AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-05, 20:10   Link #381
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
She saw evidence that contradicted her theory but ignored it as it didn't fit her goal.
Spoiler for Scene:
Ima pretty sure they thought of Tenshi as some type of warden placed to safekeep this isolated location by God. She blends into school life and dorms to be amungst the students and keeps/maintains control/order. Thats the concept I got from Yurippe when she was explaining Tenshi. It's just now, in epside 5, Yurippe has confirmed her intelligence on Tenshi as being totally wrong. Or had assumed the wrong assumptions or maybe too much wishful thinking.

Thats the way I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
1.Obviously you missed the irony of the situation

2.Have always been critical of the SSS actions so NO its not out the ordinary. Until its proven that what they are doing is not futile and at best just playing militia i will continue to play devils advocate.
Sure, I was sad for Tenshi, such a cruel punishment she received after doing nothing wrong. From what I seen from her character she is very strong when coming into combat, but lacks alot in communication with others. Thus she couldnt explain her innocents to the teachers properly maybe ? Maybe she was shocked and speechless.

The operation was to rattle her repuatation with the students and teachers. But they got bigger results than planned. A unseen dismissal.

But however, the SSS set out with a goal to do a meal ticket lift, testing if Tenshi would show up regardless after being fired as the school pres. They didnt go after her meal ticket. It was by chance it landed in Otonashi hands.

In the end it may be futile, but at those times, they don't know. The whole reason SSS are at war with Tenshi is because they think of her as a Tenshi with contact to god. (Stating the obvious but just in case ^_^) If you cause a big enough ruckus, or a series of disturbances, generally the higher ups would eventually look into it.

Is that what you ment ?

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2010-05-05 at 21:06.
Old 2010-05-05, 20:27   Link #382
dredmorte

I don't understand why the characters and you readers think anything of the bots. They're just that, bots, souless things, less than animals. They don't think, they don't feel. They just act, like robots, following a program.

I wouldn't show an mercy on them, in fact, I wouldn't show any mercy on Tenshin, even if only because she did not even try to communicate with the rebels. You can't feel pity for an aggressor who doesn't even try to reason and negotiate.

If I were one of the characters, probably one of the first things I'd do is kidnap one of the female bots and have fun. And then grab a machinegun and start hell on the school courtyard. No better way to summon the Creator.

Also, on the school rooftop, I most certainly wouldn't have hesitated taking the shot on Tenshin. Bunch of pussies.

But ya I did like the episode
Old 2010-05-05, 20:48   Link #383
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmorte View Post
I wouldn't show an mercy on them, in fact, I wouldn't show any mercy on Tenshin, even if only because she did not even try to communicate with the rebels. You can't feel pity for an aggressor who doesn't even try to reason and negotiate.
Tenshi isn't the aggressor, though. In fact, they've made that fact 100% certain throughout the series that she only takes action as a response to something the SSS does, making the SSS the aggressors.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:54   Link #384
New/Old
Old to the New

Correct. She's actually quite passive and only goes after them when they're in the process of doing something against the rules. Every other time? Nothing at all. No attempt at vengeance for shooting her or anything. Just acting as if it never happened, even being quite friendly.

If anything, she can only be described as reactive and Yuri notes this. They build weapons? Tenshi develops guard skills. Otonashi shoots her? She takes out her hand sonic and slowly walks toward him, despite the ease of speed she can go at. Only situation that can be considered agressive that has been shown up to this point is her movement toward Guild.
Old 2010-05-05, 22:24   Link #385
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Firstly, Jarmel, you need to throw out your preconceptions regarding what angels, death or whatnot is like. This is a fictional story in a fictional setting, involving fictional beings thrust into fictional situations. The author clearly does not define the afterlife as a merry, jolly, no-sickness and no-need-to-eat heaven. Open your mind a bit. Angels are fictional beings. In entertainment media, for example, their definition may range from loyal winged servants of god, to AT-Field producing harbingers of destruction, statue-like beings that kick you back in time or break your neck when you're not looking, self-conscious beings made purely of AIM, or cute lolis that go pi-piru-piru-piru-pi-piru-pi while randomly bashing your head out.
Quote:
There hasn't been any evidence against the idea that the teachers or principal know more than they let on. We haven't seen any attempts though to even ask the teachers what they know.
This can be applied to every character. Give me better proof. Additionally, the principal's lines do not imply feigned ignorance.

Quote:
I was talking about the prequel. At the end of episode 3, the truth was slapped in her face. Considering the fact that them showing up to the tests wasn't that big of a deal hints that they've probably been going to class in the mean time.
No. Figuring out that Kanade develops her own powers does not automatically make her human. This is the kind of hasty conclusion-making that we want to avoid. And did you miss the fact that the SSS has its own special class? They wear the Class 3S uniform, which is different from the normal school uniform. Watch Ep01 again, Yuri explains it.

