 3.
Old 2006-07-31, 17:15   Link #43
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Eve
To be honest, I felt the same way. I hope Shion doesn't feel too much pain afterwards, honestly... Having someone do that to you is one thing, but hurting yourself that much is another. Anyway, about that loyalty test, I recall that after the Sophomore boys pulled a prank on a teacher (they wroter over his car), the male teachers all got them together and had a long talk. Somewhere during the talk, we came across a story by our biology teacher (I respect this guy greatly) and he told us about his trip to Africa as a Peace Corps. Apparently he got the chance to see this tribes loyalty test where they had to...circumcize... a boys genitals. Painful? YES. The only painkiller was one could bucket of water... After that experience, the boys were then considered men. Going back to Shion, I believe that she proved herself. My respects, honestly.

Regarding Shion, we pretty much have the same opinion. The Arc did a good job with the "distinctions" placed upon Shion, so I won't go any further.

Hmm. About the book, I know nothign about it, but I certainly would love to read it too. Sadly, I'd bet it would be only in Japanese and given that, it would be a tough read for non-Japanese speakers.
Circumcize my self sorry but if it ment that or being killed by the tribe f--k it stone my ass to death at the least the first rock might knock me out first then i dont care what they do. a bucket of cold water man thats rough at least give me a bottle of Jack Danials or Wild Irish Rose so i can be dead drunk when this happens. Oh yeah i totally agree with your post there is no need to go into it but i think you have some very good points.

Lostblue Thanks for the info about the sound novel. i think it would it make an awsome book, since in books you cant see anything you would visualize the deathes and as we all know the human imagination is pretty messed up. Thats funny i would watch Higurashi first then watch Haruhi afterward to offset the depression.
Old 2006-07-31, 18:22   Link #44
LostBlue
祭囃子

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Lostblue Thanks for the info about the sound novel. i think it would it make an awsome book, since in books you cant see anything you would visualize the deathes and as we all know the human imagination is pretty messed up.
It's pretty much a book that holds off key moments until you click to see the next scene. Yea, if you really didn't know what to except this novel is pretty damn creepy (See KJ1980's and Sushi-Y's comments on the first Rena's USODA!!!). I knew that was coming so it didn't impact me as much, but the other stuff that I didn't know... *shudders*

The game isn't visual at all. The sound effects + BGM really plays a part to the mood of the setting. It really lets your imagination do the talking.

Quote:
Thats funny i would watch Higurashi first then watch Haruhi afterward to offset the depression.
Pretty much what I did. I didn't know about Haruhi until after I finished reading Tatarigoroshi Hen. Haruhi really helped with bringing down the adrenaline rush Higurashi creates.
Old 2006-07-31, 23:00   Link #45
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmoO
Good episode, even with that low budget (watching this reminded me of one Shinobuden episode, where ninjas were explaining how anime series are made, too many moments with characters looking “cool”). I have to admit, this one changed my opinion about Shion, now she looks more like a pure, innocent girl who has sometimes problems with controlling her own emotions, after watching this I like this character much more (well earlier it was more like: "die Shion, die" - I had something similar with Miss Wednesday/Vivi from One Piece). Scene in torture room, where she openly declared her feelings, without any backing down, was one of the best I have seen. Great character, good episode. Now, I don’t understand few things:
1. Mion also was helping her, why wasn’t she punished?
2. How did they made up? (I think the only way for Mion would be to do the same thing to herself what Shion did).
3. Why, during Watanagashi Mion was the one, who said she didn’t forgive Shion?
4. I think, Watanagashi is a chapter where Shion started to believe that Satoshi is dead and Mion and Oryou are responsible for killing him. What made her believe that?
I think I know why you like Shion from 1982, but hate her in 1983:

At this point I'm just about positive that Mion and Shion switched roles for some reason between episode 17 and the start of Watanagashi-hen. I've made some more detailed posts about this in the general discussion/theory thread if you would like to read them.
Old 2006-08-01, 00:23   Link #46
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

What creeped me out and made a powerful blast of emotional thriller on me was the "oni & psycho" music played to emphasize Shion's trauma and horror at performing the kejime. It brutally struck me when hearing the noise....
Spoiler:

A powerful and ominous episodes; one of Higurashi's at its finest. Ironic coming from a guy like me that never has had played the game before.

After reading the TIPS for Meakashi-hen coupled with this episode and the previous one, I can start piecing how Wataganashi rolled to its haunting unfolding.

