Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-12-20, 12:57   Link #1
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Smile Wanted: Anime Movies Recommendations

I would like to watch an anime movie but I am unsure which I should watch tonight.

No ecchi or yaoi/yuri please.

Here are some I have watched myself:

Wolf Children
The Garden of Words
Hotarubi no Mori e
Whisper of the Heart
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
5cm
My Neighbour Totoro
Ponyo [didn't really like it]

I would appreciate it if you would provide a brief summary and/ even your personal opinion.

That's about it. I thank you in advance for your help and look forward to your suggestions.

Last edited by Midnight2352; 2013-12-20 at 15:31.
Midnight2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 13:17   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
One groups you might visit with a long list of recommendations is:

The Studio Ghibli Group: http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=224

That being said, the two movie that immediately jumps to mind are Kiki's Delivery Service and Only Yesterday. The latter especially is one of the most underappreciated of all the Ghibli films in my opinion, but it is definitely my favorite flower among the bouquet. Personal preference, most likely.
Old 2013-12-20, 13:23   Link #3
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
One groups you might visit with a long list of recommendations is:

The Studio Ghibli Group: http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=224

That being said, the two movie that immediately jumps to mind are Kiki's Delivery Service and Only Yesterday. The latter especially is one of the most underappreciated of all the Ghibli films in my opinion, but it is definitely my favorite flower among the bouquet. Personal preference, most likely.
I never would have found out about the movie Only Yesterday. I have never heard of it until today and have taken a great interest in it. I will watch this one tonight and the other another. Thank you for your help!
Old 2013-12-20, 15:24   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

For now you could simply watch films made by the same director/studio/writer.

Whisper of the Heart and My Neighbour Totoro are made by Studio Ghibli which Flower has already covered. You have a large choice already but my personal favourite is also Only Yesterday.

5 Centimeters Per Second is made by Makoto Shinkai, whose direction, art and writing is distinctive and easily recognisable. His other works include The Garden of Words, The Place Promised In Our Early Days and The Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

Wolf Children and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time are written and directed by Mamoru Hosoda. His other works include Summer Wars.

And although it's not a film, since you liked Hotarubi no Mori e, you might want to check out Natsume's Book of Friends (TV Series). Same writer, same director, same studio: Same everything really...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 15:34   Link #5
kitten320

Berserk - while I prefer old anime series, you can try to check out the 3 movies though CG is too obvious.
A bit hard to explain but basically a main character joins a gang whose leader starved for power and gradually wins his way into court and kingdom. Aristocrats are not happy and treasons are set in action.
Based in knight era.

Howl no Ugoku Shiro - aka Howl's moving castle. A young girl is cursed to look like an old lady and ends up living with a magician named Howl. Watched it ages ago so don't remember many details.

Spirited Away - Chihiro's parents get turned into pigs and she is being trapped in spirit world. Now she has to save her parents and find way back.

Stranger: Mukou Hadan - a lonely samurai accidentally gets involved with a young boy who is being hunted down by some organization. Great action scenes.

Tekken: Blood Vengeance - that is if you are familiar with Tekken games
Old 2013-12-20, 17:39   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Colorful (Movie) - a very interesting Drama and Slice of Life movie.

Bungaku Shoujo - A movie dealing with those who were successful or not as writers and how they deal with it, it's somewhat in Mystery, Drama, and Romance for genres.

Eve no Jikan (Movie) - A movie about a futuristic setting dealing with androids and how things are impact as they become more human.

Series adapted as a movie:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari & Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari - The movie animation for the acclaimed TV series with impressive animation, and a very strong Psychological Thriller genre.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 08:24   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

See my post here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...32#post4387232
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-22, 16:19   Link #8
Theowne
耳をすませば

Since most people have covered the obvious recommendation (Ghibli films), I'll give some less known recommendations.

Mai Mai Miracle - A little known film with a lot of similar charm as My Neighbor Totoro and similar Ghibli films.

Junkers Come Here - Not quite in the same league as the other two, but a likable story about a young girl going through the divorce of her parents.

Then there are some films of Satoshi Kon

Millennium Actress - A beautiful story about the entire life of an actress from being a child to a reclusive elderly women.

Tokyo Godfathers - A more lighthearted story about an unlikely group of homeless characters having to take care of a child.

I also agree that if you liked Hotarubi no Mori e, you must try Natsume Yuujinchou.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote