AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-20, 23:08   Link #1
digger314

science vs magic

Any series that deal with science vs magic in a somewhat intelligent way? The only one that I know of is To Aru Majutsu no Index, and that was umm not very good. Especially since the "science" side uses super powers and that's just a form of magic...

I'm not keeping my hopes up for this one because it's probably very difficult to do well. But just thought I'd ask.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:16   Link #2
james0246

It's been awhile since I have seen these series, but I think Scrapped Princess and Utawarerumono might be what you are looking for...then again, these series might be more about Science and Magic co-existing, sorry my memory is a bit iffy on the matter.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:20   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Aoi recently released three episodes of Hidamari no Ki set in 19th century Japan. One of the main characters is a doctor who wants to use Western methods, but their practice has been banned by the ruling Shogunate. The permitted traditional methods include some shamanistic practices.

There's a similar sequence in the second season of Saiunkoku Monogatari where a plague has been attributed to supernatural causes. The heroine leads a group of imperial surgeons to treat the sufferers.
Old 2009-07-21, 03:17   Link #4
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
the Break Blade manga mecha series,
for having "Magic" powered robots VS a gundam-ish Real robot...
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-07-21, 03:22   Link #5
james0246

I can't believe that I forgot this - Mahou Tsukai Tai matches your desciption perfectly.
Old 2009-07-21, 15:47   Link #6
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

All I can think of at the moment is Those who hunt Elves . It combines science with right amount of magix . It even has an episode which features Heliocentric VS Geocentric argument . Its quite different from various shows listed , If I was to classify it then I would say Shonen Comedy .

Summary : Wiki

Old 2009-07-21, 19:38   Link #7
libba
nepenthes rajah

I can't say that Asura Crying (Asura Klein) dealt with it in an extremely intelligent way, but it had the element you are looking for. It is a new short 13 ep anime that has action, magic, mecha and some school life.
Old 2009-07-21, 21:44   Link #8
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Unfortunately I'd risk banning myself to throughly explain the reason why, but follow Umineko, and you won't need to look further.
Spoiler for minor thing:
Old 2009-07-22, 00:00   Link #9
digger314

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have seen Scrapped Princess and it's one of my favorite series. It's not _exactly_ what I'm looking for but is sufficiently close.
Old 2009-07-22, 00:44   Link #10
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Why not go for Fullmetal Alchemist?
Old 2009-07-22, 00:51   Link #11
digger314

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Why not go for Fullmetal Alchemist?
Hmm yes it's got that steampunk/magitek thing going which I do like. But I have seen the original and am following the remake.
Old 2009-07-22, 07:11   Link #12
Saleh
Inactive

Seconding Utawarerumono. Since your perception of magic includes espers and unexplainable phenomenons, I would recommend watching Simoun. In it theocratic nation of Simulacrum posses Simoun, aircrafts capable of wielding dreadful power by drawing signs in the sky, which uses relics of ancient technology while all the other nation posses aircraft of their Industial era. Industrialized nations compeled by their greed for cleaner and more powerful technology go to war with Simulacrum.