AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 137 69.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 19.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 8.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-12, 13:58   Link #61
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Litteraly my best episode so far (beating the exceptionnal episode 12 and 14 altogether)
I did feel the pace slightly rushed, but it guess it was a good choice... no dead time, no pause... just pure goodness (both in action and revelation/feelings)

While mai didn't have the same allocated focus time unlike Makoto, i felt it was 2-3 times much more meaningful. (and all of you know that makoto's arc was far from being flat)

That episode had almost everything (even joke... "yo yuuichi" from mai just caught me completely offguard, absolutely defenseless )
And frankly, one word comes from my mind : beauty (especially the outrageous gorgeous last blow of Mai against the last demon)

Mai & chibi-mai were really too cute... could melt any stone heart
-mai asking multiple times for food while yuuichi is taking care of her... i felt my eyes freeze, with some crazy "i'm hungry" which was almost as powerful as makoto's line or ayu's uguu *drools*
-chibi mai with her adorable animal love... (KHAAAA, I WANT TO TAKE HER HOME *calms himself ~~* )
Her voice was a mixture of Nanoha and Rika... i was excepting some "nano" and "nipa~" <3

*gasp* not enough word to express...my...praise >_>

gonna worshipping KyoAni at this rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i
Spoiler:
actually, yuuichi said it in episode 1 (that's why i had that freaky theory with the wheat field... and talking about it, this episode almost made me fell from my chair "are you kidding me?!" concerning my very first thoughts and brainstorming )

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-01-12 at 14:11.
Old 2007-01-12, 14:05   Link #62
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(a combination of ~nano and ~nipa isn't exactly healthy. That would've been the accented notes of death...)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-01-12, 14:06   Link #63
Oberon

Thanks, panzerfan and houkoholic for those quick replies. Knowing this pacifies my initial annoyance and I can go back to enjoy the episode as I did before I read the bit I quoted in my other post.
Old 2007-01-12, 14:19   Link #64
MidnighT-WolF

Excellent episode, i'm looking forward to see the normal "old" Mai in the everyday school life now ...

Oh and yes next week is SHIORI!!!! Weepeeh!
Old 2007-01-12, 14:21   Link #65
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Wow! That's really all I can say (other than to give this ep a heartfull and well deserved "10").

I do hope that we get a little bit of an epilouge next ep before the Shiori and Nayuki stuff begins.

Old 2007-01-12, 14:21   Link #66
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Four words. This episode is awsome!

Spoiler:

Now onto our next tragic heroines, Shiori and Ayu! Can it be done well with only around 10 episodes to go? I hope so...
Old 2007-01-12, 15:14   Link #67
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Poor Nayuki; it seems like Yuuichi isn't the only one taking her foregranted.

But seriously speaking now, I'm glad to hear confirmation from SS/Eclipse that it will be up to 26 eps now, because even then I find it hard to believe they can fit Shiori, Nayuki, Ayu, AND the epilogue all in 11 eps, let alone 9. Me thinks that they did indeed spent WAAAYY too much time with Makoto.

As for the episode, by far and away the best episode of the series. I rarely give out scores, but definitely this is a 10 for me. Highlights include
- Action scenes, most particularly the lets jump from 3 stories high slash
- Loli Mai (who IMO pwns all other loli versions of the other girls, mainly because of the bunny ears)
- Bunny eared teenage Mai
- Suicide scene, because it was her own fault that the demons are there, ergo the reason why Sayuri and Yuuichi got hurt, thus the reason why she stabbed herself (or at least that's what I gather)
- I actually cried at the final scene when 'hope' faded away, and it takes a whole darn lot for anything to make me cry

As for the preview, I sense impending doom from hearing Ayu's "Akiko-san ga.... Akiko-san ga..." Props to Horie Yui, which shows yet again how great a seiyuu she is.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-01-12, 15:30   Link #68
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Wonderful episode, especially because it explained a lot of things I hadn't understood before.

Another 10.. heh .. they're becoming quite a number I've given now, after those I gave to episodes 8-10-12-14.
Usually I try to be strict on tens for single episodes, but probably this is the case it can't just be helped ^^

Oh, I'm pleased to see Shiori incoming, she's probably my favourite lady of the group. Delicate, classy, well mannered, beautiful, she appeals a lot to me
Old 2007-01-12, 15:38   Link #69
tritoch

Heh. End of my favorite arc. KyoAni did such a great job on this episode that I cried so darn hard I am ashamed that I am a man. hehe

Fave scene: Mai creating those snow bunnies for her mom outside the hospital.
Old 2007-01-12, 16:24   Link #70
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
What's this about having 26 episodes!?