Quote:
She's had evidence in the prequels refuting her hypothesis but she still figures it was sound enough to base a rebellion on.
Like what you presented below?
Quote:
1.The fact that Tenshi acting surprised that they think there is a link between her and God
2.Tenshi not taking aggressive action even in the prequels to maintain control
3.Tenshi's room being similar to that of a regular person
4.Tenshi not exhibiting any sort of divine or all knowing knowledge
The only thing in support of her being angel is the supernatural abilities in a world full of dead people where they can MAKE GUNS OUT OF MUD. Tenshi has never stated or implied that she was on a higher level of existence.
  1. Everyone acts like this. Her secretive behavior doesn't help either.
  2. Did you miss what happened with Chaa?
  3. Then the question is, why would she not? Is there a rule that states that angels should have special room layouts and decor?
  4. This is the only valid evidence you have provided. As sysadmin, she should not have any blind spots, and the NPCs should not oppose her. However, this does not address the possibility of her role as being that world's police.
Now, allow me to show you, from Yuri/Hinata's POV, the evidence that suggests that Kanade is above the NPCs (note that I am merely pointing out the character's views, NOT what they really are from an outside observer's perspective):
  1. She knows which class newcomers belong to, and guides them to their respective classrooms almost immediately upon recovering consciousness (upon arrival).
  2. "The unreasonable people in this world who have focused on the principal because they think the principal is the highest position. However, they are wrong, in this world, the principal is of little consequence. As this error has continued to propagate, I must correct it."
  3. Hand Sonic, and other guard skills. The technology difference is like Terran vs Protoss. She can summon and dismiss them at will, and near-instantaneously. Manual gun creation takes time, and relies on memory and technical knowledge regarding the gun's mechanisms. Her guard skills are not limited to the crude methods stated above.
  4. She opposes them every time they do something that does not conform to school regulations.
The fact that Kanade never takes the time to clarify their misunderstandings doesn't help either.

Quote:
It seems you are thinking in the same manner they are. Black and white when there are dead obvious alternatives. Again they never have had to fight Tenshi to avoid disappearance. Yurippe wanted an enemy or someone to fight because of her past life and her regrets. In episode 1, Yurripe stated that pretending to follow the rules would cause disappearance too leaving her to the mindset that either it's fight or disappear when the alternative has always been peaceful rebellion. This is confirmed by the Guild's presence in that they don't openly fight Tenshi but they still exist for whatever reason. Open conflict is not nor has never been a necessity to avoid disappearing.
Such as? And they were not actively trying to have a gunfight with her in the past. They employed firearms only to protect the integrity of their operations. They only started becoming more offensive lately because underground Guild had been demolished, depriving them of their main source of mass-produced firearms.

Quote:
When the person isn't going to give you the information and you can't get the information from them then it does become idiotic. They even fully admit that they can't beat Tenshi in the Guild episode and all they can do is stall her. So why instead of wasting their time fighting a war they know they can't win, don't they use those resources into a science section dedicated to finding out where they are or even an intelligence division.
Because they're not scientists? And who's to say they haven't done all they could already? They discovered Underground Guild. They figured out a way to get free meal tickets (without relying on funds from the school) without being labeled as thieves. They got a handful of computers and radio communication devices. How many high-schoolers know programming language? Among their group, only Christ has that potential. And, it seems he's still a relatively new recruit (relative to the core group).
Spoiler for Track Zero / Core SSS members:

Quote:
No that's my main point. They've been there for months or years and they still don't have any long term plans, don't know their enemies names, or even about the world around them. Let's try to avoid assumptions especially ones that aren't even slightly implied in the works. There is a difference between inferences and assumptions. The characters(other than Christ) act as if they haven't heard of technology. I mean all they've done it seems was try and hack Tenshi's computer. We haven't seen them mention the lack of internet, shopping, or pretty much anything hinting at a larger world. It's poor writing.
To lure out God, or find out if he exists or not. Not as important if a label does the job just as well. They do, just not as much as Kanade. See above, and the novel thread for details.

Such as? Point them out clearly. And why would there be a shopping mall in a school? Why would there be an internet connection when there is no ISP and WWW to connect to? It is heavily implied that the school is isolated, and there is nothing beyond the forest. You can get this from even just Chapter 1 of the prequel. Read it again. And please, take that excuse somewhere else.
Old 2010-05-06, 01:16   Link #386
Jarmel

You know what, I'll just wait till the show is over and I see what they have and haven't done. For all I know they could have actually done some of the stuff I've suggested but it was held off for dramatic purposes. I'll wait till we have a better understanding of past actions and events before I definitely say what they did and didn't do.(That and the huge response I just created was deleted when my computer crashed) I do think my points are valid up till this point but it would foolish to argue this further until all the data is out there. For all I know they might have a prequel episode dedicated to answering all of my concerns, which I doubt but who knows. I'll retract the poor writing statement until I see episode 13 and read the translated version of chapter 7.
Old 2010-05-06, 01:41   Link #387
zeth006

Yuri: "Then answer like aliens have taken over the Earth."

Haruhi Suzumiya would disagree and say they DO exist.

