AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 22 25.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 41.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 21.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-26, 22:49   Link #21
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Episode 4 screenshots courtesy of Random Curiosity.

Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-10-26, 23:39   Link #22
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

It kinda sucks when there's nothing to complain about.

As someone who's usually one of those game players/novel readers, I'm kinda used to watching animes and then complaining about how "they messed up _____". My one biggest concern for the Kyoani Kanon is how they're placing all the heroine's events into motion at the same time ("will they mess things up by rushing things?"). But the pacing of this episode proved that Kyoani is quite confident that they can tell the story properly without losing pace. It's also quite amazing to see how they managed to link all these seperate events together into one coherent story.

Of course, there will be scenes where quick pacing will be needed. I hope Kyoani can get those "tense" moments done right too. Especially considering they're moving all the routes at once, it'll be interesting to see how it'll work out when we get to the mid/latter portions.

And yeah, there were quite a lot of foreshadowing and hints in this episode, it doesn't take a gamer to notice that everyone is hiding something.

Well, that's pretty much it, the anime's so stable there's almost nothing to talk about for people who already know the story to death.

Spoiler for this episode:
Old 2006-10-27, 01:00   Link #23
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I was kinda disappointed in the building up of Mai in the previous episode but not really doing anything with it.
I'll admit, I am really looking forward to waht they do with Mai in this series... but I pretty much figured she wouldnt show much in this episode... but then again knownig the story helps.... honestly I was surprised at how quickly she showed up in the kyoani version. Hopefully this means we will really get to explore it a bit more than the previous version.

Over all, again, I ahve to agree with a previous post.... there really is not mcuh to complain about ... and I really loved how they furthered the Ayu-Makoto relationship in small touches. But then again, Kyoani probably has taken a lot of care with getting this series right, since a lot of people already know the general story.

Spoiler for Makoto:

I wonder if my nihongo is getting better, or I just know enough of the story, that I was able to follow most everything. *shrugs* Three years I'd hope it's my nihongo... but probably not

I think I saw a few things that might be references to other Kyoani works, but I'll have to watch it again to be sure. I could have sworn Tsuyura look-a-like was on the track team. I have to go back and watch that again. Maybe I'm just being hopeful?
Old 2006-10-27, 02:22   Link #24
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Yah, me neither. I can't find anything wrong with this episode (even the pacing ) . If this was a major(plot-important) episode I would give this a 9.

Quote:
Spoiler for this episode:
That was a nice touch. AFAIK those two didn't know each other existed in the game. It is somewhat bold of KyoAni to have them interact with each other; thankfully KyoAni understands the personalities of both characters well enough to extrapolate their action/conversation consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todkapuz View Post
Spoiler for Makoto:
Spoiler:

Chibi Ayu is cute! Way off the scale! That's cheating!
Actually, I always thought that the game version of chibi Ayu looks a bit weird. Thankfully KyoAni modified her apparent (somewhat).

Nayuki got a nice boost as well. She is supposed to be (according to Ayu) tall, slender, yet well-endowed. You don't really see that in the game, however (because of the artist's drawing style). The original gym scene is really a very nice form of goodie fanservice .
She got boosted character-wise, as well. What Kaori said about Nayuki is original- that is, not in the game. In the game, Nayuki comes off a bit flatter in personality compared to other characters. The speech from Kaori helped build a 3-D character sketch of Nayuki.

Ayu actually help unpack the room! (orz)

The dialogue between Nayuki and Yuuichi is, again, partially original. From the conversation the viewers understand that Yuuichi is, if somewhat mean-spirited, kind person. He agreed to go get the book even when Nayuki said no.

Finally, Mai's entrance is excellent. Really set the mood for her route.

(I thought her sword is pretty dull, however- it can't even slice a banana in half )

Anyway, the preview is interesting.
Spoiler:

Conclusion:
I can't help but feel that prehaps KyoAni broke down each part of the dialogues between characters into blocks, wrote them on little papers, scatter these pieces of papers onto a table, and reassemble them while adding new material.
The resulting new plot, while true to the major plotline, is rather refreshing to game players.
Old 2006-10-27, 03:33   Link #25
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The beauty of syoujyonoori - 少女の檻 (Cage of Maiden) really sinks as Mai readies her hand-and-a-half. This single song is perhaps the one that I love the most in Kanon, just like how much I have fallen for Futari in AIR... and every bit as significant. Personally, this very scene just forces all sorts of memory back into me...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-27, 05:40   Link #26
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
LOL!!! )

Thanks for making me start the day with a hearty laugh! (^_^)b
Old 2006-10-27, 06:00   Link #27
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Well, one can argue that there is almost nothing remotely complainable... and there's really nothing superbly outstanding yet either. It's all very nice thus far, but without attachment to the girls, it's just a very well done light hearted series thus far... but with all due respect, considering that this is supposed to be just the introductionary stage of the anime (( I can't remember shit about the 2002 version, and I've never bothered to pick up the game, so I suppose I just don't feel it...yet. )), I've got to really commend Kyoto Animation for not making it feel mediocre.

