AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-16, 00:38   Link #61
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Yeah, I just realized that too. I'll go back and (try to) change it.

Normally TL notes give me hives, but in a case like this, maybe it would be better to stick a note in the bio and then refer to Leon as "he" by default?
If it doesn't get too irritating on the editors, you can use Leon/Lion's name to replace instances of "he" or "she" as a gender-neutral alternative.
Old 2010-08-16, 00:39   Link #62
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
I can't imagine Kyrie actually thinking that way about Ange.
Remember what Dlanor said about pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Did they think Kinzo was gonna have the place guarded?
They wouldn't put it past him.
Old 2010-08-16, 00:42   Link #63
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Remember what Dlanor said about pieces?
Which parts of this episode, if any, were the board?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-08-16, 00:46   Link #64
Helmet-kun
Local Crackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
If it doesn't get too irritating on the editors, you can use Leon/Lion's name to replace instances of "he" or "she" as a gender-neutral alternative.
I don't mean to offend, but sticking Leon's name to replace pronouns will probably cause some giggles/irritation. Why not use 'it' instead?

Alternatively, take a vote. If the majority thinks of Leon as male, use he, and if they think Leon's a she, switch to Lion/Lyon and use she. It's an episode that revolves around fan theories, anyway, so why not?
Old 2010-08-16, 00:46   Link #65
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Which parts of this episode, if any, were the board?
All of it? I'd think that any story containing human and fantasy characters that is set up by witches would be considered a gameboard.

Dlanor's point was that pieces/characters will never act in ways which they couldn't. So yes, I do think that Ange's mother hates her. I don't, however, buy that she killed everyone.
Old 2010-08-16, 00:48   Link #66
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
All of it? I'd think that any story containing human and fantasy characters that is set up by witches would be considered a gameboard.

Dlanor's point was that pieces/characters will never act in ways which they couldn't. So yes, I do think that Ange's mother hates her. I don't, however, buy that she killed everyone.
Depending on your definition of "couldn't," there are barely any restrictions on a piece's actions. If you're allowed to separate context and motive from action, it's functionally the same for all but the strictest moral compasses.

If you can take "Kyrie might, under some incredibly specific circumstances, go all Reservoir Dogs on everybody" and spin that into "I can have Kyrie bust a cap in everybody for any reason I want," then I don't see how you couldn't do the same for nearly everyone present.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-08-16, 00:51   Link #67
Helmet-kun
Local Crackpot

Quote:
Dlanor's point was that pieces/characters will never act in ways which they couldn't. So yes, I do think that Ange's mother hates her.
Just because they could doesn't mean they would. I don't see why Kyrie would hate Ange, which is why I don't buy it, but that doesn't stop the possibility.
Old 2010-08-16, 00:55   Link #68
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
If you can take "Kyrie might, under some incredibly specific circumstances, go all Reservoir Dogs on everybody" and spin that into "I can have Kyrie bust a cap in everybody for any reason I want," then I don't see how you couldn't do the same for nearly everyone present.
Isn't this exactly what makes them such a terrible family, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet-kun View Post
I don't see why Kyrie would hate Ange, which is why I don't buy it, but that doesn't stop the possibility.
Because she only cares about Rudolf. Ange is just a way of keeping Rudolf close to her. She explains this to Eva, actually.
Old 2010-08-16, 00:55   Link #69
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:

But that's the problem - the tea party showing has no fantasy elements. The only thing fantasy about is Beatrice showing up, but she ends up being a dead shell by the time the guns start firing off. Bern even takes Lion into the parlor at one point and tries to get Kyrie to shoot him. So really, it's less of a board and more of a clusterfuck display to mock Ange who is present in the tea party but not anytime else.

Sorry but there is nothing foreshadowing Kyrie's hatred of her own daughter in any games up to this point. Battler is understandable, but never did Kyrie say anything about hating Ange. If anything she thinks Ange is a blessing because she was able to marry Rudolf and have a child after giving a stillbirth.
Old 2010-08-16, 00:56   Link #70
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Considering the role that children played in who Rudolph married first, I don't think it would be too farfetched that Kyrie might think of Ange as a tool to anchor Rudolph to her on some level regardless if she loves her or not.
Old 2010-08-16, 01:01   Link #71
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
But that's the problem - the tea party showing has no fantasy elements.
...Not really my point at all.