Last edited by zeth006; 2010-05-06 at 05:46.
Old 2010-05-06, 01:49   Link #388
zeth006

BTW...anyone know when the soundtrack for this is coming out?
Old 2010-05-06, 02:03   Link #389
zeth006

Spoiler for Spoiler - Ending of Ep5 (Warning, huge pic):

Takamatsu=Major Armstrong from FMA.

Shiina was more or less missing this ep.

Last edited by zeth006; 2010-05-06 at 16:08. Reason: Resized pic.
Old 2010-05-06, 02:40   Link #390
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Put that picture into spoiler zeth006. It's huge xD

Btw, it could be just animation flaw.
But any notice that the screen when Tenshi's meal ticket was flown off her hand. The whole screen actually looks like she hold the ticket up with one hand and then release it into the wind? Her hand was down before that

I thought she failed to grab it as it fly up. But it seems not (borrow this from milan kyuubi, don't mind Yurippe part)

Last edited by Pellissier; 2010-05-06 at 13:25. Reason: please use "url" tags or thumbnails for such humongous images (1.8 MB)
Old 2010-05-06, 02:45   Link #391
zeth006

I'm starting to like this anime. It's really growing on me. Like many others I've seen, I was originally skeptical throughout the first few episodes. But now that the studio has done its introductions, the plot looks like it could begin to pick up. IMO 13 episodes is too short. I won't be surprised in the least if they do a 2nd season--in fact, I'd be delighted to watch it.
Old 2010-05-06, 04:20   Link #392
Raa
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmorte View Post
I don't understand why the characters and you readers think anything of the bots. They're just that, bots, souless things, less than animals. They don't think, they don't feel. They just act, like robots, following a program.

If I were one of the characters, probably one of the first things I'd do is kidnap one of the female bots and have fun. And then grab a machinegun and start hell on the school courtyard. No better way to summon the Creator.

Also, on the school rooftop, I most certainly wouldn't have hesitated taking the shot on Tenshin. Bunch of pussies.

But ya I did like the episode
It's yet have to be proven that she is a bot...
Old 2010-05-06, 05:24   Link #393
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
You know what, I'll just wait till the show is over and I see what they have and haven't done. For all I know they could have actually done some of the stuff I've suggested but it was held off for dramatic purposes. I'll wait till we have a better understanding of past actions and events before I definitely say what they did and didn't do.(That and the huge response I just created was deleted when my computer crashed) I do think my points are valid up till this point but it would foolish to argue this further until all the data is out there. For all I know they might have a prequel episode dedicated to answering all of my concerns, which I doubt but who knows. I'll retract the poor writing statement until I see episode 13 and read the translated version of chapter 7.
The main problem I see with most of your objections is twofold:

One: You make your analysis as an observer, not a participant, in which you have -and use- a far bigger picture of the situation than each individual member of the cast has, as well as ignore a lot of the emotional conflicts that lead characters to come to the conclusions they do.

Two: As an observer, you also use a ton of hindsight. Sure, in hindsight some things suddenly make perfect sense, except that the characters didn't have that same hindsight when they made the mistake.

It's like watching a war movie and knowing the enemy of the good guys is going to attack, and being upset by the good guys not preparing for the attack. And after the attack is over, going on a rant how they should have protected their base. A lot of observations based on external knowledge and hindsight, few of which you can blame the characters for.
Old 2010-05-06, 11:08   Link #394
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Loved this episode. Tenshi is so moe, I freakin died. Why they have to pick on her Tenshi for SaiMOE 2010!!!!
Old 2010-05-06, 16:09   Link #395
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
Loved this episode. Tenshi is so moe, I freakin died. Why they have to pick on her Tenshi for SaiMOE 2010!!!!

Haha. The quiet, innocent girl moe never gets old!
Old 2010-05-07, 04:34   Link #396
Natsuru

So funny when Hinata hits the ceiling ... Again!
Old 2010-05-07, 08:26   Link #397
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
The rocket chair parts were hilarous. HaYuri must be some kind of magician to pull that off
Old 2011-03-01, 23:23   Link #398
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

The rocket chair part... just GENIOUS! Specially the Hinata's last one

In other aspect, I really felt bad about Tenshi, looks so innocent and nice... and just got a massive agresion from SSS. Was looking for her favourite plate to eat and get herselft out of the depresion and even THAT flew away.
But were nice to discover that she was human, and explains her behaviour and her reaction when got shoot in the first chapter.

Didn't know that Yui could sing so good.
Old 2012-07-03, 15:22   Link #399
AndurilWielder

You know, I was always wondering about Mapo Tofu, for the longest time since I saw it mentioned in this episode.

So, when I went to Chicago, I had some Mapo Tofu, as it was on the menu, and asked for extra meat (apparently the meat is the spiciest), but its actually not all that bad. Either me an Angel share a food preference, or the show exaggerates it
Old 2012-07-04, 08:19   Link #400
GDB

Or, as a third option, the restaurant you went to didn't use as much spice as they should have. This is the option I'm going with, since most foreign food places are knock-offs at best.
Closed Thread