At this pace, can anyone knowledgable give me an approximation when will the real deal past these "Yuuchi gets to know the girls, feels a disturbance in the Force while we're thrown foreshadowings every single episode?" start to hit us?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-27, 06:01   Link #28
Zappster

Episode 4 was another good 'un. As a first time viewer, I'm still finding it very enjoyable to watch. The only thing that puzzles me is some of the hate for Ayu, she's just so damn adorable, and I couldn't possibly hate her unless of course something happens further down the line which might change my view of her. I'm guessing this something is probably the reason why there's some hate for her? Anyway I don't want to be spoiled so I'll leave my pondering at that. Overall I thought it was top stuff.
Old 2006-10-27, 06:08   Link #29
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
The only thing that puzzles me is some of the hate for Ayu, she's just so damn adorable, and I couldn't possibly hate her unless of course something happens further down the line which might change my view of her.
Nah... I think it's just people playing favourites for the most part. I don't think most Kanon fans hate Ayu at all, even if they may like other characters more. Spoilers aside, I wouldn't read that much into it.
Old 2006-10-27, 07:13   Link #30
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
lol again a fun ep 4...
tbh i was a little disappointed to not see mai star in this ep but still this is A* material we see the relationship between yuuichi and the girls deepens as more development is revealed...
funny how yuuichi "turned the tables" on poor matoko and poor little ayu falls on the streets...again...
i never knew that mokoto had a shy personality but after meeting ayu her impression on me has changed...cute is the word to put it ^_^
wow im totally overloaded with uguu~ and kuu~

the next ep seems interesting...i want shiori and mai! ^__^ and also more from the cowardly mokoto

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2006-10-27 at 09:29.
Old 2006-10-27, 07:14   Link #31
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
The episode certainly promises quite a bit...Though as it is, I'm a little disappointed Mai doesn't feature much in this one.

It would seem that Ayu indeed might have a very big connection to Yuuichi's forgotten past, or perhaps even the reason why he forgot about it. I haven't watched/played the first series and the game, so it's purely guesswork from watching Akiko's reaction and such.
Old 2006-10-27, 09:28   Link #32
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

How come I can't vote? Anyhow, I also really really enjoyed the interaction between Makoto and Ayu. I never pictured Makoto as being shy before but it works.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-27, 09:31   Link #33
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ you arent the only one who cant vote >.< the poll is locked...
and about makoto and ayu getting along...its destiny

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-27, 09:36   Link #34
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Is it because they both say the expressions "Auu~" and "Uguu~"? Still, Ayu seems to get along quite well with everyone so easily. Makoto is just....shy. Mmm, she never leaves the house too. Well, not yet anyway.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-10-27, 09:57   Link #35
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

its great to listen that the episode has turned out wel...but why the hell have SS-Eclipse not released it??? its pissin me of...uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 2006-10-27, 09:59   Link #36
Skane
Anime Snark

Aiyeeee! Why must they yank my chains so? I had been waiting for an entire week to see more of Mai, and she ends up being the cliffhanger again.

ORZ

I demand selfishly that they have at least 5 minutes of Mai in Episode 05!!!!

Will comment more on Ep04 after I have watched the fansubs.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-27, 10:00   Link #37
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
its great to listen that the episode has turned out wel...but why the hell have SS-Eclipse not released it??? its pissin me of...uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Dude... it hasn't even been 24hrs yet... If you prefer speed over accuracy, there's always speedsubs for you.

Narf.
Old 2006-10-27, 10:47   Link #38
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Well, one can argue that there is almost nothing remotely complainable... and there's really nothing superbly outstanding yet either. It's all very nice thus far, but without attachment to the girls, it's just a very well done light hearted series thus far... but with all due respect, considering that this is supposed to be just the introductionary stage of the anime (( I can't remember shit about the 2002 version, and I've never bothered to pick up the game, so I suppose I just don't feel it...yet. )), I've got to really commend Kyoto Animation for not making it feel mediocre.

At this pace, can anyone knowledgable give me an approximation when will the real deal past these "Yuuchi gets to know the girls, feels a disturbance in the Force while we're thrown foreshadowings every single episode?" start to hit us?

You're getting assailed all the time it's just not as melodramatic as the previous version. This is a 24 episode series. I thought that the original series was too melodramatic. But, it was 13 episodes so they had to cram it in. This version requires you to be observant.
Spoiler:

Last edited by orion; 2006-10-27 at 11:08.
Old 2006-10-27, 11:07   Link #39
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You're getting assailed all the time it's just not as melodramatic as the previous version. This is a 24 episode series. I thought that the original series was too melodramatic. But, it was 13 episodes so they had to cram it in. This version requires you to be observant.
Spoiler:
Hey, I'm not complaining about the foreshadowings. If anything, I'm commending it since it adds a different flair into a series that is clearly taking it's sweet time to properly develop all the girl's story before it actually gets into their sad story. Like I said, I don't remember a single damn thing about the 2002 version.

I've got my own 1+1s in how the foreshadowing works so far, (( the red snow is bloody obvious, really. )), but in the end, it's still foreshadowing. It's like Kyoto Animations waving the meat right in your face with it's lingering smell but won't let you get a bite, much less chow it down yet.

All I asked was an approximation from those who've played the game/remembered the original 2002 version of when the girl introductory stage of anime will be done, because there's clearly still some girls who haven't been properly introduced from Yuuichi's perspective. Anyway, forget it. Watching Episode 4, I think it will probably be over in an episode or 2.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-27, 11:08   Link #40
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Just letting everyone know, for those who were waiting for SS-Eclipse's version of episode 4...it's out.

-- Well, I'm out
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Closed Thread