Quote:
Sorry but there is nothing foreshadowing Kyrie's hatred of her own daughter in any games up to this point.
Please stop using Knox 8 as a method to deny things you don't like. Not every single story element has to have foreshadowing, only things important to the mystery.

Either way, I'm aware that the entire Tea Party is just Bern fucking with Ange again, but I do think there may be a lot of truth to it, as well. It just fits too well with Eva's behaviour in The Witches' Tanabata.
Old 2010-08-16, 01:23   Link #72
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Please stop using Knox 8 as a method to deny things you don't like. Not every single story element has to have foreshadowing, only things important to the mystery.

Either way, I'm aware that the entire Tea Party is just Bern fucking with Ange again, but I do think there may be a lot of truth to it, as well. It just fits too well with Eva's behaviour in The Witches' Tanabata.
It's not about Knox 8th. You're taking Kyrie's behavior in a game without love for face value. This is Bern we're talking about - someone who has absolutely no love for the gameboard and looks at everyone as pieces for her amusement. Call me bias if you want, but I just can't see Kyrie turning around and saying she hates Ange after we were told how she planned gifts in advanced for her daughter's birthday and even took her to the amusement park with Battler. She didn't have to do all those things.

And do you think Rudolf really takes pleasure in killing people as well. After everything that happened with Battler I can't imagine him going on a killing spree with Kyrie.
Old 2010-08-16, 01:27   Link #73
Helmet-kun
Local Crackpot

...Perhaps that, knowing that she was going to die, Kyrie just made shit up about her hating Ange so that Eva would take pity on her and take care of her.

This coming from a perspective 'with love'.
Old 2010-08-16, 01:35   Link #74
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet-kun View Post
This coming from a perspective 'with love'.
This comes back to Maria's 'magic' being just her way of coping with her mother being a horrible abusive bitch, though.

Seeing the world through a perspective of 'love' sounds an awful lot like running away from unpleasant truths to me.
Old 2010-08-16, 01:44   Link #75
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay I'll probably begin later today, but for reference's sake, here's the original form of Van Din's 20 Rules of Writing Detective Fiction:

Spoiler for The 20 Rules of Detective Fiction (Spoilers?):
Old 2010-08-16, 01:47   Link #76
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
This comes back to Maria's 'magic' being just her way of coping with her mother being a horrible abusive bitch, though.

Seeing the world through a perspective of 'love' sounds an awful lot like running away from unpleasant truths to me.
Well there are different types of love. Ange had no love for Eva and rejected her aunt, who was just as miserable as she was if not more so. So would Ange having love for Eva mean she was running from an unpleasant truth?
Old 2010-08-16, 01:57   Link #77
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Well there are different types of love. Ange had no love for Eva and rejected her aunt, who was just as miserable as she was if not more so. So would Ange having love for Eva mean she was running from an unpleasant truth?
Hmm, you're right. More like the opposite, as Ange hating her aunt allows her to pretend that her parents aren't murderers lets her blame a specific person for the events of October 1986 rather than just the vague and imperceptible existence of "The Golden Witch Beatrice".

Guess 'love' and 'magic' aren't quite the same thing. They're related, but...
Old 2010-08-16, 02:01   Link #78
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

is this the last part of the game where all answer will be revealed??
Old 2010-08-16, 02:05   Link #79
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Knight View Post
is this the last part of the game where all answer will be revealed??
Ahaaahahahahahaha.

Oh man that made my day. Thanks, dude.
Old 2010-08-16, 02:23   Link #80
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay time for me to begin.

Requiem of the Golden Witch

This section goes from the start of the game to the intro video.

Spoiler for Summaries:

Spoiler for RED TEXT:

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2010-08-16 at 02:34. Reason: Damn typos.
Closed Thread