In any case, this episode's pasing was a little too fast the first time I watched it. I think the first half was decent; the second half was a flood of information and not enough time was spent on the visual details. However, when a translation was made and after I rewatched it, I think it was done suitably well. A little faster than I would have wanted it, but sufficient enough now that I know what they're talking about. lol

Just a little one-on-one time
This is the kind of episode that you don't see a lot in anime these days, especially when they consist of the harem genre. I've seen Utawarerumono, Lamune, Ai Yori Aoshi, and Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai. Each one, there's hardly any alone-time between the male protagonist and one of the females. Somebody's always interupting the conversation, interupting the first kiss, interupting particularly good, dramatic moments and it bugs me to hell. However, in episode 15, you will notice just a handful of characters. In fact, the only characters were Yuuichi, Yuuichi when he was seven, Mai (the seiryuu voiced her younger self too O_o ), and her mother. This is what I've been wanting for a while. I don't need or want others to ask the guy or girl in question how they feel about each other. Their feelings for each other - romantic or professional - should be discovered by interacting exclusively with themselves or with their seemingly romantic partners.

A lot of anime just have to have a whole slew of co-stars, and I just don't think that's necessary. That's why I'm particularly happy with the structure of episode 15. It was literally just Mai, Yuuichi, and the demons for 24 minutes. They fought together, talked together, and helped each other with their problems without a whole slew of other people getting in the way. This produces a much more intimate, delicate, and a more dramatic atmosphere - the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I've failed over and over to find the perfect romantic anime to watch. Although Kanon isn't exactly romance since Yuuichi's tastes shift from girl to girl, it's pretty close to it. This is because half the time, the girls don't ever get in the way with Yuuichi's other affairs. I guess in that sense, it was bound to be good from the start.

Comparing current arcs
As a comparison between the Makoto and Mai arc, the latter is obviously more interesting to watch. Both were equally surreal in terms of content, but for Makoto, the pacing felt slow and unimpressive and therefore difficult to watch. Nothing I felt for Makoto was "Oh wow! Are you serious!?" aside from the fact that she wasn't human. She never really changed at all; she was just a nuisance that wanted her wants met. This kind of character doesn't suit me but it might relate to others better; as a result, I speak very subjectively about her.

Mai, however, had to come to terms with apower she possessed and loathed. This theme alone rings a better bell to my ears. As a person, she was unusual from beginning to end and that helped reinforce my desire to watch her with each episode that premiered. The difference in unusuality between Makoto and Mai is that: one is too stubborn to change herself; as time goes by, she gets dumber and dumber to the point that any hope of character progression is futile. The other speaks in riddles, assuming she chooses to speak at all. But she is aware of some of the most basic things that mean a lot to her. I get the impression that Mai indeed wants to change herself; how to do it is beyond her means. That's why she looks to Yuuichi for support and growth. I get a better mystery quality from Mai than Makoto, and the story was far more complex. I think that's why I can tolerate Mai better.

I think it also helped that each episode was a bigger revelation with higher-reaching consequences than the previous. In episode 12, Mai caused havoc in the school dance; what would become of her, who could say. In episode 13, we learn that the demons are actually after Yuuichi. In episode 14, we're left with a cliffhanger uncertain as to whether or not they will succeed or fail. All the cliffhangers for Makoto seemed pretty mellow. Didn't make me feel all that excited to watch the next release.

Answering Mai
Episode 15 answered all the questions I hoped it would. Although, there were additional new wierd phenomenons that we had to literally take at face value, it certainly wasn't unbelievable given what we've already seen of Mai.

Indeed, Yuuichi and Mai were childhood friends and Yuuichi didn't have any qualms to Mai's unique strength. I guess that can be reason enough for Mai to love him (children can love others for some of the most unexpected and simple reasons), and when Mai created a lie in an attempt to keep her friend around, it took physical manifestation using the power she possessed, calling them demons (I wonder why five, though). Ten years is also a lot of time to misinterpret a memory, and Mai presumed that he ran away, just like all the others scared of a power they do not understand.

Interesting analogy is, if the demons were something that Mai created, her desire to kill them probably meant that Mai disliked her powers. Doing so was a mean of inflicting pain on herself because she didn't like what she was (evident from the strange bruises on her arms and legs). If this is the case, is this also why she and Sayuri relate so well...?

