AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 10
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 114 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 22.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 26 12.15%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average... 7 3.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.47%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 1.87%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-08, 17:47   Link #81
Sphire

SAO has gotten a bit more interesting since they went back to the main story for me. That said some stuff seems to have happened fast. True, we knew about Asuna and Kirito since the beginning, but to not see more of that romance build up is a shame. I guess the show doesn't consider that too important [mod edit: removed novel comparison].

Now I just gotta accept they really like each other, but it doesn't make me feel invested into the characters or their relationship (feels disjointed when they're fawning over each other). Kirito, from being a loner to then 'giving his life to protect Asuna' all just doesn't move me much.

Some of the rest was a bit cliché, like having an enemy within the guild and Kirito being down to the last sliver of health yet again. At least they killed the dude, although the hand cut was exaggerated when it has no lasting effect. Having not seen something like that before made it look weird, but perhaps that'll come into play some other time. Other than that though, it seemed like an arc ending so just have to wait for more interesting things to occur/get back to the main plot.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-08 at 18:02.
Sphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:58   Link #82
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
That said some stuff seems to have happened fast. True, we knew about Asuna and Kirito since the beginning, but to not see more of that romance build up is a shame.
I guess it isn't too clear to me what more they could have added that would have been realistic in this war-like setting. What we got so far is basically the closest you'd get to going out on dates in this story.
Old 2012-09-08, 18:01   Link #83
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
How would they summon help? And who else would be able to get there in time? They were saved by the fact that Asuna was stalking Kirito.
If nobody could be there in time (why not, with crystals), at least they would expose the killer.

Quote:
They aren't in a fishy situation at all, because they both still have green cursors (self defense). So everyone would naturally believe their stories. Game mechanics are more infallible than any court of law. Not to mention the fact that Kuradeel was a known creep. People didn't know quite how crazy he was, but it's understandable.
Is it impossible to provoke a less than stable person then fight back?
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:02   Link #84
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
Shouldn't it be impossible to attack your own guildmate though?
As a long-time Eve Online MMO player, the only people you can 'safely' attack are your own guild-mates

Quote:
In a death game? Sure... but the less than stable person is probably still hiding in the (near) perfect safety of the starter town.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:05   Link #85
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
If nobody could be there in time (why not, with crystals), at least they would expose the killer.
I don't think there's a "random teleport anywhere" crystal.
Old 2012-09-08, 18:10   Link #86
Kamui04

Quote:

In SAO where you have some strict and known rules, as well as the risk of death. If an unstable person is provoked and resorts to physically attacking first, that in itself is already a problem and justifies self-defense.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:14   Link #87
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Crystals teleport to towns. You may have noticed that every single time they're used someone shouts a name, which we can assume is the name of a town. This is how things normally work in games. And, why exactly would exposing the killer be a priority? Asuna's worried about Kirito's life. Kirito's also worried about Kirito's life. Neither has a strong interest in exposing the killer (to who?) when they can just as easily save his life.

Not to mention you can't use messaging in dungeons for some reason. It makes no sense to me, but they mentioned it before in the blacksmith episode.

Quote:
Of course it's possible. Heck, Asuna almost attacked Kirito in episode 5 just for seeing her with grass stuck to her face. But is the situation really suspicious? I don't think the situation looks suspicious at all from a 3rd party perspective. Also, you can just look at the records to see that the other guy died first.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:22   Link #88
Adigard

Quote:
Not to mention you can't use messaging in dungeons for some reason. It makes no sense to me, but they mentioned it before in the blacksmith episode.
From the translation, it appeared they took a break outside the dungeon entrance (perfectly reasonable spot to stop for lunch after all). As for no messaging inside dungeons? Who knows, but MMO's do tend to have bizarre 'rules' that long time player's just get used to.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:24   Link #89
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

They were too paralysed to operate the menu anyway.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:25   Link #90
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I guess it isn't too clear to me what more they could have added that would have been realistic in this war-like setting. What we got so far is basically the closest you'd get to going out on dates in this story.
I guess it's more how they're fawning over each other really. In a war-like setting, I wouldn't expect people to get together for love. Much less go on dates (although you technically can in SAO). More for companionship, especially because you rarely see the other person. Heck, even during non-war settings, not many people fawn over each other having known little about one another.

Not saying it can't happen or that Kirito and Asuna don't know each other, but it's not like we're privy to that info. So seeing both of them go 'I'll protect you always' or whatnot comes off cheesy. I mean, the way Asuna looks when Kirito proposes, it's like the most important thing she's ever wanted. How am I suppose to connect to that? It's bordering becoming a mushy romance story.
Old 2012-09-08, 18:26   Link #91
Krono

Quote:
Indeed. Relaxed dinner at Asuna's, and they were basically having a picnic in the dungeon safe area. It's not like they can go to the movies or something like that.