I have also make use of my knowledge gathered from Himatsubushi-hen.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-01, 14:30   Link #47
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
What creeped me out and made a powerful blast of emotional thriller on me was the "oni & psycho" music played to emphasize Shion's trauma and horror at performing the kejime. It brutally struck me when hearing the noise....
Spoiler:

A powerful and ominous episodes; one of Higurashi's at its finest. Ironic coming from a guy like me that never has had played the game before.

After reading the TIPS for Meakashi-hen coupled with this episode and the previous one, I can start piecing how Wataganashi rolled to its haunting unfolding.

I have also make use of my knowledge gathered from Himatsubushi-hen.
Spoiler:
Masterful thesis - I think along much the same lines. But I've seen this
show needs triggers for things to happen.

For instance:
Spoiler:

It appears that these triggers cause specific individuals to act in a way
contrary to their usual nature.

I think we're actually going to get an idea that there's someone behind
all this who has a very specific purpose and reason for what they're doing.

I've had some ideas about who and why but it's not gelling quite yet.

But many of these events serve as big distractions from something else
I'm feeling.
Old 2006-08-01, 15:59   Link #48
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
Masterful thesis - I think along much the same lines. But I've seen this
show needs triggers for things to happen.

For instance:
Spoiler:

It appears that these triggers cause specific individuals to act in a way
contrary to their usual nature.

I think we're actually going to get an idea that there's someone behind
all this who has a very specific purpose and reason for what they're doing.

I've had some ideas about who and why but it's not gelling quite yet.

But many of these events serve as big distractions from something else
I'm feeling.
Garten from the memento blog actually gave plausible theories on what you're discussing:
1. Someone is putting a sense of distrust among certain villagers of Hinamizawa to be conflicting with others.
2. The single murders happening at each year are steps, or more properly fuses, engineered to spark a chain reaction that culminates in a grand murder.
3. Seems that this grand murder culminates with Rika's death in the year 1983.

However, what I disagree on what Garten posted was that he/she proposes that Hinamizawa is connected to another dimension or Rika herself has the ability to see beyond dimensions of the same place and reality, explaining her supernatural talent to foretell future events.
That theory sounds campy and without mentioning farfetch'd. I feel if there's something supernatural working through Rika as its avatar, then its possible for me to assume that Rika can read the variable permutations happening at future timelines.

I also think that the master culprit or culprits is endorsed with a grand array of psychology, sociology, and cultural folklore regarding Hinamizawa to better understand the behavior of a close-ranged community that the village is. In that way the master culprit can predict and calculate taking into thought which people are highly vindictive and which can be influenced to act as the decoy or scapegoat.

Now another question arises:
If there's no doubt whatsoever that the murders are cause of human intervention at 100%, then which murders had the real culprit had a hand on and which others were committed by those people holding grudges?

What I'm now positively certain about is that the murder streak did not happen by chance. The master culprit knew what he/she was doing and preparations were planned and made within an established time frame of expectancy and anticipation.
Old 2006-08-01, 16:31   Link #49
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

That's a lot like what I've been thinking, too. This whole thing plays out too conveniently to be coincidence, and the 'ZOMG Oyashiro-sama is real!!1' idea is just way too convenient - especially for a story that loves confusing people so much.
Old 2006-08-02, 15:55   Link #50
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
shion has be pushed over the edge...i mean ripping fingernails off O.o that is going too far...the sickos >.< i think mion saved shion...maybe her punishment would have been death instead...and it was shion who suggested to spare her life instead...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-03, 01:34   Link #51
Killer Loli
baka desu

Send a message via AIM to Killer Loli
I can't wait for ep 18, demon or not i kinda hope shion gets some serious payback,
but from what i've read maybe not in the next ep.
And from what I've read, couldn't the watanagashi chapter basically be shion's revenge?
Old 2006-09-24, 01:39   Link #52
Maximum Burst
Intelligent Device

OMG...

Spoiler:
Old 2010-03-06, 02:14   Link #53
OkamiNoKaze

OUCH!!!!, that made me Winch a bit to see Shion's nails get ripped off. Yeah she had some weird alien looking eyes, when she was talking with Oiishi
Old 2010-03-06, 02:39   Link #54
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
This is one of the two scenes I can't watch still without flinching. Ryukishi07 you bastard.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-06-14, 18:20   Link #55
Pengu

Lately the episodes are starting to tear me up on the inside as so many people are being abused and mistreated who just doesn't deserve it.
And it is probably only going to get worse with more abuse and more deaths.

Last edited by Pengu; 2013-06-14 at 18:38.
Closed Thread