This kind of "slitting your own wrists" led the demons to seek Yuuichi out and ask him to help wake Mai to her senses. Reclaim lost happiness, if you will. If she hadn't, she would most certainly have destroyed herself. This would explain why the demons errupted in full force ever since Yuuichi arrived in the city. This also explains why it didn't tear Yuuichi to pieces in the courtyard as it did to Sayuri. As for why Sayuri took the brunt of the damage, perhaps the power that Mai had would only accept Yuuichi and no one else. This is an interpretation left to the viewers; I'm only suggesting what I think might be the case.

Would you think that Mai has a secret crush on Yuuichi? Dunno. The episode ended before she could say any more words. Will we get around to it in future episodes? I certainly hope so. At least Mai's still around unlike Makoto. Now that two friends are reunited after all this blood and fighting, it would be a shame to let it go.

Final comments
Foxes taking form of humans, a gifted child with an unpredictable level of power. I wonder if Mai will continue to demonstrate or use it or not. It'll probably be at a minimalistic level but at least she no longer has to fight it.

All the strange phenomenons that have tied everything together in Kanon have ended. No more demons, no more sword swinging, no more roaming foxes. It would seem to suggest that life for Yuuichi is about to become pretty normal now (not if Mai can do something about it). But don't take my word for it. If the wings behind Ayu mean anything in the Kanon OP, then I don't think we've seen the last of the wierd and spectacular.
Old 2007-01-12, 16:30   Link #71
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

hey..is it true that there will be 26 episodes..causee SS-Eclipse decreased the size to allow the series to fit in one DVD..

Well neway..a great episode...the last part fell rushed a bit...but they cleared Mai's past much better than they did it in Toei. So thanks a million KyoAni. the first half was perfect. The second even if rushed was great none the less.

Warning to KyoAni...Please dont scare us again. The MAi's suicide attempt almost gave me a heart attack. A beautiful episode. hope to see normal and joyful Mai more with Kawaii Sayuri and Amano
Old 2007-01-12, 16:44   Link #72
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

So probably a stupid question, but why did the "demon" attack Sayuri so savagely? If Mai created the demons with her power and it was revealed that they were trying to communicate with Yuuichi why the bloody mess that sent Sayuri to the hospital?

I liked how the entity that attacked Yuuichi in the courtyard (after causing him to be hurled through the window) was emitting layers of whispering sounds. And Mai's counter attack was wonderfully choreographed. Much more dramatic than the Toei version.

I also appreciated how the reanimated bird flying around was suddenly followed by a scene of a rock crashing through the window. At first I thought it was the bird!

Great episode. I'm going to watch it again now.
Old 2007-01-12, 16:52   Link #73
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
As I mentioned my earlier post above, it's probably due to the fact that the demons, or Mai's power if you will, would only accept Yuuichi and nobody else. When it saw that the person close to Mai wasn't the Yuuichi it was seeking, it had a tantrum (Mai has a tantrum too. You saw it in episode 14). I'm only guessing, Richard 23, but this does seem like a reasonable explanation.

I think the only other thing that didn't get explained is how Mai went from a giddy child to utter stoicism. Do you think it's because, since I presume that Mai was having a physical conflict with herself, her personality was split in the process of creating those demons? If so, has defeating them permanently left her in the same state or has the child healed her completely - mentality and all? I'm hoping we'll get to see Mai at least one more time just to know what becomes of her.

The only fault I find with this episode is the camera swinging around Yuuichi's front face in the first half. As it did so, his spiky hair suddenly jumped to the other side. That was particularly annoying. lol
Old 2007-01-12, 16:53   Link #74
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

A very good conclusion to Mai's story. KyoAni = pure win ... i gave it a 9, simply because the ending felt a bit abrupt... it didn't deliver the emotions it was suposed to in the fullest. Imo they should have spent some more time with Yuuichi brooding over Mai's sucide... her mirracle took effect too soon imo.

Looks like Shiori's arc kicks in next week... i am so looking towards that one, simply because i like Shiori the most, and thus far she has suffered from immense lack of screentime
Old 2007-01-12, 16:55   Link #75
rogueblade

That was....
That was....

I got misty eyed. I've never been misty eyed at any media other than the ending of Titanic (and that was when i was really small). Good lord, well done KyoAni.
I hope we see Mai and Sayuri a little more in Shiori's arc, it did seem a bit abrupt for me to have such a clear split between Mai's and Shirori's arc (as the preview indicates), although i suppose it's a given, considering the time restraints.