Quote:
I don't think there's a "random teleport anywhere" crystal.
The corridor crystals like Kirito used to send the bandit guild to prison, and was used in Griselda's murder arguably qualify as you can set the exit point anywhere and pass it through shared storage. But that requires an accomplice with whom you have a shared storage.

And Kirito would have to provoke both Kuradeel and Godfrey into attacking him to avoid getting the criminal tag, which is unlikely. Otherwise Godfrey could just stand in his way and block him, and Kirito would get the criminal tag.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:27   Link #92
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

BTW, why didn't Kirito use Dark Repulser? Or did he paint it green or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Indeed. Relaxed dinner at Asuna's, and they were basically having a picnic in the dungeon safe area. It's not like they can go to the movies or something like that.
Date spots exist. Kirito and Scilica went through one.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:30   Link #93
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
I guess it's more how they're fawning over each other really. In a war-like setting, I wouldn't expect people to get together for love. Much less go on dates (although you technically can in SAO). More for companionship, especially because you rarely see the other person. Heck, even during non-war settings, not many people fawn over each other having known little about one another.

Not saying it can't happen or that Kirito and Asuna don't know each other, but it's not like we're privy to that info. So seeing both of them go 'I'll protect you always' or whatnot comes off cheesy. I mean, the way Asuna looks when Kirito proposes, it's like the most important thing she's ever wanted. How am I suppose to connect to that? It's bordering becoming a mushy romance story.
Well, maybe i do like romance in anime too much, but their relationship was established in Ep. 1. I mean, they played that first boss together and had some conversations. Then they had some othe interactions, and then, it has been implied that it has been "off-screen" interactions. IMHO it has had the "right" evolution. If i remember, this is a 20 something ep series, and with action, so they can linger too long in some aspects. They ask us to belive, for some it's easy, for others not. Of course, i wrote it before, i do like the romance in anime.
EnOfEridu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:31   Link #94
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

I have to say, Kirito, why the eff did you tell Asuna u didn't mean you wanted to do what happened [mod edit: removed novel reference] :P should've kept the mood going. Anyways, I really liked this episode partially because of how well done the crazed Kuradeel and the stupid Godfrey were done. The duel was okay, and I really like how they showed the actual time pause with Heathcliff hitting Kirito. Anyways, and damn, all these deleted comments. I will be watching this episode twice, just so I can make sure I didn't miss anything.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-08 at 18:43. Reason: no novel comparison outside spoiler tags
M1sFyr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:33   Link #95
Peanutbutter

Nobody saying anything about poor Godfrey? Damn, he appears for a few minutes and poof, he's gone. I was almost crying there.

The feeling that you know you're dying. Argh.

Episode felt rather fast but I guessed it'll do. Not enough of moe Asuna. Demand more angry Asuna.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:34   Link #96
Clarste
Human

They did have sex. Off-screen, PG13, video game sex. Note that Asuna was completely naked in bed afterwards (ie: she took off her underwear). ...you're making me feel dirty for noticing that. Anyway, he said that that's not what he meant when he asked to stay the night, but he never actually refused her.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:37   Link #97
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^I think people were just too busy being angry at his murderer.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:40   Link #98
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

That sex scene for me was a "little" too much. But, well, asking to get married is the "knightly" thing to do "after" you took the lady innocence, right, Kirito.

Also, Kayaba maybe a bad guy, but he made damn sure sex was simulated, didn't he?
Old 2012-09-08, 18:42   Link #99
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Nobody saying anything about poor Godfrey? Damn, he appears for a few minutes and poof, he's gone. I was almost crying there.
That douchebag brought it upon himself, really. This happens when you have bird droppings for brains. Good riddance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post
That sex scene for me was a "little" too much.
Seriously? They couldn't have made it more tame if they tried. And it happens off-screen, we can only tell since Asuna is naked in bed afterwards. Not to mention, both Asuna and Kirito are obviously deeply in love and are well above the Japanese age of consent. Plus, there are no STDs or contraception to worry about in an MMO. And they just went through a life or death situation that was a bit too close for comfort.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:44   Link #100
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
That douchebag brought it upon himself, really. This happens when you have bird droppings for brains. Good riddance.
I completely agree. He was getting on my nerves from the first fucking time i saw him. Sooo annoying (of course, he didn't deserve to die, but, well, no good deed goes unpunished)