En-core.
Old 2007-01-12, 16:56   Link #76
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
hey..is it true that there will be 26 episodes..causee SS-Eclipse decreased the size to allow the series to fit in one DVD..
However, there's been a lot of speculation whether they will be epilogue episodes or worse, recap episodes. Ideally, I'd love to see more meaningful story in these, but I'm not opposed to an epilogue episode. About all that's useful from a recap episode like Air's is the final credit crawl.

As for releases, we won't be changing anything. Even at 24 episodes, ours wouldn't fit on ONE single-layer DVD. Ah well, different strokes for different folks, I s'pose. ;)

Quote:
Well neway..a great episode...the last part fell rushed a bit...but they cleared Mai's past much better than they did it in Toei. So thanks a million KyoAni. the first half was perfect. The second even if rushed was great none the less.
That's what I was saying in anther thread. ToeiAni left out a LOT of important details which KyoAni, using the additional episodes they had, filled in with that backstory. Having that backstory in place really made the ending of the arc a lot more coherent this time around. The original had much of the visuals (girl in bunny ears in the wheat field), but none of the real material explaining why she was so sad.

As for its being "rushed", well, yeah, it did sorta feel rushed. But there's a term I have for what KyoAni did which made it feel that they managed to tell the story well given the amount of time: Story density. They packed a lot of story in a short amount of time, then paced it very quickly. But then again, for what happened, I don't think you could have paced it any differently.

--Ian.
Old 2007-01-12, 17:13   Link #77
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Mai's backstory was told with so much love & care, yet again it helps so much that they're using the wonderful musical score from the game. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It'll be interesting to see how Mai & Sayuri shall be next episode. Its easy to see that Shiori's arc starts next week - so we won't see them as often. Though unlike Makoto they can still appear.
Old 2007-01-12, 17:20   Link #78
kingdom_elladrel
Ayu-ism

That's one hell of an episode! It gets a perfect 10 for me. Excellent conclusion to Mai's arc. There's gonna be some shuffling around in my favourite characters list now, of course, heheh.
Old 2007-01-12, 17:20   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@IRJustman, Glad to hear you aren't changing the encode density ... two DVDs worth of archive is fine with me. I'm just finding myself trying to decide whether to scotch up the money for the R2 set or continue hoping that maybe/haps this one will break the "drama" barrier and get an R1 license.
Old 2007-01-12, 17:26   Link #80
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

[About why the demon attacked Sayuri so savagely]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
As I mentioned my earlier post above, it's probably due to the fact that the demons, or Mai's power if you will, would only accept Yuuichi and nobody else. When it saw that the person close to Mai wasn't the Yuuichi it was seeking, it had a tantrum (Mai has a tantrum too. You saw it in episode 14). I'm only guessing, Richard 23, but this does seem like a reasonable explanation.
Could be. Or maybe they were just acting the way she expected them to. That is, she created them, gave them power, and they acted accordingly. It seems over time she had forgotten or never even realized until Yuuichi explained it to her that the "demons" were physical manifestations of her own power.

So they were out of her control and acting like the demons she claimed were coming. It seemed in the flashback that the monsters or demons were the construction machinery that came to tear up her precious playground (barley field) and replace it with the new school that she ended up attending. Or maybe they, to her, were manifestations of the demons that she eventually fought while waiting for that friend from long ago to return.

I guess then I don't think it was well explained why Yuuichi stated that Mai was lying about the demons. Unless it was pure coincidence that the barley field was replaced by the school. Was she lying or just giving a childish explanation for what happened to her favorite place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
I think the only other thing that didn't get explained is how Mai went from a giddy child to utter stoicism. Do you think it's because, since I presume that Mai was having a physical conflict with herself, her personality was split in the process of creating those demons? If so, has defeating them permanently left her in the same state or has the child healed her completely - mentality and all? I'm hoping we'll get to see Mai at least one more time just to know what becomes of her.
Well maybe it's because her power made her an outcast, feared by her peers. She had assumed all this time that Yuuichi left because he was afraid of her when that wasn't the case at all. He had to return home after summer break. She also mentioned more than once (at least in the SS-Eclipse translation) that she once had a friend but he left her too, which suggests to me that she lost more than one friend out of fear or revulsion.

That's enough to make the giddiest child revert to "utter stoicism," don't you think? ;-)

I suppose the game explains things in more detail. Unfortunately the translation I played didn't get as far as Kanon 2006 has. Maybe a game veteran can expand on Mai's story for us....
Closed Thread